“Any idea where we are going?” Logan grunted from the back seat of the van. He grumbled slightly as he elbowed the napping Jaime to move back over to his side.

“Anywhere and everywhere,” Pietro answered steadily as he kept his eyes on the road ahead of him.

Logan snorted.

Wanda glanced at Logan in the rear-view mirror. “We have no exact destination at this time. It’s too dangerous. Magneto can easily find out places that we’ve used in the past or the locations of mutant safe houses. So we need to just remain on the run and outpace Dead Girl.”

“We keep changing directions. Try to keep the trail cold,” Pietro spoke up.

“How is it that Magneto knows so much?”

Wanda glanced at her brother who remained focused on driving before speaking. “You should know he has his ways. Did you ever wonder how he found you and Rogue in the middle of Canada?”

Logan remained quite.

“I suppose it was a remarkable thing you were with her when Sabretooth attacked,” Pietro remarked surprisingly neutral.

“You say it as though it was a good thing.”

Logan kept his eyes on the rear view mirror as he watched Pietro’s expression, surprised to meet his gaze.

“She would have died in Magneto’s machine if she hadn’t have been rescued.”

“By you,” Wanda interjected.

“Tell me, Wolverine,” Pietro continued, his gaze meeting Logan’s in the mirror once again. “If the X-Men hadn’t of saved the two of you on that deserted road would you still of had the desire to go after her?”

Logan glared silently at the two mutants in the front of the van, further perturbed by the situation he was stuck in. Rogue’s cold dead body was lying in a casket behind him and two strangers were questioning him, too intimately about his relationship with her; questioning him about a past that had held a future but had failed. That failure was made more evident with each passing moment as the coffin dug into the back seat.

He felt as cold as her body. An iciness had coated his metal skeleton ever since he’d lifted the lid on her coffin and now it had spread throughout the rest of his body. It was a surreal experience. He could feel the simmering rage and grief the more feral side of him was wallowing in but he knew the time to release that energy was for later.

“Yes,” the suddenly awake Jaime spoke.

Logan eyed him discreetly.

Wanda shifted in her seat with a huff from the front. “You’re too much of a romantic, Jaime.”

“And you’re not enough of one,” Jaime countered as he yawned.

“He only would have gone after them because Sabretooth had wounded his pathetic pride.”

“Is it just me or do you hate all men in general?” Logan growled at her as he became more agitated.

Turning over her shoulder she glared at them both. “Enlighten us, Jaime,” she spat.

“If he was willing to go and save her just after a day or two what makes you think he wouldn’t have after their first meeting,” Jaime stated matter of fact. “Clearly, something occurred in their first meeting to make such a connection despite Sabretooth’s interrupted timing.”

“What is it with you people and your fascination with my life,” Logan grumbled. “Stop talking around me like I’m some kind of subject for you to dissect.”

He was unnerved more by Jaime’s sudden insight. He’d just met these people and he knew nothing about them. Glancing out of the window he was pleased when no more questions were brought up and the van was silent again. His stern reflection staring back at him, he was faced with the fact that Jaime was more than likely right. He tried not to analyze his relationship with Rogue too much, especially considering where he was presently but as he caught the glint in his eye he knew the truth. The moment she’d eyed him across the bar he’d been split open by her gaze, he’d felt himself be marked and when he’d let her into his truck he knew that a dark, feral, simplistic part of him had marked her too. He didn’t know how to explain it. Her scent had woken something up inside of him but her eyes had forever held him. She was the first to care. She was his.

He spotted the casket in the reflection of the window. She wasn’t his anymore and she hadn’t been for a long time. The claws slid out of his hands silently but no one noticed. She’d always noticed, always been concerned for him, knowing the pain it caused him every time. He closed his eyes and leant against the cool glass as he calmed his breathing and felt his claws slide back in.

He was on the road to nowhere.