Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the long wait, I've been busy. Also sorry for the short chapter, but I wanted to get this up before the big move to campus, and I don't know when I'll be able to get to it again, but I will try to as soon as I can
‘What happened?’ I asked myself. I tried to open
my eyes but the light was too bright and I had to close
them again. Everything hurt, but what hurt the most was
my left arm and between my legs. ‘Oh not again!’ I
thought, fearing that I had been taken advantage of yet
again. I tried to lift my left arm, but stopped when I
felt excruciating pain run up my arm. I groaned. My right
arm, however, didn’t hurt as badly and I was able to
glide it over my stomach. I panicked. The baby bump was
no longer there. I forced my eyes open to see what the
hell was going on. When my eyes adjusted, I looked
around. I was surrounded by metallic walls in what looked
like an infirmary. There was an IV sticking out from the
crook of my right elbow, and some wires had me attached
to a beeping machine. I tried to sit up, but as soon as I did, the room started to spin horribly and the beeping machine started screeching. I lay back down willing the
dizziness and the noise to go away.

“Jean, she’s awake!” I heard a woman’s voice exclaim nearby.

“Alright, I’m coming,” replied another woman’s voice, from farther away, who I assumed was Jean.

I panicked, and I couldn’t help but tremble.

Two women strolled into my line of sight. The one with the caramel colored skin spoke first. Her hair was long and white as snow, but nothing about her appearance suggested that she was anywhere near old.

“Marie - ,” she started.

“Rogue,” I retorted, my voice scratchy. “My name is Rogue!” I despised anyone using my birth name, after I had left home all those months ago.

“Rogue,” she said smiling slightly. “Honey there’s nothing to be afraid of. You’re safe here.” She moved her hand to rest on my shoulder. It was then that I realized I was wearing one of those paper-like hospital gowns.

The other woman -Jean- stepped in. She had flame red hair that was pulled back into a high ponytail. She was wearing glasses and a white lab coat.

“Where am I?” I asked.

“Westchester, New York. You’re at Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. I’m Dr. Jean Grey. This is Ororo Munroe,” she said as she motioned toward the white haired woman. “Do you remember what happened,” she asked me.

As the fragments of the accident returned to my mind I relayed them to Dr. Grey and Ms. Munroe: riding on the back of Logan’s motorcycle, seeing the truck swerving toward us, but after that my mind went blank.

“We found you by a tree a few hundred meters from the scene. With the position we found you in, it’s a wonder you didn’t break your back,” Dr. Grey commented.

Hmmm, so that’s why my back was sore as well.

“Rogue…there’s something else you should know,” Dr. Grey started.

I felt something was wrong as she said those words; my stomach dropped.

“Your child…it… it didn’t make it.”

No.

“We did everything we could…”

“No!” I screamed, tears streaming down my face. I tore the blanket off me and hopped down off the table.

“Rogue wait! Let me explain!” she called as I ran out off the room, not caring that I was only covered in the paper gown.

The hallway was a gleaming chrome, familiar in a way I didn’t want it to be, so I screamed for the only person.

“LOGAN!!”

I ran as fast as my sore legs would carry me, turning every which way trying to find a way out. I was crying hysterically. Lucky for me a door whirred open, and I thought ‘great an elevator, maybe that’ll take me to a way outta here.’ I stepped inside and the door whirred shut again. When the door opened again, I entered a long wooden paneled hallway. It was empty. I saw daylight, which meant window, which also meant an exit. I didn’t care though, I wasn’t gonna leave without Logan.

“Logan!”

I opened the first door on my right, only to rebound off a semi hard object and land on my ass, which made my lower regions sting profusely. It was all I could do to bring my knees to my chest and sob. Someone attempted to pick me up, but I jerked out of their grasp.

“Relax, kid it’s just me.”

“Logan?” I choked out between sobs as I felt a pair of arms lift me up and carry me. When I opened my eyes again I saw golden-hazel one staring back down at me.

“Hey kid.”

I let go of Logan’s shirt that I hadn’t realized I’d grab a hold of and threw my arms around his neck and buried my face into his shoulder as fresh tears fell. My whole body was trembling.

“Hey, Rogue, what’s…” he stopped. I could feel him nuzzle into my hair and hear him take several deep breaths. “Damn, kid I’m sorry.” He stayed there like that, his face in my hair, which was strangely comforting and I was able to calm down in a few minutes. When I had calmed down, he slipped a hand under my chin and moved me so I could face him.

“What happened?” he asked.

“I don’t know exactly, I left the room before anyone could explain. I guess… I guess it didn’t survive the wreck,” I answered, then buried my face once again into Logan’s chest, willing myself not to cry.

“Damn it, I should have listened to you,” he said, kissing me at my hairline.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes before I spoke.

“Logan, what is this place?”

I watched as he opened his mouth and closed it several times in an attempt to explain.

“I don’t think I would be able to answer that one for you, darlin’.”