Author's Chapter Notes:
Last line of Last Chapter: He chuckled and brought his face in close to my neck. He nibbled and smelled a little bit before asking, “You wanna talk about those claws?”

Title: Futures Unknown 5/?
Rating: R, for a bit of graphic Gore

Verse: AU
Summary: Marie learns more about herself and has to get out of a elevated situation.
Genre: Shipper-fic, Action, Foof
Disclaimer: I’m thinking about putting in a bid at Marvel, but I think they’d want too much money. So right now I’m just borrowing them for my own personal fantasies.

Authors Note: Here’s Chapter 5, it’s got a bit of gore in it, but you’ll be fine I promise. And don’t worry, it’s not a chapter killer, more of a learning experience. Sucker is taking off at an alarming rate. I’m glad for everyone who’s religiously reviewed, It’s very inspiring. Thanks so much for reading. Tell me what you think!


 

 

 

(reminder) Logan just asked her about her new claws.

 

Chapter 5

 

I dropped my head into his chest, my eyes slid closed. “They hurt.”

 

The scent of sadness and self recrimination hit my nose abruptly, and I turned up to look at him. The same emotions burned in his golden eyes. His grip on me tightened and he pulled me closer in a tight hug. “I’m sorry,” he replied, his voice thick and gruff.

 

“Not your fault,” I replied into his warmth. Time to change the subject. “How do you release ‘em?” I ask, pulling back and gesturing to my hands with my head. I’d moved them down to his shoulders, and they captured my attention again. Logan’s grip loosened on me and he looked at my hands with me.

 

“Where do you feel ‘em?”

 

I gave him a curious little gaze and then started taking stock in my body. “My hands are heavy,” I say starting with my arms, “and my wrists feel different.” I rotate them experimentally. “Like they’ve got more range of motion, and they’re a lot more…” I struggle for a word. Stability? No. Reliability? No. I’m not a car. That strikes a thought.

 

“It’s like they got new shocks, better ways to handle terrain and absorb different types of movements. Does that make sense?” As I’d been speaking, Logan had taken one of my hands into his and he was examining it, with light little touches and keen eyes. He gets close to the end of my fingertips and I yank my hand back.

 

“Watch out!” I snapped, anger and fear radiating off of me. “I can’t control it Logan, you could get hurt.” He raised an eyebrow at me and smirked.

 

“Don’t worry about it baby, healin’ remember?”

 

I shook my head at him. “Doesn’t mean that you need to be careless and take pain just because. They’re really strong. When I wasn’t quite so me, I dug them into the bark of that tree,” I said, indicating said tree, “and tore it up. They didn’t bend or break. I don’t think they’re made of the same bone as the rest of my body.”

 

His eyes darted up, and I could tell when he saw the carnage I remember making. The bark is torn to shreds, the white underneath clear as day with deep grooves and lines in it. “Just be careful,” I mumbled, “I really don’t wanna hurt you.”

 

With no outward agreement to be careful he turned back to my hand but angled my fingers away from him. They dangled downward while his fingers pressed into my wrist. My left hand was left dangling at my side, forgotten in his inspection. Suddenly, his fingers found a sensitive spot, the underside of my wrist, directly in the middle. I felt the tiniest muscle in deep in the middle spasm and knew just before the pain hit my hands what was happening.

 

“Ahh,” I screamed and nearly toppled to the ground when my knees gave way. Instinctively my the claws shot out of my dangling left hand, and I knew without looking that my right hand was a grotesque mirror of the left.

 

Logan, who I’d momentarily forgotten, uttered an expletive when he caught me and gingerly lowered me to the floor. The cold ground under my butt did little to make me forget the searing healing agony of my left hand and the raw wounds that were forced open by my misfiring claws on the right. I didn’t want to look, but it’s like when a train wrecks, you have no choice and you can’t not look.

 

In my left hand my claws were extended out of my finger tips like they had earlier, kind of like really long fingernails but underneath them. It was creepy too look at and kinda freaked me out a bit, but they were natural. The wounds weren’t open or raw. The skin closed around them, like they were naturally there. I wondered if I could remove my fingernails to make them look less freakish. Again with the spacing out. On closer inspection, it looked like they were just to the left of the bones in my fingers.

 

My gaze moved over to my right hand, the one in searing pain with the wounds that won’t close. Logan was holding my hand gingerly, and he’d grasped my fingers, holding them together and making sure I keep them pointed down. I barely registered his presence as I looked at my right hand. The claws were jutting out of my knuckles, which were bleeding freely. The wounds were jagged and very painful. It hurt so bad, I didn’t even notice my wet cheeks until Logan wiped at one of the tracks with the pad of his thumb. It was around that time that I realized someone was sobbing and that the someone was me.

 

It had been so long since I was in real pain. The pain of an open wound is completely different from the burning itch of healing. A flash of the last time I felt real wounding pain shot through my brain. Shortly before I’d learned the control I had now I’d fallen. A sharp rock at the cabin caught me in the arm and cut a 4 inch long, one inch deep gash in the sensitive flesh of my inner forearm. I only knew ‘drain’ and ‘don’t drain’, and I couldn’t have moved him if I’d let him use his powers to heal me so I’d kept my powers off until we’d trekked the 2 miles back to the cabin. Ok, Logan trekked, I suffered the pain in silence while he carried me. I’d let him touch me at full force when we made it back to the bed.

 

I’d lost so much blood, we’d both slept for a day.

 

“Baby.” Logan’s voice pulled me back to myself. “Baby pull ‘em back.”

 

My eyes met his, my vision blurry. “It hurts,” I managed to choke out. The pain in his eyes was a tangible thing when he leaned down and kissed me gingerly on the forehead.

 

“I know baby, but you gotta pull ‘em back.” I couldn’t really concentrate on my surroundings, but I did manage to spare some thoughts for the thrashing in the woods behind me. The sun was beginning to set, but even in pain my senses never fail me. Scents and visual hit me at about the same time as Eli came to a halt next to me, depositing an obviously worried Lillian on her feet. I must have been projecting pretty loudly. Eli’s dark brown eyes were worried, and Lillian bright blue ones were scared.

 

Had I been a little more coherent, I’d have noticed the silent communication as Logan sent Lillian a thought, I did notice that although she was terrified, it wasn’t of me it was for me. It didn’t take long for her to calm me down and help me separate my mind from the pain. I don’t know how long we sat like that for, but we got my claws back in with an audible sickening sound and my wounds healed themselves. Exhausted, I smiled weakly at her while Logan lifted me into his arms.

 

~*~*~*~

 

Lillian and I were sitting in my tent, I’d changed into a tank and shorts and sat with a blanket around me. Lillian was on her knees behind me braiding my hair.

 

“I’m sorry.” She said out of the blue. We’d been sitting in silence and I was enjoying just being around her. Lillian was my closest girlfriend, and I’d missed her. I didn’t say anything, because she smelled really nervous and I wanted her to take her time.

 

She finished the braid and laid it gently over my shoulder. She remained lost in thought for a moment before moving to sit in front of me. “Marie, when you went feral that first time, the emotions coming off of you were overwhelming. Usually you’re not a broadcaster at all, as a matter of fact, usually I have to concentrate just to read you unless I open the mind link, but you were screaming with your fear and rage and I was overwhelmed. But you came back to yourself, and everything was better. But every time you’d change I’d get these flashes of fear and anger, or…” she blushed then. “Or Lust.” That made me blush.

 

“Lil,” She cut me off.

 

“Let me finish. Victor was so scared, I knew his fear was irrational, but he’s such a broadcaster, even on a normal day. His fear penetrated me and made me doubt myself. Now, I’m not blaming it all on him, because I was uneasy all on my own, he just kinda fed it. Usually I have more control over how I let other people’s emotions effect my own, but Eli was confused and even though I knew, I knew, that you wouldn’t’ hurt us, I was afraid. And I’m sorry. I know you better than that. And I’m ashamed of how I acted, will you ever forgive me?” She was trembling and sincere and I really really missed talking to her and I hated to smell the remorse and fear on her.

 

“I forgive you,” I said as I wrapped her in a tight hug. “Let’s forget all about it, and move on, because I have a feeling I’m really going to need your help with things that are coming.” We settled into more mundane topics as I checked our bank accounts and the regular places for searches on mutants. There was a mention of ‘Weapon X and company’ on one of Canada’s unofficial military post boards, and Lillian, Eli and I were still on the US boards. The Canadian’s were looking for information and the US boards were all but inactive, we pretty much already knew that. Our whereabouts were still unknown. I sighed in relief.

 

An hour later Logan poked his head in, signaling to Lillian that Eli was waiting for her. We said our goodbyes and she headed out. While Logan and I stripped down to our skin I told him about the military postings. He grunted his understanding as he slid under the blankets then he reached for me, dragging me on top of him and took my lips in a hard kiss.

 

“Are you ok?” He asked as he was settling me in next to him, wrapping his arms around me. I nodded into his shoulder. “Any idea why you got claws now?” he was mumbling, the day had been taxing to us both and we were drifting into sleep.

 

“Nope,” I replied, shifting to lean over him. “But I don’t want to think about it right now, I’ve got other things on my mind.” I wasn’t about to let a little thing like fatigue end my night early.

 

~*~*~*~

 

I started awake to the quiet sounds of the night, the nightmare still rattling around in my head and the foreboding feeling much stronger. I looked down at my mate, he slept peacefully so I knew there wasn’t anything to blame but my own paranoia. Slowly, quickly and quietly I slipped out of the tent. The moon was bright in the sky, it hung large and low like a spotlight. The night air was cold on my flesh, and I felt exposed.

 

I looked to the tree line, knowing that safety lie there. I sunk into a low crouch, quickly traversing the outer line of our sleeping and common area, searching for new and unknown scents. I found none, but quickly climbed up into a tree when I smelt the strong current scent of the other alpha male from before. I stopped the growl that rumbled up into my chest, I didn’t want to make a noise and alert anyone to my position.

 

I moved back and forth above them, traversing silently from branch to branch primed and waiting. It was a long time before I felt secure in myself again. He couldn’t get me here, he was too large, not nearly as skilled a climber as I. He might be stronger, more powerful, bigger, but I was faster and the branches would collapse under his bulk.

 

I moved on, to the others. The weaker members of the pack. I checked and rechecked their area, finding no fault on the ground I moved into the trees spending time there alert and watchful. Again, time passed, I did a quick check at my own area, assuring myself that my mate was safe and sound, before checking the tree line again and moving off to sniff angrily around the other alpha male’s tent.

 

I moved off into the forest, determined to make a run or two around the edge of our haven. The area was large, I found many traces of my mate, and the other alpha male. His mate hadn’t come out this far but the weaker male, Eli, had been out this far, out the farthest. Suddenly I remembered that Eli wasn’t weaker, just a different kind of strong. His scent was everywhere. All along the perimeter, I was quickly learning to demand knowledge from the void in my mind. Eli ran fast, he came out here many times a day, checking for intruders.

 

I stayed along the tops of the trees, safe from larger more dangerous predators. I growled, thinking of the other alpha male. The hostility I felt for him held a hint of old rage. Something from the past that I couldn’t quite remember. I shook off the feeling and walked the edge of everyone’s scents, memorizing the exact line.

 

I was getting tired, my body was slowly shutting down, and I wanted to find a comfortable place before I was too tired to move anymore. I couldn’t chance the ground there were to many larger predators there, so I found a comfortable place in one of the higher trees in the middle of the forest. Finally, I gave in to sleep.

 

~*~*~*~

 

I was freezing. I hadn’t woken up freezing since I was on the road, and that was so many years ago it hadn’t even popped into my mind until I’d thought for a few seconds. There was no warm body, there was sun in my eyes, there were no warm blankets, there was bark pressing into my back. I rolled over, thinking that maybe Logan had opened the flap, or that I was just laying on a stray piece of forest.

 

The next thing I knew, I was free falling. Well, kinda. I was almost free falling. My claws shot out and hooked my into the thick trunk of the tree, stopping my free fall before it really began. I scrambled back onto the perch I’d had, question after question scrambling though my brain.

 

What was I doing up here? How did I get up here? How did I sleep on that branch? Where the hell were my clothes? I scrambled to the large truck, plastering my body as tightly to the bark as I could. I retracted my claws, It wasn’t happening excruciatingly slow anymore. Each time I managed to get them in a little faster than the last.

 

‘Marie.’

 

‘Lillian!’ Oh thank god.

 

‘Where are you?’

 

I wanted to roll my eyes; I think she picks that stuff up through the link, so I did it. ‘In a tree.’

I heard her snicker. ‘I got the eye roll. You know where?’

 

I thought hard for a second, and flashes of my night went through my mind. ‘Halfway between camp and the southeastern edge of the perimeter.’

 

‘Looks like you had quite a journey last night. Everyone is worried about you Logan and Victor are sniffing you out, and Hazel has a blanket for you. It looked like you just up and left. You are naked right?’

 

‘Yeah, as the day I was born.’ I flushed with embarrassment.

 

‘Logan says you stayed in the encampment for a while, you lingered over everyone but him.’

 

I thought long and hard for a moment, more flashes coming back. Lillian, ever courteous, waited until I would elaborate. ‘Yeah, I wanted to make sure everyone was fine, and I was still mad a Vic. I had faith in Logan, I knew he was fine. After that then I wanted to check the outer tree line. Hey, you’re not doing the party line thing are you?’

 

Lillian had the ability (along with closed circuit brain videos) to do a sort of party line conversation with everyone in the pack. I’m telling you, I think she’s stronger than Xavier. She doesn’t even need his big metal room to find people. She has to have run into them before, but she can find them all over the continent if she has. We haven’t really tested the limits of her powers, she’s got lots of things she knows she can do, but I’m sure there’s lots that we don’t know about.

 

‘You’re right on that missy.’ She replies to my thoughts. ‘And no, I’m not doing the Party Line, it’s just you and me.’

 

‘Ok. Look, I can hear them now, I’ll see you soon. Thanks.’

 

‘No problem honey.’

 

I heard Logan, Vic, Hazel and Eli calling out to me. “Here!” I called back. The sounds of thrashing in the underbrush brought them closer to me. I laid out on the branch, thankful that it was at least as wide as my body, and fought the urge to wrap my legs around it. Too much exposure. I wrapped my arms around it instead, inwardly grumbling at the sharp bite of the bark into my breasts.

 

“Logan!” I yelled again, he came crashing forward, and popped into my view. I was at least 50 feet in the air, and he was much tinier than usual.

 

“How the hell did you get up there?” He hollered up.

 

“I climbed!” I could see his incredulous look from here. “Get me down!”

 

“You should climb down!” Victor yelled. I growled.

 

“No, I can’t!” All this yelling was getting annoying. Hazel laughed, I heard it clear as day, and it was a hearty sultry laughter. “I heard you Hazel.” Her laughter turned into loud uproarious guffaws.

 

“You really are naked?” Logan yelled up.

 

I blushed a furious beat red and shrieked, “Yes! Now come get me!”

 

“Sweetheart, I can’t climb as good as you. And I really don’t feel like using my claws like ice picks. Why don’t you climb down and then jump?”

 

He has got to be out of his Goddamn mind. “Jump! Are you serious?”

 

He chuckled, that bastard, he chuckled at me and I could hear it. “I’ll catch ya baby, don’t worry.”

 

I glared down at him. “If I climb down everyone will see me. Get Lillian here, she can use her Telekinesis to get me down.”

 

“We could, but she’d have to bring you down slow too.” Damn. Double Damn. I laid my cheek on the branch and thought for a second.

 

“Will it hurt you if I jump down from this height?” The only response I got was a raised eyebrow. “Fine, make Vic and Eli turn around.” I could practically see Victor’s eyes roll up in his head as he turned around. Eli, noting that the situation was now under control turned to leave.

 

“I’m going back to Lillian, I don’t’ like her being alone back there.” He called, before dashing of into the forest.

 

I sent another glare to Logan and started to slowly climb down. By the time I reached halfway and was about 25 feet off the ground, I had nearly fallen to my death three times, healed from too many scratches to count, and it was a half hour later. I was tired and scared, and had had plenty of time to wonder how much sleep I got last night.

 

“Ok, I’m not climbing any more. Obviously I can’t do this as good as you all seem to think. Hazel, are you ready with that blanket?”

 

“Yep!”

 

I shot another glance at Victor. Five minutes into my climb he’d found a rock to perch on, Hazel had been keeping him company, but at my holler she’d jumped to her feet and moved closer to Logan. Every part of my body was tingly cold and I was very eager for the warmth that being in Logan’s arms promised.

 

“Are you ready Logan!” I yelled, eying him below me.

 

He held out his arms, and maneuvered into position, “You bet your sweet ass.” His golden eyes twinkled. I laughed in spite of myself.

 

I unfurled from my crouched position and stood tentatively on a sturdy branch. Logan readjusted to my position and I nearly closed my eyes when I leapt. I managed not to in the last second. I landed with a soft thud in Logan’s arms and Hazel quickly threw the blanket over me. Logan settled me onto my feet and secured the blanket around me before he scooped me back up. I laid my head on his shoulder and shivered.

 

“I’m cold.”

 

He chuckled that deep sexy chuckle of his (the one that only I get to hear) and dipped his head towards me. “I’ll take care of that when we get back to the tent.” I gasped a little and then grinned.

 

“Good.” We made it back to the encampment and Logan made good on his word.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks so much for all your support. Any ideas on what you think might happen?