Author's Chapter Notes:
Marie's working though her issues.

Title: Futures Unknown 3/? 
Rating: Rated R: For Language and Adult Themes and Adult Situations

Verse: AU
Summary: In a world where mutants are hunted, and the line between friend and foe are skewed, you have to know who to trust, learn how to hide, and look after your own.
Genre: Shipper-fic, Action
Word Count: 2,753  
Disclaimer: I do not own the X-men, nor all of the characters in this fic. Although I own a few. *grins*

Author’s Note: Ok… Due to the demands of certain unnamed people, here is the third installment of Futures. It’s a little angst heavy, but I’ve been told I’m a kind of angst girl.

 

 

 

 

 

Futures Unknown

 

Chapter 3

 

I woke up in the truck again. Laid out in the back with the last seat pushed down. I’m sore, oh so sore. “Logan?” the word falls from my mouth, weak and gravely. Within seconds he was standing at the back of the open hatch, near my head.

 

“Baby, god, how are you? How do you feel? What do you remember?” His eyes raked over my form, I wondered what he was talking about.

 

After a few tries, my voice was a little steadier. “I’m sore, god, Logan I hurt. I haven’t hurt like this in… years.” I pause, trying desperately to remember. Men. A taser. He was on top of me. One had a collar… I reached up to grab my neck. I’m sure the relief was visible in my body language and scent when I found my neck bare.

 

“They had a collar, one said some awful things… What happened? Did you get them?”

 

He studied me for a long moment, I started to get antsy and a growl erupted from my throat. Suddenly he was in the back with me, practically lying on top of me, but not touching. His hands on either side of me, his eyes close to mine. “Marie.”

 

His voice was questioning, his nose skimming over me testing my scent as close to the source as you can get. He demanded my attention and my compliance. I rested my hands against his chest, arched my back, and glared. I bared my neck.

 

“What?”

 

“You don’t remember anything?” He was confused now, genuinely confused. When brows are furrowed he gets these adorable little lines in his forehead. Immediately my mood lightened, grew more compliant.

 

“No Logan, I don’t remember anything. Did someone hit me on the head? Did they hit me with some kind of dart?” I wriggled my wrists a bit and he immediately complied with my unspoken request. He moved off me, sitting next to me, one finger tracing my face while he stared into my eyes. His eyes are pools of tinted gold.

 

I could see him struggling within himself; smell the indecision pouring off of him. “Marie…” He paused gathered his thoughts around him, and looked seriously at me. Gently, quietly he pulled me upright to a sitting position and put an arm around my. His golden eyes bore into mine, sadness evident there. He didn’t want to tell me whatever he had to say.

 

“Marie, baby, whatever happened during that fight. It wasn’t your fault. The feral side of my nature, the one you’ve been saying is growing into it’s own personality, showed itself today. What were they doing to you? What did they say?”  

 

I became a little frantic then, hearing that. I knew what Logan was like in a berserker rage, though it had been a while since he’d went into one. I though for a second, rubbing a hand along my neck, then over to my right shoulder. His eyes followed my hands, as I spoke. The story spilling out of me.

 

“After that, nothing. Not until I woke up here. It’s like this weird whole in my brain, and if there’s anything I’m used to, it’s having extra memories, not missing ones.” I hadn’t realized what I’d said to him until the words were out of my mouth. Of all the stupid… “Logan, I’m sorry…” I nuzzled into his neck, and he pulled back a little, removing my jacket and shirt before slipping his own coat over my shoulders.

 

 He nuzzled my shoulder blade, laving it with his tongue, grazing his teeth over it before speaking. “It’s okay darlin’, I understand.” He’d went south and now sounded a little distracted, nuzzling my cleavage like he was. “I like you better when you smell like me,” he growled from their depths. I ran my hands through his hair, kneading his scalp for a moment.

 

“I know Logan,” I sighed before tugging on his hair to get him to look up at me. The color returned to his golden eyes as he looked into mine. I felt tired, confused, and more than a little horny from his attentions, but the tired and confused won out. “What happened?”

 

~*~*~*~

 

Thinking back, I’m glad he didn’t have Lillian beam a repeat performance directly into my brain. Before we’d set out on the road, she had to alter the soldier’s memories, leaving out any detail about the six of us, and creating a plausible enough encounter for the three men I’d killed.

 

Pain lanced through me at the thought, as I lay huddled up under the blanket, seat laid out flat. I should be sleeping, but I’m afraid. I don’t want to wake up someone else.

 

~*~*~*~

 

We’ve been here for 2 hours now, each tent is setup, and everyone is watching me warily. Vic won’t let Hazel anywhere near me, and Lillian and Eli are keeping their distance. Somehow, even though I’d expected some kind of isolation, I didn’t expect it to hurt so much. It’s happened again.

 

Four more times. Four more blank spots in my memories that I’ll never get back. Logan’s the only one who’s treating me close to normal, and he’s either acting like I’m gonna break, or igniting a fire in me that I can’t seem to control. I’ve been staring out at the beautiful view of Moraine Lake, across the water at the mountains for the last half hour. They said I jumped out of the moving truck, and tore off into the forest twice. Logan says that once I tried to jump him while he was driving, and he had to pull over to get me to stop. I had the decency to blush when he told me, even though he said all I’d acted and smelled was confused.

 

The last time I woke up screaming, clawing at the window. I remember parts of that one. The dream, and the waking up, then another blank spot. I could tell this was driving Logan insane, the inability not to know me like he always has. He’s wary, but not in the same sense as the others. He’s afraid I’m going to slip back into a berserker rage, (although he refuses to call them that, he says it’s the feral side fighting for dominance and that I need to make sure I stay dominant) and run off. Really that’s why Vic stayed behind while Logan’s out hunting. Instead he’s treating my like a traitor, I’m not even sure he’d chase me if I did take off.

 

So I’m down here, at the edge of the beach, as far from everyone as I can get while still being in sight. I’ve tried to talk to Lillian once, but she won’t let me get close enough before she asks me what I need inside my head. I slammed her own damn gates shut on her, and walked away. She knows what she did wrong. Bitch.

 

Eli won’t stop moving long enough for me to talk to him, he’s been collecting firewood. I’m not sure if his avoidance of me is intentional, but it’s working nonetheless.

 

Hazel keeps coming to talk to me, but Vic grabs her by the arms and they get into an argument so hushed that even my enhanced hearing can’t pick it up. It’s happened three times already, and she’s stopped trying.

 

There’s a part of me that revels in their fear but I stamp it down. These are my friends, the closest thing to family I’ve got. I don’t’ want them to be afraid of me; I want them to love me. The sound of Logan tromping through the trees carrying a carcass has my ears perking up, and I’m moving. I don’t care what Vic and the others think, I’ll be damned if I’m not going to pull my weight just because they’re being a bunch of pussies. I near the group and Vic sends me a look, Logan and I growl at the same time, but mines got a little more meaning to it, a little more menace, whereas Logan’s was a warning.

 

Hazel smiles at me, and Logan notices the interchange, as well as Lillian and Eli keeping their distance. He becomes tense and rigid, pissed again. I’m tempted to run off into the woods, of my own will and volition, but I know that’s childish and the only way to deal with this is to meet it face on.

 

“What the fuck is going on?” Logan beat me to it, so I stand back, tense and on alert. Determined to be around for this confrontation, I don’t want another blank spot.

 

Lillian was the first with the balls to say something. You gotta give her credit for that. She sent out these calming vibes, and Logan let out a growl. She knows better than to start fucking with the way people feel about things. “It’s not that we’re trying to cause any harm, it’s just that we’re afraid. What if she,” she alters her approach, appealing to me as well. “What if you- what if it happens again, and this time you attack one of us. We’re not like you, we don’t heal.”

 

My spine stiffens, and I feel actual physical pain at the realization that Lillian and Eli think I’d hurt them. Doesn’t she understand that I now everything about them? How they smell, sound, walk, talk. They could be whispering and I’d know it was them. I can tell how Eli sounds in super speed and know it’s him in enough time not to attack. Lillian could convince my brain she was someone else and my body would never believe her.

 

Vic must have seen the pain in my face because he spoke before I had the chance to. “That’s not how it works. You’ve been living with Marie for, what two and a half, three years now? If she sees you like family, then so does her feral side. You’d be members of the pack.” I grew just a little bit awed as his voice took on an annoyed tone. “Hell, while in a feral mindset she’d be more likely to do everything she could to protect you because she knows you’re weaker, than she would harm you. She hasn’t once attacked any of us. You saw what she did to Logan after the battle,” (I felt myself blush furiously from my forehead down to my toes,) “she definitely knows she’s his.”

 

Logan (the bastard) grunted his agreement and pinched my butt. Lillian wasn’t quite convinced, her insecurity permeated everyone’s thought process.

 

“You won’t let Hazel anywhere near her, so what does that mean?” It was actually Eli who’d made the comment; everyone was looking at him. Except for Vic, who was burning holes in the dirt with his eyes and Hazel, who was burning holes into Vic.

 

“That’s because he’s an insecure idiotic man who won’t even believe the truth when it comes out of his own mouth. He’s also too stubborn and bullheaded to admit that Marie’s position makes him feel as vulnerable and confused now as it did when he went though it.” Vic’s chocolate brown eyes snapped up to where Hazels darker ones were boring into his head, he met them only for a second before looking out over the water.

 

No one said anything. I was flabbergasted, confused, and downright annoyed at pretty much everyone around me at that exact moment. Also, a little overjoyed. I could sense the waves of fear and apprehension settling down around me.

 

After a few moments of the painful silence, Logan spoke. “Look. Eli, Lillian if you’re not comfortable here, you can get the fuck out. I’m not gonna have you acting this way. Just remember, if it weren’t for Marie, you’d still be out on that damn road all buy your fuckin’ lonesome running from the slave camps.” His eyes swerved toward Vic and Hazel. “You can go if you want too, but Marie needs your help. We need your help. There might be some experience, some story, some skill that I don’t know. Something that could really help.” He leveled his stare at each one of them and received a silent nod of understanding before complaining about the heavy carcass he’d just hunted down rotting at their feet.

 

We sectioned off and cooked each portion of meat separately, roasting and eating and saving. It was sectioned off and stored in each vehicle, locked and air sealed against animals. The remnants were buried a few hundred feet from the camp, to discourage scavengers and avoid discovery. Hunting was illegal in Banff National Park.

 

The night came quickly and I was exhausted. Apparently though, I wouldn’t get much sleep.

 

~*~*~*~

 

There are lots of smells, all of them comfortable. Woods, water, sand, Mate. Mine. I nuzzle in closer to his warmth, an ear right next to my face. I lick it. A mumble reached my ears, its unintelligible, hands searching. I bite it.

 

“Oh, baby,” ragged words ripped from a sleepy man. I trail my fingers up along his front, they tangle in hair. I hear a groan. That’s better. My mouth on his, biting sucking, lower lip. Another groan and hands on my hips. Tight grip. I growl, low. Grind.

 

“M’rie,” he mumbles. One hand reached up gripping the back of my head, pulling me down to kiss me hard. I growled low again as I reached below his belt, glad to find only skin waiting for me. He hissed and rolled me over, covering me completely, plundering my mouth.

 

“Marie, baby.” It doesn’t take him long to divest me of my clothes, I’m practically screaming when he does. Low keening wails, deep throaty growls and moans. I’m not amazed he know just how, perfect angles, drags it out just long enough. My breath is coming heavy, my fingers scrambling for purchase.

 

I push up on his shoulders and he rolls backwards, my knees still locked around his hips. We’re moving fast and hard, noise be damned. Why would he want to keep quiet anyway? My lips are tracing trails all over his chest when he sits up, pulling my mouth back to his. He groans and growls into my mouth, my body reacting with the proper response. I can feel the peak building, and when I tip over the edge, the howl that erupts from my throat is feral.

 

~*~*~*~

 

“Ugh,” I groan into the sweat covered chest beneath me. Logan’s breathing is ragged and I’m very aware of a shortness of breath that’s all my own. “Logan?” The scent in the air is very familiar and I blush just a little. He’s opened a quarter of each outside door of the tent to get a breeze going.

 

The rumble of a familiar chuckle vibrates my chest, and I find myself purring in contentment in return. Gingerly I test my body parts, every telltale sign of sex present. “Jesus, again? I can’t even get laid when I’m here to appreciate it.” I’ve sat up at some point and here I flopped backward on my pillow, the many blankets under us, although comfortable, will need washing again.

 

“Still don’t remember anything yet, huh?” He’s leaned over me, and he’s staring down at me. I met his eyes, the golden flashing in mischief, and think hard losing myself in their pools. Flashes, skin, touches, growls, and grunts.

 

“Mine.” I reply. He leaned in a little closer, staring me in my eyes. The ragged primal feeling takes hold once more, but instead of taking over completely, it nudges itself neatly into the corner. I’m well aware that it’s there, but it’s not intrusive, just whispering in my head a little, like the less annoying of the personalities I’ve ever taken in.

 

I wrapped one arm around his neck, sank my fingers through his hair and brought his face very close to mine. “You’re my mate. And you’re mine.” I kissed him, to let him know to sink that in. He growled back at me and kissed me harder. The sound vibrated up my chest into my mouth and back down again as it died out. One hands gripped me hip and the other went traveling to the holy lands. He ripped his mouth from mine, and pulled backwards a little bit.

 

“Forever mine,” he said, and proceeded to show me just how much I was his. I was begging and promising by the time he finished with his hands and his mouth.