Story Notes:
Not angsty, but not a lot of funny in this one.
Author's Chapter Notes:
If you don't doubt whether you're going to a good mother at least once in your pregnancy, you're either not pregnant or a liar.
Logan took a swallow of his coffee, watching his wife over the rim of the mug. She'd been sort of nervous and jumpy all morning, even to the point that he'd had cajole her to eat her breakfast and take her prenatal vitamins. At the moment, she was twisting a strand of white hair around and around her finger, a slight frown marring her features as she stared out toward the window.

"You gonna tell me what's bothering you or should I guess?"

Rogue looked at him and sighed. "Ah don't even know where to start."

Reaching across the table, Logan took her hand in his, his thumb rubbing soothingly over her wedding band. "You know that whatever it is, I'll fix it." He paused and his lip curled. "And if I can't fix it, I'll beat the shit out of it."

Rogue laughed, shaking her head. "There's lotsa folks who'll tell ya violence never solved anything."

"Maybe not, but it makes ya feel a helluva lot better sometimes." Tugging gently on the hand he held, Logan pulled her into his lap. "Spill it, babe."

For several moments, Rogue just looked down at her hands, clenching and unclenching her fingers. "It's just that......what if......"

Running his hand down her arm , Logan waited. "What if what?"

Rogue's voice thickened with emotion. "What if I can't do this?"

A moment passed, the another. "Can't do what, darlin?"

Her hand waved broadly. "This. All of *this*. Logan, what if Ah'm not a good mother?" She laid her head on his shoulder. "Ah don't have anybody to ask about things. It's not like Ah can call my momma for help or advice. What if Ah don't do it right?"

"Marie, you're gonna be a great mother. You've got all the stuff a mother needs in spades."

She pulled back to look into his eyes. "Really?

Logan nodded and held up a finger. "You have lots of patience. Hell, I'd have killed Jubilee just for peace and quiet years ago but you never lose your temper with her."

A second finger went up. "You're smart and brave and don't give up on anything that matters to you. You even waited years for me to pull my head outta my ass to see you for what and who you are."

He caught her chin under his hand and looked straight into her brown eyes. "You have the biggest heart of any person I know. You care enough to love people a hundred percent, even when they don't deserve it. Or deserve you. I'm a pretty good example of that."

"Sugah, do ya really believe I can do it?"

He rested his chin on her head. "Nope. I *know* that, darlin. Now, go wipe your eyes and powder your nose or whatver it is you do so we aren't late for your appointment with Hank."


****************************************************************************************************************************************************

Half an hour later, Rogue had been weighed and measured. She'd chatted with Hank about increasing her iron intake and discussed safe exercises she could do to be in good shape for childbirth.

Now she lay on her back on an exam table, holding Logan's hand as Hank finished setting up his ultrasound equipment. "Ah love to hear the baby's heart beatin'. Wait til ya hear it, sugah, ya won't believe it."

Hank smiled at her benignly. "Ready, my dear?" At Rogue's nod, he applied a warm gel to her stomach then started moving the transducer. "Watch the screen now."

Logan squeezed Rogue's hand, marveling at the sight and sound of his child's heartbeat, at his limbs and organs as they appeared on the monitor. He looked up at Hank. "Look okay, Blue?"

Hank looked away from the screen and nodded. "It certainly does. That's a strong, healthy little person in there." He paused and reached onto the keyboard near him to punch something in. "Now, a special treat. We've just upgraded our ultrasound equipment to 3D image capability. Would you like to see your son a little better?"

Meeting his wife's eyes, he nodded. "You can do that?"

"Indeed. It will give you a three dimensional photo image of the baby. We can print it out for you so you can keep it. Shall we then?" Hank turned back to Rogue.

As he moved the transducer, he muttered "Come out, come out, little one." He stopped with a sound of triumph. "Logan, Rogue, here is your son."

The image came into focus as Rogue's breath caught and tears filled her eyes. "There he is......do you see how he looks like his daddy, Hank?" She laughed as she cried. "Do you see him, sugah?"

Logan was transfixed, unable to take his eyes away from the small face before him on the screen. He swallowed thickly against the emotion is his throat as his son lifted a perfect little hand to the side of own face. "Well, damn, look at that."

For the first time in his life, Logan fell in love at first sight. With his son.
Chapter End Notes:
Yesterday, today and always, feedback greatly appreciated