Time passed and nothing new had happened out of the ordinary. No new information surfaced and Magneto kept to himself, wherever he might be. For some of the X-Men, it made them antsy waiting, but it was also nice to have a break from fighting. Unfortunately, for everyone it was not a good sign.

Valentine's Day was approaching next week. It fell on a Wednesday in the middle of the week. Yuck -- this meant no late nights out due to school the next day. Everyone was excited about pending dates and events except Rogue. She was getting the flu. And everyone avoided her in fear of catching it. No one would ask her now to be a Valentine's date. Coughing and sneezing isn't quite romantic or fun. She never, ever got sick but there she was in Logan's room. Why...why...

Katherine didn't want to get sick and insisted that Rogue get her own room, but none were available. Katherine had to bear the early stages, spraying Lysol disinfectant and staying out of the room except when sleeping. She loved Rogue but was afraid of catching it; who really wants to have the flu? Rain fresh, spring scent, lemon pine, tropical breezes, all the scents were making Rogue's stomach and sinuses even worse. She had to get out. Logan offered his room finally; after all, he had a wonderful immune system. So he allowed her to use his room while he took the couch in the living room to sleep on at night, hopeful it wouldn't be for too long.

Jean and Scott were leaving the upcoming Friday for their planned romantic ski trip in Colorado. They would have a wonderful time. Rogue never went skiing. She'd seen a lot of snow but never tried the sport. Felix and Storm would take over their classes. Rogue thought it must be nice to actually have a chance to take a break. No such luck being a student. Except maybe for summer time. They had a surprise outing planned for those not taking college classes. Several were working over the summer too. Not Rogue. Maybe, she thought, she could find a job that would be okay with her...gift.

Logan had been doing well with the morning exercises. Everyone had been able to keep up and they were up to four miles now. Afternoon training got better and better. Logan didn't point out so many faults for Rogue or anyone else. They were learning fast. Marie was doing better then he realized. Finally the groups were practicing fighting moves on each other, still the basic stuff. Several of her own friends weren't exactly excited about paring up with death-touch Rogue. Bobby and St. John, on the other hand, didn't have any problems with it. They were her closest friends and weren't worried at all that something could happen, even by accident.

Everyone was telling Rogue to take it easy recently; she looked pale and thinner then normal. Rogue wouldn't admit she was sick until she felt so bad and passed out due to lack of energy on a morning jog on Friday. Logan nearly had a heart attack, if he could get one. He panicked and ran Rogue to Jean down in the med lab after he couldn't wake her up. Jean had to hold back a panicked Logan so she could wake Rogue up. She grabbed smelling salts and waved them under Rogue's nose to wake her. She stirred, feeling queasy, and then threw up.

Logan only breathed a sigh of relief when she finally got up and around from the basement levels. She was instructed by Jean to go straight to bed. She hadn't felt well and didn't eat for a few days before that. Rogue hoped she would be up and out of bed soon. Not likely.

Jean and Scott wished her well on her health and headed out to have fun. Rogue just thought about the snowy slopes. They'd have a lot of fun while she stayed in and suffered. AAAHHHCCCHHHUUUU! She sneezed again and again. Ugh, she moaned and collapsed back into bed after the couple's goodbye.



Scott and Jean arrived Saturday to a small cabin at a ski resort lodge. It was cozy and romantic, perfect for the two of them. With more silence from Magneto, they took a phone for emergencies in case they were needed. Hopefully not. With all that was going on, they needed this break. They even invited John and Diana to come with them. Their friends needed some time away from home and to themselves, one that will help build new memories. They agreed to come with Jean and Scott and got a cabin at the lodge as well.

The next day the couples went skiing on the slopes. Scott and Jean enjoyed each other's company and both were fairly good skiers. They did the more difficult blue and black diamonds. John was a novice so Diana stayed with him to help him out with the terrors of the bunny slope.

On one of the harder courses Scott hit a ridge and went flying into a side pit. He couldn't get up and out. Jean took in the sight and laughed a bit before helping him. He was not amused but loved it when she laughed; just not at him. He was okay and loved to have Jean help him up and out of there -- his butt was starting to get cold. His feet were stuck and she leaned in and picked him up. She helped him brush off the snow and then they raced the rest of the way down with the cool wind in their hair.

They spent the evening relaxing in the sauna in their room, sipping champagne. Monday was about the same. Evenings they dined by themselves or with the Mareens in the formal dinning room.

Scott and Diana even spent one day together learning to snowboard. Both thought it was fun and picked it up easily. Jean wouldn't have anything to do with it. She and John spent the afternoon inside with some hot chocolate by the fire in the sky lodge. John needed to take a break. As a new skier his muscles were still sore from earlier bunny and beginner slope trials. He was worn out already.



Rogue spent her weekend and weekdays confined inside as the rest played in the snow outside. Snow fights, snow forts, snowmen, ice-skating, and she was stuck here. She'd poke her head out and watch them play if she had enough energy to make it to the window. If Logan or Storm caught her they'd yell and tell her to stay in bed.

Instead of a blanket of snow it was a never-ending supply of tissues, blankets and a trash can. Her friends did stop by on occasion for a quick hi, feel better and give her a get-well bouquet of flowers to lighten up the room. It could have been worse but Logan was there. He was being so nice to her. He wasn't afraid of catching anything from her. He was the only one that wouldn't fear anything about her. He brought her medicine, breakfast, lunch and dinner, if she could eat it. Her throat hurt to swallow, her stomach churned, and she lost her appetite. Nothing looked appealing. Most of the time she couldn't keep anything down. He tried to get her to eat even when she couldn't. The only thing she hated was that she just looked horrible. She was ugly and she didn't want him to look at her like this. Her nose was red and sore, voice terrible, stuffy and her eyes were red and itchy. Her hair wasn't that smooth and combed either. She wishes she could hide from the world.

Logan was a trooper. He even held her hair when her lunch just wouldn't stay down. She really didn't want him to see her like this. She was embarrassed. You don't exactly throw up to impress a guy you like. But he was a friend; no one else would be there for her.

His touch was gentle and sweet every time. It was the little things, like the way he brushed her hair back, rubbed her back or held her hand. He was just doing this as a friend but to her it meant so much more. Just being there with her made her feel a thousand times better. He kept her company, playing board games, talked to her, helped her keep up with home work and played cards with her. She also slept a lot. He'd give her medicine and she'd fall right to sleep. He'd clean up after her and check up on her a lot.

Logan hated seeing her sick like this. He just wanted to make sure she got better soon. He wanted to touch her and make her better but that wouldn't be right. It wasn't life or death. It would hurt her shoving his mind back into her head. He wouldn't do that to her ever again if he could help it. No more flooding her with his memories. So he'd make her comfortable as possible, keep her company. He wished he could take it away. His insides ripped apart every time she coughed or got sick or was aching with cold stiff pain. He'd sit there, wipe the hair away from her face as she slept. He cleaned up after her and didn't like that job though. No one else was willing to help him much but Storm.

So, that was Rogue's Valentine week so far. She felt so icky being sick. She hoped she'd be better soon.



Toad, Vamp and Plasma were almost done building a contraption for Magneto. It was almost finished. A few more parts and it would be ready to test it. Vamp was still working on the correct gene mutation sequencing that would hopefully work. He kept having problems; there was something he was missing. He just didn't know what. He did a lot of research and hated it. Except for that, everything was running smoothly. It was a good thing too -- that was just what Erik liked to hear. Xavier would not stop him. Not this time.



Skiing was a blast. Jean and Scott were enjoying this break so much. They took a day off for the health spa. Jean got a facial, body mask, and a massage and hit the sauna room. It was every woman's dream spa experience that rejuvenated the mind and body. Scott worked out, got a massage to undo his tense muscles and hit the sauna as well. Then one night they took a romantic sleigh ride together. Everything was perfect as they danced the night away in each other's arms. Jean and Scott felt like the world was all theirs. This was a long-needed vacation. Scott thanked Jean every night for this Christmas present. Nothing could have been better.



Rogue got to do homework. She tried to do it but it was so hard to concentrate when you're light-headed and drowsy. Logan came in to help her but in the end he insisted she rest and not do anymore. He hated to see her suffer. He liked the effect he had on her, though. She'd smile whenever he'd come and visit her and spend time with her. She hadn't been able to keep things down for three days except one or two crackers. She looked so fragile. He was delicate in his touches with her in fear that he might break her. Rogue's stomach was queasy; she was stuffy and had terrible headaches.

For Valentine's, everyone was going out on dates or with the single friends. She was staying right here. Bobby was taking out Kitty to this small Italian restaurant. Gambit, St. John, and Jubilee were going out together for dinner. Just simple burgers and a movie. Both the guys were sweet and going to pay for Jubilee's entire night out. She liked the sound of that. A fellow colleague asked Storm and she said yes. Rogue didn't have a Valentine friend this year. She'd never had a Valentine friend before coming here but afterwards one of the guys would always take her out, just as friends and they would have a blast. She just wanted someone to make her feel special. She just didn't want to be cooped up here any more. She was getting claustrophobic.

Logan came in that evening with dinner. She tried to eat for him but it just came back up. He'd hold her hair back. She was so embarrassed. She asked him to go but he wouldn't. He just brush her hair back and tell her it was okay. He didn't care how she looked but only about her getting well. Finally he brought her hot chocolate and medicine. He always gave her hot chocolate with it. It made it go down easier and didn't hurt her stomach.

Logan brought her some and he stayed with her. He lay down next to her and put his arms around her. He made her feel better then any medicine. After she went to sleep he cleaned up her room and tucked her into bed. He placed a surprise by her pillow that night for her when she woke up. Finally he slid out the door and went to bed himself.



Rogue woke up the next morning to find a dozen roses and a note by her bed. She felt a lot better today and these flowers made her even happier. She finally got enough energy to reach over and get the card. She really didn't know who they were from, but had about a 75 percent guess. It read, "Will you be my Valentine? Dinner tonight at eight?
L"

This was so sweet that she actually had to cry a few tears of joy. She had a Valentine friend.

She got many more Valentines and chocolates that day by all her friends popping in just enough to say hi, get well, bring her homework and say happy Valentine's Day to her. The idea of chocolates didn't turn her stomach anymore -- she even felt hungry for food. Not much but a bit. She hoped this dinner thing was not out somewhere; she definitely couldn't take that.

She stayed in bed for the day to save up energy for nighttime. Storm slipped in and brought her some lunch and more medicine to take. She realized she kept the toast and soup down. Her glow came back a bit as well. Logan was avoiding her that day to keep tonight a surprise and make sure it was extra special.

Before leaving, Storm opened the curtains and let some light in. Rogue did homework that afternoon since she was feeling better. She got up to shower and fix the room up from being messy. Finally she took a nap as well.



Scott and Jean planned out their whole night. He got her a dozen red roses for every year since the day he first saw her. They filled the room. He was taking her to the Crystal Ball Room for dinner, candles and dancing. It was romantic. Not since the night he proposed had they had such a wonderful evening together. Well...up until that barfight they had to break up. Diana and John also enjoyed the time to be together and take their minds off her disappearance and memory loss.

Jean looked Scott in the eyes; she was so lucky. He was handsome, heroic, intelligent, caring. Everything anyone, especially herself, would want in a man. Scott looked at Jean. She was an angel. She was smart, beautiful, caring, and had that wild side she kept just for him. He never understood how he got so lucky but thanked God everyday for the woman he woke up next to. He couldn't wait for the day they would be joined together forever as husband and wife.



Eight o'clock rolled around and a gentle shake woke up Rogue from her slumber. She awoke to Logan smiling at her.

"Happy Valentine's Day," he said.

"Happy Valentine's Day."

"So...will you be my Valentine?" He showed her a cute puppy-dog face look. She relished in the thought that she was the only one to see him like this. No hard exterior but just the real Logan. He didn't show this side to anyone but her. It was hers to enjoy.

"You know you don't even have to ask. Of course I would. If you don't mind me like this." She pointed to her crabby baggy nightgown and tuffled slept-on hair. She even had a few red marks on her face from the nap she took.

"I wouldn't have you any other way."

He brought more flowers and a meal in bed. He put some music on the CD player and set dinner in front of her. "You up to trying?"

"I ate lunch, you know."

"Yeah, Storm told me. Sounds like you're getting better."

"Don't jinx me, but it smells really good," she had to admit. She prayed her stomach would allow her one night, this one night with Logan and not get sick.

The starches, rice and potato, stayed down in small quantities. She dared not try anything else. They talked about the day, nothing much. He always filled her in on the stuff she missed. She enjoyed talking with him. He knew her and she knew him, there was no hiding anything. He got some videos to watch if she could stay up. She was filled with energy.

"I'm sorry for being sick."

"It happens. Just relax and have a nice evening."

He extended his hand for a dance. He played slow music and romantic songs that she loved, including their song "Crash And Burn" and a few other favorites. She felt it now. Earlier she had imagined it from the New Year's dance but it was here, she felt it.

He held her close and he didn't want to her to back away. His hand rubbing her back sent warm ripples through her. He danced with her for a while. He didn't want to end it.

Rogue was nervous. Was she supposed to return his gesture? She just left her hand on his back, afraid to move it like he did down her spine. It was a small touch but it felt wonderful. Occasionally he'd spin her and dipped her when they danced. She was having fun. Better then anyone else could be tonight.

Logan liked this. It felt a bit weird and he could tell she was nervous about dancing a bit with him so he made it fun. Spins, dips and twirls. Not too much. He tried to loosen her up and it worked. He liked the slow songs. He didn't want to lead Marie on or make in any way uncomfortable but he needed to hold her close. He didn't know why. He just did. He moved his hand slowly up and down her spine and shoulder blades. Finally their song ended. He smiled at her and kissed her on the top of her head where her hair protected him. She closed her eyes, feeling the lips through her hair, warm and soft.

She was a bit uncomfortable and pulled away. She wanted it but it also scared her a bit. Just a bit too fast. Her fear of hurting him still existed. Logan didn't want to ruin anything for her or hurt her in anyway. He noticed the uncomfortable moment and tried to break it.

It was time for a good flick. They settled in on the bed for a movie. Wovlie had to take a floor seat. Hot chocolate was made and a mix of romantic/action-adventure movies were chosen. They were Rogue's favorite. Finally she crashed after watching two of them. He wore her out for an evening of fun but didn't want to overdo it. She was on the up side of getting better; he didn't want to take that away.



The next day Rogue awoke and met Logan for lunch, as he was nice enough to bring it to her today instead of Storm. She ate a bit in silence before saying, "Thank you."

"For what?"

"For letting me have a fun Valentine's Day. I did enjoy it a lot even if I couldn't get out of the house."

"Just trying to help." He gave a Wolverine half grin that made her smile as well. He ruffled her hair a bit and then took her tray and stuff away, letting her get some rest. She looked a lot better. He had to go teach class this afternoon.



By Friday Rogue was up and around and feeling almost back to herself. She still didn't go to class but caught up on her work in the living room to get out of the stuffy bedroom. Logan was happy; he'd get his room back soon. Katherine deemed it okay for Rogue to move back in on Saturday. Logan thanked her sarcastically; he bowed saying, "Thank you, your highness." She gave him a scowl.

Xavier talked with Logan and after Valentine's Day he nicknamed Logan "the miracle cure." He didn't know if he was that but he hoped Xavier wouldn't spread that all around.

That weekend Rogue caught up on homework and was ready for Monday, even running in the morning. Logan washed his sheets and cleaned up his room. It was his again, finally. Not that he didn't mind Rogue using it; it was just nice to have a place to go where he could be totally alone.



Jean and Scott came back and were ready to get back into the swing of things on Monday. Classes to teach meetings, office hours, and little privacy. It wasn't the best but it sure made the little getaways even more special.