Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: i don't own the x-men or the song mentioned.

This story was inspired by the song Faint by linkin park. and we all know the scene in X2 where Magneto had a laugh at Rogue's expense and i mean really! would she have let that one just lie there? i dont think so.
~~ ~~ indicates lyrics, full song found at the end.
~~I am a little bit of loneliness a
little bit of disregard
Handful of complaints but I
can’t help the fact that
everybody can see
these scars~~


Rogue stared at her reflection in the small mirror as she stood in the Blackbird’s miniscule bathroom, frowning at the dark circles under her eyes. The mansion being invaded by Stryker, the long drive to Boston, the confrontation with Bobby’s family and being sucked out of the jet had finally taken its toll and her weariness was starting to show. Sleeping in the woods with Magneto in the vicinity definitely hadn’t helped matters; his presence affected her more than she was willing to let on and as a result her nerves were frayed to the breaking point. Her mind was in a constant uproar; worry for her friends who had been captured and the uncertainty about the fates of Scott and the Professor made her stomach roil in fear and brought a sharp stabbing headache that refused to leave her entirely since the moment she had awoken to Siryn’s sonic scream in the dead of the night.

She drew in a deep breath, trying to get her emotions back in check before leaving the lavatory. Magneto and his blue flunky were out there and she refused to let them see her ruffled. If she was honest with herself, then she could admit that it rankled her that the two of them had barely even spared her a glance since Erik had stopped the jet from crash landing the day before. Indeed, the couple had ignored her completely and Rogue was furiously indignant to the snubbing. They had tried to kill her, actually had killed her for a brief time that horrifying night on Liberty Island and yet now they acted as though she was beneath their notice. She certainly wasn’t expecting an apology nor would she even accept one if it was offered, but she did want acknowledgement; she wanted them to look at her and see that they had failed, that she was still alive and stronger for the things that had been done to her.

~~I can't feel the way I did before
Don't turn your back on me
I won't be ignored
Time won't take this damage anymore
Don't turn your back on me
I won't be ignored~~


Sweeping her thick hair up into a ponytail, she tugged on Bobby’s grandmother’s gloves and gave herself one last appraising look at her reflection. They wanted to disregard her, then fine, let them. She would just ignore them as well and not let them get under her skin. She had more important things to worry about then a couple of power-crazed mutants, like how she was going to break the news to Logan that she did in fact already have her own leather uniform and had been training to join the team for several weeks already. Somehow, she thought he would be less than thrilled at the revelation.

Feeling marginally better, Rogue pulled on the navy blue jacket with the X insignia and zipped it up as she exited the bathroom, heading towards the display cases with the uniforms inside. Her own was back at the mansion and she wished she had it here; maybe then she’d be able to help out the team once they arrived at Alkali lake instead of just sitting around looking pretty. Also, she thought devilishly, that leather does wonders fo’ mah figure. Lost in her own thoughts for the moment, it took her a second to register the derisive laughter coming from behind her and she slowly turned to face the sound.

~~I am a little bit insecure a little unconfident
Cause you don't understand I
do what I can but sometimes
I don't make sense
I say what you never wanna say but
I've never had a doubt
It's like no matter what I do
I can't convince you for once
just to hear me out
So I let go watching you turn your
back like you always do
Face away and pretend that I'm not~~


Erik and Mystique sat next to each other, identical smirks on their faces as they whispered to each other like unruly schoolchildren at the back of a classroom. Mystique noticed Rogue’s eyes on them and she nudged Erik lightly, indicating towards the younger girl with a nod of her head as he turned to meet her incredulous stare. “We love what you’ve done with your hair,” he told her, his voice patronizing as his contemptuous gaze raked across her two bolts of platinum locks mingled with the russet strands.

Mystique snorted laughter into her hand, but Rogue barely heard her over the roaring in her ears. She felt the blood drain from her face as she was suddenly propelled back in time to the night she had acquired those streaks, remembering the way she felt while she was strapped into Magneto’s machine; feeling her blood turn to battery acid in her veins as her life was sucked from her body, feeling the flesh of her hands bonding to the metal, the scent of her burning flesh making her gag through her screams while blood seeped from her eyes, ears, nose and mouth. And throughout it all, Magneto’s presence in her mind ran rampant with victory, his foreign thoughts and painful memories clouding her own as the fireworks lit up the night sky. Now he sat there indolently, mocking her, laughing at what he had done with no apparent regret. He had taken from her the last remaining shreds of innocence that she had managed to retain despite those eight long months on the road and she hated him for it.

~~Hear me out now
You're gonna listen to me, like it or not
Right now
Hear me out now
You're gonna listen to me, like it or not
Right now~~

Without a second thought she ripped off the glove on her right hand while a part of her crowed in triumph at the fear that entered the old man’s cold, grey eyes. Bobby appeared beside her and laid a restraining hand on her arm, only to be shoved roughly back into his seat where he landed with a loud plop as his eyes stared up a Rogue in hurt surprise. Rogue however, paid him no mind; instead she crossed the jet in two quick strides, her bare hand held up in an unmistakable threat while Mystique and Erik remained rooted to their seats in disbelief. Their eyes never left her small, deadly hand; they were so focused on it that neither of them saw her raise her left, glove-covered one until her fist had connected soundly with Magneto’s jaw.

“Bastard!” she snarled in fury. “Did ya really think that ah’d want ya in mah head again? You raping mah mind once was more than enough.”

Blood trickled from the corner of his mouth and he slowly raised his hand to touch it with his fingertips as Mystique finally broke from her paralysis. Lightening fast, she leapt to her feet and stood between the two, her back to Erik as she stood face to face with the infuriated Rogue who held her ground defiantly. The rest of the team was staring with mouths agape as the drama unfolded before them.

“Well done my dear,” Erik said, still staring at his bloodied fingertips. “Quite a change from the girl who begged for her life.”

Ignoring Mystique completely, Rogue peered around her shoulder to glare down at him with a cruel sneer. “And ya would know a lot about beggin’, wouldn’tcha Erik?” His face blanched and she continued with relish, “Seems to me that ah recall ya doin’ yo’ fair share of it in yo’ lifetime. Don’t forget, yo’ in mah head, til death do us part. Everthin’ you know, ah know. Everythin’ you’ve felt, ah’ve felt. You’d be smart to remember that next time ya start shootin’ yo’ mouth off.” She finally glanced at the blue woman standing almost nose to nose with her, as though only just noticing her presence while she dragged her eyes lazily up and down her nude form. Both women were almost exactly the same height and with less than an inch between them, the threat of Rogue’s power was palpable.

~~I can't feel
I won't be ignored
Time won't heal
Don't turn your back on me
I won't be ignored~~

“Better be careful, sugah,” she murmured thoughtfully, locking her eyes with Mystique’s. “All that bare skin… walkin’ around like that, a gal could catch her death.” She brought up her gloveless hand to tuck back a streak of white hair that had fallen across her face and smiled coldly as Mystique visibly flinched. Rogue sighed in mock disappointment and addressed her next words to Magneto. “Good help is so hard to find these days.” Deliberately turning her back on the shape shifter, she gracefully made her way back to her seat, stalking past the others with her head held arrogantly high. As she sat down and began to buckle up, she caught Logan’s eye and though his face remained inscrutable, there was no mistaking the glint of pride shining from his hazel eyes.

Faint by Linkin Park

I am a little bit of loneliness a
little bit of disregard
Handful of complaints but I
can’t help the fact that
everybody can see
these scars
I am what I want you to want
what I want you to feel
But it's like no matter what
I do, I can't convince you,
to just believe
this is real
So I let go, watching you,
turn your back like you
always do
Face away and pretend that I'm not
But I'll be here cause i'm
all that you've got

[ Chorus ]
(I can't feel the way I did before)
(Don't turn your back on me)
(I won't be ignored)
(Time won't take this damage anymore)
(Don't turn your back on me)
(I won't be ignored)

I am a little bit insecure a little unconfident
Cause you don't understand I
do what I can but sometimes
I don't make sense
I say what you never wanna say but
I've never had a doubt
It's like no matter what I do
I can't convince you for once
just to hear me out
So I let go watching you turn your
back like you always do
Face away and pretend that I'm not
But I'll be here 'cause
you’re all that I've got

[ Chorus ]
(I can't feel the way I did before)
(Don't turn your back on me)
(I won't be ignored)
(Time won't take this damage anymore)
(Don't turn your back on me)
(I won't be ignored)

(Now)
(Hear me out now)
(You're gonna listen to me, like it or not)
(Right now)
(Hear me out now)
(You're gonna listen to me, like it or not)
(Right now)

(I can't feel the way I did before)
(Don't turn your back on me)
(I won't be ignored)

[ Chorus ]
(I can't feel the way I did before)
(Don't turn your back on me)
(I won't be ignored)
(Time won't take this damage anymore)
(Don't turn your back on me)
(I won't be ignored)

[ Chorus ]
(I can't feel)
(Don't turn your back on me)
(I won't be ignored)
(Time won't take)
(Don't turn your back on me)
(I won't be ignored)

I can't feel
I won't be ignored
Time won't heal
Don't turn your back on me
I won't be ignored