“So,” Rogue began as her and Wanda stood outside of the convenience store as Jaime and Pietro stocked up on supplies inside. Across from them a stoic Logan was filling up the gas tank, his eyes on the road.

“I just wanted to,” she stumbled. “To, in general you know…apologize for everything. I know I haven’t been the easiest friend and I appreciate everything you’ve ever done for me and…” she huffed and finally levelled her gaze at Wanda who was wearing a friendly but all too knowing smirk. “To clarify I’m sorry in general I can be an ass.”

Wanda let the smirk grow on her face as she crossed her arms and leant against the brick wall. “After the past couple of months, sorry is bit of an understatement…”

Rogue slowly opened her mouth but Wanda continued. “But, your apology is accepted.”

“You know though, it kind of does hurt me that you weren’t able to confide in me.”

Rogue sighed and ran her hand through her hair.

“I know, it wasn’t that I didn’t trust you, I was just really fucked up and confused and I just figured the less people were involved the safer things were.”

“Yeah, but you being gunned down wasn’t safe Rogue and your safety is just as important.”

Silently, Rogue scuffed the tip of her shoe against the pavement, a stone rolling under her foot. Looking up her eyes focused on Logan who had his back to them.

“I can see you went ahead and enlisted my designating protector.”

Blowing air through her teeth, Wanda pushed herself off of the wall.

“You’re being an ass again.”

Rogue’s eyes flashed towards her friend in mild annoyance.

“Rogue, I don’t understand what went wrong between the two of you, but he’s here right now and as much as that may be a pain in your ass, although after that show in the room back there…”

Rogue cleared her throat and glared at her.

“I’m just saying, he was the best one for the job and he accepted it and if you think it’s out of obligation, then you need to get your eyes checked.”

“Well, look at you, the president of your own little Wolverine fan club.”

Wanda rolled her eyes. “Would it help if I went over there and hit on him, would that make you get over this little angst act and make you accept whatever left over feelings there are.”

“Bitch,” Rogue responded dryly.

“Skank,” Wanda threw back with a smile.

“Besides I think Jaime would have something to say if you went and did that.”

Wanda burst out laughing. “What?”

“Oh come on,” Rogue implored with a sassy smile. “Maybe you’re the one who needs her eyes checked, because you two seriously need to work something out.”

“Please,” Wanda began in an unusually high voice. “He never takes anything seriously, he’s always…”

“And you take everything too seriously.”

Wanda rolled her eyes and leant back against the wall signalling the end of that particular topic.

They stood in amicable silence as they watched a few cars drive by.

“Rogue, I think you should still see a doctor, make sure everything’s okay,” Wanda began seriously. “I don’t want a repeat of events.”

“Okay,” Rogue responded quietly.

Wanda’s shoulders slouched against the wall, relieved to have avoided another argument.

“You’re not still using are you?”

Sighing slowly Rogue turned and gave her a wry smile.

“It’s not that simple. The drugs help with the over flow of my powers.”

Wanda raised both of her eyebrows up in surprise. “Doctor it is then. Do you know of…”

“I was already seeing one,” Rogue interjected.

“Who?”

“Dr. Hank McCoy.”

“An X-Men?” Wanda asked in surprise.

“Part-time I suppose, but for the last year he’s been working in Washington.”

“Is that what all the disappearances were about?”

“Most.”

Wanda shook her head but responded anyways. “Think he’d still see you? We’re not that far from Washington, probably a day’s drive.”

“I suppose.”

“Call now,” Logan abruptly spoke as he walked up towards them, hearing the last of their conversation. Without another word he placed a few coins in her hand and indicated the pay-phone further down the wall. Sighing, she accepted the money and headed for the phone.


Silently, Logan placed his un-lit cigar in his mouth and chewed on it.

“Nice weather we’re having,” Wanda spoke.

Turning his head slowly, Logan glanced at her wryly and reframed from any comment.

“So for once I try for normal conversation and this is what I get,” she remarked and headed into the store with a small smile.


“Hi, Hank,” Rogue’s careful voice spoke into the phone, her back to Logan.

Logan listened quietly but kept his eyes straight.

“Yeah, it’s me … Rogue,” she paused. “Mhmmm,” she added.

“I’m….alright…but...” she paused again. “Yes,” she added.

“I can be there soon, if….”

“Yes,” she answered into the phone.

“Probably, a day’s drive.”

“Look, Hank…I’m with some friends,” she paused and glanced at Logan. “And Logan.”

For a moment there was a long pause in their conversation, as Rogue held the phone to her ear.

“Yes,” she answered.

Eyeing Logan carefully she pulled the phone away from her ear.

“Logan,” she called softly.

Slowly, he met her gaze.

“He’d like to speak to you.”

Placing the cigar back in his pocket, Logan took the phone from her, careful not to touch her own hand and she backed up.

“Yeah, Hank it’s me.”

“Listen, Hank I need you to keep our presence as quiet as you can, there may be some trouble coming our way.”
Logan grunted. “Nothing we can’t handle. Don’t tell me all that time in your labs and offices you’ve become a softie. I told you to lay off all those twinkies.”

“Yeah, see yah soon,” he muttered and hung the phone up.

Rogue was quiet as they stood alone, waiting for the others, it was suddenly extremely awkward and she was very aware of the amount of space Logan was putting between them.

“Logan,” she began quietly.

He glanced at her slowly, his gaze neutral but she figured it was plus he wasn’t carrying his usual frown.

“Uh,” she stuttered. “I just wanted to say… thank-you for being here.”

She glanced away.

He was quiet and she didn’t think he was going to respond. The door chimed by them as Jaime, Pietro and Wanda exited the store. Logan began moving forward towards the van.

“Just try not to get shot at anymore,” he spoke over his shoulder.

She nodded and pushed off of the wall to follow, a small smile ticking at her lips.