Story Notes:
I saw the sign hanging up somewhere and this idea just popped into my head. I thought it was cute. Let me know what you think.
It all started with a little package that showed up with his name on at some obscure bar in the middle of Nowhere, Canada. He had arrived and when the bartender had caught his name during the cage fights, he was given a small non-descript brown box. There was no return address of even the bar's address, just his name --Wolverine. Curiosity, overrode his cautiousness at the ambiguousness of the package. When, he opened it he saw a small figurine nestled in old newspaper. The figurine was of the animal from which he got his namesake. He half-smiled and didn't even have to read the index card with a just a simple name scrawled in black. He knew it was from Marie, only Marie would ever be able to pull something off like this. He gruffly thanked the tender, and paid his tab early.

A thought had already begun to formulate in his mind. At the next substantial town, Wolverine walked into a small shop and picked up a pair of white snow hare gloves. He then calmly proceeded onto the post office where he packaged the box and labeled it for Xavier's school. Inside was a simple card with his name on it, Logan. He mailed the box, and then left town continuing of his wandering. But, inside his left shirt pocket was a small figurine and in his pocket was the card with Marie on it.

This practice went on for two years, the whole time that Logan traveled he could always expect to find something somewhere for him. He didn't know how she knew where he would be, or even that he would get it. Yet, the boxes kept coming, each time with something new. He sometimes sent things back, like the gloves. Sometimes, though, he just sent a short note of what he was up to. She never did the same, but he knew that if he asked she would tell him anything he wanted. But he never asked, not yet. Then one day he caught the news, and realized it was time for him to get home -- funny, he didn't remember when he first stared thinking of it that way.

The last package had arrived the day before in the same usual way. The box was bigger, and he wondered why. Opening it he found one of those yellow caution signs, except this one read "Warning: Wolverine on Board." He had laughed at that. He even hung it on Scott's bike, which of course would probably have made the mutant very happy. The card is what was really different. Instead of just her name, there was a sentence too. It wasn't very long and complex, but it made Wolverine stop short. "I miss you, Marie."

So maybe it was the news, or maybe Wolverine had just decided he was done, or maybe it was the card. Either way Wolverine came home. At this time, he didn't plan on leaving anytime soon. Not until Marie wouldn't miss him anymore. Which who knows when that will happen, not that Wolverine really cares. Besides, Marie and he have a lot of catching up to do. Cards just aren't the same. Of course, if anyone walked into Wolverine's room, they would see a little grouping of oddly assorted items on the dresser right next to a stack of white cards. The card on top belying Wolverine's deepest emotions, even if he himself tries to deny them.

I miss you.
Marie