Author's Chapter Notes:
Any mistakes.... Blame the computer... Seriously, this was hell trying to get back together!!!!!
Agent Savannah Danvers sat back in her chair, her beer left untouched as her companion nursed his own.

He had called her once he had taken a shower and thought of what he was going to tell her, agreeing on a place and time to meet. He tried to tell her everything over the phone, but she refused to listen. She insisted that she wanted to hear any news in person. That was about sixteen hours ago. It was now eight in the evening and they were sitting in a bar a few miles from the school. Danvers had insisted on coming to him. It gave him more time to get his head on straight.

“The place was empty,” he said quickly, knowing that it was best to get this kind of news over with.” It looked like there was an escape at least an hour before we arrived.”

“Was there any evidence of anything at all?” She wouldn't be specific, but Logan knew what she was asking. Was there any sign of her sister?

He sighed, reaching into the backpack at his feet and handing her a partially charred manila folder. “The entire site was destroyed. There was a firebug held captive there, so it's easy to assume that he set fire to the place shortly after they made their escape. We were able to recover a few things; a couple of hard-copy files and a computer that may or may not have something useful on it. I have someone working on it right now.

“This file was all that I found on your sister. Her name is in there, along with her abilities and what I think were the scientist's intentions for her. Unless she was transferred just before the escape, I think she made it out of there alive. The only bodies that we found were employees.”

“Then why hasn't she contacted me or anyone else?” The detective mused, not taking her eyes off the folder in her hands. “She would have at least called our parents by now.”

“I suggest you take some time off and go home to your family. I couldn't say what's going on, but if she's as close to your family as you claim, she'll call.” Logan stood to leave, laying a couple of dollars on the table for the waitress. He paused for a second as he reached down for his backpack. “Do me a favor, though. If you do hear from your sister, ask her about Rogue for me. You have my cell.”

She tore her eyes away from the folder long enough to meet his. The pain in them was unmistakable and Savannah had to wonder about how much the strong man before her was hurting for him to be showing any of it. “She's didn't make it, did she?”

He knew who she was talking about, and felt his bones chill. He saw different things in his mind as he thought about which answer to give her: flashes of blood and bodies, scents that should never have been combined. “I don't know. When I first got there ... There was a lot of blood and - the others are going to hold a service for her in a few days. Try to say goodbye and move on. I'm going to keep an ear open, though. Just call.”

His back tense and shoulders hunched, he turned before she could ask another question, before walking out of the bar and disappearing.




She had allowed her thoughts to engross her, trying to determine what she could glean from the thoughts and memories of the other personalities trapped in her head. But now that she was finally safe and able to concentrate, she found that her mind would only focus on one important detail: the fact that she had killed a man.

It was true that he had been one of her rapists, and yes, he had deserved everything that had happened, but it didn't change the fact that she had killed him. She had used her abilities to take his life.

And it scared her to know that while she felt no remorse at all, there was a definite pleasure attached to the memory of the act.

“What do you want, Mystique?” Rogue asked loudly, catching the scent of the woman who lingered outside the door.

It opened slowly, the shape-shifter entering quietly. Rogue glanced at the window to her left, realizing that it was now well past dark. Sitting up and looking over, it was a surprise to find the older woman was now in her normal skin . Rogue shuddered slightly as she sat on the bed next to her.

Someone had changed the bedspreads while Rogue had been in the shower; fresh linens the color of lilacs had replaced the white down that had initially covered the bed.” I hope you don't mind that I confiscated your room.”

Mystique smiled slowly, a smile that should have been warm, but only came off as cold and sinister. “Not at all. I've moved into another room down the hall. I thought that with everything you've been through lately, you should have your own space. Victor told me what happened in that place, though, Rogue. And, I just wanted you to know that if you need to talk about it, I will listen.”

“What do you care about what happened to me?” Rogue asked with a sarcastic laugh. “This isn't just another way to get me to join Magneto's Brotherhood, now is it? Because I'll put that old hospital gown back on and walk out of here barefoot if it is.”

“Actually, I am no longer affiliated with Magneto. Neither is anyone here,” Mystique responded slowly. “He abandoned me when I gave up something precious for him. And let's just say that he has opened my eyes to the type of monster he really is.”

Rogue paused for a moment, trying to decide if what Mystique said was true or not. “What did you give up?”

“My mutation,” Mystique replied quietly. “It was when he rescued me from that damn moving prison. We were releasing the others on board when one of the guards tried to shoot him with that damn cure. I stepped in the way and took it for him. He left me there. Later, after I was apprehended, I was given amnesty for all of the information I could give on Magneto's plans. About three weeks later, my abilities began to come back.”

“So, if you took the cure ... Then it's not permanent?” Rogue asked slowly, realization dawning on her. “And if I had actually been given the cure, it would have worn off and I could have hurt someone.”

“It would have been a disaster,” Mystique replied with a shrug. “But I did want to apologize for what Magneto put you through on the statue. I honestly thought that he was right, that your sacrifice was for a worthy cause. I am sorry for that, and I know that I don't deserve your forgiveness, but ...”

“You're right. You don't deserve it,” Rogue replied, glaring at the other woman. “And I'm not offering it. I'm sorry, Mystique, but you almost let that man kill me up there. I can't forgive for that.”

“I understand,” Mystique replied slowly, her shoulders tensing. Maybe Irene had been right. Maybe Mystique should have given the girl more time. “And, like I said, I am not asking for your forgiveness. What I am asking for is some help. The mutants in this city ... They need protection. There is no safe place to go and no one to watch out for them. They need someone who will make sure that they are kept safe. Most of the mutants here are runaways. Children and adults both, whose families didn't want them, and since this is a tourist town, the only jobs really offered to the mutants, are in freak shows in the casino.”

“And what do you want me to do about it, Mystique,” Rogue hissed. “I'm not a superhero, not anymore. I gave up that life when I decided to do something for myself and not the team.”

Mystique leaned forward, her eyes holding fast to Rogue's. “No one here knows how to be a hero. Not like you. Carol was in the air force, but I can't expect her to stay. She hasn't kept it a secret that she has a family who might be looking for her, and even if she didn't, she's not a born leader like you. Victor told me of the sacrifice you made to not only get him and yourself out of that hell, but the others too. You could have died, and would have if he hadn't healed you. Carol has a special power. She has an invulnerability that keeps her from getting hurt. Kind of like a healing power. If she had cut herself open, it would have healed just as quickly as if it had been Victor. He told me everything that you survived, and what it took for you to stay in that cell with him when all you knew about him was what Wolverine had told you. Anyone else would have tried to kill themselves but you followed your gut and stayed.”

“Then what about the others? You have your pick. I did the superhero thing before, and look where it got me. If you want a superhero team so bad, then why don't you lead it? Why not Pyro? He lived at that mansion too, and he was there a lot longer than I was,” Rogue yelled, not caring who over heard her.

“The others can't do it, not like you can. Pyro wasn't on the team at all. The only training he really has is with his mutation, and even that's minimal. He has no combat training whatsoever. Magneto made damn sure of that.” Mystique let her shoulders relax, her voice softening as she spoke. “As for the others ... Well, none of them have the experience of working with a team like you do. You know how to pair people's mutations to compliment each other. You can point out weaknesses and strengths. You've done this before. This town, these people need you. It's not like it was in New York. People here aren't just targeting mutants. Anyone who helps a mutant is put on a list. People of all kinds are dying.”

“Tell me about the others, then,” Rogue said slowly, her mind wrapping around all that Mystique had said. “And what town are we in, anyway? I wasn't awake when you came into the picture, remember?”

“Does this mean you'll do it?” Mystique asked hopefully, her eyes wide with hope. Rogue wondered if this was the most vulnerable Mystique had allowed herself to be in a long time.

“I didn't say that,” Rogue said bitterly. “I'll consider it, though.”

“Well, first off, we're in Las Vegas ...” Mystique spent the next few hours telling Rogue what she knew of the others, explained abilities. She told her of what was happening in the city, and of the desperation. When she finished, Rogue noticed that the sky was beginning to turn pink. The sun was rising.

“I'll need time to think this through. It's a lot that you're asking me for, and I'm not sure I'm really what you're looking for.” Rogue wouldn't look away from the window, instead enjoying the way the sky slowly lightened as the minutes slowly ticked by. She hadn't allowed herself to admit it back in the cell, but she had been very sure that she would never see another sunrise again. “But I'll let you know.”

Mystique only nodded slightly, standing from the bed and moving slowly to the bedroom door.

Rogue let her reach the door before asking a question that had been gnawing at the back of her mind all night. “Why would Victor tell you what happened to me when we were in there?”

Mystique paused, not sure what to do. She could keep walking out the door, but Rogue would probably find the truth anyway. She turned, looking at the other woman, hoping that she wouldn't judge her for what she was going to tell her. “Victor and I don't keep anything from each other.”

Rogue felt a lump grow in her throat at the intimacy in Mystique's voice. “Are you lovers?”

“We were, once, a long time ago. We have a son together,” Mystique paused for a second, unsure of what Rogue's reaction would be. "His name is Graydon Creed. He's the district attorney here. He's also the founder of a group of HOMO SAPIANS known as the Friends Of Humanity. They're a group of people who believe in the persecution and extermination of all mutants.”

“Your son ... He's normal?” Rogue asked slowly, realizing that things might be even more twisted than Mystique was telling her. "And he's a mutant-hater?”

“Yes ... And I need you to kill him.”
Chapter End Notes:
feedback is really appreciated!!!!!