Author's Chapter Notes:
disclaimer: i own nothing of the x-men. i'll keep reaching for that rainbow though.
Ok, I know I said Logan would be in the next chapter, which was what I intended, but unfortunately I had to break my story up into shorter chapters. Otherwise it would take forever to update, cause I’m a really slow typer. I write everything with my trusty notebook and pencil, then type it out at work (oh lordy, I am so getting canned). This is a very short chapter compared to the first one, but I’m already several pages into the third, so hopefully I’ll be done that soon. I have no clue how long I’m planning on making this story, or even where it’s going so bear with me. Oh yeah, from the first chapter I forgot to mention that I got inspiration from the song “Better Day” by Saving Jane. It’s a great song, and it totally applies to Rogue… but what do I know, I’m alone in a dank, dark warehouse for 8 hours a day. Moving right along… a HUGE thanks for the feedback I’ve been getting, you guys are awesome to the extreme. Keep it coming. and i suck a titles, i'm aware
Rogue arrived at the mansion just in time to see the Blackbird disappearing into the clouds at rapid speeds.

“Goddamnit,” she growled. Resisting the childish impulse to stamp her feet in frustration, she bolted for the front door, wondering how the hell she would get to Alcatraz now. First things first, she had to make sure that that’s where the team was heading. It was entirely possible that they could have received wrong information to lure them into a trap… or to just keep them out of the way.

Racing past the rec-room, Rogue skidded to a stop upon seeing Jubilee sprawled on a sofa, a Cosmo magazine in one hand, the other in a sling while an obscenely large bag of gummie-worms balanced precariously on her stomach. Several days ago during a Danger Room training session, Jubilee had taken a nasty fall, resulting in a sprained wrist and an almost dislocated shoulder. While the injury would heal in a few weeks, Logan had claimed at the time that his ear drums would bear permanent scarring from the shrieks that had ensued.

Judging from the angry scowl on her face and the ferocious way she was ripping into the worms, the team must have made her stay behind, and if there was one thing Jubilation Lee hated, it was being left in the dust.

“Jubes!” Rogue cried, yanking the magazine from her hand to ensure her undivided attention. “Where’d the team go? Ah saw the ‘Bird fly off.”

Jubilee leapt to her feet, spilling her candy to the ground, a stunned look on her face upon seeing the gloves still covering Rogue’s hands.

“What happened?” she asked. “Everyone said you ditched to get the cure and –“

“Ah did,” Rogue cut in, “But ah couldn’t go through with it. Look, ah don’t got a lotta time. Where did the team go?”

Seeing the urgency in her friend’s face, Jubilee promptly cut to the chase. “They went to Alcatraz. Something about Magneto and an army of mutants being up to no good.”

Rogue began pacing, her brow furrowed in thought. How would she get there? The Blackbird was gone, and the auxiliary jet was being repaired after Kitty’s test flight ended on a sour note. So how…

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but did someone mention Alcatraz?” a worried voice cut into her thoughts, and Rogue snapped her head up to see who had spoken.

A young man stood in the doorway, his bright blue eyes filled with apprehension. A shaft of sunlight broke through the clouds outside and landed on his blonde hair, turning it into spun gold, and while his face was undeniably handsome, it had a delicate quality to it, making him almost cherubic in appearance. A large coat was wrapped around his lean body, but it was oddly padded, giving him a hunchbacked look.

Seeing Rogue’s inquisitive stare, Jubilee quickly stepped forward. “Rogue, this is Warren. His dad invented the cure. Warren, meet Rogue.”

Rogue blinked at him in surprise. His dad…?

“It’s nice to meet you, but I have to know what’s going on at Alcatraz! My father’s there!” Warren’s voice cracked slightly at the end, his unease obviously growing by the second.

If his daddy’s anythin’ like that woman at the clinic, then Mags can have ‘im, Rogue mused angrily before shaking the thought away.

Staring directly into Warren’s eyes, she said frankly, “Magneto an’ his followers are plannin’ to storm Alcatraz. Mah guess is they ain’t peddlin’ any Girl Scout cookies, neither.”

“Then we have to get there!” Warren declared loudly, already turning to leave.

“Whoa there Sunny Jim, transportation is a problem,” Rogue told him, laying a hand lightly on his arm. “The rest of the X-Men are already on their way there, an’ our other jet is outta commission, so unless ya got a rocket in yo’ pocket, we ain’t goin’ anywhere.”

Warren surprised her by smiling devilishly at her, a speculative light entering his eyes as he studied her.

“How much do you weigh?”