Author's Chapter Notes:
I would like to dedicate this to my jet lag which let me dream this story, and also to the song "You Must Love Me" from the soundtrack of Evita which inspired this little story. Without further ado...
I'm lying bloody and beaten in the main entrance to Xavier's school for the gifted. The blood from the wounds on my body pools around me. No one comes near me, no one would dare. Many are stunned into silence, others don't know what to do. The pain in my body is almost unbearable, but I am pretty sure I'll live. I see movement next to me and watch with fog-covered eyes as Scott and Remy move the dead body next to me. There had been a fight, I remember that much. Everything else is just a blur of action and hurting. I killed him, I know that. Whoever it was I had fought, I killed him. He was almost dead when I started to drain him so his presence in my mind is not very strong. Just the gentle sobbing of someone who has been defeated can be heard from the far, dark corners of my mind. Whoever he was, whether mutant or not, I don't sense any new powers, but then all I can sense is the pain and blood and tears. More movement.

This time in the crowd of people just watching me bleed. They're to afraid to touch me, even as I lay bleeding to death. I hear the growl before I see him. The crowd parts as he leaps to my side, ignoring the blood and my torn clothes exposing so much deadly skin.

"Jesus Christ, Marie, what happened?" he growls almost tenderly. Almost. Logan -- or should I say the Wolverine inside him -- would never let him be completely tender. But his voice is soothing. He's the only one brave (or stupid) enough to touch my broken and battered body. He pulls me to his chest, carefully avoiding dangerous contact.

"What did he do to you?" And I swear it sounded like this man-animal was close to tears. I stare into his eyes for a long time.

"I did more to him than he did to me. Who was he, Logan? Why did he attack me?" I see for a moment doubt in his eyes. Then he closes them and clenches his jaw. And I knew then why no one had approached me, trying to help me. I had killed one of my fellow students. I saw now the fear in all their eyes, the hate.

For a moment I think I see it in Logan's eyes as he strokes my hair. But only for a moment, I must have been mistaken. Logan sees now that I understand what has happened.

"Darlin', he attacked you first. He would have killed you if...if..." "If I hadn't used my powers to kill him first." A sob shudders out of my aching body. Oh god, oh god! What have I done? I can't stay here anymore. I have done too much damage, but I can't move. I am helpless and bleeding in Logan's strong arms. He stares into my eyes for a long moment. I am not sure what I see there. Love, hate, anger, sadness? What are you thinking, Logan?

But then he is laying me carefully on the floor. Laying my body back in my own blood. He gets up and walks through the crowd, who make way for him. Oh god, he's leaving me now. Leaving me pathetic and hurt. And now I cry. I cry for mutants, for humans, for everything I could have had if I was normal. But mostly I cry because Logan has left me. I probably cried for ten minutes before I saw the crowd shift again. Logan is back. He has a blanket and is wearing a jacket. I slowly notice the two bags on his back. Before I can think he has me wrapped in the blanket and picks my broken body off the ground. He walks to the front door and opens it. I bury my head against his chest. He stops suddenly. For a moment I don't know what he'll do next. He slowly turns back to the people who we have both called family. I gather enough strength to look at their faces. I was wrong before when I said I saw hate. They didn't hate me. I knew that now. Logan turns and walks out the door with me in his arms. He walks to the garage and goes to the Explorer parked there. He opens the back door and lays me gently on the seat. He pauses and looks into my eyes while stroking my hair.

"Just you and me now, Marie." He bends down and ever so quickly kisses my forehead. He throws our bags in the trunk and gets in front. We sit in silence for a long time before he actually started the car. No turning back now.

As we drove down the long driveway, away from the only home we had truly ever known, I can't watch. I close my eyes and cry knowing I will miss it but that this is the right choice for now. Logan knows it too and through the rear-view mirror I see a single tear slide down his face. So much unsaid between us. But we have time. I am not going to die, not while there is still breath in his body. He looks back and smiles as he sees me watching him.

"Sleep, darlin'," he says as I close my eyes to dream of what awaits us.



The crowd of students and teachers watch as the Explorer is driven away from the school. I can't help but wonder about the occupants of the car and where they'll go. I was stunned when I saw Rogue lying there covered in her blood. I couldn't move, couldn't act. Only Logan saved her. If he hadn't made a move she would have died. I feel ashamed for how we acted. I need a shower -- the filth of our actions is covering me.

"Miss Storm?" asks Kitty tentatively at my arm. There are tears in her eyes. But I can't help but chuckle inside at what she calls me.

"Yes, my dear?" I reply sadly, tears in my eyes as well.

"Where are they going?" Her eyes are begging me to know all the answers.

"Somewhere safe, Kitty...somewhere safe." I try to smile at her. I fail miserably. There is an eerie silence before Jubilee asks me the questions everyone else is afraid to ask.

"Will they...will they be back?"

"I don't know, dear. I don't know."

And that is all I can take. A sob bursts out of me and I take to the air flying in the opposite direction of my friends. And I just fly, till I come home and collapse on my bed from exhaustion. "I don't know," I whisper to the room.

But in my heart I hope.