Story Notes:
Yes, I was watching the movie while writing this. No my memory isn't that good. :)
Something was different.

Something had changed. The something that seems to make the whole world take a breath before it continues to spin on its unfeeling axis. The something that changes a person's life irrevocably and they are left wondering if it was for the better…or for the worst.

Wolverine sniffed the air. Through the pine and alcohol and sweat and urine and perfume, there was something different. Something that reminded him of a land far to the south that stayed warm and sweet all year round. Where huge white houses stood overlooking green fields and trees with blossoms as satin and white as innocence bloomed as big as a man's hand. But then just like that the scent was gone and his next challenger was entering the cage full of bluster and mob given courage.

When the fights were over and the pub had cleared out, Wolverine came over to the bar after collecting his share of the money from the ring master of the cage fights. They had met on a couple of circuits so Wolverine did have to threaten the man to pay a fair share. As he strode to the bar, the scent again returned and it was then he noticed the small green bundle sitting on a bar stool with a glass of water.

Shrugging away the nagging sensation of curiosity and wonder, he sat down for one last beer before another long cold stretch of road. If the pub hadn't cleared out so fast he might how found a little distraction before the road. One sniff told him the green bundle was too young for his tastes.

She looked over at him and he was startled by how pretty she was. Her look was fresh, not jaded and he wondered how the hell she made it this far north without ending up burned or dead. He refused to acknowledge the twist in his gut at that thought. Instead, he settled down to ignore her good and well.

Which would have worked better if she had just kept her eyes on the bar, or the stupid television behind the crusty old bartender that spouted nonsense about the mutant threat and some shindig in New York with all the important types who had probably never known a real mutant in their life.

Their eyes met again and Wolverine growled inwardly. She was greener than the cloak she was wearing. He had noticed the quick glance when the TV had mentioned mutants. If she knew what good for her, she would get out as soon as possible. This town wasn't known for its geniality. He wouldn't have stopped except for the money that was guaranteed here. And anyway, what was she staring at? Oh yeah, the last idiot.

Just go away…go away…Shit.

"Look out!" What the --? Oh the girl. The Wolverine easily disarmed the man while his brain was still trying to register why the girl thought she needed to warn him about the knife. It wasn't like she could know about his hearing, but still. She didn't even know him from Adam.

The shotgun click was not something he expected and cursed himself for thinking there was only one idiot in a place. They always came together like roaches. Poor girl, she would definitely need to get out quick now. Weighing his options, he took a chance and quickly raised his other claws. A shotgun in two pieces wasn't worth much but the metal it was made out of.

Looking to make sure no one else wanted to play, Wolverine caught the girl's eyes again. Not daring to look too close he refused to see the fear and loathing that everyone gave him. Even the other mutants he had met along his wanderings. He sheathed the claws and shrugged his shoulders in one last act of defiance to the bigoted patrons of the pub. He walked past the girl and the scent that assaulted his nostrils almost made him stop and throw her over his shoulder. But he continued on, just cause she had felt obligated to call out a warning didn't make them pals. Maybe the fear he put in the idiots would make them leave her alone long enough to find whatever she needed to find.

God, he really wished he could have finished that beer. He did pay for it.

He got in the truck and only paused long enough to once again ponder the enigma of his claws. Then he took off. There was another town not too far away where he could get some food and a warm bed.

A few hours down the road made him realize that the scent of the south that still teased his senses was not his imagination, nor any lingering smell. And the thumps coming from the trailer behind the camper did not mesh with the bumps in the road. He had picked up a stowaway, and he could have three guesses who and where and the first two didn't count.

He pulled over and got out. Yep, definitely her. Right there. She must a ice cube by now. Whatever. Get out. He didn't need any complications, and he certainly didn't want any complications.

"I saved your life." Her declaration made him inwardly pause even as he got into the truck. No she didn't, but she did risk her neck for him when she could have just looked the other way like everyone else.

And when did he resort to leaving children on the side of the road? He slammed on the brakes, the next town that was as far as he would take her then she was on her own again. She had made it this far, she wasn't helpless.

He gave her the jerky out of his stash. Those gloves come to think of it, she was even wearing them in the bar. Odd. Most people would've taken them off. God, she sounded starved.

"I'm Rogue." And now the questions begin, wasn't she a lot more quiet in the bar? As in speechless. Wolverine continued to drive and he tucked the tags out of sight. Hopefully, she would get the hint. Close but not quite. Damn, cozy. He wasn't a day-tripper. This was his life. All the crappy parts of it. And she was the one that wanted a ride. Wolverine was regretting that decision, minute by minute.

He turned the heater on, hoping that would be enough to satisfy her. He reached for her hands to show her where the best heat was and she jerked away from him. There was the fear that he expected, he wondered how she had hid it until now. But then she explained. She was afraid of hurting him. The thought made him inwardly laugh, but her seriousness allowed him to concede the point.

A few minutes passed and then she spoke up again, she was gazing at his knuckles as if looking for some clue to the blades that she had seen earlier. He expected the age old question that he always got, he was even going to go ahead and be preemptive, but she surprised him yet again.

Does it hurt when they come out? He paused for a moment thrown by her concern, her utter fearlessness, her perceptiveness. He thought of a million ways to answer her, but only one seemed to fit.

Every time.

There are moments when fate changes, when your destiny becomes something more than a menial task of day to day living. When something or someone steps into your life and throws a spotlight on things that haven't seen the light of day for ages of life times. Then you have to either accept it or turn your back on it forever. Fate doesn't have a middle ground.

Her name was Marie. His was Logan. No would ever know of that bar or that ride anymore than the vaguest details. Each knew that it was more personal and more sacred than a lot of things in life. Wolverine had made a decision that day. For the better or for the worst.