Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Unfortunately, they're still not mine. You know who they belong to.

A/N: This chapter was finished much quicker than the last one and almost seemed to write itself so I hope you enjoy it! Thanks so much for all the reviews. I've become a total review junkie...it absolutely makes my day when I know someone enjoys what I write!!
Logan had almost talked himself out of going to the latest Summers family gathering until Scott told him that Michael was interested in breeding a couple of his mares to their newest stud horse. The stallion in question was a particular favorite of Logan's. He had been in Texas to bring back two yearling fillies they'd purchased from a ranch there when he discovered him. The large buckskin hadn't been for sale at the time and Logan had worked incredibly hard to convince the owners to sell. The most difficult part of the deal had been getting Scott to agree to the added expense for the year. Logan had ended up going back on the fight circuit for a couple months during the winter in Canada. It had been the only way to get enough money without pushing the ranch farther into the red. The initial expenditure of buying the ranch was what had sunk them into a hole but they were steadily climbing out of it. Their herd size was increasing and their reputation for quality ranch and cutting horses was growing. Advertising was difficult to do in a business where word of mouth was still the most trusted form.

“I'll have Scott draw up the papers,” Logan told Michael after they came to an agreement on the stud fee and how many mares they were going to breed . He reached across the desk and shook Michael's hand. Michael's grip was still strong and firm for a man of his age and Logan briefly wondered what it would be like to have his own body betray him with his age.

“No need, Logan. I still believe in doing business the old fashioned way,” he inclined his head toward their clasped hands. “And if I can't trust you and Scott, who can I trust?”

“That's good enough for me,” Logan agreed.

He'd been surprised to find it difficult to focus his whole attention on his negotiations with Michael. It wasn't that he didn't respect Michael; nothing could be further from the truth. The truth was that he had been able to hear Marie's voice carried to him from down the hall and it had distracted him more than he'd thought possible. Her laughter went straight to his gut and made him think thoughts that he was sure would shock everyone in the Summers' house. Thoughts about how he'd like to hear her gasp his name the way she had the other night when he'd had her crushed between him and the jeep. Her mouth had practically begged for his, her full lower lip trembling with the needs her body hadn't even known it had. The memory of her flushed and writhing in his arms was enough to force a low rumble from his throat

He had to get out of there before he did something stupid like corner Marie in the family room and... He was distracted from his thoughts by the slamming of the front door followed soon after by Jubilee's horrified shrieking of Marie's name.

Logan was down the hall in two strides and burst through the front door. Jubilee was leaning over the porch rail calling to Marie who wasn't answering her. His keen senses were assaulted first by the panic that Jubilee was projecting and second by the scent of blood. Marie's blood. Logan vaulted over the porch railing in one fluid move and landed lightly on the ground next to Marie. The scent of her blood was stronger here and a low growl emanated from his throat.

Marie was lying face down and unmoving on the ground. There was a thick line of blood welling from a cut above her temple near her hairline. The bright red was mixing with her platinum streaks and turning them a strange pink color. Logan ran his hands quickly over her arms and legs checking for broken or disjointed bones. Not finding anything immediate, he carefully turned her over.

“Marie, darlin', can you hear me?” Logan had to resist the urge to unsheathe his claws at the sight of the cut and the purplish bruise that was already forming against Marie's creamy skin. When he found out what happened, somebody was going to pay for hurting her.

Marie groaned softly and immediately reached up and brushed her fingers against her forehead. Her fingers came away sticky with her own blood. “Easy, darlin',” Logan soothed her. “You've got a pretty nasty cut there.”

“What happened?”

“You had a little run in with some ice, Chica, I'm so sorry,” Jubilee said from above her. “I didn't expect you to stop like that and then I had no way of stopping you.”

“It's not your fault,” Marie assured her.

“No, more like it's the Popsicle's fault for showing off.” Logan wrapped an arm around Marie's shoulders and eased her into a sitting position.

Marie winced at the pain in her head and began checking herself over to make sure there were no other nasty surprises. Logan saw what she was doing and stopped her.

“No need, darlin', I already checked and nothing's broken far as I can tell. You'd better get some ice on your left knee, it's starting to swell. And that cut on your head is gonna hurt like a bitch for a while but I don't think it'll need stiches.”

Marie felt a flush creep into her cheeks at the thought of Logan's hands running over her body. Even if he was only checking for injuries, it was enough to throw her off. Before she could think of anything to say, Logan scooped her up in his arms and stood in one fluid motion. She instinctively wrapped her arm around his neck to balance herself. She sincerely hoped that Logan would attribute her small gasp and speeding heartbeat to the shock of being injured and not to the fact that she was once again cradled so securely in his arms.

“You wanna get that thing out of our way, Firecracker?” Logan nodded toward the ice ramp and Jubilee threw enough sparks at it to crumble the portion covering the steps. Logan was up the steps and down the short hallway to the kitchen before Marie could even protest.

“Marie, what happened?” Nancy was surprised to see her daughter nestled in Logan's arms after the protests she'd made about him yesterday when she'd talked to her dad. John, of course, had related everything he'd learned to Nancy. John wasn't too keen on the idea of their daughter being with a man so much older than her even if he didn't look it or act it. Nancy, on the other hand, was willing to reserve judgment until she had more facts.

“Just me being a klutz again, Mom,” Marie reassured her as Logan sat her gently on a chair.

Jubilee rushed in and provided all the details while Nancy retrieved the first aid kit that was stored in the cupboard. Catherine fussed over Marie while they cleaned the cut on her head and closed it with some butterfly bandages. Her knee was indeed beginning to swell and they slid a pillow under it that her Aunt Melissa brought from the living room and applied an ice pack to ease the throbbing. Marie was grateful when someone handed her two aspirin and even more, relieved when Logan stopped hovering, which only happened after he heard her side of the story.

Logan felt the urge to skewer someone lessen after hearing the whole thing was an accident but tensed up again when Bobby chose that moment to make an appearance. “I'm sorry, Marie. I didn't mean for anybody to get hurt.”

“Isn't that where the phrase, 'It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt' comes from?” Jubilee snapped at him.

“Hey, don't blame me. You were in on it, too,” Bobby retorted.

Their voices rose as they argued about who was at fault, neither of them wanting to take any blame. They were facing off in the middle of the room, Jubilee punctuating each word with a sharp poke in Bobby's chest.

A growl emanated from Logan's chest before he asked softly, “You two wanna take it outside? Marie doesn't need you making her headache worse.”

Marie's gaze snapped to Logan in surprise. Since when did she need anybody to defend her against her own cousins? Bobby stared open-mouthed at Logan, finding it hard to believe that he would speak up on Marie's behalf but Jubilee only smirked at him knowingly. Her black brows winged up when his only response was another low growl.

“Let's go, Bobby,” Jubilee threw a meaningful look over her shoulder at Marie, “before we become a not-so-tasty Logan-kabob. And we'd better clean up your mess before Grandma sees it.”

Bobby gave a token protest, not wanting to upset the man whom he had a feeling could live up to the nickname Wolverine. “I really am sorry, Marie,” he insisted before Jubilee grabbed his hand and towed him out the door. Everyone, save for Nancy, Logan, and Marie, followed them out, wanting to see the havoc Bobby had created.

Nancy watched the entire proceedings with thinly veiled curiosity. Maybe the rumors swirling around about her daughter and the feral mutant were true. She saw the way Marie kept glancing at Logan and wondered if the phrase, 'the lady doth protest too much', might apply to Marie after all. An idea began forming in her mind and she decided to test the waters.

“Marie, honey, how will you make it home tonight? It's already getting late and I really don't think you're in any shape to drive all the way to Denver.”

Nancy had taken a seat next to her daughter and lifted the ice pack to check the swelling in her knee. The bruising on her face was spreading and she was fairly certain Marie would have a black eye by morning.

“I'll make it, Mom, I have to. I've got some work to finish up tomorrow on my presentation and I've got to at least cover the high points with the rest of my team before we pitch the idea on Tuesday.”

“I just hate the idea of you driving by yourself. I'd take you myself but I've already given Cecilia the day off and I have a delivery coming in early tomorrow morning. And with the end of the year approaching, your dad is just swamped at work.” Nancy pursed her lips and looked thoughtful.

“Maybe Jubes could take me. She could always call in sick for tomorrow.”

“I doubt it, isn't she getting ready for their Christmas concert? I believe they only have a couple practices left before then.”

“What about Scott? He could take me and you could send one of the hands to pick him up, Logan.” Marie gave him a hopeful look, much as it pained her to ask him for any kind of assistance.

“We could probably work something out,” Logan said by way of agreement.

Nancy wasn't about to let this opportunity slide by. “If Scott can't do it, maybe you could, Logan.” She gave him a soft smile, hoping he wouldn't see her suggestion for what it was, subterfuge, plain and simple. She didn't believe for a minute that Marie was interested in the doctor she'd met in Denver. Woman's intuition was a wonderful thing and hers was telling her that it was Logan that was on her daughter's mind.

Underlying the question, Logan could sense some dishonesty on Nancy's part. But why would Marie's mother be lying to him? Was she making excuses to try and get them to spend time together? Logan's eyebrow went up in that way that meant he was either surprised or he thought someone was trying to pull a fast one on him. The thought of Marie's own mother pushing them together wasn't what he would have anticipated.

“I'd be free if no one else can do it,” he admitted.

“That's great!” Nancy said a little too enthusiastically. “Isn't that great, honey? Now I know you'll be taken care of.”

Marie couldn't understand why her mom had suggested such a crazy idea. She knew how Marie felt about Logan and they weren't generally warm and fuzzy feelings! How did she expect her to spend three hours in a car with him? “But...but Mom,” Marie protested, “I'm sure Logan's way to busy for that. Maybe Grandpa or Caleb or Uncle Tom could take me.” She shot a hopeful look at the door, willing someone, anyone, to come through it who could help her. Why couldn't she have been a telepath?

“Nonsense, Marie. Logan's just said he could do it. Don't be ungrateful,” Nancy admonished with a smile.

Logan could feel the frustration coming off Marie in waves. She obviously wasn't looking forward to the drive. Then Nancy said something that added panic to Marie's frustration.

“Logan, I'm sure Marie wouldn't mind if you spent the night at her place. There's really no sense in you paying for a hotel room when she has a perfectly comfortable couch in her living room.”

Marie gaped open mouthed at her mom, unable to even form a coherent sentence in her head. “My couch?” she finally managed to squeak out. “It's not a couch, it's a futon. And really not that comfortable, Logan. I'm sure you'd be much happier with a hotel room. But it really won't be that late, you could still drive back tonight.”

“Don't be silly, Marie. It would be much too late for Logan to come back tonight. It's already getting dark out and Logan wouldn't get home until nearly 1:00 in the morning! Considering he's willing to help us out, you should be more hospitable.”

Marie closed her eyes and rubbed her fingers against her unbruised temple. When had her mom become so pushy? “Fine,” Marie sighed. “But I still need to pack.”

“I can do that, Marie,” Nancy insisted. “You don't need to be walking up those stairs just yet. Unless, of course, you want Logan to carry you up?”

“No!” Marie insisted and felt her cheeks heat at the mere thought of being in Logan's arms again. “You go ahead, Mom. I'll just wait right here.”

Logan didn't really know Nancy very well but he did know when he was being manipulated. In this case, he found that he didn't really mind. He'd been trying to work out in his head how to get Marie alone all afternoon and this was one option that would have never presented itself if she hadn't been hurt. Not that he wanted her to get hurt, it just seemed that maybe fate and Nancy were working hand in hand.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

By the time Marie's things were packed and loaded in her Jeep and she'd said her goodbye's to everyone, it was fully dark out. The wind had picked up from the north and the cold was beginning to settle in. The local television station was predicting the possibility of snow by morning and everyone was lamenting the end of the warm weather. Snow storms in the Rockies could be unpredictable at best. A twenty percent chance of snow could turn into a blizzard in less than 24 hours.

Marie was feeling tired and was glad someone else would be doing the driving, even if that someone was Logan. She figured she could avoid talking to him by sleeping most of the way. She hugged her mom and dad one last time, promised to come home for Christmas, and hobbled to the Jeep. Her knee was killing her and she wondered vaguely if she should make an appointment to see Dr. Worthington the next day. That thought brightened her mood momentarily. She buckled her seatbelt and waved out the window as they left.

They drove south for a few miles and Marie was surprised when they passed the long driveway that led to the main house on the H-Circle-S. “You're not stopping to get your things?”

Logan shot her a sidelong glance. “What things?”

“Your overnight bag,” Marie clarified.

Logan couldn't imagine why she thought he'd need a bag. It wasn't like he had a bunch of frou frou girly stuff to bring with him. The shirt and jeans he had on would see him through a day or two. “Don't need one. I'll be leaving in the morning.”

Marie guessed that was true and didn't argue the point any further. After another few miles, the silence in the vehicle was already getting on Marie's nerves. She flipped on the radio to a local country station, intending to close her eyes and rest.

Logan drove in silence and watched the thermometer as the temperature outside continued to drop. He listened as the radio announced the inclusion of most of the region in a winter storm advisory. The storm that was originally tracking north of them had changed directions and they were now predicting up to a foot of snow by Monday evening. He glanced over at Marie, who had her eyes shut, although he could tell by the pattern of her breathing that she wasn't asleep. After the fifth time she shifted uncomfortably in her seat, he broke the silence.

“You wanna tell me how you got the stripes?” He reached out and brushed a finger over the silky platinum strands.

“I'm sleeping,” Marie mumbled, doing her best to ignore the casual touch.

Logan almost smiled at the petulant note in her voice. “No, you're not.”

Marie's eyes opened and she stared at him balefully from under the dark fringe of her lashes. “Since when did you become mister chatty?”

“I'm not. It's just a long drive and we might as well be civil to each other.”

Marie sighed and pushed herself up in her seat, trying not to jostle her knee more than necessary. “You really want to know?”

“I asked, didn't I?”

“You want the long version or the short version?”

“Surprise me.”

“Fine. Long it is. During the second semester of my senior year in college, I found out the hard way that when my mutation works on another mutant, it doesn't just take their thoughts and memories, it also allows me to borrow their mutation for a time.” Marie unconsciously twisted a lock of the platinum hair in question around her finger. “The friends I had in school all knew to be careful around me and I stayed covered from head to toe most of the time. You probably remember how I used to dress.” Logan nodded his agreement. “Well, one of the requirements for graduating was taking two phys ed classes. I had only completed half of the requirement and ended up being forced into a swimming class of all things since everything else was full.”

Marie glanced at Logan to make sure she still had his attention and then continued. “Besides the fact that I'm not a good swimmer, I didn't think that me exposing that much skin to my classmates was probably a good idea. My instructor thought I was trying to get out of taking the class and said if I didn't participate, I'd get a failing grade. I couldn't imagine having that on my transcripts so I went along with it.” She shook her head slightly and smiled ruefully when she recalled what had happened. “When the class started, I wore one of those neoprene body suits like divers wear but after a while I got more relaxed about it and decided I was being too paranoid. Needless to say, when I slipped off the diving board and landed in the water on top of one of my classmates wearing a regular bathing suit, things didn't go so well. Luckily I was wearing my gloves and was able to drag her out of the water but not before we'd made some definite skin to skin contact. I hadn't even realized she was a mutant until then.”

“So what was her mutation?”

“Of course, it couldn't be something simple like Jubilee's sparkles. She was a telepath and a telekinetic. Let me tell you, when you can hear the thoughts of everyone around you, it's not very pleasant. I didn't know how to erect mental shields to block it so I ended up staying home for a couple weeks until it faded. The stress of the telepathy is what caused these lovely white streaks to appear in my hair. Thank God for Jubilee. They contacted her right away and she's the one who rushed me home.”

“How bout the telekinesis? That bother you?”

“Not really. I didn't actually have much time to master it but it was really freaky when I woke up and I was actually levitating above my bed.” Marie giggled. “I scared Jubilee half to death.”

“Did you ever try to dye it?”

“My hair? No, I kinda like it,” she smiled.

“Me, too,” Logan admitted.

They settled into a comfortable silence and Marie actually nodded off for a while. She woke when she heard Logan say her name.

“You wanna tell me where you live?”

Marie rubbed sleepily at her eyes and winced when she pressed too hard on the one that was turning black, blue, and a rather pretty shade of purple. She gave him the directions and before long, they were pulling up to her building. Her apartment was actually a loft in the warehouse district downtown. The three story brick warehouse had been converted shortly before she moved to town and she'd gotten it at a great price. The only stipulation had been a rather nasty five year lease but it had worked to her advantage and she was locked in for another two years on her fantastically cheap rent. Since she'd moved in, the warehouse district had become the place to be and newer lofts were renting for twice what she paid. It was a good thing she'd been so optimistic about her move to Denver.

Logan pulled the Jeep into the parking area reserved for her building. Clouds hung like a dark heavy blanket in the sky, the streetlights only highlighting the threat of snow that waited there. Marie was trying to figure out a way to ease herself out of the Jeep without banging her knee again when Logan appeared at her door. He watched her patiently for a moment before he spoke.

“You gonna let me help you?”

Marie glanced at him and frowned. “I can do it. Just give me a minute.”

Logan sighed. Women could be such infuriating creatures. Especially this one. She had a stubborn streak a mile wide and twice as long. He watched her begin to ease her way out of the vehicle and when she winced as she tried to put weight on her knee, he didn't ask again, he simply scooped her up in his arms and turned toward the building. The ever present scent of vanilla and another scent that was uniquely hers clung to Marie's warm skin and invaded Logan's senses. He had a fleeting thought that he could get used to the feel of her supple curves in his arms and the scent of her in his nose. He banished that thought to the back of his mind. He wasn't the type to get all sentimental about a woman and Marie was no different. Sure he wanted to get her naked under him but he wasn't a one woman kinda guy. She'd just be another on a long list of many who had passed through his life and his bed. Marie's outraged shriek halted his train of thought.

“Logan! Put me down!”

The first fluffy white flakes began floating down around them, settling on Marie's hair and sparkling like diamonds in the subdued light. Logan heaved a sigh. “Do you have to argue about everything, darlin'?”

And there it was. The use of that stupid endearment had her heart beating faster and the rest of her melting at the sound of it. She silently berated herself for being the least bit affected by his phony charm. He probably called every woman he met that. Marie folded her arms across her chest, refusing to loop her arm around his broad shoulders for balance no matter what. Let him worry about dropping her if he was so dead set on carrying her everywhere.

Logan noted the petulant scowl on her face and decided she wasn't going to make this easy. He knew she was stubborn enough to get inside on her own but he didn't want to give her the pleasure of him giving in. Instead, he said, “Let me guess, third floor.”

“Very good, Logan,” she sniped at him. “Would like to guess which unit is mine, too? I'm sure you can just scent it out.”

Logan's jaw tightened at her tone and he stopped in his tracks. “Maybe you'd like it better if I dropped your ass on the ground and walked back to Wyoming?”

Marie immediately felt guilty. Despite the fact that Nancy had pushed Logan into driving her back to Denver, he had been nothing but nice to her. She was the one who had gotten to sleep through the better part of the drive and now she was snapping at him because he was nice enough to help her get inside.

“I'm sorry,” she huffed under her breath.

“What was that?” he asked, turning his ear toward her. “I didn't quite catch that.”

“I know damn good and well you heard me, Logan.” Marie squirmed in his arms. “Just put me down. I can walk by myself.”

If she knew the affect all of her wriggling around was having on him, she would have stopped immediately. As it was, Logan had to adjust his grip or risk dropping her. The warm curve of her breast against his chest and the feel of her firm bottom brushing his abdomen was only spiking his already heightened senses. A growl vibrated through his chest and Marie froze. Her startled brown eyes met his hungry hazel gaze and Marie could only watch with trepidation as his mouth descended on hers.

The feeling of that wonderful hot mouth against her chilled lips was exquisite and any doubt she had about him kissing her was gone in an instant. The animosity she felt toward him was banished from her mind in that one glorious moment of contact. Her lips parted under his and she met him, kiss for kiss. Her arms loosened and she cradled his stubble roughened cheek in her bar palm. It tickled and if her mouth hadn't been so busy, she'd have probably laughed at the pure joy of such a touch. She wondered if the last time they had kissed had felt this wonderful. She swore she was never going to drink that much again if it meant she would miss out on all these sensations.

Logan's mouth left hers and feathered over her cheekbone and across her brow, careful not to hurt her. Marie had almost forgotten the ugly bruising and the cut near her temple until then. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked at Logan warily. Logan knew that look and stopped her before she said anything. “You're beautiful and you know it. So don't say it. That doesn't make any difference.”

“Not my best look though, I'm sure.” Marie was proud of herself for being able to form a coherent sentence. She looked up into the streetlight where the snowflakes were falling faster. They were beginning to stick to the pavement and the Jeep behind them. “I think we'd better get inside.”

Logan glanced up at the thickening flurry of flakes and grunted his agreement. “Just show me the way, darlin'.”