Author's Chapter Notes:
Lotsa more plot points in this chapter. There's also a big jump in time...well sort of...but it's really just me not being bothered to sum up what happens during X2, because A) I am lazy and B) I'm sure you're all smarties who have seen the movie and can follow along.
Once they got back to the mansion, Rogue had fully intended on thanking Logan for the ride and all of the support before leaving him and taking the tests in private. But, she never got a chance to: as soon as she got out of the car, he had grabbed her hand and, firmly holding it, led her up to his room.

“Listen, Logan,” she said shakily when he had closed the door behind them, “you really don’t have to do this.”

“Do what?”

“Get this involved. I mean, I appreciate the ride and stuff, but you don’t have to hold my hand through all of this.”

Logan looked at her. He had a very serious expression that Rogue had never seen before. “Marie, have you ever done this before?” he asked. As she shook her head, he continued. “I thought not.”

Rogue couldn’t help it. She raised an eyebrow at him and sassed back, “Oh, and like you have.”

Still calm, he informed her, “I might not have been the one pissing on that strip, but yeah, I’ve been here before.” He laughed bitterly at her expression of shock. “What, are you surprised? Think about it. I’ve been around for awhile now, and after so long, you’re bound to get yourself into this kind of situation.”

“Was she pregnant?” Rogue asked him quietly.

“Luckily for the both of us, no.” Logan said looking down. He then straightened up and gazed steadily upon Rogue. “But, that doesn’t mean we weren’t scared shitless for a few minutes. So trust me, you want someone to be with you when you’re doing this.”

“Okay,” agreed Rogue. She emptied out the contents of the drug store bag on Logan’s bed. After lining up the tests in a neat little row, she turned to the jug of water. “Is this yours?” she asked, handing it toward Logan.

“I got that for you, darlin’. You’ve got a lot to piss on. Normally I’d offer you some beer, knowing how it speeds through your system, but given the circumstances,” he shrugged.

Rogue nodded. “I think I’m good,” she said, as she scooped up the tests and walked into his bathroom.

Five minutes later, the two of them looked over the five tests, reading and rereading to make sure they had decoded them all properly. Pluses, minuses, stripes, and a happy faces all looked up at them. All meant one thing. Rogue was, indeed, pregnant.

“Fuck my life.” Was all she could say, sinking down on Logan’s bed.

He looked down at her, his heart breaking for his girl. He sat next to her, pulled her close, and began to absent mindedly run his fingers through her hair. “So, what’re your plans, kid?”

Marie briefly thought it was weird that, now that she was going to be a mother, he was still calling her ‘kid’. She looked up at him, tears brimming her eyes. “I’m gonna have it, Logan. I have to.”

Logan nodded. He could have figured she was that kind of girl. “You’re gonna tell Pyro?” he asked.

“Yes, of course. And I guess I’ll have to come clean to Bobby, too. I don’t think ‘immaculate conception’ is going to cut it with him.”

Logan chuckled. “Yeah, someone’s already used that one.”

Rogue laughed a little. It felt good. She wiped her eyes. “Thanks, Logan, for being here. I’m glad you made me stay.”

“Of course, kid,” he smiled down at her as he squeezed her tight. He took a deep breath. “Listen, would you mind if I snuck downstairs quick to grab a quick beer? I know you’re going to be off the booze for awhile, but I gotta tell you, I really need a drink right now.”

“Sure, go ahead.”

He got up and walked to his door. He looked back and, grinning, asked her, “Can I get you anything? Pickles? Potato chips? Watermelon?”

“Haha. I’m not craving anything yet. But, when I start, you’ll be the first to know,” Rogue gave him a little smile.

He left, and Rogue laid back on his bed. She couldn’t believe she was pregnant. And with John Allerdyce’s baby, no less. If she could travel back in time even 4 months ago and tell herself what would happen, her past self never would have believed her. She wondered what Johnny would say. Or, perhaps more importantly, how she would tell him.

She was puzzling this all over in her head when she heard a commotion from the other end of the mansion. Sitting up, she cocked her ears, listening. The sounds were growing. She could hear people running around, glass breaking, and then a shrill claxon-like sound. She jumped off Logan’s bed and ran out into the hallway.

***************A While Later********************

Rogue stood in the jet with Bobby and Johnny. She could hardly believe the events of the last few hours. As if finding out she was pregnant wasn’t crazy enough, after the break-in at the mansion, the Pyro induced firestorm at Bobby’s house, and her near death plunge out of the jet, she was surprised she hadn’t fainted from mental fatigue.

She glanced up between the two boys. She knew that this obviously wasn’t the right time to break the news, and for that she was a little grateful. She had come close to telling Johnny last night when they had all been forced to camp out, but Bobby had interrupted them, and then hadn’t left her side for the evening. She was understandably nervous about having the discussion, but now more so than ever. The last few hours had shown her a side of Johnny that she had never seen before.

Sure, he had always been sort of a ‘bad boy’, but his little episode at Bobby’s had been downright malicious. He might have been defending them, but he had taken things way too far. And then, perhaps most unsettling of all, he had gotten along a little too well with Magneto and Mystique. It hurt Rogue a little that he could so casually befriend them after what they had put her through. She self-consciously tugged at her white streak.

After a few hours of waiting in silence, Johnny jumped up. “That’s it,” he said, seemingly to himself. He hit a button and the entrance ramp of the jet began to lower.

“Where do you think you’re going?” asked Bobby.

“In there. I’m sick of this ‘kids table’ shit. I want to fight.”

Rogue looked at him, panicked. He couldn’t possibly think this was a good idea. She didn’t want him to leave.

“John, they told us to stay here,” was what she said. What she meant was, Johnny, I want you to stay here with me.

He turned and looked at her. She knew the look in his eyes. “Do you always do what you’re told?” And with that, he walked off. She slumped down in her chair, feeling like she might faint.

*************

Rogue lay on her bed, sobbing into her pillow. She couldn’t believe John would abandon her like this. She hadn’t gotten to tell him about the baby, his baby. She had no idea when or even if she would ever see him again. She hadn’t even gotten a chance to say a proper goodbye.

She rolled over. She would still have the baby, she knew that, but what now? Should she try to send him a message? She couldn’t figure out how in the world a letter would reach him. The stress of being knocked up at age 18 was already enough, but now, knowing that she would probably be raising it on her own…she burst into tears again.

A few minutes later, there was a soft knock at her door.

“Go away,” she muttered.

“It’s me, Marie,” she heard Logan say through the door.

“I don’t care.”

“Well, I do, and I’m coming in so you’d better be decent.”

She sat up on her bed and wiped at her eyes. Logan opened her door and looked down at her tearstained face. Her eyes were red and puffy and her hair was a little mussed, but she was still beautiful to him. He sat down next to her, and stroked her hair. “Geez, it’s hot in here,” he mumbled, and took off his flannel shirt, leaving him in his white tee.

“How could he just leave like that?” Rogue demanded of him. She knew he would realize to whom she was referring.

“I don’t know, darlin’, I don’t know. I just know he was a prick for doing it,” Logan growled the last part, making his distain known. Rogue just sniffed into his shoulder. “You never got around to telling him, did you?”

“No.”

Logan sighed. “I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but I think that might have been for the best.”

Rogue looked up at him. “What?”

“Kid, it’s not like he was always the most trustworthy person around. This was just him showing his true colors. You might be better off without him. This kid’s life,” he said, placing his hand gently on Rogue’s still flat belly, “might be better off without him.”

Rogue was incensed. Holding herself back from slapping him, she snapped at Logan, “Well, I guess I’m not fucking likely to find out now, am I? And now I have this baby that I have no clue how to take care of, and I’m all alone. You think Bobby is gonna help me raise the bastard son of his best friend? He’s a nice boy but he’s not a fucking saint.” She glared at Logan.

“Listen, Rogue, you’re not all alone. You got me. Remember? I made you a promise once, and I don’t break my word.” As he spoke, her glare softened. He continued, “Now, I know you’re upset. A lot of us are, and apart from perhaps Scott, you got more of a right than any of us to be upset by what happened up at the lake. So, I’m gonna give you your time to grieve. But, I’m coming back tomorrow, and then I’m going to take care of you. And that’s gonna start with a trip to the doctor.”

Rogue nodded her head. She knew he was right. After kissing her forehead, he got up and left. Rogue felt a new sense of comfort knowing that Logan was looking out for her. Then again, he always was. Smiling for the first time that evening, she reached over and grabbed the flannel shirt that Logan had left behind. It smelled like him, she noticed as she lay back down, hugging it. She soon fell asleep, grasping his shirt like the security blanket she had had when she was a little girl.
Chapter End Notes:
And now a word from the author: I hear you guys loud and clear! I know you all want to see Logan and our gal together! I do too! Good things come to those who wait, because the course of true love never did run smooth.