One month later.

“Jane!” Mike’s sister Helen called “your guests are looking for you,” she said smiling as she came up behind Jane fussing with a platter of food in the kitchen. “I’ll get that honey, you get out there, after all it is your engagement party.”

“Thanks Helen,” Jane said in a worn out voice, a headache was forming in her temples “I’ll see you out there.” She combed her fingers through her light brown hair as she pushed through the kitchen door and observed the 40 or so people milling about her and Mike’s home, amazed at how her small ‘a few friends and family’ wedding guest list had grown.

The wedding was a mere five months away, and this late engagement party was really a dry run to see if she could cater for this many people at her wedding or if she needed to splurge for a catering company. She was still trying to keep the wedding simple, but it seemed to grow more and more complicated as more people were added to the guest list. She sighed, realizing that a catering company would be necessary if she wanted to enjoy her wedding at all.

“Mommy!” she winced as Tommy yelled for her across the room and several people turned to look at the boy running up to her. “Tommy, you need to use your inside voice honey, okay?” she said when he reached her. “Okay mommy. Can I go play outside wif Meredith and Connor?” he asked motioning to his cousins excitedly.

“Of course darling but stay in the yard.” she responded. He started off before turning back to her “Do I haf to use my inside voice outside?” he asked. Jane laughed “No, honey you can use your outside voice.” He bounded off just as Mike walked up to her.

“Helen told me that we’re ready for dinner outside,” he offered “You ready for the ‘thank you for coming’ speech?” he asked with a smile as he swung his arm around her waist. “I’m ready for bed,” she sighed “but I guess that thank you’s and dinner come before that.” Jane smiled tiredly as she rubbed her aching temples.

§––––––––––§


In the backyard, Mike stood from his seat and tapped his glass, commanding the attention of everyone present, “Before dinner is served, Jane and I would like to thank you all for coming,” he began and Jane slowly stood despite the near blinding headache that was pounding through her head “It really means a lot to us that...” Jane was suddenly pulled hard into the truck scene {‘Ah’m Rogue’ ‘Were ya in the army? Doesn... doesn’t that mean you were in tha army?’ she asked nodding towards his dog tags. He didn’t respond.}

She blinked as the people around her came back into focus. Shit. This could not be happening again. It had been a month since her last hallucination and she was not about to let them come back. Mike finished saying whatever he had been saying and turned to her “Would you like to say anything honey?” he asked her.

“I...” She was pulled into a vision of the truck once more. {‘So what kind of a name is Rogue?’ the man asked. ‘Ah dunno, what kind of a name is Wolverine?’ the woman retorted. ‘My name’s Logan,’ he said after a pause. ‘Marie,’ she offered back as she glanced at the side mirror, seeing long dark brown hair framing large brown eyes set in a pale, young face. Jane’s face.}