She couldn’t sleep, couldn’t eat. For 3 days they had him and for 3 days every possible scenario of what they could be doing to him ran through her head. She saw images of his flesh ripped apart again and again. Horrific scenes of his blood pooling on the floor below him kept her from closing her eyes because she knew that if she was to sleep her subconscious mind could concoct even more disturbing pictures, which she just couldn’t handle.

Every noise and sound made her alert and waiting to see if the doors to the cell block would open and she would see the guards dragging Wolverine’s unconscious body through the doors and back to her.

She couldn’t stand the waiting and not knowing, she was going crazy!

She was pacing the cell trying to pass the minutes without thinking of what they could be doing to Wolverine when it happened.

A huge explosion ripped through the compound, shaking the floor and the walls around her.

From that point on everything went by her so quickly, so confusingly she didn’t quite how she became so lost and alone.

*-*-*-*-*

Fire licked at his skin and rubble continued to fall to the floor. He didn’t know what had happened, but all of a sudden the building was falling around him and the people who were holding him were dead or dieing at his feet. He was free.

The explosion was so great that even through the smell of brick dust, fire and burning flesh that he could smell fresh, crisp air and pine trees coming in through a gaping hole in the side of the structure. He could smell freedom through the death.

But even though the freedom he had all but completely given up on was so close he couldn’t have to think of leaving the girl behind. The girl who he had clung to through the unknown number of days they had held him strapped to a medical table. The girl who, even when he was no where near her, brought him peace.

So his choice was made, he heading away from the crisp fresh air back into the bowls of his hell to search for his lifeline.

He had no idea where he was going, every time they had taken him he had been too drugged to know which way was up let alone memorise the layout of the building. So he just ran, ran down long corridors and endless stairwells trying to detect a hint of her familiar scent through all the other foreign ones.

And just when he began to give up, he found her. The barest of traces of her, but he knew that she was near and as that realisation hit his heart began to race and his breath was coming too quick for him to think of anything but getting to her and saving her, saving them both.

He ran, cutting through doors like they were butter trying to find her and as he slashed through another he recognised the room that had held him captive for so many months. He stormed in hoping to find her waiting, knowing he would come for her, but as he came up to their cell his heart froze in his chest and his world crashed down around him, like the building that he was standing in.

She was lying on the cold stone floor, warm blood flowing out of her, mixing with the rubble that surrounded her still body.

A few seconds passed where he just looked at her, watching life leave her until he willed himself to do something, anything. Roughly picking a dead guard up that laid haphazardly against a crumbling wall he searched his pockets for the keys to the cells. Attempting to regain some composure he forced the key into the lock and wrenched the door open, but he stilled in the doorway, not knowing what to do. So much blood surrounded her he couldn’t pull his gaze away from it as more oozed from deep cuts that marred her perfect skin.

He stood frozen to the spot until he picked up the slightest of sounds, small uneven breaths coming from the woman in front of him. Without taking another pause he was crouching over her carefully removing bricks and debris from her prone body, trying to stem the flow of blood that continued to surge from her wounds.

It was then he heard the voices, a mix of familiar and unknown people in the throws of what sounded like a fire fight on the floors above. As he listened to the noises getting closer he was shocked back to the girl in front of him as he felt the familiar pain of her mutation pulling at him. He had removed his hands from her in alarm, but he relaxed, even in the face of the crumbling building and the fighting edging ever closer to them, calm came over him. He saw a way to save her, to rescue his own salvation.

*-*-*-*-*

The rush of energy that surged through her forced her to her feet, her nerves humming with coiled power. Her eyes darted around the small room finding nothing to fix on until she saw a body laying beside where she had just been. His unmoving form laying in a pool of blood shocked her to total stillness. She wondered how they had cut him so badly that so much of his blood could have come from him. It wasn’t until she inspected him and saw no wounds, not even the pink of healing cuts that could have caused such bleeding that she realised what he had done.

As she moved closer to see what could have happened she noticed her own blood soaked hands, then her torn shirt and stained skin. She was so used to his mind at the forefront of hers that she hadn’t noticed the surge of his personality overcoming her own. The realisation of what he had done for her finally shocked her into action.

She leaned over him fearing the worst, but as she got closer, under all of the noise around them she could hear his shallow breaths and strong heartbeat. He was alive and it was now up to her to get them out of there.

She exhaled a breath she didn’t know she had been holding as a groan came from deep in Wolverine’s chest. She rested her forehead quickly on his rising chest until a loud crash, emanating from somewhere far too close for comfort disturbed her silent rejoicing.

“You need to get up now, we have to move.” She shook him lightly, and then thought better of it, he needed to wake up, she needed him to wake up.

Wincing even before she did it, she hit him as hard as she could. “Wake up!” He groaned again, moving slightly. “You have to move!” She struck him again, “NOW!” His eyes opened groggily as another blast was heard outside the door. “Thank you, oh thank you.” She hadn’t realised how scared she had been until she saw his dark, reassuring eyes staring back at her.

“Go.” His deep voice gruff and pained as he spoke.

But as soon as he had opened his eyes they closed again. “No, no, we both need to go.” She hit him again, but all she got was a ‘humph’ in return.

Panicking she made her way to the corridors and even hearing the fighting going on so close to the cells she ran out of the room trying to find something to help her move him, to get him out, his heavy adimantium skeleton too heavy for her to move on her own.

Running out into the corridor she found herself in the middle of two fighting sides. At first she thought the guards were fighting some sort of special ops team, all dressed in black, but when a beam of red flashed from one of the special ops men and hit the group of guards facing them she realised who or rather what they were.

She tried to take it all in, the explosion, the mutants fighting her captors, the possibility of freedom, but all she could think of was Wolverine laying in the other room, counting on her. He consumed her thoughts until a barrage of bullets bit into her, the burning of her skin as each one ripped through flesh momentarily changed her focus.

She fell to her knees with the pain and even with Wolverine’s mutation, the sheer amount of bullets that had entered her were making it difficult for her to stay conscious.

“Bobby, grab her, we’ve got to get out of here before the whole place blows!” A strange man’s commanding voice cut through the fuzz that was settling over her brain and strong hands moved underneath her.

“No!” She screamed in her head, but the word came out as barely a whisper.

“It’s ok. We’re the good guys.” The boy holding her spoke with almost bragging in his voice.

“No! I can’t leave him. He saved me.” She murmured, trying to fight against his hold. She had to go back, she had to save Wolverine. Why weren’t they listening to her?

The image of Wolverine lying in a pool of her blood chased her into unconsciousness.