Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is un-beta'd !! Sorry guys my Beta is out of action at the moment. I've read it a thousand times so I hope its okay, or at least readable.
Shaz.
13. Lost & Lonely – Scott

I have no idea why I didn’t think of this before. I know it looks weird, me sitting here in the dark, laptop casting a scary glow on my face while I complete my dastardly deed! Oh I crack myself up.

But joking aside Logan refuses to see the seriousness of this situation so I am just going to have to look into it myself. There, the security cameras from the Blackbird hanger. Now just rewind a few hours and yes, there she is. Zoom in, crop, cut & paste and bingo. One picture of our mysterious young guest.

Now all I have to do is…. “Scott, what are you doing sitting in the dark?”

“JEAN! Honey! You scared me.” She turns the light on in my office and walks towards me. Then raises an eyebrow as she looks over my shoulder at the computer screen.

“Is it wrong that part of me is disappointed you’re not watching porn?”

“Jean, come on…”

“No you come on, what are you planning to do, run a search on her, oh god you are aren’t you. Scott, if Logan trusts this girl then surely we should to.”

“Okay fine, he trusts her and I know he is rarely wrong, but, I have to know. I want to make sure that this woman isn’t a threat to us, all of us.” I swing the chair around and pull her into my lap. “We’ve got plans after all.”

She smiles. “I know. You really want to have a baby don’t you?”

“Of course I do. You, a baby, my life would be perfect, complete. But I have to say the baby plans are on temporary hold, they way things are it wouldn’t be right.” While Jubilee lies in a hospital bed, definitely wouldn’t feel right.

“Oh come on. The timing couldn’t be more perfect. I’ve done all the proper medical check ups, knocked up a quick ovulation chart on my laptop and the next three nights ‘mommy’ is well, for want of a better word, ripe.”

I have to smile at her persistence, she’s been planning this for almost a year now, well we both have. It’s all perfectly planned just waiting to be executed. Guess this is why I love her so much, she never gives up. “Not this time, you know I’m right. This opportunity isn’t going to be wasted, trust me, we just need to wait a little longer and it’ll be perfect I promise.”

She kisses my lips and gets up, swinging her perfect ass up onto my desk. “Fine, but hurry up, so we can go and practice for your big night.”

“This won’t take long you know how fast our computer system is, it rivals most military operations and all the major intelligence agencies.” She shifts on the end of my desk and leans over the computer and watches me finish cropping the photo.

Smiling at my lucky lucky life because I get to have two beautiful women, I upload my cropped photo to the database of known mutant we have access to. I also want to search through some other security networks, but a little hacking will be required.

Police checks come back first. “Clean, that’s strange. She was registered to an address in Meridian, then about three years ago her address changed to one in Dallas.”

Jean’s breath is next to my ear as she speaks. “Judging by the age of occupants, I would say it was her grandparents. Interpol?”

“It shows her passport being used to cross the Canadian border into Canada, but nothing since. Hey, seeing as you moaned at me for doing this you’re kinda into it.”

“What, a lady can be curious. I thought she was supposed to be a runaway. So how come she’s not been reported as missing? It seems very odd. Why would they register her Social Security with her grandparent’s address, when she’s not there?”

“Don’t know Jeannie, could be a scam. According to this she never finished high school or went onto any other form of further education. Let’s try something different. Newspapers. The Meridian Gazette. Oh the joys of Google. Here we are, achieves, yes, check the year and….well well well.”

I lean back in my chair as she reads from the article. “This one I think… ‘Cody Jackson, 17, was rushed to Meridian All Saints Hospital in what appeared to be a catatonic state. He was spending time with his girlfriend and her family when, it was reported that he had some kind of fit and lapsed into a coma….’ Blah blah blah, parents inconsolable, etc etc…oh this is interesting, ‘Mr D’Ancanto, formally a decorated military officer refused to comment on the young boy’s condition, stating that his family had been through enough. When asked if his daughter Marie (pictured below bottom left) wished to comment he slammed the door on reporters.’ ”

“And what do you know, school picture matches the one I have right here. So, she virtually killed some kid and got herself packed off to her grandparents. Then what, did she run from there?”

“She must have done. But still doesn’t explain why her parents never reported her missing. I wonder what conclusions the doctors came to on the boy or if he recovered.”

“Ever the Doctor. Okay, hospitals….here we are, ‘M’….Meridian All Saints Hospital…patient lists…. Jackson, C, Cody, admittance date…”

“I worry about how easily you hack into data protected websites.”

“It’s a gift.”

“Sign of a miss spent youth more like. Scott, stop, there. Oh….. ‘Long Term Care’, ICU dependant. He never recovered, poor kids still there.”

“And she’s here.”

In my peripheral vision I see her roll her eyes at me. “Run the father.”

“Yes ma’am. Private H R D’Ancanto…. he was in a band!” I have to laugh at that.

“But it said in the paper that he was a decorated military officer?”

“Or is that just what he wanted everyone else to think, or his wife. Could be a play the hero thing?”

“Or just keeping up appearances. Anything else?”

“No my love nothing, he spent an uneventful time in the army, got a an honorary discharged for long service and that’s just that. Nothing.”

“So, she is just a normal girl. Well besides the fact that she’s a runaway.”

“Technically she’s of age so, she can be where she wants. But I still don’t like it. It’s all too clean.”

She huffs and walks to the door. “Okay Sherlocke, I’m putting my foot down. Leave this for another time or at least until something crops up and….”

“Jean she is dangerous, don’t you see that?”

“Yes, I see it. I see perfectly what she is. She put Logan down with a kiss, one touch lasting less than sixty seconds and he was out of it. You don’t have to point it out Scott, I was there while he was fitting on the damn floor. Virtually all of his internal organs began shutting down to provide oxygen to his brain so he could survive, when she let go of him his healing factor kicked in, but it was slow. It took a full three hours to get his brain function to a good enough state where his organs could start to function again. If she had held on any longer I don’t think he would have woken up. Trust me, I see the danger.”

“But you’re willing to let it go!”

“Scott, you know what else I see, I see that maybe you want this to fail for Logan, he’s happy, she is actually good for him. Did you see the way he was looking at her, he actually cares about someone Scott. This is a good thing honey.”

I turn the laptop off and join her by the door. “It may be a good thing that he actually cares for someone, but when it all comes back to bite us and this school in the ass, I will have great pleasure in shouting I told you so.”

After shaking her head and chuckling slightly she takes my hand and kisses the palm. “How about we go upstairs and I’ll help you forget about all this for a little while?”

“I’ll meet you up there I want to check something downstairs first.”

She chuckles at me again. “Scott why don’t you just say that you want to check on Jubilee before we go to bed.” She kisses my check. “Your such a sweetie.”

“I’ll only be a minute.” We kiss and I watch her head upstairs to our room. Again its disappointing that no one else is taking this as seriously as I am. This could be a danger and why does nobody see it. I have a duty of care to this school and the students within it and I would be failing that duty if I didn’t keep a close eye on Logan’s little Marie.

****