Story Notes:
I actually feel a little awkward about posting this, because it's more personal than what I usually write...but I kind of feel like I should get it out there. I don't know...
uhm...there was a very tragic suicide attempt last week, in my town...someone from my school...and I kind of needed to deal with it, so I just sat down last night and started writing and this is the result.
kind of dark, as you can imagine.
the plot might not really make sense in some points and the ending will probably seem sort of rushed eventually, but for me, it wasn't really about coming up with a structured plot or a logical story...life isn't always that logical either. so...I'll just stop rambling and let you get to the story now.
I woke up to bright lights, white walls and a mechanical beeping sound. Every single part of my body was hurting like hell and I felt a burning and itching sensation all over my skin.

But most of all, I felt panic.
I was scared of losing something...or somebody...I literally had to force myself to breathe because my body was frozen in shock.

With huge effort, I managed to lift my head and take in my surroundings. I felt dizzy and confused, but quickly realized I was in the Med Lab, lying on a hospital bed and hooked up to several machines.

The all-consuming panic was making my hands shake now and I clutched the thin white sheet I was wrapped up in.

I closed my eyes and pictures started flashing through my head.

Through someone else's eyes, I saw myself, on this very bed, only I hardly recognized my face. It was red and my skin was peeling; all over my body.
Despair shot through my body and the person whose eyes I was seeing through had to look away, it was too painful to see me like this. I felt their body drop to their knees and tears running down their face.


I opened my eyes with a gasp and pushed myself up into a seating position.
The memory wasn't mine and neither were those emotions. It was all a big blur in my head and I had to concentrate very hard to get past all the panic and fear and sort through the images and pieces of information in my head.

Pushing my hair out of my sweaty face, I tried to calm down enough to make out what the hell was going on in my head. I forced my mind to dig a little deeper and explore the earlier memories.

I saw a lake and a chain of mountains; everything was covered in snow. My body felt strong and I could smell and hear everything...

...Logan. It was him in my head, these were his memories.

I felt my tense body relax a little. I had gotten used to his voice in my head over the time, so at least I didn't have to deal with yet another new person up in my brain.

I dove back into his memories, picking up where I had left off.

Logan felt something buzz in his pocket and took out a tiny silver cell phone.

“Hello?”

“Logan, you have to come back to the school now,” he heard Scott's breathless voice. “It's Rogue, she's dying, you have to heal her.”

That's the moment the panic began. I had no idea that Logan could even feel so helpless and desperate about anything at all, but apparently he could. He was shaking as he hung up the phone without waiting for an explanation, ran to his bike and jumped on it, not even bothering to take his bags with him.


My head was spinning and I quickly skipped forward through the hour-long ride back to the Mansion.

Logan bolted through the front door and was greeted by a pale and anxious Jean who led him to the Med Lab, quickly telling him what had happened.
He didn't really listen but I caught something about a fire in my room and me jumping out the window to escape it. Nobody knew what exactly had happened or what had caused the fire and my injuries were so severe that I would die if Logan didn't heal me. He was their last resort and they were very sorry that they had to ask him to do this because they knew it was dangerous.

Logan simply nodded and followed Jean down to the Lab. That's where he saw my body; both my legs were twisted in an unnatural angle and my arms were dangling from the edge of the bed lifelessly. My body was burnt all over, red and crumbled.

He rushed to my side, tears forming in his eyes and burning his cheeks. He dropped to his knees beside the bed and grabbed my hand with his.

I could feel despair rushing over him, it was stronger than ever before and every part of him was longing for the pulling sensation to start, hoping it would work.

But it didn't.

“Jeannie, it's not working. Her skin...it's...Jeannie, do something, damn it!” he screamed and Jean instinctively took a step back, scared, unable to reply.

“Take her shoes off,” Scott ordered, his mind working a little more clearly than Logan's at the moment and was suddenly at his side, pulling off my left shoe and sock. “The skin isn't burned there.”

A wave of relief and new hope washed over Logan as he placed his hand on the unharmed skin of my foot, wrapping his fingers around my ankle. The pull started almost instantly and his body was shaking and bucking in uneabrable pain for about a minute until he blacked out.



He had saved me. I looked at my skin, running my fingertips up and down my arms. It was still slightly pink and sore, but all my burns were gone.

I carefully rose from the bed, testing my legs. They had already healed enough to allow me to stand and even walk on them.

So he had saved me. I was going to live.

And that was the worst thing that could possibly happen to me.