Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own anything from X-men. Sad, but true.



ok, here we go with this next chapter. I'm totally unhappy with it though. i think it was a case of working on it too much, with too many re-writes and changes, but i'm stumped as to how to fix it. in the end i think it just turned out confusing as all hell. all this mind-melding stuff is hard to write! the next chapter will be better (i hope) and i hope you all keep reading (and reviewing! please?). Chapter title comes from the song by Muse (a great band and an even greater song)oh, and ~ ~ indicates talking telepathically
Logan swam to consciousness slowly, though a part of him wished to remain in the comforting darkness; he was having the nicest dream, where a woman held him close as her intoxicating scent of magnolia and citrus enveloped him.

Marie…

Suddenly his eyes shot open and he groaned loudly as steel barbs of pain dug into his brain, chasing the remnants of the dream away like wisps of smoke. He felt like he was suffering from the worst hangover ever, which was odd because he had never been hung-over before; the only thing that ever made him feel this way was a touch from Rogue, but it couldn’t be that, because Rogue was…

Suddenly Logan remembered everything: the battle on Alcatraz, the final conflict with Magneto, Jean’s reign of destruction and finally Rogue, Rogue kissing him with so much passion before he succumbed to her vampiric power. Jumping to his feet despite the vertigo he felt, Logan looked around wildly, his hazel eyes flashing dangerously.

Storm noticed that he had awoken and watched him warily for a moment before asking softly, “Logan, how are you feeling?”

“Where is she?” he snarled, ignoring her question completely. His blazing eyes finally fell on Alcatraz, and an icy hand gripped his heart at what he saw.

No.

The entire island floated several feet above the water, completely bathed in a glowing white light, making it impossible to see anything concealed within. The surrounding water shot high up into the sky in massive quantities, some of it vaporizing into steam which caused eerie tendrils of fog to drift over the bridge where the X-Men held vigil. Meanwhile, copious amounts of ash drifted from Alcatraz, ash made from human bodies and any other object that had once been on the island, now just meaningless particles floating on the wind.

Logan lurched forward heedlessly, intent on swimming there if he had to, when Beast stopped him by wrapping his strong arms around Logan’s chest, attempting to hold him in place.

“You cannot, my friend!” Hank pleaded, tightening his grip as Logan struggled against him. “It will kill you!”

“Get offa me!” the feral mutant roared, furious at being confined. Swinging his head back, he felt his skull collide solidly with Beast’s nose, who yelped in pain and released him. Again Logan surged forward, but before he could move more than a few feet, Colossus was suddenly there, pinning him in an unbreakable full-Nelson hold as Logan spat and snarled in a berserker rage.

“I gave my word to Rogue that I would keep you safe,” Colossus said fiercely into his ear. “I will not let her down.”

“Let me go!” Logan raged, bucking against the unbreakable arms that held him captive. “I have to get there, I have to-“

“Stop it Wolverine!” Storm screamed suddenly, her eyes glowing white. “Nobody can go there! Look at it! It’s impossible!” Softening her aggressive tone upon seeing the helplessness in her friend’s eyes, she continued, “Rogue wanted you to be safe. She knows what she is doing. All we can do is wait.”

Logan sagged limply against Colossus, hearing the truth in Storm’s words.The two people he cared for the most in this world were on that levitating wasteland, and though every part of him screamed to rush onto Alcatraz, the logical part of his brain knew that it would be futile. Storm was right; they could only wait and watch as the blinding glow that obscured the island burned on and on.

********************

Holding onto the Phoenix, Rogue came to realize, was a lot like holding onto a live wire. The incredible power she possessed threatened to overwhelm Rogue’s mind completely if she allowed it to. Simply filing away this particular psyche was no easy task; indeed it was almost impossible, and Rogue strove valiantly to keep her own identity in check. Meanwhile with every minute that passed, she grew more worried; any other person would be dead from her touch after such prolonged exposure to it, yet Phoenix seemed to have an endless reserve of energy, making Rogue wonder if using her skin on her was the right thing to do.

The body of the Phoenix still burned to cinders, but not nearly fast enough. It took most of Rogue’s energy just to keep her mind from becoming swamped with everything she saw to expend more on trying to destroy her foe's physical body. She had hoped that if she held on for just a bit longer, then maybe Jean would lose consciousness, thus allowing Rogue to finish her at her leisure.

What she had not been anticipating however, was the sheer multitude of data being thrust into her brain. Apparently Phoenix had the ability to see other worlds, countless dimensions and time-lines from the past and future, and as Rogue sucked in her powers, she saw herself in a hundred different lives. In one she was dressed in a skintight yellow and green latex leotard, a brown leather bomber jacket draped over her shoulders while a loose belt with the ‘X’ insignia hung from her curvy hips as she soared high up into a blue sky. She saw a man with unruly auburn hair and strange red-on-black eyes, a man who called her ‘Chere’ and aroused in her a wild yearning, before the image faded away and was replaced by a vision of Xavier’s mansion, ravished by time as it’s foundation sunk into the earth; with horror, she witnessed a squadron of Sentinels flying over a dead city, indiscriminately dropping bombs as mutant children screamed in helpless fear from below; strange names roared through her brain, names and faces she had never heard or seen before but seemed strangely familiar; names like Bishop, the Star Jammers, Destiny, Cable, Mojo, Sinister…some filled her with a warm affection, while others made her tremble in fear of things to come.

The images swirled, faster and faster, making Rogue feel as though her head would simply split open if it didn’t stop soon. It was an information overload, and most of what she saw she was unable to discern what it meant, or was even able to remember it clearly after the image faded, though a part of her wished she could.

~You could see it all,~ Phoenix spoke suddenly from within her mind, clinging to her last ounce of power. ~An infinite realm of possibilities, all at your command. Everything you ever wanted to know, everything you ever wanted to see… I could show you.~

For a moment Rogue faltered as the seductive words bounced in her brain. Boundless knowledge and immeasurable power, both were at her fingertips; she could have it all and more.

Sensing her temptation, Phoenix went on: ~We’re much the same, you and I. Our abilities make us Gods on Earth. My body may die, but I can live on through you, and together, we can rule with ultimate supremacy. And everything you have ever desired can be yours for the taking.~

The offer was alluring, and Rogue fought to resist the urge to give in, to let Phoenix take her over. She felt as though she were walking a tightrope, and if she slipped she would be lost forever in the yawning chasm below, a prisoner in her own mind. With a dawning horror, Rogue realized that Phoenix was hypnotizing her, distracting her in order to take control of her brain. It was her last ditch effort for survival, and living on through Rogue’s body was her only option.

Snapping herself out of the near-trance she was in, Rogue narrowed her green eyes at the black gaze boring into her. “We’re not the same,” she spat aloud, shaking her head to emphasis her point. “Ah can handle mah powers. You’ve let yours destroy ya.”

With that, Rogue raised her fist with her lethal bone claws extended, ready to drive them into her opponent’s chest, only to watch in confusion as the claws slowly receded back into her forearms, leaving three gaping lacerations in their wake. In her stunned disbelief, it took her a moment to realize what had gone wrong.

Logan’s power wore off! She told herself in dismay as wounds and burns that hadn’t had time to fully heal sprung up over her body, while a sudden mind-numbing exhaustion seeped into her very bones, making her thoughts become muddled and slow.

Seeing her chance, Phoenix renewed her efforts to take over the younger woman’s mind, hoping to overcome her stubborn resistance that refused to lie down without a fight. Now it was a battle of wills, and only the stronger of the two would come out on top.

Using the power that she was still siphoning from Phoenix where their bare skin remained in contact, Rogue watched as the creature’s body began to disintegrate in earnest, but there was no triumph that came from this; this was what Phoenix wanted. Her body was beyond saving, but her powerful mind still raged on, intent on taking over Rogue’s body by burying the young woman’s mind beneath her own.

It ain't ever gonna happen Red, Rogue thought, ya may have been too strong fo' Jean to handle, but ah ain't goin' down that easy.

~Rogue.~

The soft voice touched her thoughts like a cool breeze on a scorching day, bringing tears to Rogue’s eyes as she recognized the loving tone while the Phoenix still continued to rail against her.

~Jean? Jean, is it really you?~

~Yes,~ the voice replied, growing stronger. ~Don’t stop Rogue, it’s almost over. You’re winning.~

Rogue tightened her hold on Phoenix’s throat with trembling fingers, Juggernaut’s vast strength long since faded away. She fought against the exhaustion that saturated every part of her being, the day’s events finally catching up to her and making her feel as limp as a wet dishrag. Vaguely she realized that by taking on so much of the Phoenix’s force into her own body, it had given Jean an opportunity to claw back to the surface after being submerged by the indomitable strength of her powers. From firsthand experience, Rogue now knew how easy it was to get lost in them.

~Ah’m tired Jeannie, ah’m so tired,~ she told her friend, fighting to stay upright. A glance down showed her that she and Phoenix were floating dozens of feet above the island as they continued to be locked together in their deadly embrace. ~Ah dunno how much more I have left in me, but ah sure as hell am gonna end this even if it kills me.~

~I can finish it,~ Jean said suddenly, her voice beseeching. ~You’ve fought so hard for so long. Rest now, and give me this last chance, Rogue. There’s something that I have to make right again. Please.~

Rogue knew what was being asked of her and her mind warred with itself; a part of her longed to hand the reins over to Jean, to lay her weary burden down and just rest. The other, much stronger part of her balked at the thought of giving up control, fearful it was a trick, a deception to let her guard down.

Yet her heart told her that this was in fact Jean, who had once been like a sister to her, a close friend and confidante who had made her feel loved and welcomed from just one soft smile. Once upon a time Rogue would have given her life for her; could she now really give up her mind, even if only for a while, to let her be the one to end the madness of Phoenix? To give her a chance for redemption? For a long moment time seemed to stand still, and as Rogue froze in an agony of indecision, Jean spoke to her one last time.

~Will you trust me Rogue?~
Chapter End Notes:
just a little back-story here: i always think of Jean and the Dark Phoenix to be kinda separate from each other (but obviously in the same body), so that's why i figure Jean can be the one to destroy her dark half... or something along those lines. any questions, send 'em this way