Logan tossed the alternator on the work bench in the garage and headed to the kitchen for a cup of joe before a Danger Room session. When he got there Gambit was settled at the kitchen table, reading the newspaper with one hand and idly shuffling his ever-present deck of card with his other. Logan poured himself a cup, took a big slug, then choked and spat it into the sink.

“What the hell is this shit?!”

Gambit didn’t bother to lower the paper to respond, “Es chicory mon ami. We out of regular coffee so Gambit make dat. Drink all the time in Nawlins.”

“Tastes like mulch from Ro’s flower bed.”

“Gambit tink you not man enough for dat drink.”

“Whatever Gumbo. It just tastes like ass.” Remy shrugged and turned back to the paper, starting on the crossword. Kitty rolled in, juggling a few textbooks.

“Oh thank god, I need some coffee before working on this assignment,” she sighed and grabbed a mug from the cupboard. Logan didn’t bother to warn her about the manure tasting concoction and just waited with anticipation for the look of disgust he was sure was coming.

She sniffed it then turned to Gambit. “Chicory? I haven’t had this in forever.” Kitty then took a hearty swig. He was sadly disappointed she didn’t instantly vomit and even more so when she shrugged. “It’s a little weak Remy.”

Gambit nodded towards Logan. “De Wolverine tink it too strong.” Kitty rolled her eyes at Logan, as though sorely disappointed in him, balanced her mug on her books and left the kitchen. Curious as to what exactly he was missing with this foul stuff, Logan sniffed it again. Catching the amused look on Gambit’s face, Logan scowled and took another drink and struggled valiantly to keep a nonplussed look on his face while the vile stuff roiled its way down his throat and settled in his gut like a steamy pile of crap.

While he was trying to muscle through another mouthful Scott walked into the kitchen and reached for a mug from the shelf. Logan definitely wasn’t going to warn Cyke about the crap in the coffee pot, especially if he was the only one who couldn’t tolerate the stuff. Scott inspected his mug before turning to the sink to rinse it out. “Anal right down to your coffee cup” Logan snorted internally. His annoyance at Scott turned to delight when the fearless leader turned on the tap and instead of water coming out of the faucet it shot out the dish sprayer next to it, soaking his shirt.

Logan practically cried with laughter at the look on Scott’s face as he limply plucked his drenched shirt away from his chest. The look on Cyclops face was one of intense aggravation and it wasn’t helped by Logan’s jibe that now his swim goggles were appropriate attire. Scott brought on hand to his eyes and appeared seriously tempted to rip his eyewear off and blast Logan through the French doors to the patio. Gambit quietly slipped out the side door to the hallway while Logan and Scott traded insults and watched from the shadows under the stairs as Alpha team’s leader stalked out of the kitchen towards the teacher’s wing to change. From the sounds behind the now closed kitchen door, Logan had apparently turned on the TV to watch the news and a crinkling sound indicted he’d taken up the discarded newspaper. Gambit muttered into his sleeve mic to Bobby that his careful rigging of the sink sprayer with Krazy Glue had taken down Scott’s already bad mood another notch. Rogue sounded quietly in Gambit’s ear, asking for confirmation of someone having a drink.

“Oui chere,” he whispered again, keeping one eye on the kitchen door. “De Wolfman still trying to finish his cup. Kitty did good work.”

A whispered thanks from Shadowcat sounded and was followed by, “What did you put in it exactly?”

Gambit eyed the door again, keeping one ear alert to the sound of Logan on the other side. “Lawn clippings, mulch, and dat manure what was spread yesterday on de rose bushes.”

A gagging sound came through the earpiece. “Thank god I didn’t actgually put that in my mouth!” The distinct sounds of Iceman and Pyro chuckling over the comm from their positions near the greenhouses made Gambit smile. His grin widened a mile when he heard the sound of a coffee mug shattering on the floor and Logan cursing. Apparently the big man in his distraction had forgotten to watch out when he tried to rinse his cup out in the sink. Gambit slipped quickly away, muttering an addendum to his report up his sleeve.
Chapter End Notes:
Heh heh.