Author's Chapter Notes:
“I think it’s this whole place, all these people. I’m starting to feel myself open up again, to care, I’m not ready for that, yet. I don’t want to be so damn vulnerable again.”
“You know, It’s kind of funny, how much we really do have in common,” She said with a sick little laugh.

“What do you mean?” Scott asked, leaning into the conversation.

“Well,” Rogue sat up quickly, brushing the tears from her eyes, “we’re both in love with two people who don’t love us back. We’re drawn to the people who are no good for us.”

“I don’t love Jean,” Scott replied, sitting straight again.

Rogue had hurt his feelings, as she had known she would. “Don’t belittle me with lies, Scott/ We both know that you still love her, always will. At least some part of you. She wouldn’t have been able to hurt you so badly. But you will be able to move on, live happily with someone else. Have little mutant babies. You’ll find someone good for you, but we never truly get over our first, do we?”

“And you? You won’t have that? Someone else that you can be happy with?”

“No.” She laughed again, and it was filled with so much sweet bitterness, so much contented sadness, he felt his stomach churn at the sound. “No, I’ll never really have that. I mean, I’m not naïve enough to believe that I’ll never find myself in love again, but it won’t last. Hell, I might even meet him tomorrow. But, he’ll grow old and he’ll die. And I’ll be alone again, only with more pain and misery for being too selfish to let my mystery man go before he wasted his life on someone who would never see him in eternity. And, to add salt to the wound, I won’t look anymore than thirty at the most.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

“I’ve got to leave, Charles,” she said quickly as she paced his office. She wasn’t sure why she was doing this, only knowing that it was what had to be done. “I can’t stay here. Not right now. I’m growing weak.”

“Do you know why that is?” Xavier asked quietly, his eyes following her back and forth, back and forth, just like a pendulum, ready to fall.

“I think it’s this whole place, all these people. I’m starting to feel myself open up again, to care, I’m not ready for that, yet. I don’t want to be so damn vulnerable again.” She sighed, looking out the window and over to land before her. There were children playing a game of touch football down there, and, for a split second, she could remember being so damn free. “I have to go.”

“But to where?” Xavier asked, as he wheeled himself to her side. “What will you do? Hide from the world? That’s not the answer, and you know that. What’s next?”

“I don’t know. All I know right now is that I don’t know anything. I just need sometime. To clear my head.”

“I understand, and I’ll help you as long as I can. You’re one of my children, now. You will not want for anything I can provide. When will you want to leave?”

“Tonight, after everyone is asleep. I just want to disappear.”

“Then I’ll have everything you need before then. I’ll help you vanish now, as long as you return when your ready.”

“Thank you, Charles.” She walked out of the office, and, for the first time in months, felt as if she was finally making the right decision for herself.
Chapter End Notes:
Very short and simple. I didn't like where the story was heading, so I thought I'd take it somewhere else. Feedback PLEASE!!!!!