They managed to get in to the hardware store and back to the lumber mill relatively unscathed. Their trip had soon proved to be successful, and Logan was already itching to get his hands on the machines of the old mill. That, however, had to wait. They had much more pressing matters to deal first.

“Scott! What happened?” Jean cried, hurrying to greet them as they stepped in to the mill, Logan leading Scott from the elbow.
“Nothing. I walked on to a branch and my visor snapped,” Scott said nonchalantly. Jean’s eyes darted between the two men quickly. Logan knew that she knew that Scott was lying. There was no hiding things from a telepath. But it looked like Jean was willing to let it slide. She grasped Scott’s hand and led him in, then helped him to sit down.
“It’s okay, Jean. I made it through back when I was just a kid. How hard can it be now?” Scott was trying to assure her.

“Where’s Marie?” Logan asked. He couldn’t smell her scent in the air, meaning that she must have been away from Jean for quite some time already.
“She went fishing for few hours ago. We found some fishing rods from that office and we thought it would be nice to eat something else than rabbit for a change,” Jean explained, fiddling with the broken visor Scott had handed to her.
“Fuck this. What part of moving in group only didn’t you guys understand?” Logan growled. Jean turned to look at him, puzzled look on her face.
“The lake is basically on the other side of that wall. I’d hear if anything happened,” she pointed out.
“What ever. I’ll go and see if she’s okay.”

The lumber mill was built near the lake. Only a narrow strip of rocky ground separated the two, but Logan was worried. It was irrational, Marie could take care of herself better than well, and if anything would have happened, Jean would have heard it.

Marie was sitting on a large rock, a small basket filled with fish resting at her feet. Fishing rod was resting little higher on the shore. She wasn’t fishing anymore, just sitting and soaking her feet in the water.

“Hi. Caught anything good?” He asked, sitting next to Marie and reaching the basket.
“It’s fish. Does it really matter what kind of fish it is?” She asked somewhat sullenly.
“I guess not. What’s bugging you?” He asked.
“Nothing... I just... I talked with Jean and...”
“And?”
“Nothing. It’s kind of personal. I promised her not to tell,” Marie said, then finally turned to look at him.
“So, did you guys find anything useful?” She quickly changed the subject. Logan knew he’d eventually hear what it was that was bothering her, so he let it slide.
“The whole fucking store would have been useful. Decided to take just few toolboxes this time. We have to go back later. Scott thought that he might be able to repair the Blackbird with what we found from there.”
“Really?” That picked up her interest.
“Well, not Scott. I’d have to do the actual work, but he was sure that he could talk me through it.”
“”Huh? Scott was tinkering with the jet and cars all the time when we lived at Xavier. What’s stopping him from getting his hands dirty now?” Marie asked puzzled.
“I broke his visor.”
“What?”
“It was an accident. I was aiming at his forehead, but he ducked and...”
“Do I even want to know what happened?”
“You have to know. Scott’s... He’s not okay. And I think even Jean knows that. He’s too stressed out about all that’s happened. We should be careful with him.”

Marie turned to stare at the pristine surface of the lake again. Logan could sense that there was something she really wanted to say, but instead she sat there in silence. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders.
“I’m not saying that we should be afraid of him. Worried? Definitely. We have to keep our eyes on him. I’m not sure what’ll happen. Maybe he gets it out of his system, maybe not,” he said, trying to assure the girl that there was no real danger involved. He couldn’t imagine Scott actually hurting any member of his team. That was not something Scott Summers would do, no matter what.
“Are you sure about that?” Marie asked.
“I’m sure. I’m more worried that he might hurt himself.”
“Well, if you say so...”
“Yeah, I say so. Come on, we better get back. I’m starving, and I’m sure that Jean and Scott could use something to eat, too,” Logan wrapped up their conversation and stood up, picking up the basket. He was about to help Marie up as well when a distant scream made them both freeze.

“What was that?” Marie asked.
“I don’t know. We better hurry.”

Jean and Scott were waiting for them at the doorstep of the mill.
“Did you guys hear that?” Scott asked.
“Yeah. It sounded like it came from the village,” Logan said.
“We should go and check it out,” Scott said.
“You’re going to stay with Jean. We’re going to check it out.”
“But...”
“Shut up, Scott. Right now you’re no use in battle. Try and see if you can get that visor fixed,” Logan quipped, gave the basket with fish to Jean and took running towards the small path that he had earlier used with Scott to reach the village. Another scream, this time louder echoed through the forest.
“Turn on your skin, kid, this might get ugly!” He shouted to Marie who was running after him.