“We didn’t really plan to get married,” Rogue said slowly, trying to stay as close to the truth as possible. “It’s just kind of come to that point.”

“Nuh-uh,” Jubilee said. She shook her head emphatically, her ponytail slapping her cheeks. “Marriage doesn’t just come about on its own.”

Smiling wryly, Rogue said, “With us it did.”

“But that’s not normal!”

“And what part of my relationship with Logan has ever been normal, Jubilee?”

“I…you have a point,” Jubilee said, deflated.

“Rogue,” Storm said gently, “what I don’t understand is how it got to this point so suddenly. I know that you and Logan have never flaunted your relationship, and that has led to some confusion as to its exact nature, but still…this is incredibly unexpected. And I think, more than anything, Jubilee and I - and the others as well, once they learn about the wedding - just want to know that you’re making the right decision. That you aren’t rushing into anything.”

“Just because it’s unexpected doesn’t mean Logan and I haven’t thought it to death, Storm,” Rogue said earnestly.

“Hold on,” Jubilee butted in. “Just a few days ago you were calling me and saying you weren’t attracted to Logan. What the hell’s going on there?”

Rogue blushed fiercely. “As you saw for yourself when you got here, that isn’t a problem anymore.”

“Huh.” Jubilee exchanged a skeptical glance with Storm. They knew there was more Rogue wasn’t telling them. “And?”

“And what?”

Exasperated, Jubilee began arcing blue current across her fingertips. She waggled her fingers and the electricity followed suit, weaving intricate patterns in the air. Holding her hand out, she said, “Don’t make me zap you, Roguey.”

“I honestly don’t know what you want me to say!” Rogue protested. “Logan and I are getting married. We want to have kids, and we’ve thought everything through, I swear. I don’t understand why you need to know anything else.” She winced internally at her defensive tone.

“Do you love him?” Jubilee asked, her voice serious and her eyes steady on Rogue’s.

Rogue felt her jaw go slack in surprise. “Of course I love him,” she said matter of factly. “I’ve loved Logan for years, and I’ll love him for the rest of my life. He’s my best friend.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Jubilee said impatiently. “We all know how dedicated you and the Wolverine are to each other. Almost to the exclusion of forming any lasting relationships with anybody else. But that’s not the same as being in love.”

Tapping her teeth for a moment with a fingernail, Rogue mulled over the idea. She had expressed the same concern to Logan just the night before.

“I don’t think that matters,” she said slowly, realizing in that moment how completely right Logan had been. Raising a hand to forestall Jubilee’s immediate objection, Rogue continued in a quiet voice. “I thought of that too, Jubes. And I talked to Logan about it.”

Rogue ignored Jubilee’s indignantly squawked, “You what?”

“And he agrees with me.” Rogue’s voice was louder now, firm. “It’s not important how we love each other, just that we do. And how do you measure love anyway? I know I want him to be happy. I know that when he hurts, I hurt. I miss him when he’s not here. He’s the first one I want to talk to when something’s wrong, and he’s the first one I want to share it with when something goes right. I can see myself with him twenty years from now. Fifty years from now. And I know that I would die for him to keep him safe. I would kill for him to keep him safe.” Feeling an odd sense of shame at the last admission, Rogue dropped her eyes. She knew without being told that Logan felt the same for her. That he would - and had - killed to keep her safe. She had never thought to ask him if he felt any guilt over that. She had only been concerned with her own feelings of humbled gratitude. Lacking any further words to explain her feelings, she finally mumbled to her lap, “Those are all ways of loving to me.”

The continued silence in the kitchen made Rogue curious enough to raise her head.

Jubilee stared at her with an odd mix of confusion and awe. Storm’s countenance was quietly introspective.

“So you love him,” Jubilee said at last. “But are you sure he feels the same way about you?”

“Of course,” Rogue said with honest surprise. “He wouldn’t have suggested getting married otherwise.”

“I…wait. Logan is the one who said, ‘Hey, let’s get married’?”

Amused that Jubilee had assumed the wedding had been her idea, Rogue said with a smile, “I believe his exact words were, ‘So we’ll get married.’”

“And that’s a good enough confession of love for you to agree to this crazy idea?” Jubilee hissed.

“Yes,” Rogue stated defiantly.

“What the hell’s wrong with you, chica?” Jubilee shouted. “This is the Wolverine we’re talking about. He has some sudden whim to get married and you’re all for it? This is gonna come crashing down around you and he won’t stick around long enough to find out if you’ll survive it.”

Angry now, Rogue stepped into Jubilee’s space, ignoring the threatening sparks dripping from her fingertips. She felt a vicious sense of satisfaction when Jubilee hastily damped the current.

“I don’t know what your problem is, Jubes,” she gritted from between clenched teeth. “The first thing you should get firmly in your mind is that Logan isn’t going anywhere. I would think that after ten years of taking care of the school and the students, you should realize he’s here to stay. So, that concern is taken care of. I’m telling you that this is something Logan and I want, and we’re both adults who are fully capable of making our own decisions and dealing with whatever consequences they may have.”

“Fine! Maybe he will stick around. Just don’t think that I’m gonna listen to you crying your heart out when it all goes to shit!”

Sudden, hot anger swept over Rogue in waves.

“You know what?” Rogue jabbed Jubilee in the shoulder with her finger. “You’re royally pissing me off!” she shouted in her face. “I love Logan and he loves me and if that’s not good enough for you, you can shove your sparky little fingers up your ass!”

Shocked by the outburst from a woman she had always thought of as meek and non-confrontational, Jubilee’s mouth worked soundlessly. Storm spoke at that moment, making it seem eerily as if Jubilee were speaking in the older woman’s voice.

“Logan,” Storm said.

“Logan?” Rogue echoed, looking over Jubilee’s shoulder to the kitchen door. He had a strange look on his face. “Uh…hi,” Rogue said, stepping back from Jubilee and offering him a weak wave.

He continued to stand there, his right forearm braced against the doorframe, supporting his weight in a stance that suggested he had been there for some time.

“Uh…” Rogue tried again, “are you angry?”

Logan shook his head silently and took a step into the kitchen. Rogue backed up instinctively. His lips quirking in a quick smile, Logan stepped around Jubilee, who remained rooted to her spot in continued shock, and approached Rogue where she stood leaning back against the granite topped island.

The muscles in Rogue’s torso twitched in surprise when Logan slid his warm hands onto either side of her waist. He tugged her gently forward until their hips bumped together. Dropping his forehead onto hers, he said in a rough voice, “I do love you, kid. Probably more than I can ever explain. I love you in all the ways you said, and more. And I can promise you that I’ll never give you a reason to regret marrying me.” On the last whispered word, Logan touched his mouth to hers in a tender kiss. There was no pressure, no sense of urgency in his lips, just a comforting warmth and softness that invited Rogue to lean into him in contentment. Logan broke the kiss by wrapping his arms around her back and pulling her up into a tight hug, resting his cheek against her hair. Rogue slid her hands up Logan’s back and clasped her fingers on his shoulders. They sighed together, and for just a moment it was as though they were alone in the room as all the potential problems and worries of the future disappeared.