First day back into the swing of things at school and everything was going okay. Running with Logan was short -- only two miles. Scott, Jean, and Storm even got up for the challenge. The students were all baggy-eyed and sluggish. Logan hardly broke a sweat running but everyone else was drenched and panting event though it was freezing outside. Was this healthy for them? Wouldn't they catch cold? They'd never realized how out of shape they were.

Then the group went into stretching and push-ups in the gym. It felt like boot camp. Rogue didn't think she'd survive her first day. Was she really that unfit? No, she was just tired. She couldn't fall asleep last night so she'd only gotten about four hours. The rest of the gang was exhausted as well and wanted to go back sleep and not start in on classes. Unfortunately, that would not be the case. Coffee and Coke filled with caffeine was a common sight for the group for the rest of the day.

Afternoon was weightlifting and then boxing basics in the basement. Rogue knew all this so she slacked off a bit, but Logan would have none of that in his classroom. He caught onto her game and made sure she wouldn't do it again. He'd tell her to do it this way and that wasn't quiet right. He kept them all on their toes.

Rogue got somewhat mad at him for pointing out all her faults and hardly any from the other students. She felt like a failure even after she took all those classes. Every teacher has their way of doing things.

Logan knew she was mad at him. He could sense her frustration and aggression. He just wanted her to be the best. He'd apologize later if she'd forgive him. He could sense her bitterness grow every time he told her she was wrong. She almost felt like crying once. He noticed this and slacked off a bit. He hated hurting her but he wanted her to be perfect.

Rogue didn't know what he wanted from her, but she kept trying to please him and make him see how good she was. Apparently nothing worked. He must think she was terrible at this even after all the practice with Scott and her other lessons already.

Logan knew she'd learned different techniques from different teachers but now he wanted things his way. Always good to learn from two perspectives. Finally when it was over he went up to her after class. She wanted to avoid him.

"I'm sorry," he said.

She had to give him credit for that but just shrugged it off. "For what?"

Logan looked at her -- she knew for what. She was going to make him say it. "For being an ass today. I just wanted to push you to be the best, I'm sorry. You were great out there today." And he walked off to lunch.

She smiled but only after he turned away. Oh yeah...he thought she was doing great. His personality is what got in the way.



After lunch Jean got different news. She read through the paper and found an article about two scientists still missing. She hadn't heard anything about this and it captured her interest. She found out the article was about her friend Dr. Diana Mareen. The other scientist, Dr. Peter Feingold, she'd heard about and met once before at some function. This was unbelievable. She felt the urge to call Johnathan, Diana's husband. What he could be going through? Not knowing what happened, they just vanished. No trace of a struggle or anything taken. Just gone.

Jean knew Dr. Mareen from medical school. She remembered going to late-night parties with her and John. They'd often double-dated together. They kept in touch for so many years. She couldn't believe John hadn't called her. She would offer her condolences and any help she could give. They knew about her mutant powers, as well as Scott's. Jean would be willing to use them if he asked her to.

She dialed his number shaking, so unsure of what to say. She wanted to stay so composed but just broke down the instant John answered. She knew that her words were really meaningless to someone who was in pain.

They talked for well over an hour. He hadn't called, hoping that she would be back and it would all be over tomorrow and life would return to normal and be okay. Tomorrow came and then the next and then the next. He didn't really know what to say to Jean. He was so scared himself. He was afraid that if he didn't said it out loud then it really didn't happen. He broke down as well into an emotional wreck.

She got all the details from him. Johnathan asked if she and Scott would come out to visit him. He needed support right now from friends and help. She promised she could at least and eventually hung up the phone. She'd have to tell Xavier and Scott. She had to go -- this was her friend gone and her other friend hurting.

Scott came in right after she hung up. He noticed the tears that flowed down her face, uncertain what caused them. He ran to her and hugged her. He didn't know what was going on and didn't pry. He tried to dry his lover's tears away. She blurted out that Diane Mareen was missing. He was stunned. He remembered her. She had introduced Jean to him. It was because of her he found the love of his life.

Jean showed him the article and filled him in on what John told her. He was speechless and felt so helpless.

"I have to go Scott." Her eyes pleaded with his. His were understanding; she saw it easily.

"I know. I won't leave you. I'll be there too." He softly brushed the hair away from her face and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. That meant so much to her. She just kept on crying and even Scott's breath trembled at the though that Diana was in trouble and who knew what could have happened to her. He'd see if Xavier could find her.



Xavier believed Magneto was involved. He didn't know how or why but his gut feeling told him so. He tried with Cerebro to home in on his location or anyone else he could find. He had no luck with Magneto but did find Sabretooth and Plasma, maybe one other mutant as well. They were in a rundown shack in Michigan. Their minds were hard to read at a distance but they helped Xavier by letting their thoughts on the mission flow from their heads. Apparently they were slacking off from the mind-blocking lessons Magneto gave them. They were there to get supplies and destroy the chemical plant.

Xavier informed the X-Men what else was going on in that area besides the missing scientists. It strengthened the idea that Magneto was up to no good again. They agreed to try and stop the group. Sabretooth and the rest were finishing up their plans that night for the theft tomorrow so the X-Men would have to leave as soon as possible. Logan would come with them as well.



Logan went back to his room and found Rogue reading on his bed.

"Guess the lock needs fixing," he said jokingly. He didn't care if she was there or not.

"Sorry, I couldn't read in my room. Bobby and Kitty are there."

"Kitty?"

"Bobby's cutsie name for Katherine. She likes being called that now."

Logan shrugged. "Everybody's got their quirks."

She wondered if she had anything like that. Always hard to find the little annoying habits within yourself. You're so used to it so it's not out of the ordinary. She began tapping her pencil on her notebook while thinking over her quirks. It was just another distraction from homework. Logan had some but she loved them all.

Logan... The voice rang in his head.

"Do you have to do that?" he said out loud.

Rogue didn't know what she did but thought he was talking to her, maybe it was her pencil tapping. "Sorry. I'll leave if you want." She didn't want him to think of her as rude from always barging into his room. She started packing her things to go back to her room.

"What? No. Xavier. I hate it when he does that thing..."

Logan! he repeated.

"I'm coming!" he exclaimed. "Duty calls...stay as long as you like." He smiled and headed to the down elevator to the meeting room in the basement.

"Thanks," Rogue called out as he left.



He made his way down and into the office. "What's up?" he asked. The room was a bit stuffy but there were no windows in this office to open.

"We have a situation arising," Xavier stated.

Scott finished, "Two scientists went missing over New Year's. They worked for a Britsal Pharmaceutical Research Company out in Michigan."

"I thought Magneto might be involved and used Cerebro. I didn't find him..."

"But...we did find his cronies. Sabretooth and Plasma. There could be others as well. They're in an abandoned warehouse planning to steal some chemicals from Matrious Chemical Plant. They then plan to blow it up most likely to hide their tracks."

"We need to stop them," Storm added.

"So we suit up and be Superman, Spider-Man, and Wonder Woman for a day. Do we know anything else?" Logan asked. This was not enough to go on for him but he was willing to do anything to get back at old Sabretooth whenever he'd get the chance.

"Nothing more," Xavier said.

"I won't be joining you on this one. I have a friend to visit up there but you three should be able to handle it," Jean added.

"Sounds good to me." Logan was game for anything. It was better then the waiting game they've been playing. Finally they had the edge and the jump on them.

"We should catch them by surprise." Scott sounded reassuring.

They headed up and packed up the plane. Logan went to go say bye to Rogue. The newbies weren't coming on this adventure. They just weren't ready for it.



Shadow realized Magneto's plan was corrupted and went off to warn him after the pow-wow meeting in the basement was finally over. As Xavier left Shadow thought to himself, Better be prepared -- we'll be waiting for you!



Logan, Scott and Storm were dressed and ready in the black leather suits. Walking down the hall, the younger kids glared at Logan in awe.

Logan hated them staring at him. Isn't it their bedtime? he thought.

He went to his room expecting it to be open and slammed into the door. It was locked. He smelled Rogue in his room, though; her freesia perfume was still strong in the air. Not potent or overpowering, but just perfect for her. He just knew she was there.

She heard the slam and came to open the door. She smiled with a giggle, "I thought you wanted your door locked."

"Cute." He smirked. She noticed the leather suit.

"What's going on?" She asked interested and worried at the same time.

"Magneto's goonies are up to good."

She wasn't sure if she wanted details. "Is it dangerous?" she asked as she went back to doing homework on the bed.

"We'll do okay. We should get the drop on them. They don't even know where coming." He gathered a few odds and ends Scott wanted. She just looked at him for a while, taking in his face and body. He looked good in that suit. Last time he wore it blood was flowing from his open wounds; she didn't have time to admire him. It helped to define his shape; big and muscular. She was scared about them going out and fighting but knew he would come out okay. They all would...hopefully.

He looked at her for just a glance and saw everything he put on this suit for. No other reason but for that girl, scared and lonely on the side of the road. For that girl who ran, afraid of people, afraid of being different, afraid of being touched. He wanted to make that girl, now a young woman, have a world to live in free of that fear. And for the next mutant and the next born each day.

"Be careful," she whispered sincerely.

He came over and gave her a hug and said, "Always. I promise, I'll be back soon."

With that he left the room. Rogue went to get Wolvie from her room and slept in his room that night. She'd let Kitty and Bobby have her room to hang out in for the evening.

She could smell him in the covers and she imagined he was right here beside her.



"Call them immediately!" Magneto commanded Mystique. Shadow was of value now. He was worth the price he'd paid.

Mystique went to warn the three of their uninvited guests that would be arriving. "They'll walk right into a trap and then we can get these Xavier pests out of my way for good."



They landed the plane early in the morning and Jean took a taxi into Grand Rapids. She finally arrived at John's house and spent the day with him, doing her best to figure out what happened. She also went exploring around Dr. Feingold's home and the biomedical research company where the two worked. No connections came up at all in their research except maybe a deadly mix between their specialties.

The rest went out towards Traverse City to the chemical plant. They landed the plane, hidden in the boonies so no one would find it and hiked a ways to the industrial section. There were lots of factories around but finally found the chemical plant. No sign of the group. After a few hours they began to wonder if Xavier was right at all about Magneto's clan being there. Then a truck drove in and began picking up supplies from the loading dock.

"Look!" Storm whispered.

Scott took out the binoculars and saw a truck carefully loading up supplies. In the driver's seat was none other than Toad. He could tell that green skin wannabe amphibian anywhere.

"Toad's in the truck," Scott confirmed.

"So what are we waiting for?" Logan asked. He just wanted to go down and bust up the party and go home. How hard could it be?

"Not yet," Scott had to think of a way to get down there without being seen. Finally the morons gave him their chance. Toad and Plasma slipped inside the building to lay charges to explode the plant. After all, you don't know what's missing if you destroy everything else too. No sign of Sabretooth, though. Hopefully he was inside as well. Logan didn't want to miss him.



Magneto had told them that the X-Men would be watching them and waiting. Shadow had come out to Michigan to help the group. He went out and slithered the perimeter until he found them in the bush. He watched, as he does so well, and then returned to the docks and informed the group of their exact whereabouts. So they went inside; hopefully the X-geeks would follow and flow into their trap.



The kids gathered themselves up the next day with everyone else gone. Felix and Xavier filled in for the classes but no one could concentrate. They all wanted the low-down/411 on what was going on. Xavier gave in and told them. Rogue got a sick stomach feeling. She wasn't as reassured as the rest in victory. She knew the mutants they were up against. Nothing would ever be easy when Magneto was involved.

Bobby, Gambit and St. John talked about it all day. The guys went together and practiced boxing and weight-lifting even though Logan was gone. Rogue just hung out with the girls in the late afternoon. She snuggled back into her studies in Logan's room. She guessed she was so tired, she didn't even remember falling asleep. She even missed dinner.

Everyone was worried and they checked Logan's room first. Kitty was the chosen one. She slipped in and out quietly after Rogue didn't answer the door. She was sleeping, so Kitty didn't disturb her but made sure everything was fine.

Katherine kept her thoughts to herself. She thought it was cute how Rogue hung out in Woverine's room but didn't say a word to anyone else about it. Rogue admired him, cared about him...no, Katherine could honestly say Rogue loved him. Metal or not, she'd deck Logan if he ever hurt her friend, but she didn't think he ever really would.



"Let's go."

They carefully walked down the hillside to the loading dock. Each one being very careful.

"Stay alert." Scott didn't want to take any chances. The inside was dark but not pitch black. He could hear them talking just ahead.

Logan checked out the truck. All sorts of labels on boxes he didn't understand. Finally they went in to surprise the group head on...only to be taken by surprise themselves.

Plasma saw Logan coming first and hit him dead on with a short burst of heat from his hands. Normally that would cause third-degree burns on human flesh -- Logan's suit absorbed most of it but it hurt like a wrecking ball ran into him and then the sun fried off part of his skin. Thanks to his healing powers it didn't take too long to get back up. But it knocked him for a loop and stung like hell.

Toad took Cyclops, giving one or two slaps of the tongue across Scott's face. Scott couldn't even get close to him and Toad was too quick to blast with his laser eye. Scott was just getting flicked around like a kitten with a ball of yarn. Every now and then they'd exchange a few well-deserved kicks and throws but Toad would leap right back out of the match to safety.

Finally Sabretooth went after Storm. She hated this guy. He was a psycho freak. She knew she was no match for him physically so she ran. She conjured up some lighting as she flew from outside his reach. He saw it coming and dodged it, though.

They all danced around fighting in this factory housing chemicals and other dangerous ingredients. Logan didn't want to think about that. He was just trying to dodge Plasma's repeating heat blasts. He got fried one more time but had to be quick on his feet and ignore the pain to avoid another blast. He got in one good swipe with his claws across Plasma's chest before Logan tumbled out of the way of another heat shock. Logan only seemed to be able to throw a few things at this guy. He couldn't get too close to him or he would be cooked.

Scott finally dodged the whip-lashing tongue of Toad and saw Logan. They were paired all wrong and would have to do some creative switching. He wasn't going to let them dictate this fight. He adjusted his visor and aimed toward Plasma. He couldn't reach Sabretooth -- poor Storm was getting thrown like a rag doll every now and then by the big guy's paws when she couldn't fly fast enough out of his reach.

His blast knocked down Plasma. In doing so, Toad saw his chance and spit the green goop at Cyclops' face, covering his air passageways.

Logan saw the blast and just smiled at Plasma as it hit him square in the chest, knocking him down. Once free from fighting Barbeque Man, he ran to get payback from the big lumberjack. Sabretooth saw him coming and ignored the fallen Storm, who was trying to peel herself up from the ground. Logan really hated this guy. Both got in a few punches and throws; a slash or two. Logan was a quick healer and his strength was the only one to match the ape man.

Storm got up and created huge winds to blow away Toad, who was coming after her. Her wind force was strong but not too much as to blow all the equipment in the room away. She wasn't sure she wanted any of these chemicals to spill out all over the place or mixed together.

Toad finally shouted "Time to go..." after he checked his watch. Plasma got up slowly from being stunned and hobbled off. Sabretooth threw Logan across the room and left as well. Logan tried to run after them but they got away in the van. He slid his claws back into his hands.

"Logan!" he heard Storm yell. He ran to where Scott fell. They slouched over him and his slime-covered face. He needed air fast.

"Don't move." Logan retracted one of his claws and Scott stood very still as he cut the stuff away. He had to control himself from gasping at the first chance until Logan's talons were safely out of distance. He finally inhaled the sweet taste of oxygen.

"What the hell was that?" was Scott's first words.

"What? Like they were waiting for us?" Logan agreed.

"Yeah!" he yelled back.

Logan then honed in on his sense around him. He smelled it. Plastique. Like a trained dog he knew that smell and found the bomb that was planted. Fifteen seconds and counting down. Not enough to get out of the building in time.

They knew that too and that's why they left. This was all planned but how? The team would have to figure it out later. The bomb was more pressing at the time.

Ten seconds. Nine seconds.

"Cut the wire, Logan." Scott ordered him. He hesitated.

Eight seconds.

"You sure?" He raised his eyebrow. He didn't want to make a wrong move here. This was no game. He blew up, healing powers or not, he wasn't coming back together again.

Seven seconds.

"Either way, it doesn't matter now," Storm said, her voice shaky.

Five seconds.

He retracted his claws. "Here goes..."

Four seconds.

He sliced through. All eyes stared at the counter on the device.

It stopped with two seconds to go. Too close. They all released a breath they haddn't realize they were holding in.

"This just was luck -- it could have all gone wrong," Storm stated.



Scott did a quick recount that afternoon with the help of a plant employee of what was taken and figured the list might come in handy in trying to find out Magneto's motive. Scott was upset with himself. As a leader he should have been more careful; they should have stopped them. Magneto had won this round, but he'd be damned if he let him win another.

They picked up Jean that evening and flew back at night. They'd get back to New York late but both groups filled in each other in on the way home. Jean got so worried over what could have happened -- she felt guilty for not being there. She wanted to hold on to Scott and refuse to let go but he was flying the group home. So she stared at him with her eyes. They all were thinking the same thing. They had no clue what was going on. Hopefully Xavier could help them sort it all out.

Jean took time out from staring at her love to look at the list of missing items and ponder her own ideas on the way home. She also nursed up a few cuts and bruises of Storm's and checked out Logan though it was unnecessary. He had to smile the whole time Jean had her hands on him and One-Eye could do nothing but fly the plane and wonder what Logan was up to in the back. He didn't really care much anymore but loved to do it to get a rise out of Cyclops.

To think about it, the only thing he thought about was getting home to bed and to talk to Marie if she was up. Doubtful. She was just so easy to talk to about regular things and personal stuff most people didn't understand. No one would understand him ever, except Marie. He was inside her; for good and for bad.



After they got home all Logan wanted was to take a hot shower and go to bed. It was very late at night or early morning. He couldn't tell. They'd debrief after the sun came up. He moseyed into his room only to find a Goldilocks character sleeping in his bed. He was in a foul mood but even being pissed off at Sabretooth for getting away couldn't make him wake her up when she look so peaceful wrapped up with Wolvie, as she called her stuffed animal.

He carefully removed all the books and garbage from the bed and wrapped a blanket around her. He felt this urge to just slide in next to her, taking the place of Wolvie. He knew that wouldn't work; couldn't work. At least not now.

As she slept she seemed so perfect and content. He stared, probably a bit inappropriately but was hypnotized by her breathing. Finally he shook himself free of her and made himself a bed on the floor beside her. He then took a shower quietly and nestled beside her on the floor, content in her scent that floated in the air around him as he slept.



The next day he was up even before Rogue. She must have been dead to the world. He changed clothes and looked at her books on his desk. No wonder she was out like a light -- reading this philosophy crap would sedate a rabid elephant. He wasn't that quiet and she stirred. She wondered what time it was and realized she had class in five minutes. She rushed out of bed to make it and Logan intercepted.

"Relax, classes are postponed for a few hours. You were dead to the world so I figured I wouldn't wake and tell ya."

"Oh. Thanks." She moved slower now and gathered her things. She noticed the makeshift bed on the floor. "I'm sorry. You could have woken me to have your bed back. I guess I fell asleep reading."

"That's okay. You looked just too cute to wake up." He smiled and stared into her eyes.

She did as well. He called her cute. Not sexy but cute was a start...right? He actually said it. She blushed a bit. He liked it when he could make her smile like that.

Logan!

He threw up his head in response and hit it on a lamp. What a way to ruin a moment. "Ow! I wish he wouldn't do that."

Bring Rogue too, Xavier mentally added.

"The boss man wants to see both of us."

"What for?"

"How should I know? Let's not keep the great and powerful Xavier waiting."

Upon leaving Rogue looked at his disheveled room. "You know, you should really clean this place up," she added sarcastically. Most of it was her books and stuff thrown about. He didn't even acknowledge that with a response but walked with her downstairs his hand in hers.

He noticed her grip on his hand tighten. He didn't care if she interpreted his smiles and touches as flirting. He knew she liked him and was perhaps encouraging it. After all she was a part of him, connected to him. That's what made them close friends. Time had changed her figure and she looked really good too. Who cares if anyone else thought it might be wrong? He liked it.



The office smelled a bit musty again. Logan noticed but no one else ever seemed to care. The basement needed a better ventilation system. In front of them was an oak table and everyone else including St. John and Bobby were gathered around. The new members would be filled in on the situation but that was it for now. The more minds working on the problem, the greater chance of solving this riddle. Especially Rogue's, since Magneto was in there.

"Glad you could make it." Xavier smiled.

"Late as usual," Scott added for spite. Logan growled.

"Scott and Jean already informed me of yesterday's events, so let's recap. Two scientists go missing, one who specializes in gene and DNA research and another in molecular and cell biology. Also, chemicals were missing from the factory in Michigan. Toad, Sabretooth, and this Plasma were involved. Which means Magneto. Now what we need to figure out is what they are up to. Any ideas?"

"Gene mutation is a safe guess," Dr. Grey added her opinion, "...and cloning perhaps."

"Cloning?" Logan and Scott said at the same time.

Rogue kept her mind closed up till then. She didn't want to open that file with Erik's name on it in the back of her head. She didn't want to have to fight with what was back there yet she knew she had to do it anyway. She knew what he might be up to, it would help the team. She closed her eyes and reached back into her mind. She had to sort through all the rest of Erik's garbage and memories that forced their way out.

Xavier looked around and noticed Rogue. She looked deep in thought, Magneto's thoughts. This was no easy task for the youth but he knew she could handle it and it would help them.

"Rogue?" he asked. Everyone turned. She didn't hear him she was still searching and searching. Her eyes opened now.

"What is it?" Xavier asked again. Logan looked at her, worried.

"I thought about this before but it didn't make sense but I guess it would now. An idea he had also besides that...machine was...to clone people, and replace them with these clones that would be loyal to the Brotherhood as he calls it. He would also mutate the genes beforehand so the replacements would be mutants like us. It just sounded so far-fetched and sci-fi...and...stupid, I didn't think to tell anyone about it. I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to be sorry about." Storm smiled at her. Glances went up around the room.

"Who would he want to replace?" Scott finally asked the question everyone was thinking.

"That I don't know," Xavier said. "Any thoughts, Rogue?"

She shut the file and reorganized her own mind. She didn't have a clue. "No."

"I have another question." Logan's face turned stern. He was not happy and wanted to find an answer. "How did they know we were coming?"

"That's right. We got there and they were waiting for us to come to them," Scott added.

"A leak in the mansion?" Bobby asked curiously. It had happened before.

"Mystique?" Storm questioned. Rogue didn't like that possibility. Last time it nearly killed Xavier and her, plus got the team into serious danger.

"No, I haven't felt anything out of the ordinary."

"I haven't smelled Mystique with her scaly blue face around here," Logan reassured them.

"They could have found out another way," St. John said. "While you were on the way you could have been spotted, hit some trigger alarm."

"Possibly, but I wouldn't bet on that answer," Logan said.

"Just, everyone, keep your eyes and ears open," Xavier warned.

Lot of good that did last time, Logan thought to himself.

Not much else they could do. Magneto had these people and these supplies somewhere in the northeast United States again. Xavier knew that much. Other then that...they didn't know who the targets were or what they would do to stop him at this point. Just another waiting moment.

Scott hated this. He didn't like not having control. This, he had to admit, is where the advantage of having Logan on the team pays off. He was great in dealing with last-minute surprises.

They were dismissed and the students got ready for their late classes. One positive for Logan, he got to skip out on drivers' ed again. Felix took the class yesterday and it wasn't scheduled to meet today. He knew that guy was good for something.



Shadow stood in the dark room after they left. They were catching on to Magneto's plan and maybe him. Erik'd want to know about it. He slid out that night and retreated back to the Massachusetts' cliff lair. The plan to destroy them had almost worked, but that metal animal man had stopped it.

He got there in the late afternoon and Magneto called in a meeting. Everyone was there.

"Well then, at least Xavier doesn't know we're here." Anger consumed Magneto's voice. "You'll have to keep your mental blocks up more carefully or else everything we're working for will be lost!" He calmed down a bit, lowering his tone, "For now we will proceed as planned. Good work, Shadow. You're doing very well."

Mystique even smiled at him. He loved that. She was gorgeous. To be in Magneto's favor meant he was in her favor. She came to stand by his side. He looked her up and down as two other people were dragged in by Sabretooth. She leaned over to him and he put his hand on her back as he leaned in to hear what she had to say. She whispered and snapped, "Don't even think about it! You don't stand a chance in hell!"

Fire in her -- he liked it, and removed his hand from her back. Too late; he already had lots of thoughts about her.

Sabretooth strapped in the two scientists in the chairs and Vamp entered the room.

"There's the man of the hour," Magneto stated. It was time to begin his plan. "You may begin when ready." Everyone else was there to watch.

The two scientists were terrified of what was about to happen. Vamp went over to Dr. Feingold and placed his hands on the sides of his face. He concentrated. He forced his way into this mind and Dr. Feingold let out a scream. It felt like a drill ramming through his skull as Vamp searched out the information he needed. He didn't like taking anything more then what he wanted. The rest would be useless garbage that would clog his own mind. He found the doctor's memory and information about molecular biology. He really disliked science but the sacrifice was worth it. Boring stuff, but the knowledge could be deadly.

He tore the memories from the man's mind. Feingold was screaming as it felt like his brain was being sucked out through a straw. It was a painful experience. Finally it was done. Upon release the doctor collapsed in the chair.

Diana was in shock, not being able to comprehend what happened and knowing she was next. The bonds were too tight for her to break free and run. She stared at the mutant and his eyes.

Vamp took a moment to let his brain get used to the added knowledge. He had it all. School would have been a lot easier learning this way. He could have been a child genius. But like the rest of the mutant population, his mutation didn't hit till puberty, most of his schooling already over with.

Finally he approached Dr. Mareen and repeated the same steps with her -- drilling into her head and sucking out the memories and knowledge he wanted. She screamed in his ears and it drove him crazy at her high-pitched voice ringing, but then silenced as she collapsed as well. He staggered backwards a bit. So much new information. He began combining the ideas of the two. Magneto's plan could work and he now knew how to make it happen.

Toad interrupted him. "So what's going to happen to these two?"

"Vamp?" Magneto asked.

"I only took what was needed. They'll have selective memory loss. They won't know a proton from a chromosome when they wake up."

"Good." Erik smiled at his delightful progress. Everything was working. They would be successful. "Sabretooth. Toad. Get rid of these two. Send them home."

They would wake up at home just as they left, oblivious to what had happened to them...and no longer the world-renowned scientists they used to be.

"Shadow, return to the school and keep me informed."

"Yes sir." Shadow slid out and returned that evening to the mansion.



Xavier headed back to Cerebro. Why couldn't he find anyone? Where was he hiding? He couldn't give up his search. He tried again to locate Erik with no luck. It drained him trying so hard every day and Jean told him to relax. She even used Cerebro now and then. The waiting and waiting was just a killer for them all.

Finally Jean received a phone call about a week after. John came home and Diana was back sleeping on their bed. He didn't know what to make of it. She just reappeared and didn't remember a thing.

Jean and Scott flew back out to Michigan to find out what happened. Scott interviewed Peter Feingold. He remembered nothing. He also knew he was a scientist but remembered nothing about his professional life. He didn't know anything about molecular biology and cells. It was a blur. Scott didn't know what to make of this.

Jean visited the Mareens' and talked with Diana. She didn't remember much either. She'd blacked out in the living room and woke up here in bed having about a month gone by.

"Can you...can you see if there is anything there?" Diana asked nervously to Jean.

"I don't know..." She was hesitant to invade her friend's mind and slip into anything too private.

"Please...I need to know."

Jean turned from Diana to John, his eyes begging for help from her as well. John held on to his wife's hand and Jean gave in. She reached down and placed her hands on either side of her head. She closed her eyes and looked into her friend's mind. She saw up till she blacked out but she found nothing in there about it. It was as if those memories weren't suppressed but completely gone.

She searched and searched. For Diana it was weird having Jean in her mind poking around but she felt it was the only way she could find out what happened. It was her friend and she told her most everything anyway.

Jean looked through to her memories of book-learning research and found that her science knowledge was also gone. It wasn't hidden anywhere -- just gone. Funny; she was in college, the parties were there, hanging out in the dorms, but class lectures and knowledge? Gone.

Finally Jean relaxed her arms and opened her eyes. "I'm sorry. There's nothing there. They're not suppressed or hidden, but gone."

Diana accepted the loss as strongly as she could. She wanted to remember, she wanted her life back. There was a small part within her that didn't want to know what happened and afraid of what she'd find. Not knowing though was just as bad. The police had also questioned her earlier and she'd had nothing to tell them. She was scared. She didn't know anything about her work. All her knowledge on DNA and gene sequencing was a blur.

Jean offered as much comfort as possible but that was all. She'd keep them up to date if she found anything more. Finally she and Scott headed back to New York. Another dead-end. Someone had stolen the scientists' minds; their knowledge of science. A mutant took it was her guess. Magneto had to have more mutants working for him then they first thought.

But who???