The first thing that struck Marie, as she came to, was the feeling that she couldn’t move her arms and legs. Groaning loudly, she moved her head to the side and waited for her eyes to focus. The room was too bright and her instincts told her to shut her eyes again. Fear took over as she lay on the hard, cold surface of what she thought passed for a bed in this place. Marie knew in an instant that she was in a lab. It was no hospital or healthcare facility though. Her breathing sped up and she tried everything to pull her hands and legs free of the restraints holding her down.

“That won’t do anything but make the restraints tighter.”

Marie froze at the sound of a woman’s voice coming from behind her. The voice did not sound too friendly. Why did those stupid excuses for teammates leave her to fend for herself?

‘We were supposed to be a family’, she thought. They were supposed to be someone she could rely on. Now, she found herself in the hands of the enemy and she was scared to death.

“Please let me go,” Marie said hoarsely.

There was no answer and she wondered if the woman had left the room. Suddenly, a beautiful woman came into view with a large needle in her hand. Marie shrank back as far as she could, trying anything and everything to get away from the ugly looking needle. Looking up into the face of the woman before her, Marie saw the gleam in her eyes. ‘Was she really enjoying terrorizing me‘?

“Hold still,” she said, grabbing my arm.

Marie sucked in a breath as the woman’s gloved hands pulled her shirt up and the needles pierced her arm. Closing her eyes, Marie prayed that this was all a dream and that she would wake up in her lonely, isolated room. The blinding pain lasted only a minute and then the needle was gone. Marie felt the woman let go of her arm and walk back behind her.

Moments later, the door to the lab room opened and Marie looked to see a man in a wheelchair come rolling towards her. Behind him was the man with the ruby lens glasses and her heart started to pound faster. She could still feel the throbbing pain in her chest, where he hit her with whatever it was that came from his eyes. The man in the wheelchair stopped a few feet away from Marie and a soft smile grew on his face. For just a moment she relaxed at the sight of the smile.

“Hello. My name is Charles Xavier and welcome to my home for the gifted. It seems that we have not met on the best of circumstances.”

Charles Xavier, she knew that name. Eric had talked about him several times over the past couple of months. They had a history, starting out as best friends but turning to sworn enemies. Both had a different goal in mind for mutants and humans, one wanting them to co-exist and the other wanted to dominate the species that wasn’t mutants.

“What is your name,” she heard him ask.

“Rogue,” Marie whispered.

He smiled a sad smile at the name she gave him. Marie felt that he understood she wasn’t going to give him her real name. She didn’t feel comfortable sharing that bit of information with these strangers.

“Rogue, I want you to stay with us for now, let us show you that there is a way to live peacefully in this world. There is another way besides what Eric has shown you.”

Looking away from the pity in his eyes, Marie stared at the straps holding her extremities down. The next comment from Xavier’s mouth had her turning her attention back towards him.

“Give me a chance to help you control your skin Rogue.”

The thought of being able to control her curse had tears blinding her vision. She had longed for the day when she was able to do such a thing. Was it possible that this man could help her to achieve that which she thought was out of her reach.

“Can you do that,” she asked in a small voice.

She watched as he reached and undid the straps around her legs and did the same for her hands.

“I will do everything I can to try”.

Marie slowly sat up and looked at the people around her. The woman that had poked her with a needle looked as though she were ready to explode. What was her problem anyway? Looking at the man with the weird glasses, she noticed he didn’t look happy either. Why would they? All they knew was that she was their enemy and this man had just invited her to stay with them.

“Okay,” she whispered.

Xavier smiled broadly and turned towards the woman as he spoke, “Jean would you show Rogue to the spare room on the second floor please”.

“Charles this is crazy. She is one of the brotherhood and you are just going to let her walk around so close to the children. She is dangerous.”

The anger coming off of Jean made Marie flinch. She was dangerous, she couldn’t deny that, but she would never hurt innocent children….especially ones like herself.

“Jean, please do as I asked. I believe there is more to Rogue’s story than what’s on the surface,” Xavier said calmly.

Jean blew out a breath and proceeded to walk towards the door, only turning around to glare at Rogue. “Are you coming or not,” she asked angered.

Marie really didn’t want to be alone with this woman but she had no choice but to follow. Getting to her wobbly legs, Marie caught herself on the edge of the bed. She waited till she was steady and walked towards the angered woman.

Walking throughout the huge mansion, Marie was in awe of such luxury. It was a totally different world from Eric’s cave home. She walked as close as she could to the wall to stay out of the path of the running children. The atmosphere of this place was one of lively laughter. For the first time since leaving home, Marie actually thought she could call this place home someday.

She was quickly brought out of her thoughts as she ran straight into Jean. The woman jumped back and started cursing at Marie.

“Oh God, I’m so sorry. I wasn’t watching where I was going. I didn’t mean to run into you,” she said apologetically.

“Listen to me carefully Rogue. I think Charles is making a huge mistake letting you stay here. The first chance you get, you will stab us all in the back and hang us to dry with Eric. I swear to you if I see you do anything to harm anyone in this house I will burn you alive, understand me?”

The warm feelings that Marie was having a minute ago vanished with the harsh words that Jean spoke. It only reminded her of how she also didn’t fit in this place. Was there no where that she could call home? Would her entire life consist of people that hate and feared her….even her own kind? She looked away from the redhead woman in shame. Was it her fault that she didn’t know this place existed before Eric got to her?

“I understand,” she said in defeat.

This woman made her feel inferior and that made Marie feel even worse than she already did. Jean opened the door in front of her and walked away without another word. Marie walked in and looked around at her new room. It was pretty big compared to what she was used to. It had only one bed, which meant that it was a single bedroom and she was very thankful for that. The thought of sharing a room with someone really didn’t sit well with her. Walking over to her bed, she fell down on top of the covers and for the first time since her journey began almost two years ago, Marie cried herself to sleep.

There was a pounding on her door and Marie woke with a start. Jumping to her feet, she looked around frantically, trying to remember where she was. The pounding continued as it all sunk in for her. She relaxed a bit and looked at the clock on the end table which read 7:00 p.m… Stumbling towards the door she opened it half way. The light from the hall made Marie squint her eyes. There standing in front of her was the white haired woman that controlled the skies. She was taken aback by the woman’s beauty even as the frown shown on her dark face.

“I have come to let you know it is time for dinner child. Everyone meets down in the dining room at this time so you better get going.”

Marie could tell that the woman was not happy with her being here, yet she wasn’t as angered and hurtful as Jean was. She imagined that she wouldn’t get a lot of welcomes tonight. That thought made her stomach turn and for a moment she thought about skipping dinner. If it wasn’t for the fact that she was starving, Marie would have gladly went back to sleep. Opening the door wider, she stepped out into the hall. She tried not to flinch as she watched the white haired goddess jump back away from her. Marie turned her face away so she wouldn’t be able to see how much that hurt her.

Walking, in silence, to the dinning room, Marie could hear the many voices coming from the room before her. She started to get real nervous and stopped a moment to calm herself. When she felt she had control again, she walked through the double doors and watched as every person in the room turned towards her. There was not a sound to be heard as the residents of Xavier’s school for the gifted took in the sight of her. Marie stood there at their mercy as she noticed all of the sneers and all of the fear in the students and teachers faces. Snapping out of her fear, Marie walked over and grabbed a tray. She heard one of the kids at a table, closest to her, yell out freak and the dining room exploded in laughter. Marie flinched at the remark.

“John that is enough! Take your food to your room now,” she heard Xavier’s booming voice say over the laughter. At his angered words, the dining room once again became silent. Marie wanted to turn around and thank him but she was ashamed of the tears that were in her eyes. Grabbing the first thing she came to, which was a Greek Salad, she walked to one of the tables. She tried to sit down but was stopped by a blond haired boy putting his leg in the chair.

“This seat is saved…..sorry,” he said sneering. She recognized him as one of the people at the lab that night. Looking at the table, she noticed that all of them were there that night. Sitting just a couple of seats down from her was the Asian girl she had tried to touch. Guilt lay it’s ugly hand upon her as she turned away from the group of people. Every table she passed, the children would cover the empty seats so she couldn’t sit down. Before she knew it, she was out of the dining room and headed towards the back yard. Before she was out of hearing distance, she caught the saddened, angry voice of Xavier.

Opening the back door, Marie stepped out into the cool air. She found a small table beside a flower garden. Sitting down, she removed her gloves. She didn’t really know how long she sat their eating while tears flowed freely down her face. Before she knew it, her body was assaulted with heavy sobs as her food was forgotten.

“Rogue.” She looked up to see Xavier coming towards her. “I’m so sorry that you had to go through that. I….thought I had taught my students to be better than that,” he said sadly.

“I never thought I would say this, but I don’t think that learning to control my skin is worth living like this,” she said through her sobs. “I think I’ll go back to Eric.”

“No! Don’t say that Rogue. It will get better I promise. With time they will see that you are no threat to them.”

He spoke with such conviction that it made Marie want to believe him. She felt that she could learn to love this place. This man seemed to genuinely want to help her. Before she could speak, the sound of a motorcycle roared in front of the mansion. She watched Xavier look in the direction of the sound with a far off look on his face. He smiled a small smile and looked back at Marie.

“Looks like you won’t be the only visitor we have tonight.”

Marie wondered who he was talking about. Were there people that came and stayed here for just a little while and then went on their way? “Rogue, please think about what I said. I don’t want you to go anywhere. I have so much to teach you and if you will give it a little time it will get better.”

She looked into the caring eyes of this man and nodded her head in agreement. It was the least she could do for him after he had treated her nicely. She watched him turn and wheel himself back into the mansion. Looking at where Xavier was going, Marie noticed a man standing there waiting on him. Even from where she was sitting, she felt her breath still at the sight of him. Dressed in blue jeans, a flannel shirt and leather jacket stood the most beautiful man that she had ever seen. His hair was sticking up in ever direction with mutton chops to add to his gruff exterior. She could tell, even under all of the clothing, that he had a chiseled body. Finally letting the breath, that she had been holding, out she looked away. What was she thinking? She was the girl with poisonous skin. No man would ever want to be with her. They would run in terror before getting close to her. Looking back inside the mansion, Xavier and the mystery man was nowhere to be seen.

Sighing heavily, Marie gathered her things and went back inside. The dining room was completely empty as she threw her garbage away. She opened up the refrigerated and grabbed some bottled water. Sitting at one of the empty tables, Marie drank the cold tasting liquid as fast as she could. She dare not be caught down here by herself. As she took the last of the water in her mouth, the voice that called out from the dining room door almost had her spitting in out in fright.

“Aren’t you supposed to be in bed?”

Looking over at the voice’s owner, she was shocked to see the mystery man looking at her. He was even more handsome up close. He was nursing a beer in one hand and an unlit cigar in the other. She couldn’t find her voice to answer him so she sat and gawked. Grunting, he turned around and headed outside. Marie couldn’t explain what made her stand up and start to follow him but she did. Coming to the back door, she hesitated, not sure if he would mind her company. He really didn’t ask her to follow him.

“You just gonna’ stand there, or are you gonna’ join me,” he asked not looking at her.

Marie wasn’t really sure what she wanted to do yet. It confused her a little that he would actually ask her to join him seeing as everyone else did the total opposite, but something told her he wasn’t like the rest of them. Slowly, she made her way towards the table where he stood. Taking a seat, she looked quickly at his back. The smoke, from his cigar, was floating lazily through the darkened night. After what seemed like hours, he finally turned to look at her. She felt her heart start to quicken as his dark eyes took her in. She wanted to squirm under his intense gaze but sat firmly in her seat. The light of the moon caught something reflecting around his neck. Looking more closely, she saw dog tags. The name on them confused her a bit…..Wolverine.

“So what’s your story,” he asked.

Looking back to his face, she thought for a moment what to tell him. It seemed the truth about her scared everyone and for reasons unknown to her, the thought of this man being scared of her made her sad. Instead of answering him she shrugged her shoulders and looked away.

“Listen kid, we all got shit in the closet. Whatever it is that has happened give it up. All it’s gonna’ do is eat at ya and make you an old ass hole like me.”

Before she knew it, she was laughing. She couldn’t stop it from bubbling out of her. It had been so long since she had laughed this hard. Seems Xavier took it upon himself to let this man in on what was going on with her. The fact that he wasn’t running or sneering was a good sign. She took a deep breath to get herself under control. A part of her didn’t want to stop laughing, because there was no telling when she would be able to experience that again. Looking at this man in front of her, she noticed the small smile playing on his lips.

“Thank you,” she whispered. He didn’t say a word to her, just nodded his head.

They sat for a while in comfortable silence. She watched him as he smoked his cigars and looked away quickly every time he would look in her direction. She felt like a giddy school girl being this close to him, yet she couldn’t make herself get up and leave. Even without saying a word, she felt comfortable for the first time since being here.

“Why were you sitting out here during dinner?” She was caught off guard by his question. Did he really notice her back then? Looking at anything but him, she answered him in a small voice.

“The dining room was too crowded. There weren’t any chairs available,” she said bitterly.

She hated that she sounded so pitiful but reliving earlier events made her want to cry all over again. He grunted a reply and she smiled a small smile at the sound.

“I know what you mean by crowded.” He did not elaborate on that statement, and Marie didn’t push it. She thought she understood him perfectly. “Are you gonna’ give me a name, or do you enjoy being called kid?”

“Rogue,” came her simple reply. He nodded his head in understanding and took a swig of his beer. She was so tired and couldn’t help the heaviness that fell upon her eyes. She felt her eyes close and slowly let her head fall to the table. Before she could get good and asleep, she felt a hand lightly shake her shoulder. The first thing that registered to her brain was that someone was touching her. Fear took her over immediately and she jumped back. Before she could stop herself, she fell to the ground and scooted as far back from the man as possible. Her mind kept playing the feeling of his hand on her shoulder and it made her fear for his safety. Maybe he really didn’t know all there was to know about the Rogue……like don’t touch her or you could die.

“Hey….hey I’m sorry Rogue,” he said standing with his hands in the air.

She tried to calm her rapid breathing and closed her eyes to get herself under control. Slowly embarrassment replaced the fear. Not only would he be afraid of her, but now he would think she was crazy. Marie watched in fascination as the man came around the table and held his hand out to her. She stared at his huge hand extended before her as if she had never seen such a thing before. No one had chosen to touch her on purpose since her skin kicked on. Here this man was only inches from death and he acted as though he didn’t give a damn.

Slowly she put her gloved hand in his and felt him pull her to her feet. They stood there for a moment staring at one another. Electricity, that is the only way to explain it, ran through Marie as she took in the man in front of her. What she wouldn’t give to have someone like him in her life, to hold her and comfort her. That dream died a long time ago. As she thought that, it broke the spell between them and Marie looked away sadly.

Walking towards the door, she heard him ask her a question. “So what kind of a name is Rogue?” Stopping in her tracks, she again smiled a wide smile into the darkness. He really wasn’t afraid of her. Slowly, Marie turned towards him and watched him for a moment. “I don’t know. What kind of a name is Wolverine?”

She watched him take a puff of smoke and let it out. Looking at her, he smirked. “My name is Logan.”

“Marie.” She said the name without thinking. It caught her off guard at how easy it was to tell this complete stranger her true name.

“Goodnight Marie,” he said in a low voice.

She couldn’t find her voice to speak. It was wrapped up in more emotions than she could count. To hear another person saying her real name was overwhelming. It had not been said since before the incident with Cody.

“Good night Logan,” she whispered.

Turning around, she walked back inside before he could see the tears start flowing down her face.

Chapter End Notes:
More Logan/Marie getting to know each other to come!!!