Could you tell us a little about yourself as a way of introduction (i.e. where you live, hobbies, interests, etc.)?

My name is MoJo. I'm in my mid-thirties. I live in the midwest--St. Louis, Missouri. Hobbies and interests include yoga, pilates, coffee, art, music, television and fanfic of all sorts--of course! :-D

If you had to describe your writing to someone who had never read any of your stories, what would you say?

I'd say I write what's missing or I write pairings that people want to see and I try to write it 'in canon' as much as possible. What I consider to be my best work are stories that weave around actual episodes (or in the case of XMM--movies) and incorporate 'missing' scenes or getting two characters together based on what actually happened on screen. I try to write 'in character' as well so when someone is reading my story, they should (hopefully) be able to 'hear' the voices of the characters in their head. That's the type of writing I personally want to read so that's what I try to write.

What fandoms have you explored as a writer?

I've been all over--X-Files, JAG, West Wing, Buffy, Angel, XMM, Harry Potter and I even drabbled in House once. However, for personal reasons, XMM has always been a special fandom to me. I didn't write a lot of XMM fanfic but what I wrote was truly written from the heart.

What draws you to a particular fandom, character or couple? Is there anything in particular, or any common threads, that explain your fannish/fic devotion?

Oh, there is definitely a method to my madness. I'm always drawn to a couple who have obvious chemistry on screen but aren't 'together' yet. Most of my couples do eventually end up together on screen (ie--Mulder/Scully, Webb/Mac, Josh/Donna) but normally it doesn't happen until the end of a series and I just can't wait that long! :-D In real life, it's rare for anyone to wait years to be together when there is a strong attraction so I have them act on it instead of waiting for the show's writers to do it. In fandom, you can write literally hundreds of scenarios on how a couple gets together--something the show's writers, sadly, can't do. It's fun to explore all the possibilities.

What are your thoughts on why Logan and Rogue belong together?

I believe they belong together based on the amazing chemistry of the first movie. The way they were introduced, the instant bond they shared and how they took care of each other through it all did it for me. It was like they were both lost and searching for someone and then suddenly found them but it wasn't what either expected. Of course, there are a few complications like the age difference and Rogue's mutation but chemistry like that doesn't seem to mind little obstacles like that. In fact, all the complications make it worth it when they do get together in fanfic. It's a lot of overcome for both Logan and Rogue.

What stirs your imagination most in regards to story ideas?

Good question. The 'what ifs' scenarios stirs mine the most. I like putting the characters in situations we don't normally see them in and letting whatever happens...happen.

Do you have a routine for writing? If so, what does it consist of? (i.e. do you write during a certain time of day, listen to music, keep a writing journal, use beta readers, etc.)

My routine consists of finding a time where I am not distracted by anything else and can let the words just flow. Normally for that to happen, I have to have the story idea in my head and ready to go. I've often said my stories 'write themselves' because in a way, they do. I hear the characters in my head, the scenes play out and I write them down. If I have to struggle through a scene or dialogue, then I know it's not right or that it's not in character.

What is the kiss of death for you with regards to being able to write? What's the easiest way to break your mood?

The kiss of death is definitely not being able to hear the character in my head. If I can't hear them and/or describe what they are doing with little or no effort, then I know I'm not in character anymore. That is the mood-killer for me.

Like the movies, your “Crossroads” series is set in the wider ‘real world,’ rather than just the insular world of the X-mansion. What issues or themes did you want to explore with this set of stories?

I wanted to put Logan and Rogue back 'on the road' since that's where they met and had Sabertooth not interrupted their journey, who knows where they would've gone or how long they would've stayed together. I think they both needed to find each other and they do belong with Xavier but before they settle down there, they both need to find some answers out there in the 'real world,' too. Those are the questions I wanted to answer in my L/R stories.

Characterization can be very subjective. However, there are certain basic truths about characters that define who they are. Based on what we’ve seen in the films, what particular things stick out in your mind as essential to writing Logan and Rogue as unique characters?

Essential to me was keeping Rogue the age she is in the movies. She is young--and it appears she lead a pretty sheltered life down there in Meridian, Mississippi. She also struck me as shy and sweet and rather innocent when we first met her but her mutation and road trip through Canada changed her. I don't like seeing her ten years older or 'all grown up' in fanfic because she's more interesting to me the age she is. At seventeen/eighteen, she's almost an adult but she's not yet because of her experiences and her mutation, she's aged emotionally to where she and Logan could be equals.

Also essential was making sure Logan was Logan and having him 'fight' the attraction as much as possible. Logan is a fighter and I think he'd fight that as much as he could until his emotions would just give in. In all my stories, I have him recognizing and trying to rationalize his attraction for Rogue away but he can't. I also don't shy away from him being irrational or selfish and I keep the attraction for Jean there. I feel it's important to keep him conflicted emotionally but above all else, keep Logan the 'tough guy.' It's what makes him Logan.

Aside from Logan & Rogue, who is your favorite X-character and why? What about your least favorite?

Believe it or not, it would be Jean!

Least favorite is Juggernaut. He just annoys me.

What are your thoughts on Logan/Jean (as pushed in the movies) and how do you deal with it and/or the character of Jean in your stories?

In the movies, I think they had to do L/J because it was canon for long in the comic books. The attraction in the movies seemed very orchestrated and scripted because it was where the attraction between L/R was very natural. L/J was written in and L/R wasn't. That's the difference. The same thing happened on West Wing Season One. Josh/Mandy was written to be 'the' couple but there was just no chemistry but there was lots of chemistry between Josh/Donna and none of it was written in. It was just there like it is with L/R.

I know many L/R writers hate Jean but I write her as someone who is very analytical and would love to get inside Logan's head and watch him struggle with his attraction to Rogue because as a scientist, she finds it interesting. She finds him interesting and she is attracted to Logan but she's also very much in love with Scott. In a way, that puts her in the same situation. She sees Logan struggling with his attraction to Rogue the same way she's struggling with her attraction to him. I also write stories that focus around X1 and a little X2, so it's easier to write around L/J.

You have an interesting take on Rogue’s mutation—sort of a Catch-22—in the “Crossroads” series. Can you tell us about it and why you went in this direction?

I went in that direction because I feel her mutation makes Rogue who she is and I wanted both her and Logan to deal with it in the context of intimacy. Logan is the one who isn't afraid to touch her in the movies so I don't think he'd let it stop him from being with her if he really wants to be. However, I wanted to give Rogue some measure of control over her mutation but at a price. In my stories, she can hold it back but instead it pulls her own energy away in exchange. It's still there and she's still untouchable but it would make her touchable for a short amount of time if it's something she really wants. And of course, what she really wants is Logan.

The sex scene in “On Instinct” definitely wasn’t the perfect first-time experience that is so often depicted in stories when Logan & Rogue get together. Why? What were your thoughts on their relationship in this story?

Depends on your definition of perfect. I felt it was in character for Rogue to be nervous, scared and for it to be physically uncomfortable because more often than not, it is. It was her first time and she wouldn't know how her body would react. However, I also felt it was in character for her to have Logan's experiences in her head and have some expections of sex as well so she would know certain things she didn't before. I figured that would give her confidence and would make it a good first time because she wanted it and she wanted it to be with Logan. I also tried to make it clear there is a distinction between 'just sex' and 'love' for Logan. Even though he doesn't say 'love' - it's there because he feels something for her. I believe a first time scene can have sex that's not perfect but if it's done out of love, then that makes it perfect. Her first time was with someone she loved and who loved her. That's pretty perfect to me.

In general, do you find sex scenes more or less difficult to write than other types of scenes (action, introspection, etc.)?

I don't find them any more difficult to write because once again, it has to be in character and the scene has to flow naturally. It has to make sense for them to be having sex and both characters have to want it for whatever reasons.

I know you’ve collaborated with other authors on stories in other fandoms. How does the process work?

I love writing with my co-author, Jori. We normally have an idea and we both end up taking a character's POV and then one us starts writing! It makes it easy to write a story when you've literally got another voice to work with. She writes a section then hands it off to me and vice versa. It's great fun.

Do you write differently with a co-writer than you do alone? Is it easier or harder?

I think it makes it easier but I also think it makes me work harder as a writer because I want the parts I'm responsible for to be good because I owe to my co-writer. I don't want to write crap and then expect her to make it work. My part has to work and stand up on its own so she can take it and run with it.

Regrets” was written in an interesting POV. What were the advantages and/or disadvantages of writing the story this way?

I think the advantages of the 'you' POV are it makes it a very personal, a very intimate POV because Rogue is speaking solely to Logan in that story. I think it's hard because it's a different way of writing and one I'm not as familiar with so I didn't want to make it very long. I enjoy writing different POVs and figuring out the best one for each story. That one worked for 'Regrets.'

Do you usually/deliberately set a specific goal with each story of a series?

Normally, the specific goal is getting two characters together! Sometimes, they have to go through alot to get there and sometimes they don't. It's fun seeing where the characters end up and what it takes to get them together.

You started writing the “Crossroads” series shortly after X1. I know you had planned at least one more story (Good Intentions) in the series. What happened? Did the events of the sequel(s) dampen your inspiration or enthusiasm for writing the story?

Definitely. I truly felt that X2 dropped the L/R ball big time. It's not that I expected them to be together in the sequel because it was obviously going to be L/J focused but I wanted them to have that same close, almost intimate bond they had in X1. Logan nearly died for Rogue in X1. He promised to take care of her. There would have to be an emotional attachment there of some sort and it was barely there in X2 and I don't think there at all in X3. If you only have seen X3, then you'd have no idea there was anything between L/R at all and that isn't right, at least to me. It's a major continuity issue and I can't seem to get past it.

What happens to any unfinished stories (i.e. deleted, incorporated in futures stories, sent as plot bunnies to other authors, etc.)?

I keep them all safe and sound on my hard drive. I pull them out every now and then reread them and see if I still feel the same way about them and if the character's voice comes back to me. Sometimes I do finish them, if only just for me.

Of all the stories you've written, which did you enjoy working on the most and which was the most challenging to write?

The one I enjoyed the most, and am most proud of, was my West Wing opus 'Campaign Promises.' It's set entirely in canon during the first election and explains the attraction of Josh and Donna from the first few seasons. Instead of fanning a new flame, their attraction was the burning embers of a heated, firely passion they already shared. It took Jori and I a couple years to finish this story and it was hard at times to write but we did and I am extremely proud of it. I feel it is my best work and our best work as a writing team.

Some authors hang on every piece of feedback, whereas other authors profess to not even *want* feedback. How important is the support of the online community to you?

When I first started writing in the X-files fandom, it was extremely important to get feedback. It's no secret some fandoms can be really mean and I had an extremely bad experience in the West Wing fandom that I have yet to recover from. Now, I write just for me and if I post a story, I post it and I don't worry about the feedback. I'm just happy if I've written a good story that someone can read and enjoy again and again. That's good enough for me.

With the holiday season upon us, for what do you think Logan and Rogue would be (or should be) thankful?

I love this question! I think they'd be thankful for each other and not being alone anymore.

Do you plan on writing any X-Men fan fic in the future, or have you moved on to new fandoms, or retired from writing fan fic all together?

There are a few XMM stories on my hard drive I want to finish. I feel I owe it to myself and the characters to finish them. I haven't really moved on to anything else because nothing has captured my heart and my imagination lately.

Actually...I almost started writing Hodges/Angela fanfic from Bones (especially after The Girl with the Curl--someone had to fix that ending!) but then the writers went ahead and put them together a couple episodes later so I didn't have to!

What is the best advice you have ever received in regard to your writing? What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Best advice is to write for yourself and no one else and write from the heart. I would give that same advice to any aspiring writer.