Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter has extreme highs and lows. I caution you. It's like a roller coaster. A big, dramatic roller coaster. I apologize in advance if it upsets anyone.
The day was a restless one for Rogue. She had waked up early that morning, still in happy shock from the events of the day before. She had thought going into the afternoon that it would have been one of the rougher days of her life, but it turned out to be one of the most exciting. And all because of Logan’s kiss. The memory of it stirred up butterflies in her stomach.

It was now 3 in the afternoon, and the butterflies were still going strong. All day Rogue had drifted around the mansion, waiting for Logan to come find her, hold her, and tell her he wanted them to be together. She knew he had some serious emotional hang-ups, and she could acknowledge the fact that she now came with some heavy baggage herself, but she hoped he would be willing to work through all that.

At 2 o’clock, after a walk around the grounds, she had come back to her room and flopped on her bed. She pulled out a book, resigned to pass the time the best way she knew how. She had gotten a quarter of a way through the book when Logan had finally come to her door.

“Hi,” she said shyly, the butterflies flaring uncontrollably.

“Hey darlin’,” he said as he bent down to kiss her gently. She savored the kiss, but it was over much too quickly for her liking. Logan pulled away from her and went to sit down on her bed. He patted the area next to him, and she joined him there.

Once she sat, he jumped right in. “Okay, here’s the deal, Marie. I did some serious soul searchin’ last night after you left. I gotta come clean, I was a little confused about what was all happening. With me, between you and me, everything. But, when I was honest with myself, I was able to see that you mean an awful lot to me. And have, for a long time.”

He seemed to be rambling. If Rogue didn’t know better, she would have assumed he was nervous. But, Logan, the Wolverine, never got nervous. Did he?

He continued, “You know I never liked that Ice-prick. At first I thought it was because he was a boy going after a girl I had come to think of as needing protecting. Kind of like a guardian thing, you know?”

Rogue shook her head but remained silent. She didn’t like the sound of that.

“But, that night, when I saw you and John going at it on the balcony, it hit me like a load of bricks. I wasn’t concerned, I was jealous. I didn’t want any boy putting his goddamn hands on you, much less any other body part. Do you see? With Bobby, I thought I just didn’t like him because he was a goody-goody sack of shit. But, with Pyro, I saw someone who has a lot more in common with me. I never had a reason to hate him. But as soon as he kissed you, I did.”

A soft smile crept its way across Rogue’s face. This, she liked to hear. Her hand found his, and held it.

“But, what could I do?” Logan said. “I’m not your father. I couldn’t come barging after you, pull you away from him, and announce that you’re mine. Plus, I figured it wasn’t really gonna go anywhere. The kid was your boyfriend’s best friend. How long could it last? So, I waited. For what, I don’t know. But, last week, when you came pounding on my door, when you found out…I worried that I was too late. I thought if you had John’s baby, there would be no place for me.”

Rogue started to tell him that there would always be a place in her life for him, but he interrupted her. “Marie, wait, I’m almost done. I just gotta get this all out. Where was I? Oh yeah. So, that brings us to yesterday. Marie, I’ve always thought you were beautiful, but when I wound up on top of you, I wasn’t at all prepared for the view. I’ve dreamed of you from that angle, if you can believe it. And you were even more gorgeous in real life. I couldn’t help myself.

“So now I found myself at a cross roads of sorts. Do I ignore all that I’m feeling and go back to just watching over you?” he chuckled bitterly and gestured to her mid-section. “Which, clearly, I wasn’t doing a great job to begin with. Or, do I say fuck the consequences, and go for it?” He then looked her squarely in the eyes. “Marie, I wanna go for it. I don’t care what anyone else says around here or if anyone gives us shit about being together. So, now it’s your turn. You wanna be my girl? Or,” and he smiled at her, “you wanna break this old man’s heart?”

Rogue’s stomach was doing flips. She barely waited a second before blurting out, “Of course I want to be with you, Logan. You’re the one person on this earth that really gets me, the one person I can trust.”

“Oh, thank God,” Logan laughed and rolled his eyes at his own melo-dramatic-ness. He grabbed her roughly and planted a kiss, hard, on her mouth. They rolled back on her bed, lip locked. Logan’s hands travelled down her neck, down her chest, barely brushing her breasts, and planted themselves on her hips. She entwined her hands in his hair, pulling gently to make his head go back, allowing her access to his neck. She kissed down its side, enjoying the roughness of his stubble against her cheek. She sighed when he hands made a return trip up her body, lingering longer on her breasts, cupping them firmly. She could once again feel him against her, and noted that, even through his jeans, she could tell he was bigger than Johnny.

They rolled over, and Rogue came to lie on his chest and she looked down at him, a reversal from the other night. Logan brushed a hand over her cheek. “Marie,” he said, “I know it’s all kind of happening fast but…I love you.”

Rogue’s heart fluttered and her stomach flopped. She promptly ran to her bathroom and threw up. “Was it something I said?” Logan muttered.

He followed her in and held her hair back as she violently emptied the contents of her stomach. She figured their kissing was done for awhile, but this was the least of her problems. She felt awful, and there was a cramping in her lower abdomen. She crouched in a ball next to the commode and tried to breathe the pain away. Logan looked worried. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” Rogue said weakly. “My stomach’s been feeling funny all day, but I just thought I was nervous about this,” she gestured toward him. She groaned as another cramp wracked through her. “I think I might have to go to the bathroom. Could you please leave and close the door?” she asked him.

“Sure, I’ll just be in your bedroom.” He told her, closing the bathroom door behind her.

Trembling, Rogue stood up and unbuttoned her jeans. She slid down her underwear as she sat on the toilet, and gasped. There, in the crotch of her panties, was blood. Way too much to be just casual spotting. Breathing erratically, she tore off her jeans and underwear and wrapped a towel around her lower half.

“Logan!” she called as she opened the door into her room. He looked up at her from her bed, and, noting the look of terror on her face, jumped up and ran over.

“What’s the matter, kid? What’s wrong?”

“Logan, I think something bad happened. I need to go to the hospital. NOW.”

He scooped her up in his arms and ran her out her door, through the mansion and down to the garage. He strapped her into the backseat of one of the cars and proceeded to drive her, at breakneck speed to the hospital.

***************

Hours later, Rogue lay on her side in a hospital bed, eyes red and watery. She clutched a pillow against her body and allowed the waves of sorrow to wash through her, although frankly, she was surprised she had any tears left to cry after the last week. She didn’t even look up when Logan entered her room.

He sat down on the edge of her bed, and put a hand gently on her shoulder. Beginning to rub it gently, he spoke softly. “I’m so sorry, Marie.”

She just nodded, unable to speak yet.

“They said it could have been a bunch of things. They mentioned it can happen with extreme stress. Which, I guess,” he said, looking sadly down at her, “you’ve been under a lot of recently.”

She snorted.

Logan seemed unsure of what to do. Looking around him, he said, “If you want, I’ll leave you alone.” He got up and started to leave.

“Don’t.” She said it quietly, but he heard. He came back to her bed. Sitting up slowly, she gazed at him through tear soaked eyes. “I don’t know what I’m supposed to feel. But, I know I feel like shit,” she told him. He nodded. “One part of me is waiting for my heart to break because I just lost something that was a part of me. And, as much as I care about you, I still feel like the last part of Johnny that I had was just stolen from me.” She took a big breath, and went on. “But, that’s just it. I’m waiting for my heart to break. It hasn’t. And that’s what confuses me. I can’t help thinking that maybe this was, in a horrible way, all for the best. I know it sounds selfish,” her voice wavered and a big tear slid down her cheek.

“Shhh, it’s ok. No one can tell you how you’re supposed to feel, darlin’,” Logan said as he drew her to him and began to rock her.

She nuzzled into him. “Thank you. I just want to go home. I want all of this to be over.”

“Ok.”

Rogue slept the whole way back to the mansion. After parking the car, Logan walked around and carried her back in, just the way they had come out. He took her up to his room, and dressed her sleepy form in a pair of his own boxers and a t-shirt. She snuggled down between the sheets of his bed and he got in next to her. His last thought, before he also drifted off to sleep was how, despite all she had been put through, she still managed to look like an angel to him.
Chapter End Notes:
Once again, I'm sorry if that last part upset anyone. I proooomise things will get happy again soon. Onwards and upwards, champs.