Next morning she woke up alone. Previous night she had fallen asleep in Logan’s embrace, his steady heartbeat soothing her frazzled nerves and lulling her in to sense of security. And now she was alone. The room had been tidied up. Logan’s knapsack was gone. Her clothes lay neatly folded on a small chair next to bed.

She bolted up, more angry than sad, cursing her stupidity. She had foolishly believed that last night had meant something for Logan. That it had meant as much to him as it had for her. She started to put on her clothes.

She was fighting with her shirt, her earring had gotten caught in to the cloth and she was stumbling, trying desperately to pull it loose so she could get the shirt on when she realized that she was actually crying. Stupid little girl, bawling her eyes out, and for what? Over a man who was generally not well known for lasting relationships. What the hell had she even expected? Logan to settle down with her? He had probably fled the scene as soon as she fell asleep. She’d have to call to Scott after all.

She finally won the battle. The lock of the earring gave up and she was able to pull the shirt over her head. She had heard a soft pinging noise when the earring had fallen. She kneeled down to find it. For some reason it was important to her that she found it. It wasn’t particularly expensive. It wasn’t a precious memento. It was just a cheap silver ring, but it was important that she left nothing more of herself in to this room.

She found the ring soon enough. Lock was as good as gone, bent and broken. She pocketed the ring, then took a one last glance over the room before she grasped the doorknob, which suddenly started to turn under her palm at its own volition.

She could only stare at Logan, standing there. Jeans, black shirt and a smile. Honest smile on his face.

“You’re up already?” He asked.
“And what’s that supposed to mean?” She asked. Logan grinned sheepishly and scratched the back of his neck.
“Would have thought that after last night you’d sleep longer, that’s all…”
“Spoiled your great escape, did I?” She asked. Confusion settled over Logan’s features.
“Great escape? What’s that supposed to mean?” He asked, clearly puzzled, and she realized that maybe, just maybe she might have been wrong after all.
“Nothing. Where did you go? It was quite a surprise to wake up alone… After last night,” She said.
“Woke up early. Helped Rosa to find an exterminator and then went to see an old friend of mine. Didn’t want to wake you up,” Logan said, wiping a suspicious looking smudge of dirt from his thigh. Red dirt. Same kind of red dirt as it had been at the rodeo, at the ring.
“That friend of yours… He wouldn’t happen to have four legs and sharp horns, now, would he?” She asked, narrowing her eyes. And Logan did have a good sense to look miserable. For a whole minute. Then he straightened his back and nodded.
“I don’t think that bull can be classified as ‘he’ anymore…” He said, wide wolfish grin spreading from ear to ear.

“But enough of that. Since I wasn’t expecting this sudden turn on this trip, I was… Kind of unprepared. I have been thinking before, but… Uh…” Now he was actually squirming. Scraping the dirt with the toes of his boots and all. She had to close her eyes to prevent that certain image of him engraving over her retinas. When the sound of the shuffling stopped she dared to open her eyes again. Logan was still standing there, holding out his palm. His hand was trembling lightly. His hands never trembled. When she laid her palm over his he let out a breath he had been holding. She could feel something round and small between their palms.
“I… I talked with Rosa. Now, there’s a smart woman. Told me that she had seen this happening from the moment we arrived. Well, I talked with her some more… I didn’t… Of course I didn’t tell her everything, but we talked and… And…”

She waited. Rambling and stuttering Logan was something she apparently had to learn to deal with.

“Shit. Just take the damn thing already, would you?” Logan huffed, practically forcing her to curl her fingers around the object they were holding. When she opened her palm, very thin silvery ring laid there, shimmering brightly in the sun. She turned to look at Logan who obviously had gotten reign over his nerves once again.

“You know me, kid. I’m not a kneeling type of guy. Are you going to wear that ring?” He asked rather bluntly. She smiled and slipped it on.
“Good. We better get going. It’s a long way home. Giddy up!” Logan smirked, slapping her rear when she started towards the truck that was already waiting nearby.
“Ow! And what was that for?” She asked, rubbing her abused buttocks.
“Being smart-ass.”
“I wasn’t being…”
“You were going to, anyway. Or you will say or do something while I drive. I know you, kid.”
“Would it hurt to call me something else for a change? Sounds kind of creepy after last night…”
“You don’t like it when I call you Marie around other people. I don’t like Rogue…”
“Darling sounded nice.”
“It did?”
“At least the way you said it last night, wouldn’t mind hearing it more often.”
“Wouldn’t mind saying it more often…” Logan said, pulling her against his side in the small cab of the truck and started the engine.

Long ride to home would stretch even longer now. He was going to choose scenic routes. The ones with a motel every few miles on them.