“Why does she always appear to pass out right after the injection? Is that healthy?”

Logan’s voice was fuzzy and disorienting to Rogue’s ears. Slowly, she found herself waking up, her cheek pressed against the warm leather of the couch but she kept her eyes closed, giving her body a minute or two to catch up.

“I would say after the past couple of days it would be a normal side effect. Her body is extremely stressed and when she cannot control the on coming powers her body goes into over load. The drug allows her to rest and recuperate, the best way for her to accomplish that is through sleep.” Hank’s tired voice responded. She could sense their voices just outside the doorway.

“Is this natural?” Logan asked quietly. “It doesn’t seem right that her mutation is trying to kill her.”

“Yes, I know,” Hank responded wearily. “I do not think that is the intent of her mutating evolution. Rogue’s power developed around the appropriate age of puberty, and no doubt during a very stressful experience. The first thing that occurred to her was to cover her skin up, to ignore it. The Professor himself told her there was likely no control in her future it was merely how her gift was meant to be. Therefore even in a school for mutants Rogue never bothered to attempt the limitations and the possibilities of her skin. In effect she perhaps blocked the change that was meant to be gradual. When she was older and after having absorbed a few mutants, such as yourself, she learned with the Professor’s help how to control the invading personalities, how to lock them up in her mind. This no doubt led to her ability to find the switch in her mind to control her skin. I believe that was halfway through your relationship was it not?”

Logan grunted.

“Once she had acquired the control she wanted, she never thought much about her potential with her gift. Why is it that the personalities, the more consequential element of the transfer when she uses her skin remain, but the less threatening to her mind, the powers fade? Perhaps it is the natural transgression of events that her body has learned to hold on to each power as a battery resource. The danger lies in that she must not ignore it, she must learn how each one works, and she must learn the ability to call on them or to even banish them when she wants. A future possibility being that she could filter what happens when she touches another mutant; she could block the personality and absorb the power or vice versa.”

Logan was quiet for a moment. “So what your saying is she could be one of the most powerful mutants in the world,” his words were dark and tense.

“She views it as a sickness, Logan.”

“Does the Professor know?”

“No,” Hank responded. “I promised Rogue.”

“Good,” Logan interrupted tightly. “Make sure it stays that way.”

“Of course.”

“What can you do then, what do you plan on doing?”

“The problem has been getting her to fully co-operate. It would be best if she remained here, for observation.”
Logan growled.

“I know…” Hank began carefully. “That both of you are not very comfortable with doctors and this environment but if I am able to witness each spurt of power and able to somehow slow the advances down without having to knock her out, she could very well learn control.”

“How many powers does she have?”

“She said five.”

“She says,” Logan snorted.

“Magneto, you, Bobby, John and some mutant she briefly touched by accident in the past year who had added strength and agility.”

“Which one is most problematic for her?”

“I would have to say John’s power. I’ve seen it when it has flared up in her and it was quite a devastating experience to say the least. She fears his power for some reason and that fear restricts her from being able to take control.”

“Only once briefly has she exhibited his power since she woke up…” Logan hesitated slightly. “She burned somebody else’s cigarette right through.”

“That was all?” Hank asked in surprise.

“What is it doc?”

“It no doubt was a large strain on her body when she was subconsciously drawing on your power.”

“And?” Logan barked.

“Your power has always been the least obtrusive to her. Exhibiting your power usually calms her down.”

“So what you’re saying, is that the me in her head, or my power helps her push the others back?”

“That is quite possible, your power has been the most consistent and the most adaptable, and at times she hasn’t even known what she was doing. I would theorize that another transfer of your power into her and she would have the ability to heal as fast as you do.”

“Isn’t there a danger to her possessing too many powers?”

Feigning sleep Rogue continued to listen with her heightened hearing but movement from the other side of the room distracted her as the back door opened and footsteps were coming towards her.

“Wake up Rogue; I should be the one resting.”

Opening her eyes Rogue slowly sat up as she acknowledged Stacy X. There was a large bandage around her neck, her skin despite the scales was a shade lighter and even her eyes looked tired but the smile on her face showed a genuine sense of freedom.

“You’re alive.”

“And kicking,” Stacy X responded as she sat across in one of the chairs.

Rogue nodded quietly not sure what else to say.

“It’s okay,” the other woman laughed softly. “I know were not exactly friends but you can admit that getting me this procedure and the fact that it was successful will be a thorn in the Director’s side once he realizes I’m gone.”

“Will you be okay?” “I mean won’t he be looking for you?”

Stacy X nodded. “No doubt. But I will lay low, maybe get out of the country, which is why I can’t stay long.”

“Well,” Rogue paused and glanced around the room before finally setting her eyes on the other woman. “I suppose I should thank you.”

Stacy X smirked lightly in response. “You’re a smart girl Rogue, I can see that. You know how it is when were forced to play the hand were dealt and I know after everything this is the closest we’ll come to a comfort zone. The key though is to always remember there’s another hand coming the next turn, another chance, it be wise not to forget that.”

Smiling tightly Rogue nodded at her.

Swiftly Stacy X stood up. “Well I should be going. Remember to stay low too Rogue. Don’t go around getting yourself caught. You pissed off the wrong kind of people.” Tilting her head at her, she winked once. “But I kind of like that about you.”

“Thanks.”

“From what I hear you’re a pretty remarkable mutant, Rogue, but the Director he doesn’t always think straight, his anger at you far out weighed the more practical side of him. Be careful he doesn’t get a second chance to re-evaluate your worth.”

Making her way back the way she came in, Stacy X paused in the doorway. “By the way,” she started pointedly, glancing at the other door where they could make out Logan and Hank’s shadows. “Whatever went wrong there, fix it, because believe me when you do it will be good.”

With one last wink, she slithered through the door.