Author's Chapter Notes:
like I promised a little more Logan Rogue interaction. Enjoy!
Logan and Rogue landed the jet in a vacant lot and switched on the stealth mode. Walking down the street they chatted easily about holiday plans in the mansion. To the casual observer they looked like a couple out on a walk or a pair of friends. Only those who looked closer saw the truth. They were friends but they were also comrades in arms. Veterans of a war they'd been born into.
Rogue pointed out the house they were staking out. "That's the place. We're gonna wait until the good reverend leaves then do a little B&E."
Logan chuckled and pointed to a bench. "We can sit there. It won't look to suspicious."
They sat and Logan slung his arm over the back. He folded his leg up over the opposite knee and sat watching traffic pass. About two hours passed and Rogue was starting to get antsy when the door opened and a tall thin gray looking man strode out. He was talking on a cell phone and looked pissed off. He locked the door and stalked down the street to a car. Once he'd driven off Rogue was on her feet and moving across the street, Logan close on her heels.
She knelt down in front of the knob and Logan shielded her from the street while she worked. In less than two minutes she'd picked the lock and had the door open. He locked the door behind them before looking around. The inside was clean, quiet and smelled like cleaning solutions. Logan looked around and took in the subdued interior. It was obvious to him that the pastor was a bachelor with only a few touches showing that there had been a woman in his life quite a long time ago. Rogue was moving through the house with a quick, silent step and Logan followed her. She made a beeline for a door in the kitchen and opened it to reveal a set of stairs leading to a basement. "What're you thinkin' Darlin'?"
"Basement or attic. It's the most logical choice for holding someone captive. If he ain't in either one we start looking for the kids room. Maybe he left some kinda clue as ta where he'd go." Rogue replied stalking down the steps.
The basement was a typical basement, bare bulb hanging from the ceiling, unfinished walls and ceiling. The whole basement was a single room with dark nooks and crannies. "Robert?" Rogue called softly. "Robert. We're friends of Morgan's."
Nothing. The room was quiet and after a few more minutes of silence Logan shook his head indicating to Rogue that he couldn't hear a heartbeat or breathing. She nodded and went back up to the kitchen. Rogue went back into the foyer and headed up the stairs. She peeked into the rooms on the way to the trapdoor leading up into the attic. She looked up at the attic door on the ceiling and shook her head. "Nope. He ain't up there."
Logan looked up at it and agreed, it had a layer of dust and cobwebs hanging from it indicating it hadn't been opened in a long time. Rogue moved off and started investigating the rooms. She found the kids room on her first try. Logan frowned looking around while Rogue started poking through the desk drawers. It struck him as way too clean, even for a kid who'd been supposedly kicked out or run off. Rogue huffed in irritation. "There ain't anything here sugar."
Logan was about to speak when he heard the door being unlocked. He pulled Rogue back against him and stood against the wall behind the door. They heard the pastor muttering something then another voice, younger more submissive. Suddenly the Pastor exploded into an angry tirade. "Just like your demon sister. Don't know why I though you could be saved you worthless Satan spawn. Get out of my sight." A resounding crack issued forth from the downstairs and Logan knew it to be the sound of flesh on flesh. The guy had hit the kid and it made Logan's blood boil.
They heard a set of heavy footsteps trudging up the stairs and Rogue eased out of Logan's arms. The kid opened the door and walked into the room. He shut the door behind him and started when he saw Rogue. Rogue clapped a hand over his mouth and shook her head. He nodded and she took her hand away. "Hey Robert. I'm Rogue. Morgan told you about me." She whispered.
He nodded and Logan got a good look at him. His hair was as dark as Morgans but poking through the thick growth was a pair of black horns growing at his temples. They looked ragged and the skin around them was swollen. Logan guessed that they'd been cut or filed down. The kids eyes were the same dark red as Morgan's and when the kid smiled he saw the sharp teeth. Privately Logan reflected that the intolerant ass down stairs had gotten just what he deserved. Two kids who looked like what he was most scared off. Up close the kid smelled like sulfur and Logan hazarded a guess at what the kids talent was. "You teleport don't ya?" He asked.
"Yeah." Robert replied looking surprised.
"So why haven't ya before?"
Robert winced and wouldn't look at him. Rogue raised an eyebrow at him. "We'll get into that later sugar. Right now we need to get outta here."
Logan nodded and went to the window. He noticed the sculpted juniper bush under the window and nodded. "We leave out the window."
He opened it and popped the screen out. Rogue nodded to him to jump out first. Then Robert jumped out landing in the juniper with no more than a crunching noise of breaking twigs. Rogue jumped out last and Logan moved to catch her earning a dark look from Robert which Logan ignored. They were just disappearing around the corner when they head the pastors voice yelling Roberts name. They started jogging down the street Rogue keeping Robert ahead of her. He seemed genuinely scared of the thin gray man behind them.
Rogue hurried him up into the jet and closed the hatch. As they were taking off Logan saw the gray face turn purple with rage and he smirked flipping the irate man the bird before they were out of sight. He looked over at the kid. "He gonna file a complaint?"
Robert shook his head looking sick. "He's been trying to 'rid me of the demon that stole my body' for the last two weeks. Ever since my horns grew in. He's so disgusted by me now though that he probably won't. He'll probably calm down and be relieved that I'm gone."
The kid sounded so dejected that Logan was moved to put a hand on his shoulder. Rogue spoke up. "We're taking you to live with us."
"At that school Morgan wrote about?" The kid perked up.
"Yeah." Logan replied. "You'll fit right in."
Chapter End Notes:
Please Review!