Story Notes:
Written for the prompt "Breakfast" over at Fanfic100 on Livejournal. This is just a little thing but I thought I'd share :)
Remembering things has never been Logan's strong suit, but he's fairly sure he spends too much time watching her.

She's pretty, Rogue, but he's always thought that, even when he shouldn't have—-when she was a scared young kid sitting at the bar in Laughlin City, wrapped in that coat of hers, trying hard to look everywhere and nowhere at once. There has always been something delicate yet tough about her—a vulnerability in her large dark eyes, belied by the simple fact she could very literally kill you with just her little finger.

Logan has a healthy respect for Rogue's powers. He's not afraid of pain, not anymore, not for a long time now. So maybe the only thing that makes him wary are things that can go beneath pain, beneath his healing factor, and kill him. Like Rogue. So he tells himself that is what he is doing when he watches her. Not that he thinks she'll hurt him, just because it's part of him, instinctive.

At breakfast he notices the way she is careful not to touch anyone as she passes things, even though she always has her hands covered. The way she holds her coffee between her hands, concentrating, looking as if she wishes she could feel the heat of the mug through her gloves.

It's because of how dangerous she is that he watches her. That's what he tells himself, and he almost believes it.

At night, when he's standing outside her door with heated eyes and a desperate hunger...that is because he likes danger. That's the only reason he goes to her, climbs into bed with her and all her deadly skin, runs his claws over her body and watches the way she arches up and lets herself go. He likes the way she makes his heart race, the noises she makes, the way she says his name in a breathless voice that spills like honey from her lips. Her hands clutch at his shoulders, just like she does with her coffee in the morning, and he likes the way the leather feels on his skin.

He doesn't know what it is, though, that makes him stay the night with her, his body wrapped tight around hers. Whatever it is that makes him wake up when she shifts, just to make sure her skin won't touch him, just to make sure she's safe. Logan is sure there's a simple answer, simpler even than respect or danger or anything else, but he's not quite sure he's ready to know what it is yet.