Author's Chapter Notes:
We get to hear from Pyro now

Chapter 4: Pyro
Song: Coming Home by A New Found Glory
Now I'm coming home
I'm coming home to you again
I hope things haven't changed





I never said I was perfect. I mean I know I’m pretty damn close but still not perfect.

I fucked up. I get that now, that’s why I’m standing outside the only home I’ve ever had, trying to get the balls to go in.

I left two girls behind, my friend and my sort-of girl, the only people who ever meant anything to me. I left them behind so I can go hangout with metal-head and the blue naked chick. All because they fed me some line about being a god among insects. And I bought into it. I’m such an idiot. Was I really that insecure? I mean, how am I so different than Bobby who works with ice? Kitty who could walk through walls? Or Jean who used to move things with a thought?

Man, I miss Jean. She was the one who picked me up all those years ago and convinced me to go to the mansion. The sheriff of my town called them after I manifested while trying to protect my mom from her boyfriend – I swear I must have gotten the whole mutant thing from her because she had the ability to find the biggest asshole in whatever town we lived in. Jean was nice to me, almost motherly… not like she was at the end. She barely recognized me.



Best not to think about her.

Just focus on the gates and walking through them.

Rogue will forgive me, or at least I think she will but the other one… that girl is going to kill me for what I did. I left her when she was scared and in trouble. But in all fairness, how was I supposed to know she got caught that day. How was I supposed to know that while I was getting off the jet, she was there too, being held prisoner under Alkali Lake?

Her room was near one of the secret passages, she should have been the first person to getaway.

She started off a friend of a friend. She was obnoxiously loud, always popping her gum, always skipping from place to place, and always wearing bright colors. Way too happy and peppy for my taste. Even her name was happy. Jubilation Lee.

But one day she made me laugh and Rogue said that anyone who made me laugh had to be special. She was right. Jubilee wormed her way under my skin and I fell in love with her. We never talked about us officially but we flirted and we kissed a couple of times, she’s a great kisser, and we spent the night by the lake once drinking beer and talking. First time I ever talked with a girl, beside Rogue.

But I was confused about my life and about mutants and where we stand. I mean, look at Bobby. He had a great childhood, a family who loved him, a nice house and all that went away the moment they found out he was a mutant. In the blink of an eye, they went from loving him to being repulsed by him. It was fucked up and I got angry.

I never think straight when I’m angry and I made a big mistake. I made a decision that I was too young to make. I threw away everything I had for a man who hated humans so much; he didn’t care how many mutants went down in his way to be superior to them.

We were his pawns. I knew that the moment he turned his back on Mystique. Shit, she took dart full of the cure for him and he just shook his head and left her there. She loved him, looked up to him, and he left her once she wasn’t of use to him anymore. How fucked up is that? He never cared about the mutants in his Brotherhood… not like the Professor cared about us.

I know when I go through these gates that I’ve been looking at for the last half hour that he will take me back no questions asked. He’s just that nice. He cares about us. I can’t believe I took that for granted. I guess it’s true what they say ‘you don’t know what you have ‘til it’s gone’.

Oh this is bullshit. I’ve been thinking about going back for a year now, every since I left Mags after the whole Mystique thing. I’m just going in and hope those girls don’t kick my ass too much.

Once I’m through the doors, I hear someone yell ‘Johnny’ and all of a sudden someone has flung themselves at me and I have a face full of brown and white hair.

Rogue.

Damn I missed her. She was my best friend in this place and I was hers. We knew everything about each other. I was one of only two people in this world who knew both Rogue and Marie. Bobby always hated that she was always closer to me. He didn’t understand. We were both two angry, misunderstood and wild people. We let the other person… be.

I dropped my bag and hugged her back but then I heard a growl. Over her shoulder I saw Wolverine watching us, so I put my hand in the air where he can see they weren’t doing anything. Guess he finally decided to get his head out of his ass and get his girl. She pulled away from me, smiled at me and then out of nowhere smacked me… hard.

“St. John Allerdyce, if you ever leave us again, I will personally beat the shit out of you and when I’m done I’ll let him have a go.” She jerked her thumb toward Wolverine, who looked more than happy to show me what his claws can do.

“Alright. No leaving. Ever again. I was an ass. Please forgive me.” I gave her a hopeful smile and it was almost a minute of her staring at me before she smiled back and gave me another hug. But then she pulled back and smacked me again. “What the hell was that for?”

“That was for breaking her heart.” She was looking behind me and for the first time since I was a kid, I was scared. I just knew Jubilee was behind me so I turned around slowly. Damn. She got even more beautiful. Her hair got longer and she’s still wearing yellow but she looks a little older and her eyes are sadder. Shit. I shouldn’t have left.

She just walked up to Rogue gave her a hug and smiled “Hey Chica”, gave Wolverine a playful punch on the shoulder “Hey Wolvie”. When she looked at me she dropped her smile and said “Jonathan” coldly.

I guess Rogue sensed the tension because she pulled Logan away and I heard her say “Oh shut up. He’s like a brother to me.” Great now I had to tiptoe around him or chance getting clawed. Well, time to kiss some ass.

“Hey Jubilee. I just… I wanted to say…” I’m fucking this up, why can’t I just say ‘I’m sorry’?

“Don’t.” She turned and started to go up the stairs. I grabbed her and I could tell by the way she stiffened up that I shouldn’t have done that. She turned and shot some sparks at me. Shit that hurt. “I said DON’T. Just leave me alone. Go away. Just pretend I don’t exist. That should be easy for you” She started crying and I felt like a complete asshole. “Please just leave me alone.” She ran up to her room and slammed the door.

I’m back home less than thirty minutes and already I’ve been slapped twice, got the Wolverine thinking I’m after his girl and I realized how bad I hurt Jubilee. I will make it up to her, I just don’t know how. I’m not good at the whole ‘profess your love’ thing but I guess that’s what I have to do.

Fuck. I’m in deep shit.




Coming Home by A New Found Glory

I've been stuck in this whirlwind
My life's been spinning round my head
Long distance conversations
Make up for me not being there

And now I'm coming home
I'm coming home to you again
I hope you feel the same
Now I'm coming home
I'm coming home to you again
I hope things haven't changed

I've been locked inside this freight train
Unaware of the normal life I had
Frustration building a foundation
I wrote this song to let you know that I'll be back

And now I'm coming home
I'm coming home to you again
I hope you feel the same
Now I'm coming home
I'm coming home to you again
I hope things haven't changed

I hope you feel the same

I can't stop, can't stop thinking
About what you do when you're alone
Let's cut right to the chase girl
Take back the time, time that we've lost, time we've lost