“Mommy, what’s going on?!” a frightened Tommy ran towards her clutching frantically at her dress, begging her to pick him up. She grabbed him and shoved him towards Mike shouting “Run!” as she took off towards the house. “Where are we going?” Mike asked, trying to keep pace with her. “We aren’t goin’ anywhere, you two are. Ah want you to drive to your parents house in South Carolina and stay there for at least two weeks.” She told him as she pushed them towards the garage amongst frightened, running guests.

“Jane, please come with us,” Mike pleaded “I don’t care that you’re a mutant, I lo-”

“Ah’m not Jane.” She said harshly, cutting him off before he said that four letter word that would make her feel even worse. She sighed at the shocked look on Mike’s face and softened her tone, “Look Mike, Ah really do care about you and Tommy but Ah’m just not the woman that you fell in love with, and Ah... Ah love someone else. I’m sorry but you need to go, it’s for your own safety.” He looked crestfallen at this explanation but toughened when he realized that his son would be in danger if they stayed there.

She gave him a smile and dropped a kiss on Tommy’s head whispering “I will always love you,” before pushing them towards the SUV and jumping into the Accord. She figured they had mere minutes before Mystique woke up and summoned Magneto or whomever she worked for nowadays.

As they simultaneously pulled out of the garage, Mike yelled out his window “Jane... what’s your real name?” she paused before saying “Marie, my name’s Marie. Goodbye Mike.”

“Goodbye, Jane.” He replied, saying goodbye to the facade that he was in love with, releasing her from past promises.

Jane Bayfield was dead.

§––––––––––§

Drive, drive, drive, drive, drive. She told herself mentally to keep from sinking wholly into her newfound memories and wrecking the car. That was all she needed now, what with Mystique probably hot on her tail.

She didn’t have to think twice about where she was going, since nowhere sounded safer or would offer more clues to her missing past than Xavier’s School for the Gifted. The Mansion. Suddenly she was nervous. What if something had happened to everyone at Xavier’s too? What if the school was gone? What if Logan was gone?

She hadn’t paid much attention to mutant issues while she was playing house besides that newscast she had seen of Hank at the doctor’s office, so she didn’t have much of an idea of what was going on in her world. A wave of depression seeped into her mind as she mulled these thoughts over. “No,” she finally said out loud. Everyone would be fine. When she got back to the Mansion, everything would go back to normal. Well, as normal as things always were at a home for displaced mutants. Yes, that’s right. Everything would be just fine. Fine, fine, fine, fine, fine...