Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Still don't own 'em but sure wish I did!

A/N: This chapter's for DitzyMariposa who's encouraging words (although she didn't even realize it) gave me the push I needed to start this fic! Thank you!
Michael and Catherine Summers’s ranch had changed little since Marie was a girl. That was one thing you could count on out here. Change came but it was slow in coming and it usually wasn’t anything significant enough to alter the general working order of things. The continuity of it all was something you could appreciate and respect. Knowing that one year would bring many of the same rewards and often many of the same disappointments, but that one was never exactly like another. Knowing that things would always be the same was what now gave Marie such a sense of homecoming. She had spent more time here on the ranch than she ever had at her parent’s house in town.

Ranching had been a Summers way of life for well over a century. Great-great-great-grandpa Summers had settled on this land shortly after the Civil War. He decided that shaping the new face of the nation was better left to others and so headed west to carve a life for himself and his new wife. Since then, plenty of Summers had set off on different paths and carved careers for themselves that were far removed from ranching. Underneath it all, their roots were dug deep in the soil of Wyoming and there were always some of them that chose to remain and make a living the way their grandparents had.

Marie knew her desire for doing business had come from both of her parents and she didn’t regret her decision to go to college and make a career for herself in the world of marketing. There were times, however, when she just needed to be here. Where the wind blew across the open range and the blue sky went on forever. Where you could step out your door onto the porch and just listen to the silence. Where there was no traffic or fast food restaurants or shopping malls and you didn’t have to lock your door every time you went somewhere because you were afraid of getting robbed or having your car stolen. It wasn’t like Denver was the crime capitol of the world but it still wasn’t the same.

When she walked into her grandparent’s house, it felt almost like she had never been away. She could smell the cookies baking in the kitchen and hear her grandparents arguing good-naturedly over something. You couldn’t mistake the affection in their voices. She didn’t think anyone could ever remember a time when they weren’t disagreeing on something. Underlying it all was always their deep respect and love for each other. That was the best part of being here. Knowing that love was unconditional and extended to each and every member of the family. When things got rough you could always count on Michael and Catherine to remind you of what was important in life.

“So what does a girl have to do to get one of those cookies?” Marie asked as she stepped into the kitchen. “I thought I might starve before I got here.”

Catherine stopped what she was doing and rushed over to envelop Marie in a crushing hug. “Marie! We didn’t know you were coming home! You’re parents never said anything when we talked to them earlier.”

“That’s probably because they don’t know. It was kind of a last-minute decision.” Marie hugged her grandma back and was reminded once again how much she had missed being here where everyone accepted her and her mutation without any fear or awkwardness. She caught sight of her grandpa sneaking toward the cookies on the counter and tried to stifle a giggle.

Catherine didn’t even have to turn around to know what was going on behind her. “Michael! You stay away from those cookies! I’m not going to tell you again.”

“Will you never let me decide what’s best for me, woman?” Michael harrumphed. “Marie, don’t you ever get to be like your grandma. The woman would never let me eat anything if she had her way.” He walked over to give Marie a hug similar to Catherine’s.

Michael was a big barrel-chested man with a thick head of white hair and a mustache to match. When they were younger, Marie and the rest of his grandchildren had always been a little in awe of him. He would be surprised to know that was a feeling that hadn’t changed much over the years. Catherine, on the other hand, was a small delicate looking woman with red hair that was liberally threaded with gray. Someone who didn’t know her would have no idea of the great physical and emotional strength she had. Even in the bad years Michael and her had managed to hold everything together and only become stronger for the adversities they had faced. Despite everything they had built together, Michael and Catherine always said the best work they had ever done was raising two fine sons and a wonderful daughter.

“Come in and sit down. Tell us how everything is going at that job of yours.” Catherine ushered her into the kitchen and sat her down at the table. She moved to the fridge and took out the milk. “I still can’t believe that you’re here. We were just talking to your parents and I told them I wished you could be here this year. They made it sound like you had some kind of big presentation coming up that you would have to stay home and work on.” As she was talking she poured a glass of milk and brought a plate of fresh cookies over to the table. “Nancy said that Melanie and the girls won't be able to make it either. I just wish once we could all be together again.”

Melanie was Marie's younger sister. She had married her college sweetheart, Derek Caldwell, before she finished her degree and had her first baby within a year. The degree had been forgotten and the husband had taken his family to live in Washington DC when he was elected to serve as a state Senator.

Marie sighed at the sight of the cookies. They were chocolate chip, her favorite. “Somebody told me you were baking these cookies and I just couldn’t stay away.” She pulled her gloves off and bit into one, savoring the taste of warm chocolate on her tongue. “It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving if I had to spend it alone in Denver. I don’t think I would have been up to eating an entire turkey by myself. I probably would have gotten tired of leftovers by about the fourth or fifth day.”

“The reason doesn’t matter, we’re just glad you’re here,” Michael said with a wink as he snuck a cookie off the plate. “If you hadn’t shown up I never would have gotten any of these cookies. Your grandma is getting stingy in her old age.”

“Michael, I didn’t make all those cookies for you.”

“And since you didn’t know Marie was coming, you obviously didn’t make them for her either. So how come she gets some?”

“Marie just had a long drive from Denver and probably didn’t eat anything except fast food for supper. If I want to give her some of my cookies, that’s my business.”

“Seems more like if that’s all she ate, you should be feeding her fruit or some nice vegetables, not cookies.” Michael mumbled around a mouthful of cookie.

“Now see here, Michael Summers. You get out of my kitchen if all you’re going to do is sass me.” Catherine threatened with a wave of her spatula.

Seeing the gleam in Catherine’s eye, Michael pushed his chair back from the table and stood. “You talk to your grandma, honey and I’ll make sure your room is ready. You want the one you used to share with Jubilee?”

“That would be great, Grandpa.” Marie grinned. “I can’t wait to get out of these clothes and relax for a while.”

As soon as Michael was out the door, Catherine sat down and looked at Marie. “You look a little tired, dear. Are you going to tell me what’s wrong or do I have to drag it out of you?”

Marie looked bemused. “Can’t I come home for Thanksgiving without something being wrong? I know I’m not usually very impulsive but I figured it couldn’t hurt once in a while.”

“I didn’t mean it that way, Marie. I just want to make sure everything is okay with you. When I talked to your mom she said you had that big presentation coming up next week and we all just figured you weren’t going to be able to make it. We know how much your job means to you.”

“It’s not just my job that’s important, you’re all important to me. I guess I was just getting a little homesick.”

“That’s good to hear,” Catherine smiled as she grasped Marie’s covered wrist. “You know we all miss you around here.”

“I know, that’s why I wanted to be here.” Marie realized she had had to stop herself from flinching when her grandmother had grasped her arm so close to her uncovered hand. Her control was getting better but sometimes when she wasn't consciously thinking it slipped. She withdrew her arm and stood up and stretched. “I’m going to go get my things and get unpacked. Do you need me to do anything to help?”

“No, dear. You just get yourself settled. I think your grandpa and I are going to turn in. We’ve got a busy day tomorrow and we aren’t as young as we used to be.”

Marie hugged her Grandma again. “Sleep tight, Grandma. I’m going to change and take a little walk down to the stables to wind down before I go to bed. I’ll see you in the morning.”

*******************************************************************

Marie got her things from the jeep and changed into a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt before she went for her walk. It might be unseasonably warm during the day but once the sun went down, it felt every bit like a November night in Wyoming. It was cold enough that she could see her breath in the crisp air. With the almost full moon shining overhead it was easy to make her way across the yard to the stables. Leaves crunched beneath her boots and she could practically smell the sunshine that had dried them out during the day. Across the yard she could see lights on in the bunkhouse and hear laughter from the men inside. It wasn’t hard to figure out why she had missed this place so much. When she reached the stable she opened the door and stepped into the inviting warmth.

As she stood inside the door, Marie realized what she had been missing the most since she’d been living in Denver. She missed the horses and the freedom of the open range where there were no prying eyes and listening ears. And, she admitted to herself, she'd missed the easy way she could be around the people here. Everyone knew her and about her mutation so it was simple to be around them. She almost never had to worry about accidental touches or keeping every bit of her skin perfectly concealed. She also enjoyed the space that being on the ranch afforded her. When she was out riding she could go for miles and miles with no one for company except the cattle and her horse and maybe the occasional coyote or rabbit. She couldn’t wait until she had the chance to saddle up and go for a ride. She would have loved to go right now but tomorrow morning would have to be soon enough.

Marie walked down the alley admiring the horses. A few of them were curious enough to poke their noses out to see who was there. When she reached the end of the alley, Marie found the stall she had been looking for. Inside was a sleek black gelding. He was a beautiful animal with a short white sock on one rear leg and a small white star on his forehead. Thunder had been a gift to Marie on her 16th birthday. Most kids that age would be hoping for a car but not Marie. She had wanted only one thing...a horse out of the same bloodline as her grandpa’s champion roping and cutting stock. Her wish had come true and she had been gifted with the beautiful yearling colt.

“Hello, baby,” Marie said as Thunder thrust his nose over the stall door. “How is my beautiful boy doing?” Thunder nickered softly as she scratched around his ears. He pushed his head forward and snorted as he sniffed at her pockets. “Looking for something boy? Maybe a sugar cube or two?” Marie laughed as she took the cubes out of her pocket and held them, palm up, out to him. She'd never been able to feed them to him without gloves before. He nipped them carefully from her bare hand and chomped happily on them. She marveled at the feel of his warm breath against her skin. The whiskers on his muzzle tickled her palm. “I always did know the way to your heart was through your stomach.”

“Tomorrow you and I are going for a nice ride. How would that suit you?” Thunder bobbed his head as he was finishing the sugar cubes, almost as if he was in total agreement with her. “I thought you probably wouldn’t mind.” Marie stroked his velvety neck and inhaled the warm scent of horse that surrounded her. One of the reasons she'd spent so much time with the horses had probably been the protection they were afforded from her naked touch by the soft coat of hair that covered them. She nuzzled her cheek against his and whispered, “I sure missed you, Thunder. I almost wish I didn’t have to leave again.” She leaned back and looked him in the eye. “Not that I don’t like my job or living in Denver. It’s just that sometimes I really miss being here. I guess that’s the choice that I made. We can’t always have it both ways.”

“Who says we can’t?”

Marie’s heart about stopped when she heard the voice behind her. She swung around and rushed over to embrace her cousin Jubilee in a huge hug. “Jubilee! What are you doing here? I didn’t think I’d get to see you until tomorrow!”

“I was going to go to the football game tonight but changed my mind at the last minute. Boy am I glad that I did. If anybody else had caught you out here talking to a horse like that, they might have gotten the wrong idea. Like maybe you were nuts or something.”

“Don’t worry. They all know I’m nuts anyway. Haven’t you ever heard them talk about Crazy Marie Summers?”

“No,” Jubilee frowned, “I was too busy listening to their stories about Ravishing Jubilee.”

Marie grinned and snapped her fingers. “That’s right! I wonder what ever happened to her? I always kind of liked Ravishing Jubilee.”

Jubilee rolled her eyes. “Believe me, she doesn’t hardly exist anymore. I heard she’s too busy trying to teach those horrible little teenagers in Laramie.” She wandered over to the stall to pet Thunder. “You know, teaching music isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I got hit by a flying baton from the dance squad during the half time show last week. Nobody told me I should be getting hazard pay for this job.”

“I don’t think they offer hazard pay in your line of work.”

“Did I mention that I also received a love letter from an eighth grader last week? He vowed his undying love and offered to ‘take me away from all of this’.”

Marie laughed and put her arm around Jubilee’s shoulders. “So what? You need a bodyguard or something? Because I think we could find you some hunky guy to take care of you. Then again, you have been dating that football coach.”

“Precisely why I decided to skip the game tonight. Our school was playing his and I kind of broke up with him yesterday.”

“Jubes, what happened?”

“Oh, you know, the usual macho crap.” She plopped down on a bale of straw sitting in the alley and began idly picking at the stems. “I found out that he didn't exactly know much about equal rights for women and still had the idea that if we were all barefoot and pregnant the world would be a better place. So if there's a hunky guy you know of that's not a moron, I may be interested. Pickings are obviously pretty slim around here. I can’t tell you how many guys I’ve gone out with who have no idea what fidelity or commitment mean,” Jubilee said with a roll of her eyes.

“Well at least you’ve been dating. I just realized recently how much I’ve been missing out on by not doing any socializing in the last few years.”

“Chica, it's been so long since you've had a date you probably don't even remember how that works anymore. So what happened to make you see the light?”

“Well, you wouldn’t believe the doctor I met the other day,” Marie said. “I thought I was going to fall off that exam table when he walked in the room!”

“Just do not tell me you were at your Ob/Gyn’s office,” Jubilee said with a horrified look.

Marie couldn't help her laugh. “No, definitely not. That would be way too weird, even for me. But really, you should have seen him. His name is Dr. Warren Worthington. He’s just beautiful. Tall and broad shouldered with wavy blond hair and blue eyes. And he wears the cutest gold-rimmed glasses. You could tell that he definitely works out.” Marie sighed and sat back on a straw bale by the stable door. “He was just so nice.”

“Well, I doubt very much they would hire a doctor who was mean to his patients,” Jubilee laughed. “That wouldn’t get them much return business would it?”

“I doubt it but the female patients would probably come back just to look at him,” Marie grinned.

“So I take it you’ll be going back to see Dr. Worthington frequently? Have you got good health insurance? Because if you don’t, your little trip into voyeurism might get a little expensive.”

“I’m not just going to be a voyeur, I’m thinking about asking him out. He's a mutant, too. He has these incredible wings that just sprout out of his back like an angel.”

“Seriously? Angel wings? Can he fly?”

“He says he can. I haven't seen it of course but how cool would that be?”

“So how would you go about asking him out?” Jubilee mused. “Maybe you could say, ‘Doctor, I’ve been having these palpations but I think they only occur when you’re around. Do you think you could go out with me tonight and we could test my theory?' Or maybe you could tell him your car broke down and you need a lift somewhere.”

“Very funny but no. I hadn’t thought that far ahead. I’ll probably just try and casually find out if he’s seeing anyone first.”

“Oh goody,” Jubilee interrupted sarcastically, “I’ve seen you do casual and it's really not casual at all. It's actually kind of scary and and a little embarrassing to watch. You’ll just end up blurting it out and make yourself look desperate.”

“Well I am desperate. I can’t help that. Maybe he’ll just feel sorry for me and agree to go out no matter what.”

“More than likely he’s got a wife and two kids and just doesn’t bother to wear a ring.”

Marie shrugged her shoulders. “You know I probably won’t get the nerve up to ask him out anyway, so we might as well not even wonder.” Marie’s expression changed and temper snapped in her eyes. “Speaking of nerve, do you know who I ran into earlier?”

“I can’t imagine. You’ve hardly been here an hour so it couldn’t have been anybody from too far away.”

Marie leaned forward and whispered across the alley, “Logan Howlett.”

Jubilee’s eyes got wide. “You’re kidding me. I haven’t seen him in what, two weeks? Who would have guessed it? I mean, it’s not like he and my brother are partners in a ranch or anything.”

“That’s what I’ve missed about you...the continuous supply of sarcasm,” Marie said as she flopped back against the side of the stall. “I know you probably see him all the time but I haven’t seen him since that Christmas almost four years ago.”

Jubilee laughed and stood up with a stretch. “So are he and Scott coming for dinner tomorrow?”

“Unfortunately, yes. After the way he mauled me today, I was hoping that would be the last I would see of him.”

Jubilee stopped in mid-stretch. “What do you mean mauled? You didn’t try to give him another black eye, did you?

“No, of course not. He just surprised me when Scott and I were walking through the stables.” Marie paused. “Actually, I think maybe it was the other way around and I surprised him. I think I was the absolute last person he was expecting to see.”

“So tell me what happened.”

Marie proceeded to do so and when she was done Jubilee was practically in tears from laughing.

“You actually threatened to drop him?” She wiggled her fingers indicating Marie's use of her mutation.

Marie had the grace to look embarrassed. “I wouldn't have actually done it. Besides, he'd probably just heal from the effects of it in a few minutes so it wouldn't even be all that satisfying.”

“I can't believe after all these years you’re still attracted to him, Chica.”

“I'm not!” Marie protested.

Jubilee just gave her the look Marie knew too well. It clearly said that she knew she was lying and wouldn't stop until she had the real answer.

“Well, it’s hardly fair that a man should look that good and be so damn irritating at the same time,” Marie said as she picked stems of straw out of the bale she was sitting on. She tossed the straw away and stood up to join Jubilee as she started walking toward the door.

“There's something else you should know, Jubes. I've been working with someone to learn how to control my mutation.”

Jubilee stopped and spun around to eye her cousin. “And this is the first I'm hearing about this why?”

Marie shrugged and scuffed the toe of her cowboy boot in the dirt. “I don't really know. I haven't told anyone, not even my parents. I guess I didn't want anyone to get their hopes up.”

“Okay, I love you and I'm willing to make an exception for your stupidity this once but you should have told us! And by us, I mean me.”

Marie glanced at her best friend and smiled. “I know but I just wanted to make sure I would be able to do it first.”

“So does that mean you can control it?”

“Not all the time but I think I finally found the switch in my head for it. I can shut it off, so to speak, for a couple hours at a time. It's just so strange to think that pretty soon I might not have to worry about it all the time. I'll finally be able to relax and just be Marie, not a mutant who can't touch anyone.”

“So I can do this?” Jubilee reached out and grasped Marie's bare hand.

“Jubilee! You need to make sure I have it shut off first!”

“Well it is, isn't it?”

“Yes but you didn't know that!”

Jubilee just rolled her eyes. “You worry too much. I know you won't hurt me.”

“Not intentionally, anyway,” Marie groused.

“This is great! You've got to tell everyone. Even if you don't learn to totally control it, a couple hours at a time could do wonderful things for your ego.” Jubilee's broad smile was so infectious that Marie couldn't help but smile herself. “And by ego, I mean your sex life. Because really, most guys don't need that long, regardless of what you've read in those romance novels you like.”

“Jubilee Summers! What kind of girl do you take me for?”

“The same kind as me, babe. Now let's talk about how you're going to be really nice to me.” Jubilee linked arms with Marie. “Then I’ll try very hard to keep you and Logan apart tomorrow. If that big bully tries to pick on you I’ll take care of him for you.” She let some of her sparkles dance above her open palm. “And if he doesn't listen, I'll just paff him for you.”

“Thanks, Jubilee. I always knew I could count on you.”

They both laughed as they stepped out into the cold and headed back toward the inviting warmth of their grandparent’s kitchen.