Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey, ya'll. Sorry for the long absence; I've been packing and getting ready to move and haven't had much free time. I'm afraid the updates will continue to be slow over the next few weeks as I get settled in at the new place.
Almost as if it were orchestrated, Logan and Rogue ended up pulling into the parking lot just as Estelle was stepping from her modest Audi. Logan saw her squinting a bit against the glare reflecting from the Bentley’s windows as he cut the engine.

When he opened his door, all Estelle did was raise a single perfectly arched brow.

Rogue’s face appeared over the roof of the car. “Hi, Estelle!” she said happily.

Estelle returned the greeting with a nod and a little wave and looked back and forth at Rogue and Logan.

“Uh,” Rogue started, her bright tone noticeably dimmed, “too early?”

“A bit,” Estelle said dryly. “The store doesn’t open until 9.”

“Uh, well,” Rogue said, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt as she came around the hood, “we, uh, kinda wanted to, uh, run into Stanley this morning.”

Her somewhat stern expression melting into a gentle smile of understanding, Estelle tipped her head toward the parking lot entrance. “Looks like you’ll get what you came for then.”

Turning to look, Logan and Rogue saw a gleaming black BMW gliding almost silently into the lot. As the car pulled into the space to the right of the Bentley, Logan could see Stanley staring at him, his jaw slack.

Feeling a grim satisfaction as Stanley stepped from his vehicle, Logan greeted politely, “Good morning, Stanley.”

“Uh.” The young man swallowed hard, casting a fleeting, panicked look toward Estelle who pretended not to notice. Swallowing again, Stanley returned the greeting and then said to Estelle, “You did say 8 am, didn’t you, ma’am?”

“Yes, Stanley,” Estelle confirmed. “Logan and Marie are just here to finish up some business from yesterday.”

“Before business hours, ma’am?”

With a stern look, Estelle said, “We’ve done it before, Stanley, for some of our more…helpful customers.”

Stanley gulped audibly as his eyes appeared to bulge. He looked over the Bentley quickly and then gave Logan another once-over like he had yesterday. As he took in the beat up jacket and scuffed boots, the obviously aged jeans and Logan’s unruly hair, his brow furrowed in confusion.

“They were…helpful yesterday, ma’am?” he asked faintly.

“Indeed,” Estelle returned calmly. With a quick wink at Logan, she continued, “Best commission I’ve made this quarter.”

Stanley gulped again, looking a little ill. As he opened his mouth to reply, Logan cut him off.

“Yeah, we’re hoping to get you another nice commission, Estelle.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, about that matter we discussed yesterday. We’d like to go ahead and get a wedding band for me in titanium. Marie and I worked out exactly how thin it needs to be.” Logan nodded at Rogue, who handed a small, clear plastic bag to Estelle. Inside was the dull shine of the makeshift aluminum foil ring.

“That’s the right size there, too,” Rogue added, stepping back to stand beside Logan.

Estelle chuckled a bit when she saw what it was she was holding. With a shrug she said, “Okay. I’ll put the order in first thing this morning. The bands can probably be ready in about four weeks.”

Glancing at Stanley from the corner of his eye, Logan asked, “Any chance we can put a rush on this one, too?”

Looking only slightly surprised, Estelle said, “Yes, of course we could do that. But it’s going to cost you triple the rush fee for the resizing of the engagement ring, since this one will be custom made.”

Nodding, Logan said, “That’s fine.”

“Why rush it, though, Logan? You said the wedding’s in six weeks, so you’d still have the ring in time.”

“Just want to make sure it’s done right,” he returned. “And if it’s not, then we’ll still have some time to fix it.”

“True enough,” Estelle said with another shrug. “Would you like to come in now and take care of this?”

“Nah, I can see you’re busy,” Logan replied, nodding toward Stanley. “You still have my credit info, right? Go ahead and run it through.”

Estelle shook her head. “That won’t be necessary, Logan. We’ll allow you to pay for the wedding bands when they come in.”

As Logan and Rogue exchanged a confused look, neither of them missed the equally confused expression on Stanley’s face.

“Ma’am,” Stanley protested, “that courtesy is only offered to loyal customers who have been with us for years.”

Shooting him a stern look, Estelle returned, “No, Stanley, those are the only people to whom you are allowed to extend that courtesy. As the manager, I may extend it to whomever I wish provided their credit is good.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Stanley muttered, glowering at Logan and Rogue.

“That will be all, Stanley. Why don’t you get the merchandise from the safe and start placing the trays in the cases?” Estelle dangled her key ring on the tip of her right index finger and extended her hand to Stanley.

“Yes, ma’am,” he muttered again, snatching the keys and shuffling toward the store.

Waiting until the door had closed behind Stanley, Logan lifted an eyebrow. “That going to cause you any problems?”

Estelle shrugged. “He’ll probably quit within a few weeks. He’s been nothing but trouble since he got transferred here four months ago.”

“I don’t want to sound mean, but couldn’t you fire him?” Rogue asked.

Making a sour face, Estelle shook her head. “He’s the owner’s nephew. Kid’s been transferred from branch to branch because nobody wants to risk firing him. And as much as I hate to admit it, I’m no different. If he doesn’t quit on his own, I’ll suggest another transfer. We have enough customer complaints on record to warrant that at least.”

“Seems to me he’s bad for the company’s name and image,” Logan put in. “Why doesn’t the owner let him go?”

“Stanley’s his last living relative apparently.”

“So the kid’s going to inherit the business?” Logan’s tone was rife with disbelief.

Estelle shook her head. “Nope. Owner’s not fond of Stanley at all. Just feels obligated to keep him employed. Of course, this is all hearsay.”

“I doubt anybody’s fond of that little worm,” Rogue huffed and looked immediately embarrassed. Holding her hand over her mouth, her cheeks turning red, she elbowed Logan sharply in the ribs when he chuckled.

“Hey!” he protested.

Estelle laughed. “You two are like kids together,” she said, shaking her head.

“I apologize for our behavior and my comment just now,” Rogue said politely, her face still red.

The other woman flapped her hand in dismissal. “No apology needed. Now get out of here, you two. I have work to do,” Estelle finished with a grin.

Logan and Rogue smiled in turn and climbed back into the car. Estelle stood in the parking lot and watched them go, tipping her head back and laughing appreciatively when Logan revved the engine and peeled out onto the highway.