Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for the Reviews!! Please keep them coming!!!

The next couple of days were filled with Marie tagging along with Logan to his combat classes and enjoying the cool afternoons outside. She noticed how he was always around whenever she was roaming through the mansion or reading leisurely in the library. The other inhabitants in the mansion still didn’t talk to her but the teasing and sneers were down to a minimum.

For the most part Logan kept within eye distance not really bothering her but there were times when they would have a laid back conversation. Marie liked those times the most. She was beginning to enjoy his company the more they spent with each other. She was even beginning to control the urge to flinch when he would brush against her by accident.

“Logan, the professor would like a word with you…and you too.”

Marie and Logan were sitting under the oak tree, in the backyard, when Jean came to tell them that the professor was looking for them. The look in Jean’s eyes as she looked at Marie did not go unnoticed by either of them. Jean looked as though she could spit in Marie’s face and get a kick out of it.

They stood up and started to make their way towards the professor’s office. Marie noticed how Logan positioned himself between her and Jean. She wasn’t really sure if he did it on purpose or without thinking, but she was grateful. She didn’t want to be anywhere near the red head.

Reaching Xavier’s door, they heard him quietly call them into the room. Entering, she was impressed by the size of his office. It didn’t surprise her much that it was so spacious. After being in this mansion for a week, she was getting used to the extravagance that was Xavier’s school for the gifted youngsters.

“Hello Logan, Rogue…please have a seat,” he said gesturing to the two chairs in front of his mahogany desk.

Marie smiled politely at the professor while Logan only grunted. She felt like giggling every time he grunted.

“Marie, I want to apologize to you for having to leave for a few days. I know that you wanted to start on learning to control your skin. Some of my business ventures were not going as I had wanted them to so I had to go handle the problem.” Marie waved her hand dismissively and talk him that it was perfectly fine.

“That is good to hear. Now, for the reasons I have brought you in here. Rogue, if I understand correctly, you never finished high school is that right?” She shook her heard yes to confirm that he was correct. “Rogue I want to give you a chance to finish your high school education. You had about three months left yes?”

“That’s correct professor,” Marie said shyly. She was a little embarrassed that she had not finished high school. She was at the age where she should have been in college by now.

“Well then we will start with your classes as soon as possible,” he said smiling.

A feeling of dread came over Marie. The thought of being in a classroom filled with students and teachers that hated her wasn’t her idea of an education. “Um…professor…I don’t think my presence will be welcomed…by anyone.”

She saw Logan tense beside her and wondered what she had said to make him mad. Xavier’s loud sigh brought her attention back to him. “I thought by now that my students would have accepted you Rogue. I am sorry that it seems they still have a problem,” he said sadly.

“Yeah well it would help a little if they saw the adults acting more respectful.” Logan said harshly. Xavier nodded once in agreement as he spoke, “I will have to remedy that and soon.”

“Rogue, I know that you were trained by Eric but I was wondering if you would allow us to train you in our combat ways.” Marie remembered the class that Logan taught and sank a little in her seat. All of the mutants in the class had great powers for that kind of training. They were very useful in a fight and Marie didn’t really know how her powers would be that useful.

“I…I don’t know Professor. I don’t really see how my powers can be used in any kind of fight. When I would go on missions with the brotherhood, I would really just stand there. I was used only to get information, not for any kind of fighting.”

It was Logan’s turn to speak up. “There is more to fighting than just usin’ your powers kid. I can show ya how to fight with what the good Lord gave ya. Once you get the basics down, then we can start on usin’ your powers.”

“You…you would be teaching me?” Marie said in a scared voice.

Logan looked at her with real concern. “Hey kid what’s wrong?”

Marie didn’t answer him at first, but just sat staring at the burly man beside her. “Rogue?” she heard the professor call. Finding her voice, Marie spoke just above a whisper, “Are you…gonna throw me around like you did…the others?”

She jumped a little at the bellowing laugh that came from Logan. Marie was a little annoyed that he found her fears so funny. “Naw darlin that was just a way to show those punks they had better lay off of ya.”

“Do I even want to know what you two are talking about?” Xavier groaned. Both Marie and Logan shook their heads no. “Very well. Rogue I realize you came to us with a limited supply of clothing so I have taken the liberty to order a closet full of clothing and accessories for you. Anything that you do not want or if there is something you need that I did not order please don’t hesitate to let me know,” he said with a soft smile.

Marie was shocked. She could not believe that this man had just spent thousands of dollars on her. Eric would have never done such a thing. This kind hearted man had taken her in and was continuing to take care of her. “Thank you,” she whispered teary eyed. “I don’t know how I will be able to repay you.”

“That is not necessary Rogue. You are a part of my family now and I take care of my family.”

They continued to talk about different things. Xavier had decided to start her control classes on the following Monday. Marie was very grateful for hearing that. A weekend was not too long to wait. The thought of being able to touch someone was something she thought she would never have in her grasp. She still didn’t know if she could achieve it but at least she had a chance to find out now.

After leaving Xavier’s office, Marie found her way to her bedroom. She stretched out on top of her bed and before she knew it she was asleep. Her dreams were filled with black leather, mutton chops and claws.

She woke with a start and sat up on the bed. Noticing the darkness outside her bedroom window, Marie looked at the clock; it was 7:30 p.m… She had slept for four hours. Standing groggily to her feet, Marie walked out into the hall. The mansion was completely quiet.

Making her way down to the first floor she noticed Logan heading towards the front door. He was wearing tight black jeans, a black button up shirt with a white shirt underneath and his leather jacket. “Hey,” she called out to him. He stopped just short of the door and turned towards her. “Hey kid.”

Marie was beginning not to really care for that nickname. She didn’t like the idea of him thinking she was a kid. That thought got squashed as quickly as Marie thought of it. What did it matter what he thought of her? He stood there staring at her for a minute as if trying to make his mind up about something.

“It’s quite around here tonight,” she said to break the silence. She watched him nod his head. “It’s Friday night. Most everyone takes this night to get away. I was headed out for a little bit. You…you’re welcome to come if ya want.” Marie noticed how nervous he looked as he invited her to go with him and it made her sad. Maybe her being around him so much was starting to wear thin. “No that’s okay. I’m sure you want some time without me being around,” she said trying to smile.

He walked a few steps towards her before speaking. “That’s not it darlin, I’m just not sure you want to see the place I’m going to.” She was caught off guard by his statement. “Where are you going?” she asked curiously.

“Just a bar in Brooklyn. It’s not a very nice bar and I don’t think you’d like it very much.” No she wouldn’t like it. Bar equaled people in close proximity to one another, something she was not ready for yet. She smiled at him to confirm his statement. “Have fun Logan.” She turned to go back up the stairs but he stopped her. “I could stay here if ya want. I’ve been to that bar enough times I’ve lost count.” She couldn’t help the butterflies that found their way to her stomach. He was willing to be bored as hell at the mansion with her than to go to the place which she could tell he really wanted to go to.

“No…no Logan, you go ahead. I’ll be fine. I’m probably going to turn in early anyway.”

She watched the uncertainty in his eyes. “Go on,” she said more forcefully.

“I won’t be gone long. Most everyone is out so you won’t be bothered tonight,” he said making his way back to the door. Marie smiled and waved a goodbye.

She watched the door long after Logan had left. Without him around she started to feel alone. The silence that surrounded her was as thick as smoke. She started to walk around the mansion, touching the huge columns and beautiful paintings on the walls.

Making her way into the rec room, Marie walked to the pool table. She started playing with the balls, bouncing them off the sides of the table. “The untouchable girl alone on a Friday night,” she said out loud. Walking towards the couch, she picked up the remote and scanned the many channels. West Side Story, one of her favorite movies, was on and she settled in to watch it.

A couple of hours later, as the credits rolled on the movie, Marie heard laughter coming through the front door. She felt herself stiffen as she looked around for a place to hide because she didn’t want to be caught down here. There was no where to go as the three guys stepped into the room switching the lights on. The laughter died down as they took in a scared looking Marie.

“Well…well…well…what do we have here?” the blond guy asked his comrades.

“Remy sees da girl all alone Bobby,” the dark haired guy answered his friend.

“Don’t you mean vampire?” Marie recognized the other guys as being the one that threw fire from his hands.

Slowly getting to her feet, Marie proceeded to walk past the three guys towards the hall. The one they called Bobby stepped in front of her path, halting her movements. Marie stared at the floor, not daring to make eye contact with them. “Where are you going?” he asked. Her first thought was to take her gloves off and fight her way through, but something told her that she didn’t want these bastards in her head. She felt the three guys surrounding her. The smell of alcohol came from their breaths as they taunted Marie.

“Remy really didn’t like da beating he got because of you.” Marie saw him take a step closer to her and she tensed. She really didn’t know what to expect from them. Surly they would not try to rape her…she was the untouchable girl and all. Alcohol made you do crazy things though. She started walking backwards as she watched Remy advance. Suddenly she ran into someone’s chest and turned to see the flame throwing guy smiling drunkenly at her.

“You know, I always enjoy a challenge,” he said as he grabbed her and threw her against the pool table. The impact took the breath out of Marie. She tried to scream but nothing seemed to come out. The three men surrounded her, each being brave enough to grab her arms. Marie fought against them but they were too strong.

“Please stop,” she whispered frantically. All of her pleading did nothing to stop the men from advancing.

The next moments flew by so fast Marie almost missed it. She heard a loud roar from the entrance to the rec room and looked over to see Logan charging towards her and the men. She heard all three of them gasp as Logan raised his fists and made contact with Remy and Bobby’s faces. They went flying over the side of the pool table in a heap on the floor. With her arms loose, Marie fell to the floor. Flame thrower guy stood staring wide eyed at Logan as he grabbed him, slamming him into the nearest wall. Marie jumped at the sound his head made as it made contact with the wall. She watched horrified as the claws on Logan’s hand came in to view. Marie wanted to look away but she couldn’t.

Logan raised his hand and brought it forward to run it into flame thrower’s stomach, but was stopped in mid air.

“What is the meaning of this!” came the professor’s booming voice.

Marie looked over at the door to see a very irate Xavier wheeling in. Jean followed in behind him, concentrating on where Logan was standing.

Logan looked over at Jean as he spoke, “Jeannie, you better fuckin’ let me go now!” he growled. She did not respond but concentrated harder. Marie was starting to put two and two together and realized what the good doctor’s powers were. She watched as Xavier wheeled himself over to her and held his hand out for her to take.

“Logan, if you would be so kind as to put those claws away and release John.” Xavier said, still looking at Marie. “Fat chance in hell wheels,” Logan said through clenched teeth.

“What in the hell…Logan?” Everyone turned to see Scott coming into the room. Marie now noticed that they had a huge audience in the hall watching the events in the rec room unfold. Scott stopped in his tracks as he saw Marie on the floor.

“Scott, would you please take Remy, Bobby and John into my office and do not let them move a muscle until I get there.” Xavier was barely able to contain his rage as he spoke to the leader of the X-Men.

Marie heard the sound of Logan’s claws retracting as he threw John towards Scott. The three men were escorted out of the room by a very confused Scott while Xavier, Jean, Logan and Marie remained.

“Children, I think it is past your bedtimes,” Xavier said to the crowd outside the rec room. Marie could hear the anger still in the man’s voice. Everyone started to turn and walk back to their rooms upstairs so as not to feel Xavier’s wrath come down on their heads. The room was eerily silent as Marie slowly got to her feet. She noticed tears falling from her face and hadn’t the slightest clue when she had started crying. Anger was the first thing that she felt. She had told herself that she wouldn’t cry in front of these people and here she was crying like a baby.

“Rogue?” she heard Xavier’s gentle voice call.

Marie turned away from the man. Looking up to where she had turned, she came face to face with Logan. His anger was not yet under control. He stood rigid and tense boring his eyes into her. “Tell me you’re okay.” he whispered. She wasn’t really sure if she was okay or not. Physically she was fine but mentally she was spent. He reached for her arm and she flinched away from him. She hated to see the hurt look in his eyes but at that moment no one needed to touch her. Her anger was beginning to boil over as she stood in the silence of the room.

“Rogue, I am so sorry…” the professor began. Marie cut his sentence off by holding her hand up for him to stop. “Sorry…you’re sorry Xavier? Three of your students tried to attack me and you’re sorry?” she said between sobs. “This place is no better than Eric’s.”

“Excuse me!” Jean said angrily. “We have taken you in and put a roof over your head and you have the audacity to insult us?” She took a step towards Marie but stopped in her tracks as she saw Logan turn his furious stare in her direction.

“There wasn’t a damn insult in what she just said. The sad part is that it’s the truth.” Logan said. Jean looked at him shocked, “Logan?” she said confused.

“This is getting out of hand. Jean, please go to bed. Logan and Rogue wait for me here. I will be back once I deal with John, Bobby and Remy.” The professor said tiredly.

“Don’t worry about it Xavier, I’m out of here,” Marie said walking to the door of the rec room.

“Rogue please don’t leave.” She could hear Xavier wheeling around to stop her. She couldn’t see beyond the pain and the tears. Even Logan couldn’t stop her from going this time. There was no amount of promise to control her skin that would make her want to live in this hell. Marie was to her breaking point with these people. She could hear someone climbing up the stairs behind her but didn’t look back to see who it was.

“Rogue you cannot leave. Eric is looking for you,” Xavier called from the foot of the stairs.

“Fine by me since that is where I’m going,” Marie said angrily.

“Please Rogue you can’t do that. Listen to me; you have to stay here with us. I will fix everything I promise you.”

Xavier’s pleas stopped her short. She stood there for a few seconds before turning towards where the professor sat. Marie could now tell that it was Logan that had followed her up the stairs. He too was looking in the direction of the professor.

“And why do you care Xavier? I mean nothing to you. I am not a member of your family as you so eloquently put it earlier. I am going back to where I belong,” she sobbed.

Marie watched as fear covered the professor’s features. It was only a whisper, yet Marie heard it as plain as day.

“Rogue, Eric wants to kill you.”