Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: They're not mine. They belong to Marvel and Stan Lee. Thanks for letting me play with them!

A/N: I know I told you to be prepared for a long chapter but I just couldn't post this whole thing at once. It was a monster! Something like 7600 words. So a friend talked me into making it into two chapters. Sorry if that disappoints anyone but I will have the second half up very soon! Thanks for reading!
Marie and Jubilee had planned a marathon day of after Thanksgiving shopping to kick off the Christmas season on Friday. The cousins had decided, after a brief debate, that they would get together on Friday night at the local bar in Centennial, The Broken Spoke. They always had a live band on Friday and Saturday nights. Usually it was just local talent but they were generally pretty good and they tended to draw a large crowd.

Marie and Jubilee were the last to arrive and had a hard time finding a parking spot in the gravel lot. They could hear the rhythm of the music pulsing before they even got in the door. The scents and sounds hit them full force when they opened the door. Inside it was dim and crowded with the scent of cigarette smoke mixed with the spicy and greasy smell of the food they served.

They pushed their way into the crowd and since Jubilee wasn’t any taller than Marie, they had to crane their necks to see above most of them. Scott, who had been in charge of watching for them, stood up on his chair and whistled to get their attention. Jubilee spotted him and they made their way over to the two tables they had staked out in the corner. It wasn’t easy since they were stopped every few tables to say hello to someone they knew.

“Wow,” Jubilee said as she pulled up a seat, “It looks like the entire county is here tonight.” She had to speak up to be heard above the crowd and the music.

“We were beginning to wonder if you were going to show up,” Scott said. “We all know how women get when they’re shopping.”

“Don’t knock it,” Marie said. “This is when we find the best bargains.”

“You can have it,” Scott said with a shake of his head. “Anything I need to buy will still be there the day before Christmas or I obviously didn’t need it.”

“That’s a man for you,” Jubilee rolled her eyes. “Always thinking ahead.”

“I wish I could have gone,” Hannah sighed. “I just didn’t think that a day of shopping in the style you two have would do me any good. I’d probably have to sleep for a week afterward.”

A pretty blond waitress came by to take their drink orders and told them she would be back as quick as possible with Marie’s beer and Jubilee’s Fuzzy Navel. When their drinks arrived, Jubilee and Scott got into a discussion on the pros and cons of mixed drinks over beer. Marie sipped her beer and took a moment to scan the crowd. She saw several more people she remembered from school and waved to them across the bar. It suddenly dawned on her that she had yet to see Logan. She was sure he had said he would be here tonight. Not that it mattered to her where he was or what he was doing she told herself.

As if on cue, Logan materialized on the dance floor with a cute little blond in a tight tee shirt and a short little skirt that left nothing to the imagination. She wasn’t the least bit surprised to see him dancing with a woman who looked like that. It probably took her two hours to tease and comb her hair into that unlikely shape and put on the buckets of makeup she was wearing Marie thought sourly. She looked away from Logan and his dancing partner and tried to focus on what they were talking about around her. She wasn’t going to think about him tonight if she could help it. She didn't care who he was with, she was here to have a good time and relax.

Logan had pretended not to notice when Marie and Jubilee entered the bar but it hadn’t been easy. Besides the fact that he could smell them, especially the unique scent that was Marie, the eyes of every man in the place were practically glued on them as well. Jubilee had always been a pretty girl and tonight she looked every bit the beautiful woman. Her black hair was cut short and looked like she did nothing more than run her fingers through it making it look tousled and stylish at once. She was wearing a short little flowered dress, yellow of course, with a denim jacket and the requisite cowboy boots. In Wyoming, you couldn’t go to a bar to dance without them. Jubilee was fun to be around and knew how to have a good time but it was Marie who held his attention.

Tonight she was wearing a pair of faded jeans that rode low on her hips and her favorite old cowboy boots. She had the cuffs rolled back on a long-sleeved white cotton blouse and had it knotted at her waist, leaving a hint of her belly showing when she moved. He noted the short gloves tucked in her back pocket and felt a grin tug at his lips. No one could ever say she wasn't prepared. Her hair was loose and tucked behind her ears, the way Logan preferred it, with her platinum streaks perfectly framing her face. She looked beautiful and confident, a deadly combination in any woman.

Logan was relieved when the song finally ended and he could get away from Misty Buckman. They usually spent time together but tonight Logan didn’t find Misty’s company nearly as entertaining or appealing. He just wanted to grab a beer and sit down at the table next to Marie. Who knew? Maybe by the end of the night he could coax her onto the dance floor where he could get his hands on her delectable little body.

Marie was laughing at something Scott had said and didn’t notice Logan as he went to the bar and grabbed a bottle of beer. He started making his way back through the crowd toward their table.

Gabe had coaxed Hannah out onto the dance floor even through all of her protests about being too pregnant to dance. Jubilee talked Bobby into dancing with her and Scott caught the eye of a brunette at the next table who was more than happy to accompany him.

Caleb moved over to take the chair across from where Jubilee had been sitting while he waited for a pool table to open up. “So how are you doing, Marie?”

Marie smiled at the look of concern on her cousin’s face. “I’m fine, Caleb.” She saw the doubt in his blue eyes and reached across the table to squeeze his hand. “Really, you don’t need to worry about me. You promised you wouldn’t.”

“I know. It would just be easier to know you had somebody to help look out for you when you go back to Denver.”

“I’m a big girl. As long as I listen to my doctor I’ll be fine. It’s just going to be hard to start taking more time for myself.”

Caleb smiled and cocked a brow. “So am I going to have to start calling you every day to remind you?”

“Funny, Caleb,” Marie said as she sipped her beer. “You know you could e-mail me and it would be a lot cheaper,” she teased.

“Yeah, right. And have you just delete all my messages? I think I’d better stick to the phone for this job. Besides, I've got a great calling plan.”

“Hey, Caleb!” Gabe shouted from near the pool tables. “There’s a table open back here if you’re interested.”

“I guess that’s my cue, pun intended. I hate to leave you alone, Marie,” Caleb apologized as he stood up to go.

“I can see you’re really heartbroken but don’t worry about me. I’ll just watch for a while.”

Marie’s solace was short lived when Logan moved from his table to the chair next to her. He had watched her talking with Caleb and was curious about what had made her look so serious. He thumped his beer bottle down on the table and spun the chair around and straddled it, resting his arms across the back.

Marie caught herself watching the bulge of his thigh muscles as he sat down. Just ignore him, Marie, she thought to herself, if he doesn’t start talking, you’ll be just fine.

“Having a good time?” Logan drawled and took a swig of his beer.

So he wanted to talk. Fine. She could handle that. “I was until a minute ago.”

Logan simply watched her for a minute, noting how she fought to keep her gaze from sliding to him. He allowed his gaze to peruse her from the top of her head to the tips of her boots.

“Is it just me or do I detect some hostility? I'm not real sure what I ever did to you but whatever it was, it must have been pretty bad.” Logan idly swirled the beer in his bottle before tipping his head back and taking another deep drink.

Marie leaned back in her chair and studied him for a moment, actually enjoying watching Logan's strong throat muscles work as he swallowed. She was feeling very relaxed due to the beer she had just consumed and the fact that she hadn’t eaten since lunch and blamed that on the sudden urge she had to run her tongue down Logan's neck. She shook the thought off and said, “So you think I'm hostile, huh?”

“A bit. You wanna tell me why?” Logan asked, searching her face.

“It’s just like a man not to listen,” Marie said with a sigh. “I’ve told you before and I’ll tell you again, you’re an ego-maniac, Howlett. Despite what you may have been told, you’re not God’s gift to women.”

Logan noticed Marie was done with her beer and motioned to the waitress to get her another. Logan grinned when he said, “Now that’s just not true, darlin’. Nobody’s ever had to tell me that…I just know it.”

Marie decided she really didn’t want to sit here and listen to any more of Logan’s nonsense and started to stand up. Logan quickly reached out and grasped her arm. “Sit down,” he growled. “There's no reason for you to leave.”

“You don't think so?”

“No,” was Logan's terse answer. Marie sat back down but eyed him dubiously when he said, “Do you think we could call a truce for tonight?”

“I didn’t know we were at war,” Marie said with an arch of her brows.

“You know what they say about knowing your enemy.”

“And are you the enemy, Logan?” Marie leaned forward, searching his face. “I think there’s a lot of women who wouldn’t agree with that.”

Logan forced his eyes up from where Marie's cleavage threatened to spill out of the confines of her hot pink bra. He could just see the edge of it peeking past the deep vee of her shirt. “Let’s just leave the other women out of this, darlin'. They’re not here and you are.”

“Don’t get the idea that I’m like those other women, Howlett. You can’t seduce me with a smile and a few flattering comments. I’m not interested.”

“Who said I was?” he countered.

The waitress appeared with Marie’s beer and sat it on the table, saving her from having to comment.

“Anything else, Logan?” the waitress asked sweetly.

“That’s all, Amy. Thanks.”

Marie glared at Logan as the waitress left. “What did I do now?” Logan asked.

“I suppose she was another one of your conquests?” Marie asked as she took a sip of the fresh beer.

“Did we or did we not agree on a truce.”

Marie looked at him coolly, as she said, “No, you suggested it and I’ve been trying to determine why we need one. I’ve spent enough years despising you, why change now?”

“It’s just for tonight. We’re all here to have a good time and I don’t want the friction between us to make your cousins uncomfortable.” Logan reached out and rested his big warm hand on top of hers on the table. “I promise, tomorrow you can tear into me all you want.”

Marie was momentarily startled by the feel of his hand on hers and forced herself not to flinch. She slid her hand out, willing it not to shake, and reached for her bottle of beer. “Good, that gives me something to look forward to.”

“Happy to be of service, ma’am,” Logan said with an amused grin and tipped his Stetson at her.

Marie brought the beer bottle to her lips to hide the answering grin she felt tugging at her mouth.

“You’d best watch it, darlin’. I saw you almost smile there. If you start doing that, I’ll think you want this truce to be permanent.”

“One smile does not a friendship make, sugar,” Marie replied flippantly.

“I’ll take whatever you have to give, darlin’.”

Marie was saved from responding when Jubilee and Bobby returned to the table.

“Marie, you’ve got to go dance. Did you see the moves that Bobby has out there?” Jubilee said as she slid into her seat.

“She’s right, you know. I pretty much put everybody here to shame. If you’re lucky I might even dance with you.” He winked at Marie and she laughed.

“I’m sure I’m missing out,” Marie agreed. “But not right now. I need a little more liquid courage before I get out there.”

“Don’t drink too much, Marie,” Jubilee warned. “Remember you haven't eaten anything since lunch.”

“I’m fine. This is only my second beer and I’ve been munching on chips and salsa since I sat down.”

Soon Scott arrived back at their table followed by a waitress with a round of whiskey shots for everyone. “To celebrate,” Scott explained. “We don’t get together near enough anymore. Besides, I want to see how sloshed we can get these two before they have to go back to Grandma’s tonight.” He grinned. “I can just see them trying to sneak up the stairs and getting caught. It’ll be just like old times.”

Jubilee rolled her eyes, tossed back her shot and slammed the glass down on the table. “You forget who you’re dealing with, Scott. I am your sister, remember?”

Scott stood up and shouted for the waitress. “Amy! Just bring us the bottle, would you?”

“How old are you two?” Marie laughed. “You’re both going to regret this in the morning.”

“We’re not drinking alone, Marie,” Jubilee grinned. “Or are you just afraid you won’t be able to keep up?”

“I’ll have you know I used to drink them under the table when I was in college.”

“That was in college. You’re getting so old that you probably can’t even handle one shot,” Bobby taunted.

“Yeah, that was like three whole years ago,” Scott taunted. “Now Bobby here is just a young pup. We’ve got to remember he’s got that curfew tonight at midnight.”

“That’s funny, Scott. I thought we had to be home earlier so you old fogies could watch the news and be in bed by 10:30.”

Amy had just shown up with the bottle of whiskey. Amid the insults being flung around the table, Marie grabbed the bottle and refilled all their glasses. She raised her shot glass in a salute and said, “Here's to all those that I love. Here's to all those that love me. And here's to all those that love those that I love, and all those that love those that love me.” She tipped her head back and the aged whiskey slid like silk down her throat.

“Now that’s more like it!” Scott exclaimed. “Grandpa will be proud to know you remembered his favorite toast.”

Marie sat back with a smile. “We Scot's have to stick together. Isn't that also what Grandpa would say? Now what were you saying about keeping up?”

**************************************************************************

Over the next hour, Logan watched as Marie became more intoxicated with each shot of whiskey. By his count, she was up to number four. On top of the two beers she’d already had, she would probably be noticing the effects well into tomorrow. She obviously hadn’t lost the competitive streak that had her trying to keep up with her male cousins who outweighed her by at least 50 pounds.

Marie knew she should slow down but couldn’t remember the last time she'd had so much fun. It had been a long time since she’d taken time out for herself. Through the alcohol-induced haze she was keenly aware of Logan sitting next to her. She was surprised that he hadn't been dancing with any of the women who came to their table to talk to him. She didn’t know if he had been keeping up with the rest of them on the number of shots he had taken but it didn’t seem like it. She vaguely recalled Scott telling her something about how his healing factor kept him from getting drunk, even if he wanted to.

She propped her chin on her upraised hand and narrowed her eyes to better focus on him. “What’s the matter, sugar? Can’t you keep up with us?”

Logan found he liked having the attention of those gorgeous eyes focused on him and the way she drawled the word sugar when she was talking to him. “The way you’re drinking, somebody’s gonna have to drive you home, darlin’.”

“That’s what I have Jubilee for.” Marie gestured toward her equally inebriated cousin. Obviously Logan had drunk more than she thought if he didn’t remember that she had come with Jubilee.

“I don’t think you’d better trust Jubilee to see that you get home tonight. I doubt she’s in much better shape than you are.”

Logan tried not to laugh at the stricken look on Marie’s face. “But who’s going to drive us home? I can’t leave my jeep here all night.”

“I’m sure we can find a way to get you, your jeep, and Jubilee all home without too much trouble.”

Marie was about to ask him how that would be possible when the band started playing one of her favorite songs. “I love this song!” She grabbed Logan’s forearm where it rested on the table. It was a lively two-step and she started tapping her boot along to the beat.

Logan was debating the wisdom of asking Marie to dance with him when Mike Johnson, the foreman from their ranch, stopped by their table.

“Mike, you’re here!” Marie exclaimed as she jumped up and hugged him. “Wanna dance with me?”

“Hi, Marie. Jubilee, Logan, Scott,” he nodded to each of them. “I was just going to offer to buy you that drink I promised you but I guess a dance will do.”

“First we dance, then we drink,” Marie smiled. She had underestimated the effects of the whiskey she had drunk and her legs buckled under her.

Logan moved like lightning and caught her around the waist with one steely arm before she could fall. “Maybe you should sit this one out,” he growled out.

Marie gave him her best frown. “Don’t tell me what to do, Logan. I’ll dance if I want.” She reached out and grasped Mike’s sleeve. She took a step and steadied herself. “There. See? I’m fine. I’ve just been sitting too long.”

Mike didn’t miss the flush on her cheeks or the over-bright look of her eyes. “If you’re sure, Marie,” Mike said.

“Of course I’m sure.” She flashed him a brilliant smile. “I wouldn’t want to miss a chance to dance with you, Mike.”

“Marie,” Logan clasped her arm to stop her. “What about your skin? You got it under control?” he said low enough only she could hear.

Marie scowled at him for interrupting her fun and forcing her to think about something she didn't want to. Without saying a word, she slipped her gloves from her back pocket and slid them deftly on. “Better, Dad?” she drawled at him.

Logan let her go and watched as Mike led her onto the dance floor. He noticed Marie was laughing and smiling up at Mike. When the tempo picked up, Mike and Marie moved from a two-step to the country swing. Maybe he had been wrong about the effect the alcohol had been having on her. She seemed to be doing all right now. Logan leaned back in his chair and watched her under the brim of his Stetson. He had a vague feeling of…something. It couldn’t be jealousy. There was nothing to be jealous of. Mike and Marie were old friends and if she wanted to dance with him that was none of Logan’s business because he sure as hell didn’t have any claim on her.

Logan’s musings were interrupted when Caleb, Gabe, and Hannah announced that they were leaving. Hannah was tired and Caleb had to take a deposition in the morning. He bid them all goodnight and noticed Marie and Mike heading back toward their table.

When the song ended, Marie had begged off on the next one. “I think I could use another drink. I’m feeling a bit dry.”

Mike doubted another drink was what she needed but led her back to the table and deposited her on the seat she had vacated. He pulled up a chair from a nearby table and sat down next to her. Another round of drinks arrived and everyone joined in. Marie passed on any more whiskey and instead took her time nursing a beer. It was warm in the bar and she slipped her gloves off, tossing them on the table.

She was having a good time catching up with what had been going on in Centennial and found herself flirting with Mike. It must have been the alcohol because she'd never thought of Mike in that way, at least not since she was 12. Still, she found herself leaning in closer than necessary to hear what he said and was surprised to find her hand resting on his firm thigh. Instead of withdrawing it, she left it there, enjoying the sensation of the rough fabric against her fingers.

Logan sat back and watched as the flirtation between Mike and Marie continued. How could a smart man like Mike be fooled like that? He had to know Marie wasn’t really interested in him and it was just the alcohol at work. Logan frowned. Hell, that wasn’t necessarily true. If she was looking at him the way she was Mike, he would be doing more than just sitting there talking to her about old times. And the way she was leaning in toward him was showing off more of her cleavage than Logan thought was absolutely necessary.

The band switched to a slower set and Logan decided he had had enough of sitting there watching Marie flirt with another man. He slipped on a pair of thin leather gloves he'd tucked into his pocket earlier. He'd told himself it was just in case he needed them but somewhere in the back of his mind he had hoped there would be a reason to touch Marie tonight. It wasn't that he didn't trust her but with the amount of alcohol she'd consumed, who knew how good her concentration was at this point. He stood up and walked around Mike’s chair to stand next to her. “Come on, darlin’. They’re playing our song.”

Marie looked confused. “What are you talking about, sugar? We don’t have a song.” She drew her eyebrows together and thought for a minute, “Do we?”

“Of course we do. And this is it.” He grinned as he held out his hand to her. This was going to be like taking candy from a baby.
Chapter End Notes:
You won't have to wait long for the next chapter, I promise!