He woke up to unfamiliar feeling of something warm curled against his back. He saw one small hand draped over his chest. His neighbor. They were on the floor. Alarm clock in her room was beeping. He sat up groaning, waking her up reluctantly.
“Good morning. Slept well?” She asked yawning. He nodded. No new nightmares. Go figure. Maybe she kept them at bay.
“Your alarm… You should go and turn it off,” he told her. She jumped up.
“Oh! You can hear it? That’s handy. Um… I’ll better go now. I don’t want to be late from class,” she babbled. She was at the door and he didn’t want to let her go. Not now, not ever. But he knew he had to.
“Wait! What’s your name?” He tried to stall. And he really would have liked to hear it from her. She stopped and turned around.
“You can call me Marie,” she told him. He smiled. Marie. Much better than Rogue. Angel called Marie.

He wore a dog tag around his neck. Wolverine and a series of numbers engraved on it. But she had to ask. She didn’t want to call him with a name of an animal.
“What’s yours?” She asked. He frowned and for a moment she was worried that she had hurt him in some way. Then he lifted his head and slight smile tugged the corner of his mouth.
“I think its Logan.” Logan. Good, strong name. She collected her courage.
“Logan, would you like to do something today? I have lots of time after classes. Maybe we could go for a walk or…” Her voice drifted off when he squinted his eyes. Maybe she had gone too far?
“Your alarm. Go and turn it off. My ears are starting to hurt,” he hissed and staggered in to his bathroom, slamming the door shut after him.

When she returned to her room after school there was a small package in front of her door. A gift? From who? And why? Her birthday wasn’t until next month. She picked it up and went to her room. She sat on the bed and opened the package. A brand new alarm clock. A note slipped to floor from under it. She picked it up. “Gone to mission with the team. Be back later tonight. Logan.” She tucked the small shred of paper between her diary laughing at her own foolishness. Logan was a grown man. Why would he want to hang around with a kid half of his age anyway?