Author's Chapter Notes:
Bete by Gidget. Thank you!!
10. Lost & Lonely – Marie

We were off the plane - jet - whatever the hell that thing is for less than, maybe three minutes and there was an argument. Some guy with funny red shades, Scott, I discovered quickly, marched into the hangar and just started to shout at Logan.

He shouted at Logan for bringing me along, how could he let a civilian on to a classified piece of machinery like the ‘Blackbird’(I concluded that’s what they called the plane) how could he not call beforehand and let them know that he was bringing someone, why wasn’t he aware that ‘Sabertooth’(pass on that one) was still alive? Who was this woman anyway ( i.e. me), how did he know that I wasn’t some kind of plant and apparently there is a whole host of other reasons about security and responsibility as to why I shouldn’t be there. The final thing he threw at Logan was; “How could you bring yourself to put another innocent woman’s life in danger?”

That’s when Logan hit him.

Forge pulled Logan back, but I think he only intended to hit him once. So Scott started shouting again. Logan is apparently and I quote “an uncontrollable freak, who should have been put down at birth”.

That’s when I stepped in between them and poked my finger in Scott’s chest. “First off, I am Marie, I am a person and I am still in the God damned room! And secondly I thought this was some kind of safe place for mutants?” he looked a bit shocked at that one. “What? ‘Cos I don’t have blue hair, wings or fancy damn shades I’m not a mutant, or what was it you said, an uncontrollable freak…” I tried to give him my best copy of one of my mothers looks, “Comments like that…you sure you’re on the right side of the picket line?!”

I turned away from him and took Logan’s hand, he smiled at me and marched passed ‘ol Scotty boy and into a very polished and sterile corridor which, I discovered, leads up into a perfectly normal looking school. Which, in a word, is weird. We arrived through a basketball court and descended into a huge hanger, how it’s all connected I don’t know, but, just… weird.

Walking down a long corridor I got a good look around. Place is nice, fancy, lots of wood panel and potted plants. I could hear the chatter of school kids and the hum of lots of people as we passed what looked like a school cafeteria. Sure I can smell bacon, breakfast round here is obviously good. I reached into the side pocket of dad’s duffel and pulled out a think pair of brown gloves, lots of people in one place make me nervous and this is the last place I want any slip ups with my skin. I don’t want anything to touch me, ‘cos all of a sudden I am scared to death of where I am, what I'm doing and who these people are and would really like to go throw up somewhere.

Logan noticed, but thankfully didn’t say anything; I think he could sense that my anger had worn off and that I was now running on nerves.

We got to a large foyer and went into a small round office off to one side, without knocking, I might add. “Logan, good to have you home. Pleasant journey?” The middle aged bald man in a wheelchair behind the desk smiled at us both.

“Was till fuckin’ Scooter put in his opinion! Charles he has no right…” the bald man raised his hand for Logan to stop.

“I will speak to him. Marie, isn’t it?” I nodded not sure what to say, and, how did he know my name?

{You’re not the only one with gifts you know.}

I step back and raise my own hands. “Okay…that was in my head!!”

Logan laughs a little next to me. “You get used to it after a while. Professor Charles Xavier, this is Marie…” His voice softens a little. “The girl I told you about.” He told someone about me? What did he say exactly? My heart gave a little jump at that. Such a girl!

Charles wheels himself round his desk and shakes my hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Marie, Logan has told me a lot about you.” He turns to Logan. “Although I didn’t expect to be meeting her just yet.” Logan looks at his feet, shrugs and then glances at me, a smile spreads slowly across his face and before he has time to say anything Charles clears his throat. “I think I understand. Why don’t you get Marie settled and I think it would be wise to go and see Jubilee, she had been asking for you. Leave Scott to me, and Logan you must remember at the end of the day Scott is only thinking of this school and the implications for the team.”

“Yeah? Whatever, one day he’ll have to trust me, let’s just hope when that day comes I’m in a good mood.”

Logan turns towards the door and leads me out with him; at the last minute I remember my manners and turn to the Professor. “It was really nice to meet ya sir.”

He did nothing more than smile and incline his head towards me before we were out the door and heading up a giant staircase. “Logan, slow down!” He’s taking the steps two at a time, and I just can’t keep up.

Before I know it he’s opening the door to what looks like his room. “Um, this is…me.” I look around and I’m a little surprised, he notices with a smile. “Not what you expected?”

I laugh and put my hands up in mock defence. His room is neat, clean and very spacious. “Not at all, well...maybe. I mean come on, you’re a guy. Where are the dirty socks on the floor, the bedpost, hanging off a lampshade? Really I’m shocked.” I laugh again.

He closes the space between us, his eyes look down at me and I feel like he’s been in my life forever. He touches my cheek gently. “Guess we’re both full of surprises. And you just keep right on surprising me. There I was thinking you were all shy and shit and then you go and make Scott feel about two feet tall.”

I cringe a little and drop my head; his hand instantly comes up and raises my chin. “I’m sorry, it’s just, you’re not what he thinks you are. I can feel it.” My voice is almost a whisper and I think I’m shaking…either that or it’s really cold in here.

His lips come down to meet mine, slowly descending and when they finally touch its feather-light and full of gentleness. Both of his hands are on my face, framing it strongly as what feels like electricity fills me. I can’t help making the completely girlish moan in the back of my throat and I feel his lips smile against mine.

Hands move from my face and strong arms engulf my body, pressing me to him as the kiss deepens, his tongue is in my mouth, hot and searching. Not invading, not pressuring. Just right. Our lips part and our breath his heavy, laboured. More lighter, smaller kisses are pressed against my now plump lips.

I finally find the power to move my body; I push my hands behind me to peel my gloves off then place my open palms against his shirt, gripping the material between my fingers. Holding on. As I find I’m able to function a little more I push my hands up and under his shirt so they are against his skin. The hair on his huge chest tickles my palms as his muscles ripple at my touch.

One of his hands drifts lower and another moan escapes me as he grips my left buttock, pulling me even closer although my muddled brain can’t quite figure out how I can be any closer to his body than I already am. I’m on overload. My head is swimming.

His kisses, soft but somehow firm at the same time, start to drift down the side of my face to my ear, then my neck. Opening my eyes I can see the slightly yellowed ceiling tiles, I can’t say as I care about them, my vision swims as he lifts me up, my legs instinctively wrapping around his waist, all the while he’s kissing and mumbling into my skin about how I smell, how I taste. I never could have imagined the feel of him next to my skin.

All of him against my skin. My skin. His lips are against my skin. Pressed against me. My skin. MY skin. Shit.

That’s all the conscious thought my overloaded body needed to shock it into panicking and doing something stupid. My mutation flipped on, without me even telling it to, like some kind of weird defence, not that I even want or need to be defended. Especially right now. I feel the shock run through his body, he stiffens, gasps against my neck, but he can’t pull away. I feel the rush, what a rush. Pure energy hits me, fills my body giving me that momentary blindness you feel at the point of climax. Then I realise that’s not what should have happened and that’s not how it should make me feel. I turn it off, as quickly as it came on, all of that took less than 4 seconds.

Without warning, I can smell month old cigar smoke, my skin, his skin, the room, his washing powder, the wood polish, sex, sex, sex, I can smell sex.

My feet hit the floor and his hands leave me. He staggers back from me, a strange glazed look of shock on his face. “Logan?” My hands cover my mouth muffling my voice as I panic. “OhmygodOhmygodOhmygodOhmygod!”

He staggers again, he blinks extra, extra slowly, then suddenly his legs give out and he’s instantly sat on his ass. His eyes glaze over even more and his head just flops backwards hitting the wood floor with a really loud heavy thump.

*****