Slamming the binder that held the confidential papers closed, the Child Protective Services agent, Mark, gave a grim smile.

" Well, I guess that's it. An agent will contact you on the day of your birthday to put your name on the house." Mark said and got up from the stool that he sat on.

We exited the house all together as I dragged my two black suitcases with me, my red duffel bag thrown over Logan's shoulder. I followed Logan to the deep blue mustang parked in our driveway. I was suprised that he owned such a car, seeing that everything on him looked worn down and just not...fitting the personality of a mustang. Mark followed us and handed the two of us his buisness card.

" If you have any questions or need anything, call me." and with a nod and tilt of his hat, Mark walked off to his 98' Chevy.

" Goodbye, Marky.." I said under my breathe, and smiled to myself as he drove off. Turning around to face Logan, I seen he was already thowing my things in the trunk with no mercy. Slamming the trunk down with such force I thought it would break, he glared at me and inserted the tip of a thick cigar in his mouth. Retrieving a lighter from his pocket, he lit it and walked like a giant to the driver's side.

" Get in, kid." he said as he slipped in and slammed the door which made me jump a little.

I placed my hand on the passenger's doorknob and turned around to the rancher-style house that I had grew up in and I felt a twinge of pain in my chest. It felt like the house was my dad and I was leaving him behind for the new lifestyle ahead. But my guilt and sadness faded away when I remembered that this was what he wanted for me. To live with this stranger who looks like he could kill me at any second. I took a quick mental note of the way my house looked in case I forgot in the next year.

" C'mon kid. Get your ass in or I'm taking off." he called as he leaned over into the passenger's seat and looked up at me through the open window.

" Alright, give me a sec." I said to Logan and looked back at the house. " I'll see you in a year, house. Take good care of yourself." I whispered before sliding into the leather-smelling mustang. I put on my seatbelt as he abruptly lurched the car forward and took off quickly down the street that had acted as a memorial landmark in my eyes for where I first learned how to ride a bike.

My body melted into the leather chair as he sped down the suburban streets where my life had been at. It felt like my skin was slowly moving off of my bones and I glanced at him.

" Don't you think your going kind of fast, uhm....Mr. Logan?" I asked, scared that we were going to crash any minute. I don't want to see my father that soon, hehe.

" Call me Logan, none of that Mr.Logan stuff. " he said without taking his eyes off of the road as he made a sharp turn that almost made the bumper hit another car. It honked at us, but Logan didn't seem to care because he did everything but slow down.

" Logan, we're going to get in an accident." I almost screamed as we just narrowly hit a big rig. I covered my face and bit my tongue before I screamed.

" Calm down, kid." he said as flicked the dead ashes off of the end of his half finished cigar out of the small crack at the top of tinted window. Taking a long drag at it, he ran a red light and zoomed down the street, threatening to end my existence.

I gulped and made my sweaty hands grip the edge of the leather seat. As my body dug deeper into the chair, we swerved through streets and highways in silence. I soon got used to his reckless driving and relaxed in my seat. I watched the empty and dry fields that surrounded the highway we were on fly by. I was now in an unfamiliar territory and shaky ground. Scared and unsure, I turned to Logan and tried to get on good terms with him.

" So, uhm, where are we going?" I asked, trying to sound happy that I was with him. I prayed that the fake smile that was glued to my face looked real as he glanced at me while flicking the cigar bud out of the window.

" Somewhere to eat, then a motel or something." he said plainly in all of his ruggedness as he transfered his eyes back over to the road.

A motel? Didn't he have like a house or something? Is he...homeless? Oh, gosh....don't tell me I got adopted by a bum.

" Oh, Dad, help me..." I gushed under my breath unconciously. Once I figured out that I had said that outloud, my hand flew over my mouth and I began to burn red. Hoping that Logan hadn't heard me, I slowly turned my head to him to see that he glanced at me before he turned his head back to the road. He didn't say anyhing and lit another cigar. Oh, gosh, even worse. What if I got adopted by a drugee? Or an alcholic? Is this what Dad meant when he said that Logan had gone his own way? No, can't be. Dad was very wise and wouldn't leave me in the hands of a drugee or alcholic.

Pulling up to a deserted diner on the edge of an empty desert or prairie or whatever, he quickly parked the car and leaned back in his seat, calmy taking a long drag out of the cigar.

" You know, Dad said smoking is really bad for your health." I said and after I seen the cold look on his face, I gave a small chuckle to lighten up the statement, but I don't think that worked because he blew the smoke in my face and got out of the car.

Coughing and waving a hand in front of my face to try and blow away the smoke, I leaped out of the car and stared at him as he made his way to the diner.

" Dad, please watch over me." I said lowly to myself and jogged to catch up with him as he walked in still smoking the cigar.
Chapter End Notes:
Please rate and review-thanks!