Magneto had spilled out the whole sordid tale along his guts, after several hours of careful handling. And no, it really didn’t justify the treatment Marie had gotten, but gave it a reason.

When Logan left the brothel he soon found out that somebody had heard Magneto’s screams after all. He could hear sirens, not too far away, approaching fast. Police. He walked across the street and leaned against the wall of the opposite building. Just lounging there, all casual. And when they arrived, left. Walked slowly down the road to where his truck was parked, shivering from the inside.

Unfamiliar coldness crept along his veins when he realized that they were not just ordinary cops. MF. Mutant Force. Special unit hiring men and mutant, dealing with mutant relations and mutant related crimes fast and efficiently.


Mattress was lumpy. It smelt funny. Bare light bulb hanging from the ceiling was blinking from time to time erratically. At least he thought so. Seizures and spasms made it difficult to fully comprehend his surroundings, and he could only wait for his mutation to sweep off toxins from his blood and flesh.

Max shoved Marie to his arms as soon as he opened to door of the dimly lit apartment.

“This little missus’ a freak. She’s all yours now. I don’t want to see her, or you, ever again.”
He took the girl with no arguments. Max had done his share. For now.


Marie was sharing the cell with him. As far as he knew, it wasn’t a standard procedure. And it wouldn’t last long. She was here only waiting for the social worker. They had no place to keep her, so they had tossed her in with him. He was in no condition to harm her. He was in no condition to harm anyone, period. And it was quite apparent that he had nothing to do with her condition. She had made it perfectly clear, screaming and trashing violently as soon as she was separated from him.

Trip to the small cabin had been uneventful, just as days spent there. For him they had been pure agony, trying to take care of the girl, hoping against hope that Magneto had somehow miraculously survived so he could kill him again.

Magneto had used Marie to get rid of wrong opinions. Politicians and those in power, they all had very common, very humane flaw. Just like anybody else they craved the forbidden. Magneto offered it, seemingly for free. Cost of one night spent with a girl was often paid with life and a sizeable fraction of Marie’s sanity.


“Kid?” Perhaps it was okay to speak now. Tremors had stopped and he was able to form coherent sentences.
“Kid? Are you alright?” He could see her from the corner of his eye, squeezed against the furthest corner of the cell; her eyes scrunched tightly shut and small palms practically glued over her ears. He turned on his side, slowly and carefully to avoid cramping. Horrible sinking and spinning feeling made the mattress underneath tilt alarmingly and he fell face first on to the cold concrete floor.

“Oww… shit…” He struggled to turn his head. The sound of cartilage snapping had been all too audible and he could already taste the blood at the back of his throat. He tried to move his hands, tried to turn over but it really wasn’t working.
“I really could use some help here…”

“Kid? Help me up… We can go and have some muesli as soon as you help me up…” No answer. Had she ever really liked the shit, or had it been just some sort of phase in her life?
“Come on! I could use a hand…”

Raising his head for the required inches that it took to see the girl wore him out. He managed to steal a brief glimpse of her before his head fell again. What he saw made him renew his efforts. She was still in the same corner as before, but it didn’t look like she was sitting there to hide. Come to think of it, she hadn’t moved an inch from her slouched position.

She was unconscious.