Reunion


Thoughts about interrogating and mauling her disappeared soon enough, when two men, desperate survivors from some plague-ridden town nearby, attacked. They knocked him unconscious and took her with them. At first he was going to hunt them down for taking what was his, but at the last possible minute he decided otherwise. Maybe it was better this way. Good only knows what it would have done to him. He still had a special place in his heart for Marie. He wasn’t sure anymore if he would have been capable to mutilate the creature that wore her face. No. Better go on and leave her behind.

First time in nearly two weeks he caught a rabbit. He was contemplating weather to eat it raw or try to make a fire to cook it, when a scream alerted him. World spun wildly for a second, then he heard it again. Marie. Rabbit forgotten he tore towards the sound of her pleading voice. He found her near their last night’s campsite. It was Statue of Liberty all over again. She had already stopped screaming and hung limply in the ropes they had tied her to a tree. Two men sitting next to that tree didn’t even have the time to realize what happened. He decapitated both of them from behind with a careless swipe of his claws and hurried to her.

“Kid? Marie?” Voice calling her. Calling her name.
“Oh, shit. Kid, wake up. Wake up. Why the hell isn’t this working? Marie!” A slap to her cheek. Somebody’s shaking her now. Like a saltshaker, a thought pops in her mind and she giggles.
“Please… Turn it on, turn it on!” Turn what on? All she wants to do is to sleep for a while. It’s so cold. Who stole all the covers? She opens one eye carefully. Logan’s face hovers just few inches away from hers.
“Take me in, kid!” He growls, bare hands cupping her cheeks, and now she can smell the blood, and she remembers what happened, and she turns it on. Relief flickers briefly on his face, but soon it turns to a pained grimace.

Touch is brief, but it repairs the damage they did to her when they cut her open and tore out pieces to roast and eat. It fills her with a sense of immense joy and relief. He has found her. Marie. His little Marie. His life. His everything. His voice inside her head babbles her name and incoherent scraps of sentences. His hands around her, shivering and weak, his erratic breath rasping and wheezing. He is tired, so tired, but it doesn’t matter. He missed her so much, and now he isn’t going to let her go. Not now, not ever. He crawls inside of her, rubbing her scent all over him, and finally finds a small corner and tucks himself there to sleep, snoring slightly, satisfied smile tugging corners of his mouth.