Rogue sat in the library reading another book. She found solace in reading. She could let her mind wander somewhere else, avoiding the thoughts and emotions in her own head. She hated having the stories end. She wondered how her own life's next chapter would play out. She put the book down and walked around the mansion. It was late and she couldn't sleep. She was afraid of sleep now. Nightmares came to her almost every night. She had lost her appetite for about a week and not eaten much. Her hands would even shake in class. She was getting most of her energy from caffeine to keep herself awake during the day.

She walked unconsciously to the garden outside and lay in the grass. Then she finally fell asleep in the flowers, her cape as her blanket. Her body needed rest and her mind would have to deal with the dreams to come...

She watched the boy in the hospital bed surrounded by his parents. They are crying over their son. Then the mother looks up at her with tears.

"Why did you do this to him. What did he do to you?" she sobs.

The father angrily steps in, "I think you've done enough, mutant. Don't you ever come near my son again."

He shoves her out of the room harshly and she watches as Cody just lay there, lifeless, in a coma, and the hateful look given by his father. She turns and runs. In running she caught her foot and fell into a pool of some sorts. Tubes were attached to her and she was getting tangled in them. She was drowning, not knowing which way was up. Pain shot through her body as she tried to scream. She looked to the surface of the water and there was Aaron holding her down.

"How does it feel to be trapped, feeling your life slip out of your hands?!" Aaron screamed at her. She couldn't reach up for air, her body in pain as electricity shot through her...

...and then she woke up in the grass with a scream. There was Gambit trying to wake her up for class. Her hands came up flying from the nightmare and she punched Gambit hard in the face.

"Remy, I'm sorry. I didn't know it was you."

"That's okay," he reassured her as he sat up. "It will heal. What are you doing out here?"

"I couldn't sleep so I went for a walk and I guess I was too tired to make it back to my bed."

"Well, flower child, you missed English but Physics is in fifteen minutes. Come on."

He helped her up and she ran to get her books. Scott wouldn't like her missing class. He'd want to know why. Overslept -- that was a simple, real excuse. She just hoped he'd buy it.

She went to class, unshowered and grass still in her hair. Professor Xavier looked at her with curiosity. But started class.

Afterwards Rogue skipped lunch again. She wasn't in the mood to eat, no matter what her stomach told her. She also wanted to avoid a teacher conflict but it didn't work.

"Rogue!" she heard Scott shout. "Can I have a word with you?"

"Be right there," she fake-smiled. She would get it now. Her body felt so aged walking down the hall so she cheated and glided across the marble floors. Coffee...she needed coffee. She followed him into one of the common study rooms. He shut the door. He was always so calm and collected. He got right to the point, harsh sometimes but always fair.

"You want to sit?" he offered. Rogue took a seat and Scott sat across from her. Two cups of coffee sat on the table. "I think you need this." He offered her a cup. It warmed her on the inside, providing calm to her shaking hands.

"Has something been bothering you, Rogue?" he asked looking concerned. "I heard you camped out last night."

She didn't want to discuss it with him. "I just couldn't sleep."

"You should cut back on the caffeine, that might help." He tried to be realistic.

"Yeah, I probably should." She avoided eye contact and Scott picked up on this.

"You hungry?"

Famished is what she wanted to say but she felt that if she ate, it would just come right back up. "No thank you. Is there something you wanted or can I go?"

Scott stared at her, wanting to crack her open. Rogue, not getting a response, got up to leave.

"I'm not finished," he said sternly.

Rogue sat back down in defeat.

"I think you have potential, Rogue. Come with me."

He got up and Rogue followed. They got into the elevator and went down to the basement lair of the mansion. Finally they entered a room, nothing in it but the cold silver walls.

"What are we doing here?" Rogue asked.

"I have a project for you. First put this on." He tossed her an X-Men uniform and showed her to a room to dress; when she got out he was in his uniform. For her, the suit felt good, like it was meant for her. Scott began his lecturing again.

"In the future the X-Men will need leaders. I see you being one of those leaders."

"Me? Why me?" Leading was far from her mind. She wanted to be an X-Man but she couldn't control her self, let alone be given any responsibilities for others.

"You might have potential."

"I don't get it. Is this some form of punishment for missing class?" she wondered.

All Scott did was laugh at that statement.

This was the only way Scott could think of to get Rogue to change, fix herself on the inside and out. He believed she could be an X-Man but needed to work on her own emotional strength first. This was his way of doing it, not Jean's or the Professor's way.

"No, Rogue, this isn't punishment. Now pay attention. To be a leader you need four things: emotional control, clear mental thinking, physical control, and passion. You have to be able to think your way out of situations, physical ability to deal with situations, emotional control to focus on the task at hand, and you have to care. About yourself, teammates, and the mission -- know and understand them."

Rogue was lost in what he was saying but tried to pay attention. Was he losing it?

"I think you need a lot of work on emotional control. I have a few projects for you to work on to test your logical thinking. I know you care about your friends and teammates. You can use them for their benefits and work together with them when it counts. I've seen that in class. As for physical, that is why I brought you hear today. Your first lesson."

She didn't get it. She wanted to walk out of this room. She felt light-headed and nothing Scott was saying made sense. She zoned out.

"For peak emotional and physical condition you need to eat, sleep and work out. You haven't been doing much of that lately. So I want to see how well you handle yourself in a fight. No powers, just you and me. I want to see all those martial arts and kick-boxing lessons you've been taking come to life. Maybe you can teach me something."

He'd lost it. He wanted to fight her. This was stupid. She kept those opinions to herself but she didn't want to hurt him or have him kick her butt either.

To Scott, it was the only thing he could do. He'd rather have Rogue beat up on him then on herself inside. She had emotions vent up and this was one way to release them.

"You're joking, right."

"No joke." He adjusted his gloves. "If you don't want to start, I will."

He dropped his foot and swung it around, and Rogue fell back flat on the floor. Rogue was stunned as her head slammed into the floor. He'd beat the crap out of her for love right now. He wanted her to fight him, to hit something other then just do nothing. He wanted her to have an emotional explosion. He just prayed she didn't sit there. He wouldn't fight her if she really didn't want to fight him back.

He wasn't joking around, Rogue realized.

She didn't disappoint him.

She jumped back up and kicked him in the groin. He wasn't expecting that one and flinched back in pain. She then got up and proceeded to fight him. She let the Wolverine within come out and his emotions showed no mercy, especially since it was Scott. It was Wolverine's dream come true. She got in one or two punches and kicks. Scott admitted that he'd made an error. He didn't need to be lenient on her. She was cleaning his clock. He got in on or two gut shots himself and one to the face. He felt kind of bad about that one. Rogue went to hit him and the visor he wore stopped her fist cold. She winced in pain.

Finally after about a half-hour of fighting he helped her up from the last kick in the stomach. "Are we done?" he asked, out of breath and beaten himself.

"I'm hungry," was her only reply.

"Then I say we're done." He helped her up. She smiled he returned the favor and they shook hands. "You proved me wrong, Rogue."

"You don't look so good there, Scott." She smiled. Rogue thought this was fun and it was great to finally have a person to practice what she had been learning on. It was easier then just trying to pick a fight with a stranger. Both walked away beaten -- and friends.

She went to eat lunch and devoured it. She had never been so hungry before. He followed to eat as well. He was glad she got something into her stomach. She slept like she never slept before; no nightmares came and she woke up refreshed and had a black eye thanks to Scott. She didn't mind, though. For whatever reason, fighting him released this energy she kept inside of her. She never verbally expressed her feelings but this boxing match lifted a great weight off of her.

Scott woke up with a swollen jaw. It didn't go unnoticed to Jean as she came back from the kitchen with breakfast. "What the hell happened to you?"

"I'm working on something with Rogue."

"What, trying to beat each other to a pulp?!"

"No. Sometimes people need to talk to solve their problems like you, but it wasn't working with Rogue. So I'm trying something a little different. Motivational therapy."

Jean didn't like the sound of that. He explained part of what he had planned for her. It was a risky idea but it could also work. She had her doubts.

"Be careful, Scott. I don't like this. I think more harm will come then good. You gave her a black eye, for crying out loud. You don't beat up on your students." Jean was not happy, she didn't think Scott should be playing with Rogue like this. He didn't care.

"Just, you have to trust me."

They left it at that.



Scott noticed her difference in class. He had to smile at his first bit of success. She was awake and even answered questions instead of falling asleep. After class he called her forward. "Rogue, can you stay for a moment?"

She moved up front. "Nice shiner," he added.

She looked at his face. "Still smaller then yours, wussy man." She slapped her hand over her mouth. That was not exactly what she wanted to come out. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Scott added. They both laughed about it. SHE laughed. He handed her a piece of paper. "Your first puzzle. I'd like the answer on my desk tomorrow before class."

She looked it over. It was one of those mind, logical puzzles. She liked these but wasn't always the best at them. She walked out and headed to the next lesson of the day.

That evening she finished all her other work and sat down with the puzzle. It wasn't that hard. About a half-hour later it was done.

Over the week each logic puzzle got harder. One would take her a half-hour, the next about an hour, the next almost two. Finally Saturday came and he gave her another puzzle. She worked on it for over two hours Saturday morning and was getting very frustrated.

Rogue thought to herself, This is stupid. What does this show anyway? I'm smart and I don't think this has an answer. It was driving her crazy that she couldn't figure it out. She broke her pencil in frustration. As if he knew, Scott came in and asked her if she wanted to practice some more down in the basement levels. She would love to. Time to kick the crap out of him for this stupid logic puzzle.

They went down and this time for about an hour. He taught her a few new moves and practiced more instead of straight out fighting but in the end, it was a free-for-all. Victory for neither, it was still a tie.

They enjoyed lunch and Rogue showered and changed. She set the puzzle aside for the afternoon and decided to play foozball and then volleyball outside. Energy was flowing through her.

Jean peeked out the window and saw Rogue acting with the other kids in sports. She normally just sat off to the side. She heard Scott walk in behind her. "What did you do?"

Scott had to smile. His plan was working. "Simple: you give her other things to occupy her mind, she stops focusing on the negatives in her life. Most likely," he joins her at the window, "she couldn't take the puzzle and now decided to try something new. If she's alone, she can only think of that puzzle, driving her crazy that's my guess, so in turn she becomes active."

Jean looked at him. They'd had another boxing match, Scott's lip was cut and sore. "We will see..." Jean said.



That night she sat off to the side of the pool as her friends were enjoying a night swim. She would be inside but the nighttime stars were her friends and she wanted to be with them. The puzzle sat on her lap. She stared and stared yet no solution presented itself. She actually screamed, startling her friends. "Sorry," she comforted their fears.

Katherine came up wrapped in a towel. "What you got there?"

"An assignment from Scott. It's a logic puzzle. I have to figure it out by Monday. I am stumped."

"Let me see."

"That would be cheating if you helped me."

"Who would know?" She took it and read the paper. "This is a tough one." Katherine grabbed the pencil from Rogue's hands and sat back on the chair with it. She doodled around a bit and then it hit her.

"Hey, if you move this here and take that piece there, yep...the first part gets done."

Rogue watched. She was so stupid. It was right there and she couldn't see it. "Oh, how could I have missed that?"

"Relax -- staring at these things long enough everything jumbles into on big mess. That's their purpose, you
know."

The second part was still unresolved and Katherine couldn't get it. After an hour of looking over it Rogue caught something. She grabbed the pencil and finished it, or so she thought.

"Check this. Does it work?" Rogue asked. Katherine looked it over.

"Yep, I think so. Good job."

"Thanks for your help," Rogue added.

"Not a problem and I won't tell a soul." She smiled and buttoned her lip.

She didn't have to. Scott came for a swim and noticed the two. She was doing exactly what he wanted her to, only she thought it was illegal. Didn't she remember what he'd said? Use your teammates, know their strengths and weaknesses.



Sunday came and she turned it in early, hoping to rid her room of the stupid logic puzzle. To her dismay, he gave her another one for Monday.

"What!"

"On my desk Monday. You solved that one quick enough, you shouldn't have a problem with this one." He smiled and walked on off.

The last one took her well over a day of mind-numbing work; she'd wanted to enjoy her Sunday but not anymore. She should tell him she wasn't cut out for this. She was afraid he wouldn't think her worthy of being an X-Man. That thought scared her. Only a few got to be an X-Man, and she wanted to be one of them.

She sat in her room that afternoon when Gambit and Bobby came in with Jubilee. They were coming to get
her and Katherine for a planned exploring trip in the woods. They came in and found the two on Rogue's bed sitting over the logic puzzle.

"I can't believe he gave you another one of these. He is so mean!" Katherine added, reading the page-long question. "This has to be ten times harder then the last one."

"What you girls doin'?" Gambit asked, leaning up against the dresser.

"Sorry, guys, can't go out with you. Today I got an assignment from Professor Summers due Monday on his desk before class."

"He can't do that! Can he?" Jubilee asked.

"Well, you want to come, Katherine?" Gambit asked.

"Sorry, once I read these things I can't do anything but think about them till I get the answer. They're like a bad song that won't go away. I'm gonna stay here and help Rogue."

"We can all help, then we can go out," Bobby added. He ran over and pounced on the bed.

"Get off the paper, stupid!" Katherine screamed.

They all gathered around and looked at the assignment. "You guys, this is so wrong. You should go out and not do my work for me," Rogue protested.

"A -- we aren't leaving you to sit and mope in here with this thing alone and B -- we aren't going to do it for you, but we can help," Bobby said with a smile.

"The more minds in a logic puzzle, the better." Katherine smiled excitedly, hoping to solve it before her brain exploded.

Knowing they would be there a while, Katherine got up and raided the kitchen for popcorn and soda for the troops. Afternoon flew into nighttime. They laughed and joked around a bit as well. Rogue lit up like never before; she was enjoying herself with her friends, something she hadn't done in a long while. She allowed them to get a little bit closer to her -- not too much, though. The only person she ever wanted to be close to was Logan. He would be the only one to know her, unlike anyone else.

A few parts of the puzzle were done and they just had to find the connecting piece. Everyone offered suggests, each completely different and each one Rogue didn't think of. Finally it hit her. She solved the last main link to the logic puzzle.

"See, more minds the better," Gambit agreed.

"Yours only counts for half a one," Bobby joked.

"You guys, that took us eight hours to do!" Katherine couldn't believe how the time flew by so. It was exhausting work.

"Thanks, guys. I don't know what to say." Rogue was grateful for them.

"Just say nothing. It's been fun." Katherine smiled.

They got up and headed to the mess for a late dinner and then to bed. Again, Rogue slept soundly. Her mind was tired and, this night, only pleasant dreams came to her.



The next day everyone was in class and she handed it to him.

"Wow, you are amazing. I honestly didn't think you would have that finished today. You are surpassing my expectations. I have another one for you, Wednesday please."

He started class and Rogue didn't even want look at the puzzle till night.

Scott knew about the late-night session with everyone helping out. She was doing just fine.



That evening, everyone gathered to help her again. This puzzle was involving them and their mutant gifts. This was a twist. It involved how they all could use their powers to solve a situation. So together they came up with many off-the-wall ideas and a few solid solutions. It called for the best one.

"What do you mean, the best one? That's an objective question. Someone's best answer may not be another's," Katherine complained.

"This isn't fair," Jubilee added.

"Why is he making you do these stupid things?" Bobby asked.

"HE says I have leadership potential and wants to assess my mental thinking," Rogue said tiredly.

"That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of," Gambit protested.

They all went to bed and the next day was normal for Rogue. She did nothing new and acted like her old self. These things were tiring her mind. It made Scott a bit worried. That evening she went to his office.

"Come in."

"Scott, I have a problem with this assignment."

"Really, sit down. Tell me about it."

"I don't understand what you want. It says the best solution but there is more then one answer."

"Yep," that's all he said.

"So...how can I get the right answer? I don't get it."

"There is no right answer to that question. The best solution is the one you think will work the best. It may not be what I want or what anyone else wants. It is just to see what you would do, how you would handle this crisis. Nothing more, nothing less."

"Okay," she added. She felt stupid. She was cheating and not doing these assignments on her own mental thinking. "I don't think I can really do this, Professor."

"I have faith in you, Rogue. I've seen you solve these logic problems. You work like a leader, a team leader." He added that last part with emphasis. He smiled. Did he know she didn't solve those problems by herself but with help? Is that what he was looking for?

She handed him the last question, "I finished this, then."

He looked over it and smiled with a nod. "Very impressive. I wouldn't of thought of this answer. Not my first choice at all but again, I'm not you. I like it. Good work."

She felt better. He liked her idea and it made sense to him.

"I have three more of these if you want them, or you can quit now."

She didn't want to be a quitter. She would take his challenge and prove to him she was an X-Man. "No, I'll do 'em," she said confidently.

He handed her another one. She didn't read it but then left. He was looking forward to this weekend and task number thre. He should probably tell Professor Xavier, Storm and Jean...but no, he wanted to see their reaction as much as the kids.

Rogue went to sleep knowing that she had done the problem right. She couldn't have slept if she had to worry over whether or not her solution was the right one. Knowing now that the best answer is her own opinion made the future problems seem easier to solve.



The next problem was like the one before. The group looked it over and assessed what they would do. Sometimes the ideas wouldn't work and they'd have to try again. Finally they came up with a solution but it wasn't perfect. There were flaws but it was the best answer she had.

"I don't think this is a best answer," Gambit added.

Rogue said, "Let's face it, someone's gonna get hurt in this exercise." She had to decide who would it be from the solutions created. The guys were being macho brats saying they'd take one for the team. Then it clicked. She sort of understood what Scott was doing with this question.

"That low down, sneaky bastard!" she shouted.

Everyone looked in shock.

"I can't believe he did this!"

"What you takin' 'bout, darlin'?" Gambit questioned.

"Don't worry about it," Rogue sighed.

"I can't wait to see the next project." Katherine was enjoying these mind games and problems.

"We, I have to finish this one first." Rogue said to calm Katherine's excitement.

"So who's going out of commission, who would you pick?" Bobby looked at her. It was a tough choice to make -- he already knew who she'd pick. Herself. That was the easiest question of her life.

She wrote down the final solution to everyone's protest -- Bobby was right. She'd put herself in harm's way and let the rest of the team finish the project.

"You're very noble," Katherine added with a tear.

"Relax, Katherine, it's just a game," Jubilee assured her.



Thursday rolled around and she turned in her assignment. Scott didn't read it right there. He himself knew what was on the paper and handed her another sheet. "I need that by five."

"Today!"

"Today. Better hurry. You haven't much time. Time is not always unlimited in situations."

After devouring lunch again they sat in the room, reading the second situation. They came up with their solution in about two hours. It was almost five. In this situation two people were at a loss -- one would be totally eliminated. Neither was Rogue's character in this situation. A "save one but the other falls" sort of thing.

"This is ridiculous. How can this ever happen? I'd protest on the grounds that this situation is entirely false," Gambit complained.

Bobby, Rogue and Katherine knew that this might very well happen; after all, it did at the Statue of Liberty. A choice had to be made there. Someone had to risk potentially killing someone in order to save another, to save their Rogue. So the final choice had to be hers. Which one would die? Jubilee said not to kill her please. She wasn't taking this seriously at all.

Gambit was the other choice. Bobby saw the look of seriousness in Rogue's eyes over this piece of paper. For a leader that had to be the worst decision to make.

Gambit made the choice for her. "I'd rather you save Jubilee then me."

Then Jubilee looked at Gambit. "Would you really do that for me?"

"Of course, sugar." He smiled at her and turned to Rogue. "I don't think I could ever let anyone make that kind of decision, so I'd make it for myself. In a way, you have no control over it."

He was right. She put that down as her final solution to the problem.

"This is so depressing!" Katherine was bawling and hugging Gambit. Rogue and everyone else knew this question could be serious but had to laugh at Katherine's antics. She was hysterical in tears over the death of Gambit.

"It's not funny," she said as she tried to wipe the tears from her eyes.

It was almost five. She had to run to make it and just barely did. She entered the door as five struck on the old grandfather clock.

"Just in time," Scott said.

She handed him the sheet. He read over her answer. "I knew what you would say in the last question, this one is a total surprise. Why did you pick saving Jubilee over Gambit?"

Here it comes. She had to tell him. She suspected he knew but this is the moment of truth. "I didn't. He picked it for himself."

"Good man to have on the team. So, you worked with him to solve this problem?"

"Yeah, I worked with everyone."

"Good. I was hoping you would. That was the whole point to these exercises and mind games."

"I had a feeling."

"Enlighten me. Tell me then what you learned from this."

"To be a leader you can't be a loner, you have a team that depends on you and you can count on them. You learn about your team so you can then anticipate their reactions and behavior. Also, everyone sees things differently and together, only together, does the solution get discovered."

She hit it on the nose. "You got it."

"I know what else you did, and thank you."

"What?"

"Let's face it. I am, I was the farthest thing from a leader you could get. You allowed me to have fun with my friends again. I sometimes forget what that's like. I don't always have to be on the outside, looking in. Thanks for that."

"You're welcome. You're not getting out of task three, though."

She'd almost forgot about that. "What is it?"

"Find this." He handed her a picture of a statue of sorts. "I want it by noon Sunday."

This was a challenging task? "It's on the mansion grounds, right?"

"Just find it." He smiled then added, "Oh, are still up for some one-on-one Saturday?"

"Yeah. I have a new karate move I want to try out, actually."

"Hopefully it's not too painful." They smiled at each other. "Now get out of here."

She exitsed the room, excited about this next event. Everyone said they'd help her so she flew down the hall in excitement. This was so easy but she knew there had to be a catch somewhere.

She rallied the troops that evening to work out a plan.

"All we have to do is find this. I can handle that." Gambit sounded reassuring.

"I think I've seen that somewhere before," Bobby added.

"My idea is that tomorrow during class, we search the rooms we're in. Afterwards, divide up the house and search for it," Rogue said.

"Fine with me," Katherine said.

They divided up the house. Bobby would go outside and hit the garage as well, Gambit had the other classrooms and dorm rooms, Katherine the professor's offices and rooms, Jubilee the kitchen and recreation rooms.

Rogue would work on the rooftops and the forest perimeter area. She knew it was close by the mansion or in it. I don't think Scott would let them go off school grounds together again after the last time.

After class on Friday they searched and searched and searched. It was nowhere. 2 a.m. hit and they gave in.

"What did it look like again?" Jubilee asked, half-asleep.

"It's a trophy or statue thing," Bobby said.

"Are we sure it's on school grounds?" Gambit asked, hoping to be set free.

"Yes, I'm positive. Something tells me it is here. We are just missing it."

They pondered. All at once they glared at each other. They couldn't all be thinking the same thing, could they? All at once they shouted, "The basement!"

"It's in the restricted area," Rogue said.

"How are we going to get there without getting caught?" Bobby asked.

"I don't think we should go down there at all," Katherine added.

"I know how we can do it," Rogue said. They all leaned in for the plan.



Saturday afternoon came and it was time for kickboxing 101 with Professor Summers, in the basement. Students weren't allowed down there without supervision. Rogue was going with the plan on a bet that Scott didn't tell about this project to anyone. Professor Xavier didn't want the kids snooping down below. She knew what was down there, too.

Poor Bobby -- he and Gambit got into a fight and Gambit shocked him on accident as his emotions just flared up. Dr. Grey took Bobby down to the medical unit below to check him out. Gambit asked to come with. She let him. He eventually woke up stunned. Dr. Grey had left the room and would return later.

"I can't believe you did that to me?" Bobby smacked Gambit in the arm hard and sat up, dazed.

"SSSSHHHHH! You should still be needing rest." He shoved him back down. "I'm gonna check out this room and the next a bit. I'll be back."

Gambit searched the medical unit and the next two rooms on either side. He slid back in, just in time as Dr. Grey returned.

"How you feel, Robert?"

"Like I was hit by a truck, but okay."

She checked him out. "You look like you'll be fine. And you...be more careful. I don't know what you two were fighting about but deal with it and I don't want either of you in here again."

"Yes ma'am," they replied together.

She escorted them back upstairs. They descended back to their lairs. Katherine and Jubilee were waiting for them.

"I got it," Gambit reported.

"Great!" Katherine said.

"You have got to be careful going down there," Jubilee said.

"Don't worry, I've perfected slipping in and out of rooms."

"We checked the medical area and Rogue is doing the training rooms," Bobby said.

"Hit the conference rooms and research rooms quickly. Jubilee and Rogue will have the hard part later," Gambit reviewed.

"Thanks guys." Katherine.

"The rest of you, the code is 847319," Gambit said, "help me remember that. We may need it for later."



Rogue and Scott enjoyed their match. She checked the suit area and gym room. She even slid into the guys' changing area as Scott was waiting for her in the combat room. Finally she got there and they began. He was getting better at repelling her moves and missing her power kicks. He had a few surprises for her. A few punches from both, knees in the stomach, and several kicks later they were getting tired. They seemed to contact very few times overall, blocking well. Finally he pinned Rogue -- she couldn't move her arms or the rest of her body. She was pinned close to him, his arms locking hers.

"Get too close, you feel trapped." He smiled.

"Careful, I'm not one you want to get close too"

"I'm not afraid of you touching me." Those words were powerful to her and she looked into his visor and stared. He wasn't afraid of her. She didn't see the fear in his face like she did with other. Then she realized her friends didn't always look at her with fear either.

She was frightened, though. She still had the fear of what she could do to people.

She struggled but was pinned. She tried to keep her face from touching him and his victory smurk. She was terrified of an accident happening and wanted out of this lock he put her in. He realized her panic and let go.

They tried a few other moves. Rogue then cheated. She did a back jump, sailing clear across the room.

"Hey, I said no powers. That point goes to me."

"Sorry, one-eye, I forget every now and then." She lunged forward but it wasn't her. It was the spitefulness of Magneto mixed with the moves of Wolverine. He blocked but she came at him with a new vengeance. Finally she pinned him to the floor.

"I think I have this one." She smiled. He got up. She said, "Thanks for the lesson." She enjoyed these fights.

"You're welcome. I actually learn a lot from you." He pointed at her. "I should be thanking you."

She smiled. They shook hands and went to change. No sign of the object, but she had his pin number for the elevator.



Katherine headed down after Dr. Grey was upstairs. The trick was to keep her upstairs. That was Bobby and Gambit's job. They argued again. Fighting. Dr. Grey and Storm came to break it up.

"What is with you two?" Storm demanded.

"He started it, you punk nose brat!" Gambit flared.

"Two-faced street rat!" Bobby flared back.

"Enough! Let's go..." Dr. Grey pried them apart by their shirts, dragging them to her office to discuss the matter. Storm didn't follow.

Bobby pointed to Storm and Gambit saw. They'd forgotten about Storm.



Scott and Rogue headed to the elevator. He wanted to ask if she found the item but he already knew the answer. He knew where it was and it hadn't moved yet.

Scott went to get something to eat after his work-out. Rogue grabbed a sandwich and headed back to shower. She changed and joined Jubilee.

"How'd we do?"

"Meds have been checked, no good. Katherine's doing the sweep right now and Bobby and Gambit are occupying Dr. Grey. How did you do?"

"Good exercise but not there either." She put on her shoes. "I know it's down there."

The two sat back and waited. That was all they could do till nighttime. Eventually Katherine came back.

"Storm was in every room down there. I though she was supposed to be occupied. Instead she is working on setting up this convention, making calls and running files and data from the computers. She was like multiple Storms. She was were I was. I almost thought she saw me once but didn't say anything so I think I'm safe. It's not down there though. I didn't see it."

Dinner was funny. The girls had to laugh as Jean sat Bobby and Gambit on opposite sides of the dining area. Rogue noticed Scott was watching her. It irritated her a bit and made her uncomfortable. He finally smiled and turned away. It was an eerie feeling. Scott wanted to know so bad what she was up to. She searched once all around but other then that, it was like she'd given up. "Don't disappoint me," he said softly.

"I won't." Jean curled up behind him. "Who were you thinking about?"

"Why don't you tell me?"

"That would be rude of me." She sees Rogue and her gang form the rest of the kids. "I was wrong about you." She turns to Scott. "I don't know what you did, but it worked. She smiles more, talks with her friends more. Ever thought of going into therapy?"

"Oh, no. I just gave her motivation."



After dinner they gathered in the rec-room and played foozball, all talking softly.

"What time?" Gambit asked.

"Midnight sharp," Jubilee said.

"Careful -- I think Scott knows I'm up to something," Rogue added.

"So why do we have to be up tonight?" Gambit complained.

"If one of them moves downstairs you need to stop them or send Katherine down to warn us," Rogue demanded.

"We don't want to get caught!" Jubilee added.

"I would dread the punishment we'd be given," Katherine warned.

"Right."

"Yes!" Rogue shouted. She and Bobby scored another goal and high-fived.



Midnight rolled around, Rogue and Jubilee slept in their clothes and met at the elevator. She punched in Dr. Grey's code. Scott might have known she would use his and alarm it some how. So she didn't use it. They slithered in and went down. Their mission, to check out the aircraft hanger, electronics room, and a few other coded doors. Katherine could have done it but she had to be the warning system. She knew Cerebro was MAX off limits, so she knew it wasn't there. Those other rooms would require further codes but that was what Jubilee was for; she had a gift similar to Gambit's with energy and could use her sparks to cut through just about anything or blow it away.

The basement zone was scary at night, all the halls were dark and not one sound was made. Rogue flew them around so as not to make much noise. They arrived at the electronics room. She tried the code again and it worked. They entered and found nothing. Finally, at the hanger, her code wouldn't work. Jubilee had to bust open the doors. It made quite a racket.

"They had to have heard that upstairs," Jubilee warned. "Let's hope they buy us time."



Bobby did hear it and it set off an alarm.

"No!" Gambit cried.

They stormed out of the room and put plan B into action. Bobby ran to the doors of the elevator and froze them shut.

"Katherine, go!" He motioned down. She used her powers and sunk down to the basement like before.



They searched the aircraft hanger and plane. Not here. There was nowhere else. They searched everywhere. Was this some kind of trick? Then there it was, sort of. She examined the picture and then the object. She had to rotate the picture a bit and squint but that was it. Right? It was the closest thing she'd seen to it at least.



Storm and the others came around the corner and down the hall. Gambit had to think and quick.

"What's going on?" Scott looked around.

Here came the lie...

"I saw someone go into the elevator."

"I though by freezing the doors shut they couldn't get out and we'd trap 'em," Bobby continued.

Jean knew that was a huge lie but didn't want to pry into their heads. Someone was down there -- she didn't know which student.

"Stand back." Scott took off his glasses and the ice evaporated. But it destroyed the control panel as well. He tried to pry open the doors. "Jean..."

She used her telekinesis to open them. No one was in the elevator. They turned to the boys. They could do nothing more.



Katherine saw them in the hanger. "Hey!" The two jumped a foot. "They're coming."

No! Rogue thought. Too soon! "What's that? Is that it?" She wanted their opinion. The others looked. It was odd shaped and hanging in the middle of the room. It was a light fixture but...she examined the picture again. It wasn't a trophy, it was a light fixture. This was stupid. All this work for a light fixture!

She flew up and tried to undo it.

"Let me try."

She grabbed Jubilee and lifted her up to the light. She unhooked it. "Okay, let's go..." Katherine added. They heard footsteps down the hall. They went out the back entrance, finding that it led to the front yard. They got out and covered their tracks. Rogue flew everyone back to their rooms. They undressed and got into bed, not a one tired.



"Let's use the other elevator," Storm added in.

There's another way down? Gambit and Bobby exchanged glances.

Dr. Grey added, "I'm talking to both of you later. Bed, now!"

They retreated, losing this battle but hopefully not the war. Getting back to the dorms, all they could do was wait.

The professors checked all around the basement areas. Nothing was touched. Jean reached out and found that something wasn't right in the hanger but couldn't tell what. They headed that way. Scott wanted to laugh. He knew what was going on.

I think she did it, he thought to himself.

Going in the light didn't work. Jean reached out with her mind and found again nothing, but something in the back of her head told her someone was here before.

Scott could contain himself no longer and laughed.

"What's so funny?" Professor Xavier came up behind them. Storm and Jean looked in shock.

"They did it." He was laughing so hard, tears would have been in his eyes.

"Who did what?" Jean somehow knew this was linked to his little projects.

Professor Xavier started to laugh. He read Scott's mind and realized what he had done. "You did well. That was a smart and clever idea, but let's not do that again, shall we? I don't appreciate being woken up at 2 am." The Professor realized the final project. He'd learned that within these walls not to read minds and not using his powers was much more of a blessing. This was one reason.

"I apologize, Professor."

"No need. Relax, just a false alarm. Scott, you will repair the elevator tomorrow. Goodnight, all. I'm sure this will be the talk of the morning around here." He left.

"What was he talking about, Scott?" Storm inquired. They walked back upstairs and he explained the whole thing.

"I knew I saw Katherine downstairs. I knew it."

"That was probably her."

"Why didn't you tell us about this?" Jean asked.

"It was more important you didn't expect it so your reaction would be more serious and not slow-paced like,
oh, it's just the kids goofing off."

"I think it was a brilliant idea, Scott," Storm added.

"Thank you."

They went back to bed, the halls quiet and calm as if nothing happened. Xavier sent all the kids back to bed.



The next day at noon, Rogue went into Scott's office with the statue/light fixture in hand.

"This was the stupidest thing I have ever done." She sat down. "A light fixture?" She was a bit furious.

He smiled. "You did wonderful, you beat all of us -- I was even watching you memorize my combination. Getting Jean's was smart. I rigged mine. But you guessed that right." She smiled, indicating a yes. "Well, I have nothing for you now. Do you think you can be there when it counts?"

She sat back. "Yeah. It's been an interesting experience. I don't envy you, though. Thanks again."

"For what...?"

"Having faith in me and giving me..." She didn't know how to describe what he gave her, a part of her life back, hope in being with others, a friendly push to be active... "...motivation."

He smiled. "Any time, Rogue, I'm here for you anytime...get outside, I don't want to see you in the mansion at all today."

"Yes sir!"

And with that Rogue went outside for volleyball. She had gained from this experience that she could take charge when needed, work with others, trust in her friends and believe in her self. She was still scared but realized faith in her new family and her best friend Logan, who was so far away, would make her life okay despite being afraid of what was outside these walls, the world that rejected her. She now realized she had people to turn to.

A place to call home.