Chapter 7
.
Omnia vincit amour (Love conquers all)

Still her skin won’t live, so I have to wait. I hold her hand and breathe in all I can. I love everything about her, this little slip of girl – no woman, she holds my heart, who’d have thought that me of all people could have my soul saved by anyone, let alone her.

I am meticulously watching her as each breath is taken and retaken. An endless replay of what seems like the same segment of time, never moving forward but as every new breath is made, it gives me hope that at least it isn’t stopping.

Minuets turn to hours and hours into days, still the time is on replay, the only change when Beast appears, doing whatever he has to do, whispering reassurances that all will be well, she is just weak and needs to rest, he checks her for signs of improvement or change – I could save him the time –nothing has changed for her.

Yet for me everything had changed.

It is 2oclock in the morning 3 days after our hell ended only to be replaced by a new version and I woke with a start, my neck cracking from the awkward angle of sleeping in a chair with my head bent over her bed. The sound that made me jump into consciousness was the ever so slight change in her breathing, I watch mesmerized by the rise and fall of her chest - slightly faster, slightly deeper, watch as hell at last begins to close and those beautiful eyes of hers begin to open. Giving me a reprieve from my darkness I watch as the light flows from her to me. I smile as I feel the drain begin but frown as it stops and I can see confusion set across her face as she blinks herself awake.

“We’re home, we’re safe, *you’re safe.* I kept my promise darlin’, they’ll never hurt you again.”

Rising out of the chair I lean over the bed, I want to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming “Hey” my voice is too quiet, I’m struggling “You’ve been out for three days, you scared the hell out of me, turn it back on darlin’.”

She reaches out and grabs my hand “not too much, I don’t want to hurt you.” her voice sounds sore and dry, cracking with strain of speaking the words. But I’ll fix that right up for her. I can’t take my eyes off her for fear she’ll disappear and I am determined to watch her as she gains her strength even as I begin to loose mine. I shake it off as I feel the pull recede, I would give her everything I have but this time, just this once I’m grateful that she didn’t need enough to drain me completely, I need to be with her.

“Did you see? I kept my promise.”

“You always do Logan and yes, I saw………….I’m glad they’re dead, they deserved it, all of it………..thank you.”

It may not be what most would want to see but I had a feeling she’d need to. I hope it helps her somehow. Killin’ ‘em made me feel a damn site better, I hope seein’ it does the same for her.

I gently sit on the edge of the bed my hand still in hers and I watch as my other hand reaches up to gently stroke the side of her face. Time is now moving, no longer on replay but it seems as though in slow motion as I watch my own hands gentle slow movements on her face. My voice cracks as I attempt to say something, my eyes are wet as I finally met hers “I thought I’d lost you” I finally manage to say, and I just lean forward to rest my forehead against hers.

Letting go of my hand she brings her arms around my back, one resting in the middle of my shoulders, the other moving up to cradle the back of my head, “you could never loose me Logan, I was never the one who was lost.”

“I can’t do this without you.”

“I’m not going anywhere, never was.”

“What happens now?”

“We love and we live.”
.
.
The end.
.
.

Feedback loved and appreciated!