After putting on some of Jean's clothes and a pair of gloves I had found beside my bed, I made my way across the room to the second bed that was standing in the Med Lab. Under a white sheet much like mine, Logan was sleeping.

He looked exhausted and I realized I had probably come very close to killing him this time. Closer than ever before.

In my head, his voice told me that he was stronger than that, that he didn't die so easily.
I knew better, and so did he, but it was no use to argue with my inner Logan.

I sat down on Logan's bed and took his hand in mine, drawing little circles with my gloved thumb.

“I'm sorry,” I whispered, not sure whether he could hear me or not. “I'm sorry for hurting you...and for worrying you...and you really shouldn't have done that, you know...”

With a low grunt, Logan's eyes slowly opened.

“Damn, kid,” he groaned, his voice cracking. “You scared me.”

“Yeah...sorry 'bout that too...”

Logan motioned with his free hand for me to lean down and I complied, resting my head on his bare chest. He wrapped one arm around me and sighed into my hair.

“I thought I'd lost you.”

Before I could reply, something went very wrong.

He took a breath, his chest rising a tiny bit, and his skin touched my cheek.

I jumped up with a shriek and backed away from him, my heart pounding. He was still so weak, a single touch my not only send him back into coma but also kill him right now...but strangely, Logan seemed fine.

“What happened?” I asked, confused. 'What didn't happen' was more like it.

“I don't know...wanna try that again?”

“No!” I almost shouted. It was to dangerous for him right now, I wasn't going to take any chances.

My inner Logan was telling me to shut up and stop being a wuss, and I tried to ignore him, but he was stronger. Without any control over my legs, I walked back to the bed and mechanically pulled off my glove.

Logan sat up and reached for me, carefully taking my hand into his.

Nothing happened.

“It's your skin...” he whispered and I could almost see the pieces of the puzzle that was my current condition fall into place in his head. “It didn't work when I tried to heal you before...because it was all burnt...”

“...and it's technically your skin that grew back, and not mine, because I used your power to heal it,” I finished his sentence. It kind of made sense, in a very confusing way.

“That means every part of your skin that had burns on...it is now touchable,” he summed up, amazement in his eyes.

“I guess.” I shrugged. I couldn't really be happy about that fact, because I was still dealing with some issues of my own.
Like the fact that I was alive.

“Rogue...what happened, kid?” Logan asked.

“I...Jean told you, didn't she? There was a fire and...I jumped out the window.” I stared at the floor because I knew that my face would give away that I was lying.

Logan's voice in my head made unhappy growling sounds, telling me he could smell lies anyway.

“Where the hell did the fire come from?”

“I...I don't know, okay? I don't know...and I don't...wanna talk about it.”

I turned around to leave. I couldn't face Logan right now. He knew me too well, he would know there was something I wasn't telling him and when he found out, it would all be even worse than it was now.

He never should have come back to save me. Scott shouldn't have called him. They just should have let me die in peace, like I had wanted to.

“Thanks for saving me,” I muttered half-heartedly.

“Don't go,” Logan yelled after me, but didn't do anything to stop me from walking out the door.

Inside my head, he was screaming as well, telling my I was stubborn and stupid for not talking to him and that he knew there was something wrong. That he would help me and comfort me and do everything it took to make me feel better.

Every kind word he was trying to get through to me hurt a little more and I started running, pushing myself forward until I was outside in the gardens, my blood rushing through my veins and my weak body so busy with keeping my legs moving that I didn't have any energy left to think or listen to the voices inside my head.
Chapter End Notes:
congratulations on finding completely-illogical-way-to-make-Rogue's-skin-touchable # 23597 ... ;)
it's not really relevant to the story, it just sort of happened while I was writing.
the next chapter will have some explanations and stuff.
review and i'll adore you forever =P