Author's Chapter Notes:
Having a little writer’s block, so I thought I’d start a series where we get to see Rogue, Wolverine, or Rogue/Logan, through the someone else’s eyes. Each chapter, a different point of view. I’ll work on a new one whenever I can. I’d like them all to be based on a song but we’ll see.

I might have to bump up the rating as I go.

First up: Cody
Song: All Summer Long by Kid Rock
Now nothing seems as strange as when the leaves begin to change
Or how we thought those days would never end
Sometimes I hear that song and I start to sing along
And think, Man I'd love to see that girl again.





I heard that song today. The one she used to sing all the time, off-key, but with her whole heart in to it. I went to the store and found it on CD and I bought it.



I don’t hate her. I know everybody thinks I do, hell even she probably thinks that, but I don’t.

So she’s a mutant. Not like she can change that anymore she can change the color of her skin. She is who she is. I’m sure she’s still the same Marie as always. I’m sure we would have stayed best friends if she stayed.

We did everything together. We used to sneak up into Old Man Healey’s farm and swim in his pond.

Good times.

He died last month and I went back to that pond to pay my respects and to somewhat apologize for making him run after us when he had a bum leg and all. I couldn’t believe we had the guts to swim in that thing. It was gross. But like Marie always said ‘No risk, no reward’, and she was right because I fell in love with her by that pond.

She had this smile… man, what a smile. I remember how I would forget what I saying and feel my temperature rise whenever she smiled at me. If anybody ever knew her, truly knew her, they couldn’t hate her. Ever. She was sweet and sexy in her own goofy way. The best thing about her was her ability to see the good in people. I pray she never lost that.

When I woke up from my coma, ten months, three weeks and two days after that kiss, I asked about her. I didn’t know what had happened to me and I was worried she had gotten hurt also. My parents told me, and I quote, ‘that abomination is gone, thank god. Packed her things and left right after she attacked you. The Lord will deal with her, don’t you worry’.

I was shocked. This wasn’t some murderer she was talking about. This was Marie, little Marie, that my mom used to babysit and bathe and change her diapers. The girl that used to help her mama man the pie booth at the county fair. The girl who used to check on Mrs. Wilborn, the eighty seven year old widow who lived down the block, every day after school, just to give her the company. The girl… the girl I loved.

Still do a little.

I don’t think ya ever truly get over your first love.

I wonder if she knew I loved her. Probably not. I never let her think we were more than just best friends. The kiss was gonna be the jumping off point to start talking about being my girl. But it wasn’t meant to be. For years I used to think about her all the time. Wonder where she was, if she was happy, praying she wasn’t lying in a ditch off some back road.

After I thought about it, I knew she’d make it, out there in the world. She was tough and smart, smarter than anyone I ever met anyway. When she showed me how planned out her trip to Alaska was, I knew. Laying in that bed, watching her point to all the different stops she’d make and the things she’d see, I knew she was too big for this town. Maybe it was for the best that she sent me into a coma. Because of that she ran, she got out of a town that had only two options for her: Be a barfly or get pregnant and then married right out of high school. She’s better than that.

It’s been nine years since that kiss and today I saw her.

I was laid off from my job and I’ve been doing odd jobs around town. I had finished one of those jobs early and came home to find Missy, my wife, sitting in front of the television, rubbing her pregnant belly, our second girl. As soon as she seen me, she waved me over and told me to watch.

“What happened?” When I walked over to sit next to her, I see on the TV what looks like a war going on, except it looks like it’s going on right here in Mississippi.

“It’s the FoH bastards. They getting what been coming to ‘em, a good old fashion ass whooping.” I laughed a little, then sat back and watched the events happen live. On the screen leather clad mutants were giving a good thrashing to those less than human animals. After reading the headline I found out the mutants were none other than the X-Men.

Now ya have to be living under a rock to not know who the X-Men men were but I’d never seen ‘em before, only heard of ‘em.

One of ‘em looked like a big ol’ blue ape and he was beating up three of ‘em at once. Some guy with glasses on kept shooting red lasers out of his eyes, blowing up cars and buildings and such. Another looked like he was ‘round my age and I think he was freezing things. There was a girl who was walking through walls and a beautiful black lady who was flying. And every time this redhead was near things or people they would just sort of float up or stop midair. And this big hairy guy with funny hair, but I doubt anyone laughed at it ‘cuz he had three long metal claws coming outta each hand, was doing some serious damage.

That’s when I saw her.

Marie.

Wearing tight black leather. Looking beautiful. Perfect.

I recognized her but she looked different. Two white stripes in her hair. Taller. Curvier. She carried herself differently. She wasn’t a girl anymore, she was a woman.

I knew she was too big for this town. Too good. Too pure. She was strong enough. She survived and I was happy for her.

Then I saw her backing up, a smirk on her face as she played with the bastards, like it was a game. Then she bumped into big hairy guy’s back. They turned and she smiled. That damn smile of hers. He wrapped his hand, with the claws out, around her neck and kissed her. Hard and quick before they pulled back and turned. He shoved his claws in someone and she seriously kicked some guys ass in like two seconds flat. When their guys were both down (for good), they looked at each other, she winked and I could see his lip twitch in what could have been a smile.

She got under his skin, I could tell. She had that ability. To have ya love her the moment you met her.

The news cut away to the ape guy again, and I leaned back, thinking about her. She was happy. Fighting for her kind. I could tell she had friends by the way she kept close to the girl who walked through walls, sorta protecting her. And she was in love. I’m not a smart man, didn’t finish my schooling but I know love and those two are in love.

God I miss her.

After the fight finished (the X-Men did whoop ass) I got up and walked to the garage, my space. I took the CD out of the bag and put it in the little player I have in here. The sound of a guitar filled up the garage, ‘Turn it up’ ‘Woo’ ‘Woo’. It’s her song.

A second later my daughter comes in and tugs my leg.

“What, baby?”

“You like this song, dontcha daddy?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?” Too many answers. Because it makes me feel like I was seventeen again. Because it reminds me of a time when ya stole ya daddy’s beer and drank to have fun instead of to forget, of a time when I had nothing to do but to hang with my friends and drive my car. Because it reminded me of my life before the hatred of mutants tore it up. Because it reminds me of a girl who sang off-key and swung her hips to the music, with that damn smile on her face. A girl I loved.

“It reminds me of someone.” It was a safe answer. It reminded me of her and of who I used to be.




All Summer Long by Kid Rock

It was 1989 my thoughts were short my hair was long
Caught somewhere between a boy and man,
She was 17 and she was far from in-between
It was summer-time in Northern Michigan

Splashing through the sand-bar, talking by the camp fire,
It's the simple things in life like when and where
We didn't have no internet but man I never will forget
The way the moon light shined upon her hair

And, we were trying different things we were smoking funny things
Making love out by the lake to our favorite song
Sipping whisky out the bottle not thinking bout tomorrow
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long

Catching walleye from the dock watching the waves roll off the rocks
She'll forever hold a spot inside my soul
We blister in the sun we couldn't wait for night to come
To hit that sand and play some rock and roll

While, we were trying different things we were smoking funny things
Making love out by the lake to our favorite song
Sipping whisky out the bottle not thinking bout tomorrow
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long

Now nothing seems as strange as when the leaves begin to change
Or how we thought those days would never end
Sometimes I hear that song and I start to sing along
And think, Man I'd love to see that girl again

And, we were trying different things we were smoking funny things
Making love out by the lake to our favorite song
Sipping whisky out the bottle not thinking bout tomorrow
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long

We were trying different things we were smoking funny things
Making love out by the lake to our favorite song
Sipping whisky out the bottle not thinking bout tomorrow
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long