Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Don't own 'em, wish I did, so they could have some good clean fun, just like this!
Thanksgiving Day dawned clear and bright. There was a crispness in the air that brought with it thoughts of snow and the coming holiday season. Marie and Jubilee were up early to help their grandparents prepare for the family that would soon be converging on the ranch. Marie decided her plans for an early morning ride would have to wait. Jubilee’s parents, Tom and Susan Summers, were the first to arrive since they lived in a separate house on the ranch. They were soon followed by their Aunt Melissa and Uncle Charles Nelson and then Marie’s parents, John and Nancy Summers. Jubilee’s oldest brother, Gabe and his very pregnant wife Hannah along with 5-year-old Jeremy and 3-year-old Dana soon followed. Melissa and Charles’ sons Caleb and Bobby were expected shortly before dinner.

The fact that Scott and Logan had yet to show had, so far, been the highlight of Marie’s day. Why couldn’t Logan be spending the day with his brother? She knew he was stationed overseas so all the better. At least that way he wouldn’t be here. She had already decided her best bet was to avoid him by keeping herself busy in the kitchen with the rest of the women, which is where they usually were anyway. Some things never changed.

As the older women were putting the finishing touches on dinner, Marie, Jubilee, and Hannah were pushed out the door to set the dining room table. Jubilee grumbled as they sat out the dinner plates, “Do you think we’ll ever be adults or will we always be the kids when we get together?”

“Hey,” Hannah chimed in from her seat at the table where she was sorting silverware, “don’t knock it. I enjoy every minute of pampering I get at these family dinners.”

“That’s just because you’re always pregnant,” Marie joked. “Pregnant women always get the most attention.”

“Believe me, this is definitely going to be the last one, too. I already told Gabe that three was my limit.”

“Yeah,” Jubilee grinned, “we’ll believe that when we see it. I see the way my brother looks at you. I think you’re going to have to take some precautions in order for that to work.”

“We should all be so fortunate to have a husband like that,” Marie sighed. “I’m beginning to wonder if the only decent males were born into this family. That will make it a little difficult to find someone who would make a good husband and father.”

“Boy am I lucky I caught one of them then,” Hannah laughed. “I could still be a young single woman with a great career and all the freedom I wanted like you two. Wouldn’t that be hard to take?”

“Is that sarcasm I hear?” Jubilee said with a raise of her brows. “This family must be rubbing off on you more than I imagined. Or is that just the seven month hormones kicking in?”

“Believe me, by the third pregnancy you’re pretty good at ignoring the hormones so it’s definitely sarcasm. You two might not believe me, but there are times I still wish I was single and didn’t have the pressures of a family to worry about. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t trade a day of it for anything but sometimes it would be nice just to get away for a while.”

“I can understand that,” Marie said, “but it would also be nice to have what you do. I love being an aunt to Melanie’s two girls but they live so far away and Derek hardly ever lets them come back to visit. It would be nice to have my own baby before I turn 30.”

“It kind of seems like that’s the magic number, doesn’t it?” Jubilee chimed in. “I’d like to have one by then, too, or at least know I was in a relationship that could lead to marriage and babies.”

“Okay,” Hannah said as she pushed away from the table, “that’s enough of this ‘feel sorry for me’ talk. You are both young, smart, beautiful women who don’t have any worries in that department. When the right man comes along it will probably just hit you out of the blue. Trust me. I definitely wasn’t expecting to find Gabe when I did.”

“I don’t know, ladies,” Gabe said as he came through the doorway and moved to press a kiss to the top of Hannah’s head, “I’ve always wondered about the wisdom of trusting my wife with too many things.”

“Careful, honey. I could make your life pretty miserable for the next few months if you’re not nice,” Hannah said and tipped her head back to receive a proper kiss from her husband.

“I am being nice. I just thought things were starting to sound kind of serious in here. What’s that all about? Jubilee's never serious for more than a minute at a time.”

“Jubilee and Marie are just worried about becoming old maids,” Hannah said with a roll of her eyes.

“Hmmm,” Gabe mused as he reached for the relish tray on the table, “I can see why they would be concerned about that. I mean, they’re what? 25 already? They’re practically over the hill.”

“Very funny, Gabe,” Jubilee said. “We’re allowed to worry you know. It’s not like we’ve got a lot of hot prospects beating down our doors.”

“Exactly,” Marie said. “We don’t all have the perfect life like you do. Not that this is a bad life but you know what I mean.”

“No, enlighten me Marie. You know I’m just a man and it sometimes takes a while for things to sink in,” Gabe laughed.

“Fine. It’s like this. Neither of us is getting any younger. You have to remember that it takes time to get to know somebody once you start dating them. So say you date for a year at least before you even think about getting engaged.” Marie moved around the table setting out plates while she continued, “Then you have to be engaged for another year before you have the wedding. After that if you want to have kids, who knows how long that could take.”

“Right,” Jubilee piped in. “And that doesn't account for the necessity of finding someone who doesn't have some sort of prejudice against mutants or people who have mutant relatives. So see, now we’re up to at least age 28 because we still haven’t even met these men!”

“Okay, I get the picture. But I still don’t see how either of you has anything to worry about. At least you’re waiting for the right man and not just jumping head first into a relationship.” Gabe stopped and thought for a moment. “So what if the man for you was already somebody you know but have just been overlooking?”

“Don’t try and pull that one on me,” Marie said. “The only men I even associate with are the ones at my office and I honestly can’t see me with any of them. They’re almost all married and I think the only single ones are probably gay.”

Gabe shook his head. “Why do women always say that?”

Jubilee moved over and took a seat across from her brother. “Because it's true. How many single men do you know who aren't a) gay, b) scared spitless of commitment, c) complete morons, or d) so homely their parents had to tie a pork chop around their neck to get the dog to play with them when they were little? Where are all the hot, smart, single men?” She sighed and reached for a carrot.

Gabe choked on his laugh and Hannah hid her smile behind her hand. Marie only grinned. “Isn't that an oxymoron? Hot smart men?”

“You know,” Logan said from where he lounged in the doorway, “I have some single friends if you’re interested.”

Marie whirled around to face the door and felt her spirits sink. So much for her prayers being answered and Logan being hit by a truck on his way here. Not that that would have stopped him for long. Marie watched as he eased away from the doorway and swaggered over to the table. Yes, that was definitely how she would describe it. Swaggering. He always seemed to have that ‘God’s-gift-to-women’ attitude about him. Was she the only one who picked up on that?

“Hey, Logan,” Jubilee said with a grin. She hopped up and gave him a hug. “Happy Thanksgiving. And no, I’m not interested. You forget I know most of your friends.”

“That hurts, Firecracker. Here I thought you were my friend and then you go and say that about the guys I hang around with? Some friend you are.” He grinned and hugged her back. Switching his attention to the other side of the table he tipped his Stetson and said, “Hannah you’re looking beautiful as always.”

“Flattery will get you everywhere, Logan,” Hannah said with a smile. “You know I look big as a house.”

Logan walked around the table and studied her for a moment. “Nope, not a house. Maybe a small shed but definitely still beautiful.”

“Thank you,” Hannah said as she stood up to hug him. “A handsome man saying you look beautiful is just what a pregnant woman needs.”

Logan smiled that devastating smile. “Just telling the truth.” He reached out to shake Gabe’s hand. “You are one very lucky man, Gabe. Those two rascals of yours about knocked Scott over when they came bustin’ out the front door. I think he got roped into a game of touch football before he even got in the house.”

“I should have known that’s where he’d be,” Gabe smiled. “He never can resist those little devils with their charming grins. They may look like angels but they have their mother’s ability to manipulate even the toughest of us with just a crook of their little fingers.”

Marie was amazed at the kinship everyone seemed to have for Logan. Was she the only one who saw how egotistical and over-confident he was? Obviously that was the case. Maybe she would have to set everyone straight on how hardheaded and stubborn he could be. If only she could think of a way to do it that wouldn’t make everyone think that she cared what they thought about him. She wouldn’t want anyone to get the wrong impression.

Marie was so absorbed in her own thoughts that she didn’t notice everyone staring at her. It was only when Jubilee snapped her fingers in front of her face that she realized it. She looked startled when she said, “What? Were you talking to me?”

“We just wondered if you had heard from Melanie. Were she and the girls going to make it back for Thanksgiving?”

“I don’t think so. Derek promised Samantha and April they would get to see us for Christmas. By the time it gets here he will have found some reason or another to keep them away again. I just don’t know what my sister sees in that jerk. He's nothing but a closet mutant hater. Do you suppose he ever thinks about the possibility that his own kids could be mutants? He'd probably disown them in a heartbeat.”

They all felt Marie's frustration and wondered what would happen if that was the case.

“It would serve him right and the girls would be better off without him, believe me,” Jubilee said. “I think Mel was just blinded by the dollar signs that the great Derek Caldwell represented. Do you suppose she regrets giving up her family?”

“I honestly don’t know. None of us seem to know her anymore,” Marie said with a sigh. “I guess if that’s how she chooses to live her life then it’s her decision, not mine. Besides, Mom and Dad are thinking about flying out to Washington to see them over the holidays so that will give Derek an excuse not to let them come out here. He must be afraid they won’t come back to keep such a tight reign on them.”

Before anyone else could comment, they were interrupted by a blood-curdling scream. “Uncle Logan! You’ve got to come out here! I just got a touchdown against Uncle Scott but now Dana wants to be on his team so it won’t be fair. You’ve gotta come out here and help me!”

At the slam of the front door, Logan smiled. “I guess that’s my cue. Anybody else interested?”

“Count me in,” Gabe said. “We can team up and cream Scott before he even knows what hit him.”

“Don’t leave me out, guys,” Jubilee laughed. “You know I wouldn’t want to miss out on this.”

When they reached the front porch, they found that Caleb and Bobby had just arrived. After greetings all around, they were coerced into the game. Teams were divided up with Scott, Jubilee, Bobby, and Dana on one side and Logan, Gabe, Caleb, and Jeremy on the other. From their seat on the porch, Marie and Hannah watched the game begin.

“We’re gonna beat you so bad,” Jeremy taunted. “You have two girls on your team! There’s no way you can win!”

“Well that hardly seems fair,” Scott yelled across the yard. “I think we should have another girl to make it more fair. Marie! Get your butt out here, pronto!”

“No way! I didn’t sign up for this season. My butt stays right here on the porch,” Marie laughed. “I’ve got to sit here and keep Hannah company. We don’t want her to feel left out.”

“That’s okay, Marie. You go right ahead. I would hate to see Dana’s team get beat,” Hannah laughed.

“Lot of help you are,” Marie grumbled.

“Just doing my part to keep harmony in the family.”

“Aunt Marie,” Dana pleaded, “Please play. We can beat those boys!”

“Okay, okay. I’m coming.” Marie stood and moved off the porch. “The things I do for my niece.” Even though they were really cousins, the younger generation always considered all of the older cousins their aunts and uncles. It tended to simplify things when they all got together and nobody seemed to mind.

Marie had been debating about when to tell everyone about her new development with her mutation and thought this might be a good time to divulge it. Then again, if she didn't they'd be a lot easier on her during the game. Deciding the hell with it, she stopped in the middle of their makeshift field and gave a shrill whistle to get their attention.

“Before we start, I have something to say.” She glanced over at Jubilee who gave her a thumbs up and a big grin. They had talked the night before about how she was going to tell everyone and Jubilee knew how nervous she was. “I've been working with someone to learn how to control my mutation and it looks like it's working.”

No one said anything for a few seconds and then they all started talking at once.

“What do you mean control it?” Caleb asked.

“I mean I can turn it off. For a little while at a time anyway. It's not perfect yet but hopefully some day soon I'll be able to turn it off and on at will. Like turning a light switch off.”

Scott grabbed her and swung her around. “Marie, that's so great! So you can touch people and not hurt them or yourself?”

“Usually for a couple hours at a time.” Marie couldn't stop the smile that lit up her face.

Everyone started asking questions at once and she explained how it was actually pretty simple once she understood the concept of it. It was just like Jubilee having control over her paffs or Bobby controlling his icing ability.

“I wish there was something they could do for you, Scott. Maybe you could talk to Professor Xavier.”

“Don't worry about me squirt, at least I can still touch people. If all I have to do is wear glasses, it's not such a bad trade off.”

In the wake of such good news, it surprised Logan how Marie immediately thought of Scott and his problems. She looked absolutely radiant as she accepted the questions and congratulations from her family. She deserved to bask in the moment. She had been deprived of a lot over the years although every member of her family had always worked to make sure she knew that regardless of how deadly her touch could be, they were never afraid of her.

“This is very good news, Marie but we still have a football game to play here,” Gabe announced. “So you playing or not?”

“How bad you wantin' to get beat, Gabriel?” Marie grinned.

“Okay. That's more like it.” He jogged easily to the far side of the lawn. “Remember Bobby, no icing the ball, the ground, the other players, or anything else. This game has to be fair to all of us.” Seeing the look on Jubilee's face, he added, “That goes double for you, Jubilee. No fireworks, either.”

“Big brothers are such a pain in the ass,” she grumbled. Raising her voice, she shouted, “How bout if I just aim it at Logan? He'll heal anyway!”

“Watch it firecracker,” he growled back.

Jubilee just grinned and shot a few sparkles at him. “I love you Logan,” she said in a sing-song voice.

Once the ground rules were set and the goals established, the fun began. Jeremy’s team was the first to score and he decided to lead the team in a victory dance in the end zone. When Dana’s team managed to score on the next series of drives, she tried to outdo her brother with the chicken dance. By the time she was done, everybody was laughing so hard they weren’t sure if the would be able to go on. After a few more easily captured points, the men started getting into the spirit of things. When Jeremy and Dana both had to take a potty break, the play continued and turned from a simple game of touch football to all-out tackling.

Jubilee called a time out and announced to everyone that if anybody dared to tackle her she would paff them into next week. That comment brought a general round of groans and comments of unsportsmanlike conduct.

“You were warned, Jubilee,” Gabe reminded her. “No powers!”

She stuck her tongue out at him in answer.

Marie had worked very hard at avoiding Logan throughout the first part of the game. Once she got into the spirit of it, she had let her guard down enough to forget that she was supposed to be purposely avoiding him. With her team down by one touchdown, they formed a huddle.

“Bobby,” Scott said, “I’m going to hand the ball off to you and I want Marie to go long for a pass. We haven’t thrown to you yet, Marie and nobody should be expecting it.”

“I noticed that by the way,” Marie muttered. “You think I can’t catch because I’m a girl?”

“Did I say that?” Scott asked. “No. I just thought you were more effective as a blocker. Nobody ever wants to run over a girl, even if she is their cousin. Now everybody get set and this could be the game winner.”

They lined up and Jubilee hiked the ball to Scott. Scott in turn handed off to Bobby and was able to block a tackle by Caleb. Jubilee was doing her best to run interference with Gabe and Marie took off down the field. Logan’s attention hadn’t been far from Marie throughout the entire game so he was the first to see her run down the field. He didn’t think Marie had seen him and circled around behind her. Bobby threw the ball in a perfect spiral right into Marie’s waiting hands. She turned around to run and almost stopped dead at the sight of Logan coming toward her.

“Run, Marie!” Scott yelled. “Move those feet!”

She took off and had only gone about 10 yards when Logan tackled her from the side. They tumbled to the ground with Marie landing hard on her backside. Much to her amazement the ground wasn’t as hard as she had anticipated. The impact was enough that she almost lost the ball and would have if it hadn’t gotten wedged between her body and Logan’s. Seeing the stunned look on Marie’s face, Logan started to grin.

“Didn’t see that one coming, did you, darlin'?” Logan asked from his position on top of Marie.

“What were you thinking? Did you really have to tackle me like that?” Marie scowled up into his laughing hazel eyes. “You could have just touched me and I would have stopped. And you could at least ask me if I’m all right.”

“Sorry. I guess I just got carried away. You know when the old adrenaline gets pumping what it’s like.” Logan’s grin broadened to a smile.

“Was that adrenaline or testosterone? Most men seem to have a hard time telling the difference.”

In a sudden and unexpected move, Logan grabbed hold of the fabric on the sides of Marie’s sweatshirt and rolled her over on top of him so their positions were reversed. “I didn’t want to crush you,” Logan said by way of explanation.

Marie felt her hips settle within the cradle of Logan's splayed thighs. She was intensely aware of the heat from his hard body. Her lips parted but no sound came out other than a small gasp. She wasn't sure if it was because she was amazed at his audacity or from the feel of his belt buckle pressed hard against her stomach. At least she hoped that was his belt buckle.

Marie hated how breathless she sounded when she gasped out, “So just let me go and it won’t matter.”

She couldn't seem to tear her gaze from his. The golden hazel of his eyes had deepened almost to green. She had the fleeting thought that if she didn't have the stupid football still clutched in her hands she would be able to feel that wonderful muscled chest pressed against hers. The thought made her eyes widen and she thanked God Logan's mutation didn't include telepathy.

Logan's eyebrow hitched up appealingly. “That what you want?”

The question surprised her as her mind scrambled to recall what she had said. “Of course it is.” Before she could stop her stupid mouth she blurted out, “What do you think I want?”

“This.”

Suddenly Logan’s hands were no longer grasping her sweatshirt but instead were framing her face as he pulled her toward him. Marie was so stunned at the feel of his firm warm lips beneath hers that she forgot to resist. Logan's tongue swept across the seam of her lips and she let them part, allowing him access. His mouth devoured hers; taking as much as she would give and not allowing her a chance to say no. Marie vaguely wondered if it were possible to actually melt from the heat of his kiss. She was still clutching the football in a death grip when Logan finally released her and was unaware of the incredulous looks her cousins were giving them.

Marie stared wide-eyed at Logan for a stunned moment trying desperately to collect her thoughts. “That was completely uncalled for,” she said on a shaky breath as she levered herself away from him. She felt her temper starting to build as she gave him another incredulous look. “What ever gave you the idea that I wanted you to kiss me?”

Logan wanted to laugh as Marie scrambled away from him. She didn’t have to look quite so disgusted. “When I saw you lying there clutching that football like a shield, I had to do something to bring down your defenses.”

Marie glanced down at the ball she still held and had visions of planting it smack in the middle of his forehead, possibly in some other choice areas, too. Logan rose fluidly to his feet and reached out to pluck the ball from her grasp. “Now don’t be getting any ideas, darlin’,” he grinned. “I can see where you’d like to put that ball.”

“You don’t know the half of it,” Marie ground out. “Stay away from me, Howlett. I didn’t come here so you could play your little games with me.”

As she stomped away, Scott came over and snatched the ball out of Logan’s hands. “I believe that’s ours, Logan. Marie completed that play beautifully.”

“You could say that,” Logan grinned.

“Looks to me like maybe we should call interference on that one,” Bobby joked. “Or maybe fraternizing with the enemy.”

“Very funny,” Marie said, glaring at her cousin. “Let’s just get this game over with, okay?”

Scott and Bobby were able to finish the game with a touchdown just in time for them to hear the old-fashioned dinner bell being rung. A family tradition on the Summers ranch. As they made their way to the house to get cleaned up, Jubilee managed to hang back and catch Marie alone for a minute.

“What exactly was that all about, Chica?”

“Don’t ask me! You were the one who told me you’d run interference today. I think Logan Howlett needs to learn to keep his lips to himself. How dare he kiss me like that in front of everybody?”

They walked in silence for a moment before Jubilee looked at her and said, “What? You needed more tongue?” Jubilee tried to duck as Marie punched her playfully in the arm. “Sorry,” she laughed, “I couldn’t resist.”

“I’ll just bet you couldn’t.” Marie's scowl deepened as she watched Logan laughing at something Caleb said.

“So what was it like?”

She drug her gaze away from Logan to look wide eyed at her cousin. “Jubilee! How can you even ask me that? It was Logan. You remember Logan Howlett? The biggest womanizer in the entire state of Wyoming?”

“Exactly, babe. So how was it? I mean look at him.” She gestured at Logan's retreating form. “There’s got to be a reason he’s got women panting at his door.”

Marie finally relented. “Good, okay? Very, very good. And don’t you dare tell anybody that I ever said that.”

Jubilee couldn’t help but laugh at the frown on Marie’s face. “Don’t worry. My lips are sealed. Which is more than I can say for you!”

Marie had to fight back a laugh herself as Jubilee took off at a run for the house. What in the world was she going to do about this latest development? It was going to be hard to remember that she hated Logan when she knew how just one of his kisses could affect her. But she was damned if she wasn't going to try.