He woke shortly after dawn and was confused why he was laying on the cold stone and not in his bed. He tried to sit up, but the painful knowing in his brain made him stop midway. Slowly moving his head he looked over at his bed and the night before slowly came flooding back to him. She was lying in his bed. But there was something different about her. She had changed. The first thing he noticed was she no longer smelt of those different men. She smelled like herself and him, a heady mix of scents. She also looked different, her face was no longer battered and her chest, where a huge bruise had discoloured her skin was no longer there. He stepped a little closer, but stopped suddenly. Her breathing changed. She began to pant and thrashed a little as a moan came out of her mouth. She moved again and suddenly sat up straight, a gruff cry being ripped from her throat. Her eyes shot open and she looked straight at him with such pain in her eyes he wondered if that’s what he looked like when he awoke from a nightmare.

*-*-*-*-*

Finally focusing on the man before her she broke down in grief. Silent tears rolled down her face and onto the hard stone floor. The pain had gone through. She couldn’t understand it, couldn’t grasp it. And she used to think she had it bad.

The nightmare had hit her without warning and hit her hard. Over the years of coping with her mutation she had managed to make a filing system in her head to put the people’s memories and feelings when she took their energy from them. She had managed, with help, to file them away and never have to look at them unless she really concentrated. So it was such a shock to her system to have the Wolverine’s memories and thoughts thrust to the forefront of her mind, not wanting to be filed away.

She felt his hurt and pain that he so willingly pushed into nothing. As she tried to get his thoughts in order she hit one of his memories; the men he had killed, the women he had slept with, the un-see able past and suddenly it hit her again, his memory of the cutting and hot metal being poured into his sore flesh. The pain burned her and she fell to the floor trying to douse the flames inside, trying to cool her burning bones.

The memories receded, but they were still with her. They floated at the back of her head. Reminding her of what he had been through.

*-*-*-*-*

He watched her squirm on the floor wondering what was wrong with her, he was about to call out for a guard when she seemed to calm down and look at him. Slowly sitting up she reached for him. He didn’t flinch away thinking she might hold on that little bit longer. He was so close to death before, he thought she might be the one to bring him peace in the end. But when she touched him, he didn’t feel the pull he had before. There was nothing there now; it was like she had turned it off. He looked at her as her hands slid down his arm and finally came to rest on his hand. Pulling his heavy hand up to her face she began to inspect them. She ran her soft fingers across the indents between his knuckles and he knew what she was looking for. Pulling his hand out of hers he quickly shot the blades out of his hands. She didn’t react like everyone else who had seen them for the first time; she just looked at them in wonderment and sadness. Taking his hand back she began to carefully inspect the blades a tear slid down her face and dropped onto one of the blades, he tracked the droplet as it slid effortlessly down it and dripped silently onto the floor. His gaze was dragged back to the girl who was now sliding her delicate fingers across the blades. She followed the tear track right down to the tip, but she suddenly stopped. Pulling her finger slowly away he saw it, a cut along her finger. He quickly pulled the blades back into his hand. He had hurt her. He had hurt the first person in long a while who hadn’t been scared of him, of what they made him. She smiled as the cut knitted together and he sat back in amazement. She sucked her finger and showed it to him. It was gone, no marked skin or even a sign that it had once been cut apart from the small droplet of blood on the floor. He looked at her face wondering if that was why they had been put together, because she was the same as him.

She leaned into him and touched him on the chest, whispering quietly, “I took this.” Her hand moved up his body and she touched his temple, “And this.”

He didn’t know what to make of it at first. But soon the realisation hit him with full force. She had seen into his head. She had taken part of him into her self. That was what her nightmare was. That was what she had seen that scared her to tears. She saw a part of him that he never wanted to show anyone. The pain they had put him through and turmoil he was in because of it.

He looked at her and saw pity in her eyes. He didn’t want her pity. Quickly pulling away from her he saw her face fall. He knew what she was thinking, ‘poor man,’ ‘who could do such a thing to an innocent man.’ But he wasn’t innocent. He had found out he had gone into the procedure willingly, but all he felt and remembered after was betrayal. He didn’t want her pity. He didn’t need her pity. He had enough of his own to last a lifetime.

*-*-*-*-*

She slumped on the floor. She knew he had been angry that she had stolen those memories. Everyone was angry when she stole a part of who they were. She couldn’t help but feel such sadness for him. The agony the people had put him through, but he had escaped. Then due to one mistake he was back, afraid of what would happen to him now they had him again. And then she felt mad at him, he wanted to kill himself and give up on what life he had, the life he could have if he just tried to get out. They had battered him down so much that he didn’t even think that he could escape.

She stopped and listened; she could hear the keys turning in the lock of the door, of the cell block. It was wonderful if she really listened and she could even hear the guard breathing. The door opened and she almost gagged with the stench of him, one of the many guards who had tried to touch her since she had been there. Looking around she saw that Wolverine had also heard the guard. She was suddenly frightened for her life. If they found that Wolverine hadn’t beaten her up and that also she was better with him than she was in her own cage then they would put her back and then she would never get out. Seeing her chance, as the Wolverine was obviously bust with tracking the guard she pounced on him and on instinct he lashed out at her, hitting her back against the wall with such force she thought he maybe broke her ribs again.

He leapt up to her and towered over her crumpled form, breathing hard against her skin. She could see in his eyes that he felt betrayed; that he had known that she was a spy for them. And she found that she was sad that he thought that. She wanted to know him, be with him, even just to have his companionship in this hard time. She pleaded with him, pleading for what she didn’t know, to either hit her again to keep the guards away or to see that she wasn’t the enemy. He stilled, breath no longer coming. And then she heard it, the guard had stopped outside the cell and was looking at him; Wolverine’s body shielded her away from the guards gaze. He pulled an arm back and she readied herself for another blow when he punched the wall right next to her head, a yelp came out of her at the shock. He looked at her steadily and she knew what he meant. Closing her eyes she turned into the wall, shielding herself from his pretend attack. She felt Wolverine leave her to show the guard her shaking, beaten form and the guard laughed.

“Serves you right! Fucking bitch! Serves you right for killing one of us!” He spat at her. Waiting until she heard the cellblock door close and lock. Wiping the spittle off her arm she stood and checked to see if she had any bruises or broken bones. She was winded, but it didn’t feel like she had broken anything.

*-*-*-*-*

He looked at her and he saw what the guards saw. A beautiful woman who made his blood boil with want. When he was out in the world he had never gone this long without being with a woman, and as he looked at this wonderful woman in front of him the thought of sex came to the front of his mind. As she checked herself over once the guard had gone she revealed creamy, soft white skin and more womanly figure. A groan left his throat as she unbuttoned the only two buttons left on her flimsy shirt to reveal large white globes topped with dusty pink nipples. Shaking himself out of the thought of how they would feel under his hands and how she would cry out if he licked them. He quickly took off his shirt and handed it to her; she smiled a quick smile at him and completely removed her shirt to put his on. Turning, he fell down onto his bed to rest a while. Recovering after whatever she had done to him had severely depleted his energy supplies and with the drugs they had shot into him he was feeling very tired. Taking one last look at her he smiled slightly at the size of his shirt on her. The hem almost reached her knees and she had rolled the sleeves up twice and still only the tips of her fingers could be seen. Drifting off he welcomed the flashes of her skin and beautiful face interrupting his nightmare filled sleep.

He woke abruptly and realised he had slept right into the night. The longest he had gone without a bad dream. He knew it had something to do with his new cell mate, and he welcomed the change. Looking into the darkened cell he saw her curled up in the corner. She restlessly tossed around on the cold stone, but turning toward him, she opened her eyes. The just looked at each other, both wondering more and more about who the other was. He lifted an arm and he was glad she didn’t hesitate, picking herself up she walked over to him and carefully laid down next to him. He smiled into the back of her head as she scooted back fitting herself into the front of her body. He put his arm around her waist, waiting for her reaction, but smirked again, happily surprised when she pulled his arm tighter around her pressing herself snugly to his front.

*-*-*-*-*

She woke halfway through the night hearing someone coming. Turning to Wolverine she saw that he was awake as well. Reluctantly pulling herself from his warm embrace she shuffled over to the corner and fell into a heap trying to get comfortable again. As she twisted and turned it surprised her that she actually smiled, it became so funny that her smile soon spread into a huge grin spread across her face. Then the smile turned into a laugh, which she quickly covered with her hand. And that laugh turned into a full blown hysterical fit of giggling. Pushing her face into the wall she couldn’t help the laughter make her shake. She heard the guard come closer and then stop at the cell door, but even that couldn’t stop her laughter. She heard him move off again and turning to Wolverine who was looking at her worriedly she just smiled. It had struck her as strange that the only time she was even a little happy was when she was in the presence of the most feared man in the complex. Someone who had more horror stories about him than she could remember. And that made her laugh.

Crawling slowly over to him across the cold floor she looked over him approvingly. Without his shirt on he was one fine specimen of a man and compared to the guards he was a sight for very sore eyes. He was highly built with muscles that seemed so strong and welcoming, she wanted to climb into his embrace and never leave. His eyes were dark and menacing to all that didn’t know what he felt like inside, but to her they were the most wonderful eyes she had ever seen, so much turmoil and anger brewed behind them. Finally reaching him he lifted his arm to let her back in and that she did and would be thanking him forever for the relief he was giving her and the protection he was providing. Pushing herself into his hard chest and before even realising she had done it, she heard herself purr in satisfaction. And what surprised her even more was hearing a growl from Wolverine in return who pushed his face into her hair and sighed pleasantly against the back of her neck.

They spent days like that. Sleeping together and moving whenever a guard came through. Wolverine had to beat her up a few times, but nothing major, just a few bruises and cuts, but she was thankful for every single one because it meant she could spend more time with him, under his protection. And as long as she was with him, none of the guards would dare come in the cage.

But just as she had gotten into a place where she thought she was safe when she saw the guards coming up to the cage with dart guns. Suddenly scared that they had finally grown balls and were coming to take her away, to have another go on her, she hid behind Wolverine, hoping that he would protect her like he had done for the past couple of weeks and he stood defiantly in front of her. But instead of trying to shoot at her they shot into Wolverine’s chest. Hearing at least 6 darts being shot into him she realised they were after him and all of his horrible memories came back to the front of her mind.

Screaming out she shot round the front of him and started to pull the darts out. Someone grabbed her from behind, but she easily kicked them off. She felt something pierce her back, but it didn’t really take notice of it until darkness started to swamp her vision. Trying to shake it off she began slapping him, trying to wake him up. Her slaps soon became feeble hits until she completely collapsed onto him, darkness settling its self firmly across her brain.

She woke to total darkness, cold and alone.