“Things just keep getting better and better,” Jubilee voiced as the surrounding X-Men observed the unconscious thief.

Logan was quiet as he finished tightening the ropes around Remy to the large tree in the middle of the camp.

Standing off to the side with her arms crossed Rogue was trying to ignore the fact that Mystique was glaring at her.

“So this man just attacked you out of nowhere?” Storm asked in concern.

Logan grunted as he stood up.

“Wow,” Bobby whistled as he leaned in and spotted the bruises forming on the thief’s face and his spilt lip.

“You really did a number on him, Wolverine.”

“I hardly touched him,” Logan replied and eyed Rogue who suddenly had to pretend all eyes weren’t on her.

“Oh...” Bobby muttered and stepped back.

“Who is he?” Storm asked.

“He works for Graydon,” Mystique spoke up. “He is an employee of his, a hired hand.”

Storm frowned at the other woman. “If you think that’s answer enough, you are wrong Mystique.”

“He’s a thief,” Rogue spoke up. “His name is Remy LeBeau and he’s also known as Gambit. He has the ability to kinetically charge objects and...” she trailed off as she eyed Remy. “He has a sort of charm, so I’d be careful in falling for everything he says.”

Kitty snorted. “That sounds familiar,” she mumbled under her breath. Rogue heard her but pretended not to notice even as she spotted Jubilee shooting Kitty a glare.

“And why is he after you, Rogue?” Logan voiced darkly, his tone more controlled then before. He was still angry with her and Remy it appeared hadn’t helped but she was confused why he should care so much about that particular matter.

“After me?” she voiced in confusion. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

If it was possible Logan’s glare went up a degree or two.

“He knows you and he found us here.”

“We may have left out one particular detail,” Mystique interfered, her eyes telling Rogue to keep quiet as much as possible.

“Like what?” Storm asked fiercely.

“Graydon knows we’re coming for him,” she replied. “He doesn’t know when and he doesn’t know how many, he just knows that his information was leaked and that I was a known associate in retrieving that information. “

“And you didn’t think that would be helpful before?” Logan snarled.

Mystique continued as though he hadn’t just spat in her face. “Remy and Rogue do know each other previously but nothing to do with this current situation,” she paused to add more slowly. “More of a personal connection if you will. It just turned out to be helpful for Graydon that Remy is a thief with many connections.”

Logan was suddenly beside her as Rogue felt him slip past. Narrowing his eyes at her as he walked past he whispered only low enough for her to hear. “If he’s a thief, Rogue, what is he here to steal?”

She didn’t answer him and he continued to pace in front of the thief. It was her turn to glare across at Mystique; things were becoming way too problematic.

“What are we going to do with him?” Bobby spoke up.

Logan crouched down in front of Remy and started to slap his cheeks lightly.

“Time to wake up, Cajun.”

Remy moaned but didn’t open his eyes.

“Now,” Logan demanded as he tapped him more sharply on the left cheek.

Remy’s red eyes opened and Rogue heard Jubilee gasp in surprise at them. They did have a habit of capturing one’s attention.

“Merde,” Remy mumbled.

“What are you doing here Remy LeBeau?” Storm commanded.

“Obtenir un peu d'air frais,” he mumbled again as he visually winced no doubt from a pounding headache. (Getting some fresh air.)

“That ain’t funny, LeBeau,” Logan growled in his face and Rogue smirked at the surprised look on Remy in that Logan knew French.

“You’re more of a cultured man, den you’d had dis thief believe, Wolverine,” Remy muttered with wider eyes.

“How do you know who I am?”

“Remy know all about you, X-Men,” he replied as he struggled against his ropes but found it was pointless. “In Remy’s line of work he need to be knowledgeable.”

“And what exactly is it that you do, Gambit?” Storm asked.

He smirked at her despite his bruises. “Many things, many, many things.”

Kitty suddenly stepped closer towards the thief.

“Kitty?” Pete asked in concern.

“What is it?” Bobby added.

Kitty frowned before stepping closer towards the light of the fire nearby.

“It’s just,” she started and trailed off as her frown became deeper. “I think I’ve seen him before.”

“What?” Jubilee voiced in surprise.

Rogue watched Remy closely as he smiled secretively.

“Can’t remember poor Remy petite fille?” he asked knowingly. “Remy be wounded,” he finished with a light laugh.

Pete laid a gentle hand on Kitty’s shoulder and pulled her back frowning at Remy’s tone.

Remy coughed suddenly. “Chere, you really did a number dis time.”

“It’s your own damn fault,” she replied.

He glanced down at his wrists and frowned. “You gunna owe Remy big time for dis,” he finished by nodding at his ruined bow stuff.

“Right...” she trailed off sarcastically.

She noticed everyone else was suddenly quiet as they watched her and Remy talk. Rolling her eyes she figured it was time to take charge.

“Remy,” she began as she stepped closer. “How did you find us in the middle of nowhere and why does Kitty think she’s seen you before?”

“Ah,” he leant his head back against the tree as far as the rope would allow and gave her a big smile. “Two questions but only one answer.”

“Spill, Cajun,” Logan growled as he hovered over Remy.

“Well since you asked so nicely, Wolverine.”

Logan’s claws started to peek out of his knuckle as he edged closer to their captive.

“Logan,” Storm called. “We need him talking.”

“For now,” Logan growled low and stepped back.

“All Remy can really say is dat da security is pretty lax at Xavier’s.”

“Gambit do get to the point?” Mystique voiced with obvious annoyance before any of the X-Men could.

“Graydon had his concerns dat Rogue might be joining you Mystique and since Remy didn’t know where Rogue was he tried many different possibilities. A few months ago Remy found himself at Xavier’s school and he pretended he was a possible recruited teacher to some of the kids. Da petite fille over dere probably saw Remy but dis thief know how to blend in well.”

He paused and licked his lips. “So Remy decides to charm some of the kids and tells them dat if da magnifique Rogue shows up he’d be interested to know cuz dey old friends.”

“I thought you were educating smarter children then that Storm,” Mystique spoke up.

Rogue felt the need to interrupt before Mystique agitated Storm any further.

“Stop it Raven,” she snapped and landed her gaze on Storm. “When I said he was charming, I meant literally he has the power of persuasion.”

“That’s all and well Rogue,” Mystique stressed. “But there’s still the fact that he was able to be on their grounds without knowing.”

“Can Remy get back to his story?” he interrupted with amusement.

“I think you’ve cleared it up for us,” Logan snapped.

Remy smirked. “Oui,” he paused to wince again. “All Remy had to do den when he found out Rogue had been to Xavier’s was to keep an eye on you X-Men and tracking da X-Jet wasn’t dat hard considering you stayed in the area.”

“Don’t be so hard on da kids,” he added. “Dey just thought Remy wanted to be a bona fide X-Men.”

“Cute,” Rogue smirked at him in irritation.

“Why are you working for a man like Graydon?” Storm asked in concern.

“Why does he do anything,” Rogue replied tersely. “For the money, ain’t that right Remy?”

He was quiet as she faced him. “The price for your soul is never too high.”

“Je suis désolé, je vous blesser,” he whispered. (I’m sorry I hurt you.)

“Vous ne pouvez pas me blesser plus quand je n'ai plus de soins,” she replied bluntly and walked away. (You can’t hurt me anymore when I no longer care.)

Remy bowed his head.

“Mystique a word,” Storm demanded.

Mystique silently followed Storm as they moved off into the distance.

“We each take shifts watching him,” Logan directed suddenly, his words clipped and short.

“Remy honoured,” he muttered but still hadn’t lifted his head.

“Pete and Kitty you’re on first watch,” Logan demanded as he walked away.

Remy suddenly lifted his head and focused on Bobby with amusement who eventually caught on and frowned at the attention.

“What?” he demanded.

“Nothing,” Remy replied but he laughed to himself.

Bobby became noticeably angry.

“What’s so funny?”

She thought about telling Bobby the best thing he could do was walk away and ignore Remy but she didn’t much care. She spotted Logan still hovering nearby but most of the shadows hid him.

“It’s just,” Remy began only to trail off laughing again. “Remy can’t believe you had a chance and you blew it with vanilla over dere,” he finished by nodding at Kitty.

“What?” Bobby voiced in confusion, his ice blue eyes clouding.

“You know what Remy be talking about,” he paused and directed his eyes at Rogue. She turned away not wanting to get caught up in his little game.

Bobby looked at her and realization dawned on his face but his frown quickly turned into a glare at the laughing thief.

“Don’t worry so much Iceman,” Remy seethed suddenly, his voice clear and hard. “Dere’s only a few men man enough for da Rogue.”

“You bastard!” Bobby yelled and lunged forward only to be stopped by Pete.

“Let it go,” Pete instructed and Bobby walked off in a huff.

“Remy already be making friends,” he laughed again but Jubilee turned and left ignoring him as well.

Pete and Kitty sat down a few feet away by the fire but Pete kept his eyes on Remy.

Rogue glanced around and saw that Logan had slipped off somewhere but she wasn’t so sure he wasn’t just watching and listening from a distance.

Waiting a few minutes, Rogue watched as everyone else appeared occupied. Eyeing the night around her she waited for any sign of Logan but realized if he didn’t want to be seen he couldn’t be.

Both Kitty and Pete were talking about something as well their heads bowed together.

Moving forward slowly, she crept in front of Remy and crouched down beside him as she pretended to make sure all the ropes were secure.

“Come to add some more wounds,” Remy whispered at her.

She glanced around once more before whispering back, “You attacked us, Remy.”

“Non, correction Remy attack da Wolverine and you got involved.”

“Same thing, Remy.”

“Is it?” he looked at her in surprise.

“Remy thought we were one in da same Rogue, only out for ourselves.”

She eyed him closely, willing somehow to understand the man before her.

“You don’t have to be doing this?”

He turned away from her and didn’t answer.

“Tell me one thing Remy, you owe me at least this,” she whispered lower.

He turned back towards her and waited. “Did you give your copy to Graydon already?”

“No answer will make you believe Remy.”

She sighed.

“Remy, just tell me the truth about this, this way...” she trailed off and leaned in suddenly desperate. “This way we all know what the stakes are.”

“And what about da X-Men?” he asked slowly. “Do dey know all da stakes?”

Rogue looked down briefly. “They wouldn’t understand.”

“Da Wolverine looked like he wanted to understand you Chere.”

She scowled at him. “You heard him, he didn’t believe....”

“Sometimes you make it hard to believe, Chere,” he paused to lick his lips. “So many lies dey hide da truths.”

“I do what I have to do, Remy,” she hissed through her teeth.

“Oui, we all do.”

Suddenly reaching in she grazed her hand over his trench coat. “Tell me Remy,” she implored him.

“Graydon doesn’t know dat Remy found one of the last copies already. Dis thief was planning on selling it to him for a higher price once Remy had da other one.”

She nodded slowly and kneeled back a bit.

“So tell Remy, Chere, so he know da stakes too, did you and da blue wonder find da third copy.”

She nodded slowly. “And you’re not getting it.”

He nodded in understanding. “Remy always knew you wouldn’t, he was going to have to take it.”

Abruptly she moved forward and rummaged through his pockets. He chuckled.

“Couldn’t wait to get your hands back on dis mutant could yah?”

“Rogue, what are you doing?” Pete asked suddenly as he stood up.

“I’m just making sure he doesn’t have any other weapons on him,” she called over her shoulder and tried at an honest smile.

Pete watched her for a moment but nodded and sat back down.

“Da steel giant is too trusting of you,” Remy whispered.

She scowled at him.

“You didn’t think dis thief was an amateur did yah?” he asked. “Da book ain’t here.”

She finally stood up as she realized he was right.

“There’s only three left in existence and you’d hand them over to that monster for a pay check,” she spat in disgust.

“Why do you care so much, Chere? Wasn’t it just fables, isn’t dat what you told Remy once. It was just useless rambling of a dead woman who Mystique was trying to get you to believe in so she could have you again.”

She didn’t answer him.

“What made you believe, Rogue?” he asked in awe.

She turned away and kept walking.

“Rogue?” he called after her but she ignored him.

She wasn’t exactly sure how to explain to anyone about what made her believe. But a large part of her reluctance to explain it even to herself was that she’d grown to feel that she didn’t have to explain herself to anyone. She was running around the world looking for the last three remainings diaries of a dead woman who’d somehow played a pivotal role in her younger life and perhaps her future.

The Books of Truth, Mystique had called them. The fate of the world written down by a blind mutant named Destiny who Rogue recalled calling Irene when she’d been younger.

So here she was a mutant known for her lying and her deceiving searching the world for the truth. It was almost poetic, if it wasn’t so pathetic.